• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V SPOILER THREAD| [EXTR3ME] Such a lust for conclusion, T-WHHOOOO

We don't know that now. The frequency changes when he gives bad advice, so there is a valid argument to be made that it is actually Venom trying to deter him (there is no way Kojima planned that, of course. It does fit though).

That's a really thin justification considering a lot of characters change their codec frequencies, and it still wouldn't explain why Venom would claim to be Big Boss when he meets Solid Snake.

There are still a lot of problems with the overall plot, but I think it definitely makes more sense if Venom is working with Big Boss the whole time.

fastmower

I guess that is part of Kojima's new 'Show don't tell' approach to story telling. No bad thing. I noticed it because of the lack of ostensible character moments like in past games (Raiden breaking down to Rose, Meryl opening up to Snake etc.), but I think it's just a lot more subtle than before. Kaz is a great example of this, I think. His transformation from sleazy (PW) to angry (TPP - Chapter 1) to complete paranoiac (TPP - Chapter 2) was pretty interesting to watch.
MGSV is not a "show, don't tell story" at all.

SomTervo

That's an interesting point. After rescuing Kaz, he even says to him "Tell me what to do".

Interestingly, the one time Venom/The Player actually gets to make a choice, where he isn't bound by fate or the Will of others, is when he's standing over Quiet.

Not sure what that implies yet. I need to have a think about it. MGSV royally screwed my mind XD

It is quite the mindfuck. Remember he also makes a(n arbitrary) choice when standing over Skullface, too.

That's a really thin justification considering a lot of characters change their codec frequencies, and it still wouldn't explain why Venom would claim to be Big Boss when he meets Solid Snake.

There are still a lot of problems with the overall plot, but I think it definitely makes more sense if Venom is working with Big Boss the whole time.

I can't think of any other characters who change frequency, unless there was some subterfuge going on?

Allow to rephrase Quiet don't matter for a goddamn motherfucking thing, was I clear enough this time?

Whoa there, take it easy.

I think she does, I thought she was a great character on paper. As with most of the game's story, Koji fluffed the execution with constant tit shots and awful, pointless visual design. That aside, while she doesn't matter in the overarching 30-year MGS story line, she had a good place in MGSV even just as Skullface's defecting A-soldier.

You didn't think that justified her. That's OK. (I still don't really get your point of view, though.)

Your previous post said something totally different, and promoted an argument that loads of characters throughout the series (and by extension in any series ever) should be removed just because they don't "add" anything. It's not about what character "add" sometimes. Though I get that may not have been your point.

Have you considered that Venom may be shedding the last of his consciousness, the one that subconsciously made him feel out of place and - for my money - made him see himself as a demon for what he was doing? When he looks at the mirror before punching it, he looks confident.

When he punches the mirror, the last piece of his old identity dies and he stops seeing himself as a demon. He's just Big Boss.

He is justified.

Ah, so you're suggesting when he punches the mirror that he finally subscribes all the way to being Big Boss? Like the conversion is complete, hence he has "become a demon"?

Yeah I guess that works, too. Neat idea.

valkyre

Ah, that's not what's happening though. He's not saying "Fuck you Big Boss, but fine I'll do what you want and fight Solid Snake."

He literally can't escape. Solid Snake is about to kill him; he's cornered. He's covered in blood and there's sounds of a massacre – Solid Snake is already killing fucking everything and has basically beaten him by the time he listens to Intrude.

He's saying "Fuck you Big Boss, you sent Solid Snake to kill me, and now I'm stuck here with no way out and Solid Snake right outside. You sold me down the river." *punches mirror*

Even if that were the case, it is still irrelevant towards the argument I made. :)

Lets assume that it is as you describe, and Venom has no other thing left to do than fight Snake. If he is so mad at BB... why go along pretending he is BB during the last encounter with Snake? Remember in the final fight between SS and Venom in MG1, Venom completely plays the part of being BB.

Why do that? If you want to take revenge to the real BB who fucked you up, why not just go along and expose to SS and the U.S. the entire plan?

This entire version of what happened in MG1 leaves a lot of plotholes open, to the point it really doesnt justify the reasoning of both BB and Venom. That is why I consider Wiki's version , more credible.

Yes, I agree and besides it would make sense for BB to change frequency to try and sabotage SS mission. He wouldnt try and do that over the normal frequency were its probably monitored by the U.S.

BB changing frequencies is a perfectly logical thing to do considering the circumstances.

Guys in mission 9 backup back down, do any of the prisoners get killed if you take too long?

