• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V SPOILER THREAD| [EXTR3ME] Such a lust for conclusion, T-WHHOOOO

Golnei

How was this relegated to a tape? I didn't even know it existed until now - at least they made sure you'd come across Behind the Drapery.

The amount of music that was written for this game and barely used is ridiculous - those two, The Tangerine, Nitrogen, Dormant Stream, Midnight Mirage and the Lion King pastiche stand out the most; as well as even A Phantom Pain and Sins of the Father themselves, though at least the latter two were on the soundtrack.

Forkball

Here's how I would reboot MGS.

+Keep Snake Eater the same, but just make The Boss' ideas something that inspire Big Boss and not a constitution that everyone and their dog tries to force upon the world. Take out or heavily modify the Patriots stuff.
+Big Boss starts out with good intentions (saving the world) but then slowly becomes some sort of fascist dictator who loses sight of his ideals. Let the player, like, you know, SEE THIS HAPPEN.
+Real ass Big Boss founds Outer Heaven. No Zanzibar Land junk. Solid Snake defeats real ass Big Boss.
+Keep MGS 1 the same.
+Take out the Patriots AI in MGS2, and maybe even Solidus. Keep the ideas theme about Raiden trying to be his own man instead of emulating Solid Snake. It ties in well with the whole "legacy" theme that is prevalent throughout the series. Hell maybe even Big Boss is alive but then comes back for a speech ala MGS4, who cares.

THE END

StoveOven

Banned

+Keep Snake Eater the same, but just make The Boss' ideas something that inspire Big Boss and not a constitution that everyone and their dog tries to force upon the world. Take out or heavily modify the Patriots stuff.
+Big Boss starts out with good intentions (saving the world) but then slowly becomes some sort of fascist dictator who loses sight of his ideals. Let the player, like, you know, SEE THIS HAPPEN.
+Real ass Big Boss founds Outer Heaven. No Zanzibar Land junk. Solid Snake defeats real ass Big Boss.
+Keep MGS 1 the same.
+Take out the Patriots AI in MGS2, and maybe even Solidus. Keep the ideas theme about Raiden trying to be his own man instead of emulating Solid Snake. It ties in well with the whole "legacy" theme that is prevalent throughout the series. Hell maybe even Big Boss is alive but then comes back for a speech ala MGS4, who cares.

THE END

I like it for the most part, although I'm not sure if the idea of a more simple Metal Gear saga is appealing to me.

However, I take some issues with the MGS2 changes. One, the relationship between Solidus and Raiden is supposed to mimic the one between Solid and Big Boss, meaning it thematically fits the game. Also, while I agree the AI is dumb, you need some way for information control to be brought into the game, otherwise it loses a lot of what makes it special.

Ashura_MX

+Keep MGS 1 the same.

THE END

If you mean reboot for the sake of more Metal Gear sure, if you mean go back in time and do it your way, no thanks, I like the whole of MGS as is, this includes MGSV with all my bitching.

Fuck I can't stop playing it, its just that good, I'm not even doing missions, just doing side objectives and failing miserably at getting S ranks in a few missions.

This is all I want while the rest remains the same as it is right now.

TheBowen

Sat alone in a boggy marsh
+Take out the Patriots AI in MGS2, and maybe even Solidus.
THE END

tumblr_inline_mp7y8bSFGG1rfu9oh.gif

No.

Also to actually make the series better all that needs to be done is too remake V and take out the double big boss thing and actually make it about what it what actually suppose to be about, which is big boss fall from grace instead of some pointless venom story that adds almost nothing to the overall plot.

Seriously we got 4 games:
- Portable Ops (Good story, but some of it not canon)
- Peace Walker (Shit Tier)
- Ground Zeros
- Metal Gear Solid: Tactical Venom Saint of Mother Base

4 games and not one shows big boss actually becoming a villain like we see in MG1. Wtf

No.

Also to actually make the series better all that needs to be done is too remake V and take out the double big boss thing and actually make it about what it what actually suppose to be about, which is big boss fall from grace instead of some pointless venom story that adds almost nothing to the overall plot.

- Ground Zeros

4 games and not one shows big boss actually becoming a villain like we see in MG1. Wtf

Get ready for a bunch of people to come and tell you "bluh bluh it's not about villains no absolute enemies it's the series overall message guhhhh" instead of owning up to the fact that Kojima had a tendency to leave critical story elements out of the games because he has no idea how to execute them effectively.

The misdirection here is nearly on the same level as the misdirection with MGS2. The difference is there was a payoff with MGS2. There's nothing like that here. Unless you're the sort of easily entertained chump who's wowed by things like "oh gee Big Boss was me look my name is in the game!"

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member

No.