My strategy is to shoot all tanks and upcoming reinforcements and then bide my time with all prisoners. Will it work, or are they eventually killed if you take too long to reach them?

This prisoner will be killed by the four soldiers if you arrive late, I made this video, I hope it help:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_VM4RjplHIk

Johndoey

Banned
It is quite the mindfuck. Remember he also makes a(n arbitrary) choice when standing over Skullface, too.

I can't think of any other characters who change frequency, unless there was some subterfuge going on?

Whoa there, take it easy.

I think she does, I thought she was a great character on paper. As with most of the game's story, Koji fluffed the execution with constant tit shots and awful, pointless visual design. That aside, while she doesn't matter in the overarching 30-year MGS story line, she had a good place in MGSV even just as Skullface's defecting A-soldier.

You didn't think that justified her. That's OK. (I still don't really get your point of view, though.)

Your previous post said something totally different, and promoted an argument that loads of characters throughout the series (and by extension in any series ever) should be removed just because they don't "add" anything. It's not about what character "add" sometimes. Though I get that may not have been your point.

Sorry about that I should have clarified my initial post, yes I just meant that her biggest effect is on Venom's little arc or whatever and she doesn't even feel integral to that. Didn't mean to snap at you.

Quiet is the Cecile of MGSV too me.

saher

Banned
I destroyed the antenna in C2W misssion before starting the mission and now everytime i do the mission the rank doesnt show up on the mission list, anyone have this problem on ps4?

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member

Venom does, but not Venom/The Player. It's interesting that we are given that particular option... especially in contrast to MGS3's similar scene.

MGSV is not a "show, don't tell story" at all.

Yeah. Most of the story is in cassette tapes...

Apologies, I meant specifically in terms of character, hence my examples. Poor choice of words on my part. In that way - and relative to other MGS games - it most certainly is. There are no long, melodramatic monologues stating people's emotional states (i.e. Rose/Jack, Meryl and her internal struggles etc.). The inner-workings of characters are shown via their actions. That's exactly what "show, don't tell" means in terms of character.

There is a shit ton of plot exposition, as per usual.

It's not a justification, it's merely an interesting observation that fits the facts.

Remember, he's spent 18 years in character. Venom is long gone. He's (probably) already embraced his role a long time ago when he found out the truth, that doesn't mean he can't be angry at the end when he realises quite how manipulated he's been. Him walking off into the dark, seeing himself beyond the broken mirror as Big Boss (through the looking glass, so to speak), is him accepting that part.

Either works, of course.

Yes, I agree and besides it would make sense for BB to change frequency to try and sabotage SS mission. He wouldnt try and do that over the normal frequency were its probably monitored by the U.S.

BB changing frequencies is a perfectly logical thing to do considering the circumstances.

Of course, but in light of the Truth, it is possible to argue that it's Venom. I'm not saying that's a fact, just an interesting take on the established events.

MG1

Big Boss - 120.85 (later 120.13)

Schneider - 120.79 (later 120.26)

Diane - 120.33 (later 120.91)

MG2

Colonel Campbell - 140.85 (later 140.66 and then 140.24)

Holly White - 140.15 (later 140.76)

:p

Ashura_MX

I destroyed the antenna in C2W misssion before starting the mission and now everytime i do the mission the rank doesnt show up on the mission list, anyone have this problem on ps4?

The AA radar stays gone, the smaller antennas respawn after a while, just take a trip to motherbase and do a few sideops the try again.

muteki

So happy to have this finished.

I thought the big "twist" at the end was good, but executed poorly. I had an idea that would be the case after going through the prologue the first time, with all the hints they were dropping. The results coming back from Eli's DNA test just confirmed it for me.

I wonder why since they were still playing along with the ruse why they didn't just tell not-Boss that Eli was his son. Why not?

Also, mission 45 was great. Glad I decided to say screw it an go with it, even though I used Quiet most of the time since unlocking her anyway.

The whole Paz thing was BS. I mean, it was BS that she was back alive too, but, I guess Ocelot's visit to the room wasn't real too?

valkyre

I had forgotten about that detail, it makes me love this twist even more.

If Venom wanted to do that, he could simply just tell Snake the truth about Venom and Big Boss before the fight.

And yet at that point Venom still pretends to be Big Boss. It doesnt add up.

That is why I am suppoting the opinion that wants Venom and BB working together the entire time and underestimating SS's abilities.

SomTervo

Even if that were the case, it is still irrelevant towards the argument I made. :)

Lets assume that it is as you describe, and Venom has no other thing left to do than fight Snake. If he is so mad at BB... why go along pretending he is BB during the last encounter with Snake? Remember in the final fight between SS and Venom in MG1, Venom completely plays the part of being BB.