- Ground Zeros

But it's not about villains. There being no absolute enemies is the series' overall message. It has nothing to do with Kojima leaving out stuff. He can show those events effectively if he wanted to. Don't know what you're on about, mate.

The misdirection here is easily on the same level as the misdirection in MGS2. Weren't you impressed how "we" are Big Boss? Like, come on, man, your name was in the game. YOUR ACTUAL NAME! Didn't that totally blow your mind?!

brau

Get ready for a bunch of people to come and tell you "bluh bluh it's not about villains no absolute enemies it's the series overall message guhhhh" instead of owning up to the fact that Kojima had a tendency to leave critical story elements out of the games because he has no idea how to execute them effectively.

The misdirection here is nearly on the same level as the misdirection with MGS2. The difference is there was a payoff with MGS2. There's nothing like that here. Unless you're the sort of easily entertained chump who's wowed by things like "oh gee Big Boss was me look my name is in the game!"

But it's not about villains. There being no absolute enemies is the series' overall message. It has nothing to do with Kojima leaving out stuff. He can show those events effectively if he wanted to. Don't know what you're on about, mate.

The misdirection here is easily on the same level as the misdirection in MGS2. Weren't you impressed how "we" are Big Boss? Like, come on, man, your name was in the game. YOUR ACTUAL NAME! Didn't that totally blow your mind?!

lol.

I wish there was something more interesting to talk about MGSV. I booted it up this morning to try MGSV... and the ps4 said the update was not available at this time. So i played on PC... and played around a bit.

It feels pretty pointless when i consider everything that MGSV went through story wise.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
It feels pretty pointless when i consider everything that MGSV went through story wise.

That's a damn shame. It does reframe everything, but I quite like it.

You know what the biggest gut punch in the game is post-twist? People still saluting you and referring to you as Boss.

brau

The only real villain in the series is Volgin.

I disagree... its between Kojima and Konami. One of them is worse than the other. I still yet to decide who is worse.

That's a damn shame. It does reframe everything, but I quite like it.

You know what the biggest gut punch in the game is post-twist? People still saluting you and referring to you as Boss.

i guess only VS knows the truth no?

I always thought it was a dead give away like 10 hrs into the game, when i heard a conversation at MB. WHere these 2 guys were talking about BB going into MB and being all shady.. and that he never comes out of the place, and to not get caught by him slacking or you'll get the rough end of the stick.

I never go somewhere in MB.... so i just assumed they were talking about the real BB.

Go Kojima!

brau

Haha! So meta!

Huey. Huey is the worst because he doesn't even realise how much of a fucking murderous little weasel he is. At least you know where you stand with Volgin.

Is being an asshole the same as being a villain? Huey is just an asshole. Like a really big one. Just terrible.

I luff you

News Bot

Banned
He's not that bad. He only abuses one of his partners, and leaves Venom alone after he realises he's not Big Boss. A misunderstood hero, really.

Outside of his rampant sadism, Volgin is no different from Zero. Both wanted to make the world whole again.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
i guess only VS knows the truth no?

Yeah. It's the fact I know.

I always thought it was a dead give away like 10 hrs into the game, when i heard a conversation at MB. WHere these 2 guys were talking about BB going into MB and being all shady.. and that he never comes out of the place, and to not get caught by him slacking or you'll get the rough end of the stick.

I never go somewhere in MB.... so i just assumed they were talking about the real BB.

Go Kojima!

Wow, I didn't get that! I guess if you went around CQC-OMG everyone it would fit? :D

brau

Wow, I didn't get that! I guess if you went around CQC-OMG everyone it would fit? :D

did you hear the same conversation? they just talk about him never leaving a building in MB. And he is always there at night or something. I forget. I'll look for a youtube video.

Really didn't imply of you going to hit them... just that he is in MB.. when i am not there that often.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
I luff you

;)

Is being an asshole the same as being a villain? Huey is just an asshole. Like a really big one. Just terrible.

Huey is definitely a villain.

did you hear the same conversation? they just talk about him never leaving a building in MB. And he is always there at night or something. I forget. I'll look for a youtube video.

Really didn't imply of you going to hit them... just that he is in MB.. when i am not there that often.

Ah, right. No, not heard it. Interesting!

Arttemis

I don't think I'll ever find every animal without a guide. I own the guide, but I've refrained from using any kind of assistance (aside from that link about scooting by everyone in OKB0 in D-Walker). I merely bought the book because it's filled with maps, and I freaking love maps.

I think I'll finish up the side-ops, S ranks, and mission objectives on my own, then use a guide for the animals.

Edit - Whoops, this is the spoiler thread, not the OT.