Why do that? If you want to take revenge to the real BB who fucked you up, why not just go along and expose to SS and the U.S. the entire plan?

This entire version of what happened in MG1 leaves a lot of plotholes open, to the point it really doesnt justify the reasoning of both BB and Venom. That is why I consider Wiki's version , more credible.

Very true.

On the one hand: assuming MG1 is fully canon, then yes, the end of 46: Truth is Venom Snake succumbing to being Big Boss entirely.

On the other hand: so much shit was retconned from MG1/2 I've never really considered them canon (well, MG1 at least). He even retconned things in the remake of MG1, IIRC. So I've been going along basically entirely forgetting about MG1/2's events, and havent played them since 2002 or something :p

I should replay the games before I dig any deeper ITT.

MG1

Big Boss - 120.85 (later 120.13)

Schneider - 120.79 (later 120.26)

Diane - 120.33 (later 120.91)

MG2

Colonel Campbell - 140.85 (later 140.66 and then 140.24)

Holly White - 140.15 (later 140.76)

:p

Good call – although see my reply immediately above. I've been trucking along, barely considering MG1/2 canon, and haven't played them in yonks so don't remember them. I've got a vibe that Kojima is resolving the Metal Gear Solid series, not the Metal Gear series.

In the Metal Gear Solid series, there aren't any frequency changes unless someone is messing with you/hiding themselves.

Sorry about that I should have clarified my initial post, yes I just meant that her biggest effect is on Venom's little arc or whatever and she doesn't even feel integral to that. Didn't mean to snap at you.

Yeah that's fair enough – no worries.

Cryoteck

Does anyone else think that the big reveal would have worked better if it took place earlier? It's not a good twist to end your story on since you don't have to stop and rethink everything that happened in the game like bioshock infinite or MGS3. I think the twist would work if it happens earlier since the interesting part of the twist would be Venom's reaction to it and how he deals with it. It's a twist that more defines the story that comes after its revelation rather than what comes before.

SomTervo

Does anyone else think that the big reveal would have worked better if it took place earlier? It's not a good twist to end your story on since you don't have to stop and rethink everything that happened in the game like bioshock infinite or MGS3. I think the twist would work if it happens earlier since the interesting part of the twist would be Venom's reaction to it and how he deals with it. It's a twist that more defines the story that comes after its revelation rather than what comes before.

It might have - but then arguably it would be similar to the Raiden "twist". I think he wanted to mess with the player's expectations/experience even more, so he put the twist at the end instead of the start.

I see what you mean, though, about the twist being arguably the start of a character progression arc, rather than the end. I suppose the 10 year time jump does show how things panned out, in a really opaque way.

I was done with the game once I reached the credits but then found out that there was more to go, but it was repeat missions and the prior 50 hours or so were already a chore. Since then I've read about the him not really being Big Boss or whatever, and I just think it's weird that despite playing the game for over 50 hours and seeing the credits that I still didn't see or experience the game's twist or whatever.

PokéKong

Let's remember that this is a Japanese game, which was once "Project Ogre", and that being a demon/oni is not synonymous with being flat out evil. Being a demon may not have anything directly to do with the morality of his deeds, it could all just be harkening back to the Red Oni Blue Oni folktale, Venom feeling conflicted about which one he is, the one secretly helping the other or BB helping him, and maybe finally realizing the demon thing was all a lie and he's only got himself to look out for.

Ashura_MX

There is no twist at all people is just not paying attention, the helicopter reflection is the more IN YO FACE BITCHES proof that shit is going down around Venom.
He barely talks, the paz hallucination, etc, etc.

MAX PAYMENT

PokéKong;180756494 said:
Let's remember that this is a Japanese game, which was once "Project Ogre", and that being a demon/oni is not synonymous with being flat out evil. Being a demon may not have anything directly to do with the morality of his deeds, it could all just be harkening back to the Red Oni Blue Oni folktale, Venom feeling conflicted about which one he is, the one secretly helping the other or BB helping him, and maybe finally realizing the demon thing was all a lie and he's only got himself to look out for.

Oh yeah. I definitely contribute a lot of MGS's wtf-isms as being related to my own culture shock of not fully understanding Japanese mentality.

SomTervo

There is no twist at all people is just not paying attention, the helicopter reflection is the more IN YO FACE BITCHES proof that shit is going down around Venom.
He barely talks, the paz hallucination, etc, etc.