Has anyone else noticed how chopped up OKB0 seems on the eastern cliff? I truly think we were supposed to get a Groznij Grad or Shadow Moses scale base infiltration between it and and the Power Plant. There are roads that go off into a steep hill, and I doubt it was meant as an emergency stopping measure for trucks traveling the Afghan map. Those weird leftovers, and the fact that we never go inside the facilities in the Power Plant just scream out to me as more cut-content.

I really think we are left with only half the amount of missions and gameplay than what was intended.

brau

;)

Huey is definitely a villain.

Ah, right. No, not heard it. Interesting!

This one.

"I heard the boss has been going to that area under construction a lot lately."

"Yea, saw him myself."

"There's something in there.... "

"He's... probably just keeping tabs on the building work. I've seen him watching us, too. Don't let him catch you slacking off. "

"Ain't that the truth."

News Bot

Banned
I don't understand how people expect a fictitious world to all tie in perfectly. The series started in 1987? I think Kojima did a great job at even attempting to connect all this together. He is super creative and he gets slammed way too much.

Resident Evil is perfectly consistent in terms of plot details after 20 years with many different writers and there is more to that mythology than MGS, which is bogged down more by dialogue than actual details. There's absolutely no reason why a fictional universe can't tie in with itself over a long period of time except for the ineptitude or lack of care on behalf of the author.

Most authors of such large universes would do a logical thing and write a story bible. Kojima makes everything up as he goes along and will contradict anything older if he thinks something he recently thought of is cooler. Which is weird because it seems as if "cool" left the series after MGS3.

This one.

"Yea, saw him myself."

"He's... probably just keeping tabs on the building work. I've seen him watching us, too. Don't let him catch you slacking off. "

"Ain't that the truth."

Could that be referring to the Paz thing?

brau

Maybe... i don't recall when exactly i had this going on... but i think i didn't have the medical platform just yet. The only thing under construction was probably the intel and the main platform.

Anyways.... it was off. Made me wonder who they were talking about.. surely it was not me.

Arttemis

Resident Evil is perfectly consistent in terms of plot details after 20 years with many different writers and there is more to that mythology than MGS, which is bogged down more by dialogue than actual details. There's absolutely no reason why a fictional universe can't tie in with itself over a long period of time except for the ineptitude or lack of care on behalf of the author.

Most authors of such large universes would do a logical thing and write a story bible. Kojima makes everything up as he goes along and will contradict anything older if he thinks something he recently thought of is cooler. Which is weird because it seems as if "cool" left the series after MGS3.

He was done after MGS2. He was dragged back in for MGS3 so he gave it a decent shot. He was dragged back in to do more, and I think he stopped caring about the story and characters and just wanted to do weird shit and try new ideas for gameplay. MGS4 was a trainwreck in the story department, and only half a game in the gameplay department. At least when he was forced to do MGSV, he managed to nail down an excellent working selection of gameplay before half the game was thrown out the window by order of Konami.

News Bot

Banned
He was done after MGS2. He was dragged back in for MGS3 so he gave it a decent shot. He was dragged back in to do more, and I think he stopped caring about the story and characters and just wanted to do weird shit and try new ideas for gameplay. MGS4 was a trainwreck in the story department, and only half a game in the gameplay department. At least when he was forced to do MGSV, he managed to nail down an excellent working selection of gameplay before half the game was thrown out the window by order of Konami.

I suspect this is how it went down. That, or he was always a hack writer and it was Fukushima who gave MGS1-MGS3 their great stories with Kojima contributing basic ideas and themes.

Verder

episode 3 soon..
ebOT6OQ.jpg

Anyway,i'm think they are the
best couple
in the entire franchise tbh.

I feels shes just there to be there in mgs v(kind of eva 2.0). no relevance or significance later on after her quick interaction. Its almost like she was just side ops.

:)

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
I feels shes just there to be there in mgs v(kind of eva 2.0). no relevance or significance later on after her quick interaction. Its almost like she was just side ops.

:)

I see her as Venom's Gray Fox/Ninja stand-in. "Neither enemy or friend."

Except she is.

This one.

"Yea, saw him myself."

"Ain't that the truth."

Nice find!

Neiteio

Maybe... i don't recall when exactly i had this going on... but i think i didn't have the medical platform just yet. The only thing under construction was probably the intel and the main platform.

Anyways.... it was off. Made me wonder who they were talking about.. surely it was not me.
Are you guys serious? Of course it's referring to the Paz building. Your soldiers think you're crazy for repeatedly going in a room that's under construction.

If it played early for anyone, I'd just chalk that up to poor scripting.

brau

Are you guys serious? Of course it's referring to the Paz building. Your soldiers think you're crazy for repeatedly going in a room that's under construction.

If it played early for anyone, I'd just chalk that up to poor scripting.

maybe its the clue to get you to go to see Paz.