If it weren't an MGS game, I'd agree with you. I saw all the signs, too.

However, it was an MGS game. So I had to take every single hint or suggestion with a bucket or salt. All or none of it could have been true. So I just didn't theorise about any of it.

BTW, how do we get the reflection thing? I look around in the helicopter and see nothing. I heard about it ages ago and still haven't seen it.

PokéKong;180756494 said:

That's awesome.

Black Duke

Neo Member
I was done with the game once I reached the credits but then found out that there was more to go, but it was repeat missions and the prior 50 hours or so were already a chore. Since then I've read about the him not really being Big Boss or whatever, and I just think it's weird that despite playing the game for over 50 hours and seeing the credits that I still didn't see or experience the game's twist or whatever.

which one of the like 4 credit screens? :)

EDIT: the last few pages were damn good. keep it up GAF, especially Neiteio

Haunted

Mission 46 is the final mission and the ending of the game.

I'm guessing you're referring to mission 31, which is just the ending of the first part (I think that's made pretty clear?).

But yes, MGSV is much, much longer than any previous MGS game due to its structure.

Menthuss

BTW, how do we get the reflection thing? I look around in the helicopter and see nothing. I heard about it ages ago and still haven't seen it.

During nighttime, position the camera so you can see both Venom and the glass on the side of the chopper and then zoom in.

Blader

Well, the game wasn't done yet. You finished chapter 1.

Not all of chapter 2's missions are repeats; iirc there are 7 story missions and 7 or 8 story-related side ops.

which one of the like 4 credit screens? :)

I'm guessing you're referring to mission 31, which is just the ending of the first part (I think that's made pretty clear?)

Well, the game wasn't done yet. You finished chapter 1.

Yeah I read up about this but just couldn't be assed enough to keep going, the previous 50+ hours were a slog to me and the "resolution" in the last chapter was laughable stuff. Whatever the game was trying to do was obviously just not for me.

Roni

Gold Member
If Venom wanted to do that, he could simply just tell Snake the truth about Venom and Big Boss before the fight.

And yet at that point Venom still pretends to be Big Boss. It doesnt add up.

That is why I am suppoting the opinion that wants Venom and BB working together the entire time and underestimating SS's abilities.

I think that's the case too, I agree with you.
But that detail doesn't contradict our theory: Big Boss could just be using a frequency not being monitored by FOXHOUND command to hinder Solid Snake's progress and keep his cover a secret or he could have just delegated the task of misleading Solid Snake to Venom. Whatever fits. It's a wonderful detail.

Johndoey

Banned
I thin it be two best pieces of writing in this game come from the Ocelot/real Big Boss tapes, when Big is super into destroying another human being to get some heat off him, it does the best job of displaying his lack of concern for his followers. The cloning tapes where Big dismisses his kids, while Venom does his best to integrate Eli. It's simple but effective.
Also this makes Solid Snake constant argument that he's no hero even more laughable, dudes a saint compared to pretty much all of these people.

Nobody knew Big Boss was the leader of Outer Heaven so why didn't Venom just leave the area when he figured out Solid Snake was a cool dude who was swaggering through the base. The Metal Gear gets destroyed before the face off if I recall correctly, dude could've probably left and upheld the ruse for a while longer. Especially if Grey Fox was in on it from the start. I need to check the wiki again.

Fixnow

Neo Member
I feel so stupid that I finished M46 and kept playing for about 10h thinking there is more....then I got tired of doing random shit, came here only to realize the truth...we have an incomplete game.

Ludens

Banned
Still 17 missions to get 100% by completing all tasks.
I'm the only one thinking "Back up, back down" is simply awful to 100%?

I mean, you need to rescue six prisoners, so or you need that while you destroy all vehicles, or you need to play the whole mission again just in order to grab prisoners. Also you NEED to destroy all vehicles in order to grab three tanks from the last squad the game spawns.
It's just boring like hell for me :|

SomTervo

I thin it be two best pieces of writing in this game come from the Ocelot/real Big Boss tapes, when Big is super into destroying another human being to get some heat off him, it does the best job of displaying his lack of concern for his followers. The cloning tapes where Big dismisses his kids, while Venom does his best to integrate Eli. It's simple but effective.
Also this makes Solid Snake constant argument that he's no hero even more laughable, dudes a saint compared to pretty much all of these people.

Deffo, and surprisingly it links well with the end of MGS4 where Big Boss echoes this exact sentiment.

NoFoX

Still 17 missions to get 100% by completing all tasks.
I'm the only one thinking "Back up, back down" is simply awful to 100%?

I mean, you need to rescue six prisoners, so or you need that while you destroy all vehicles, or you need to play the whole mission again just in order to grab prisoners. Also you NEED to destroy all vehicles in order to grab three tanks from the last squad the game spawns.
It's just boring like hell for me :|

Just rescue all prisoners and kill 1 tank.
Then (2nd playthrough), fulton or destroy all tanks.
All step by step.

Johndoey

Banned
MGS4 Big Boss is basically a deadbeat dad who shows up suddenly after his son is a huge success, "please forgive me I've made so many mistakes, lend me a fiver" .

valkyre

To me, Solid Snake was always what Metal Gear was all about. And Kojima makes it even more apparent with each game he releases.

This series is all about Solid Snake.

How the recessive, the "weak" clone of a Legendary soldier was able to triumph over all of them.

Solid Snake didnt succumb to his genes like Liquid, to his memes like Solidus, to his lust for revenge like Big Boss. Life threw everything at him and yet he was the one that kept absorbing everything and still having the heart to keep pushing through, not from the desire to become something big and great, but the desire to do the right thing.

When Otacon says in MGS4 that Solid Snake has lived a hard life, its really that. Solid Snake was betrayed, he lost his loved ones, he was manipulated, he lost his youth and he was destined to live in the shadow of his father and brothers.

And yet he had the will to overcome all of them and triumph. MGSV further adds the the real legend of MGS : Saga that is Solid Snake.

Without ever meeting the Boos or being aware of her "Will", Solid Snake seemed to be closer than either Zero or Big Boss ever were.

A big salute to the man David. The one who nobody thought had a chance, and yet proved them all wrong. The true hero of this saga. Everyone should just stand up and salute him now that MGS is over.

Blader

Yeah I read up about this but just couldn't be assed enough to keep going, the previous 50+ hours were a slog to me and the "resolution" in the last chapter was laughable stuff. Whatever the game was trying to do was obviously just not for me.

There's not really any kind of resolution for either ending anyway. Mission 31 is an ending, and Mission 46 is an ending, but neither really wraps up the game in some resolute way. And from what I saw of it, I don't think the cut Mission 51 does either.

was just thinking that the way Naked Snake took out Quiet actually sort of makes the way Solid Snake takes him out sort of fitting ;p

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Aww

If you take a break from playing the game for a while or, alternatively, set your system's clock ahead by at least a month and return to Mother Base, a short cutscene will be triggered. In it D-Dog is seen waiting for Snake's helicopter to land and, once it does, jumps on Snake to happily greet him. Ocelot also scolds Snake for being away for too long because it affetcs his soldiers and because D-Dog really misses him. S'cute!

http://www.ign.com/wikis/metal-gear...nt page)&utm_content=4&utm_campaign=Spotlight

METAL GEAR SOLID V: EASTER EGG!: DD misses Snake!

Haunted

That's a shame!

But it happens.

To me, Solid Snake was always what Metal Gear was all about. And Kojima makes it even more apparent with each game he releases.

How the recessive, the "weak" clone of a Legendary soldier was able to triumph over all of them.

Solid Snake didnt succumb to his genes like Liquid, to his memes like Solidus, to his lust for revenge like Big Boss. Life threw everything at him and yet he was the one that kept absorbing everything and still having the heart to keep pushing through, not from the desire to become something big and great, but the desire to do the right thing.

When Otacon says in MGS4 that Solid Snake has lived a hard life, its really that. Solid Snake was betrayed, he lost his loved ones, he was manipulated, he lost his youth and he was destined to live in the shadow of his father and brothers.

And yet he had the will to overcome all of them and triumph. MGSV further adds the the real legend of MGS : Saga that is Solid Snake.

Without ever meeting the Boos or being aware of her "Will", Solid Snake seemed to be closer than either Zero or Big Boss ever were.

A big salute to the man David. The one who nobody thought had a chance, and yet proved them all wrong. The true hero of this saga. Everyone should just stand up and salute him now that MGS is over.

Solid Snake is the Biggest Boss indeed.

And yet, all he gets in this game is a passing mention in one of the truth tapes.

I think what really frustrates me is how little effort it would have taken to appease fans in this regard.

For instance:

After the mirror punching scene it fades to black, you hear the iconic codec beep, and then: "This is Solid Snake. Commencing Operation Intrude N313" *stinger*

Like, Kojima could have done any one of a number of small, nearly insignificant things to at least acknowledge that the series is supposed to include the title character.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Now if only we could swap DD with Quiet ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡ °)

awesomefacesmugsmall2osmx.png

Top Bottom