I really don't know. I just thought they were referring to someone else, since i had not discovered Paz. I got to go to her room way way later.

Roni

Gold Member

Oh, so you agree that MGSV is not the first time a critical story point was left out of the narrative and relegated to secondary storytelling methods?

Unless you're the sort of easily entertained chump who's wowed by things like "oh gee Big Boss was me look my name is in the game!"

Also, way to go buddy! That's how you keep the discussion constructive and respectful.

AniHawk

i beat the game last night. it was unintentionally hilarious because when i started i thought 'fuck that - i want to play as snake' and named my character snake and made him look like mgs3 snake as much as i could. so when he gets the passport it looks like the worst getaway plan ever.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
i beat the game last night. it was unintentionally hilarious because when i started i thought 'fuck that - i want to play as snake' and named my character snake and made him look like mgs3 snake as much as i could. so when he gets the passport it looks like the worst getaway plan ever.

I chuckled.

Oh, so you agree that MGSV is not the first time a critical story point was left out of the narrative and relegated to secondary storytelling methods?

I...don't think I've ever said otherwise? It's not like "he's always been kind of a shitty writer" is an acceptable excuse for MGSV's shitty writing, but at least none of the other ones left me feeling so unfulfilled and with a sense that nothing that transpired mattered at all.

Also, way to go buddy! That's how you keep the discussion constructive and respectful.

Oh lighten up, it's not like I've got...

WORDS THAT KILL.

AJV2OqE.gif

So, does anyone know if the door at the top of the Command Platform ever unlocks?

It pisses me off that each time I go to it - it gives me the locked "buzz" sound. It's infuriating.

Another unfinished aspect of the game I suppose. I wonder what was supposed to be inside?

Roni

Gold Member
I...don't think I've ever said otherwise? It's not like "he's always been kind of a shitty writer" is an acceptable excuse for MGSV's shitty writing.

Begs the question of what the f* were you and everyone else expecting when his track record is so homogeneous. Complaining about something that has always been there in the 8th entry of the series sounds to me as absurd as questioning why Final Fantasy is an RPG, why Dead Rising isn't a serious horror game, why Borderlands relies on so much meta language for its jokes or why every Rocksteady Batman game has a subtitle with the word Arkham in it.

Should be obvious that it's in the DNA of the damn franchise. Again, what were you expecting?

So, does anyone know if the door at the top of the Command Platform ever unlocks?

It pisses me off that each time I go to it - it gives me the locked "buzz" sound. It's infuriating.

Another unfinished aspect of the game I suppose. I wonder what was supposed to be inside?

Isn't that for invasions? FOBs use the same map as Motherbase.

Begs the question of what the f* were you and everyone else expecting when his track record is so homogeneous. Complaining about something that has always been there in the 8th entry of the series sounds to me as absurd as questioning why Final Fantasy is an RPG, why Dead Rising isn't a serious horror game, why Borderlands relies on so much meta language for its jokes or why every Rocksteady Batman game has a subtitle with the word Arkham in it.

Should be obvious that it's in the DNA of the damn franchise. Again, what were you expecting?

A game with an ending, at least. Maybe you missed the part I added to my post.

Holiday

Banned
Haha I did something similar, named my character Big Boss. So when he turned the photo over and it said "good luck big boss, from big boss" or whatever, I was confused for a moment.

The fact that only the medical platform and the R&D platform have any kind of interior areas or really any substance at all was staggering. The mother base gameplay demo at Gamescom implied a lot more, and it doesn't help that both the room with Battle Gear, and Battle Gear itself, both teased heavily in the game, are vapant gameplay features. All the purpose the room serves is to occasionally see Huey do something to BG, and the only purpose to BG is to complete some random combat deployment missions. I can't believe it even has less customization than Zeke, and can only be used for a select few missions.

Why did they screw up deployment of a super weapon compared to Peace Walker? Why did they screw up combat deployment compared to Outer Ops compared to PW? Why are the side ops just RNG missions and not side ops in the PW and GZ sense, new missions reusing older areas in different ways, sometimes semi canon, usually silly or over the top.

Why is PW better at staff management? In PW it was a simpler and more concise system, the [adjective] [animal] naming scheme actually creates less individuality for each soldier in my opinion, since you can't infer any kind of personality from those names compared to a simple animal designation. Having up to and more than a thousand troops compared to I think PW's limit of 200 or 300 means that it all becomes a blur, I don't really care much at all about all these troops, they're just fodder now. I was especially surprised at how homogenous the facial creation system actually looks with these guys, it looks like they couldn't get a good randomization system, and simply made a lot of base heads with a system that slightly tweaks each in different ways.

I'd guess that there might be a max of 50 of these "designed faces", with the randomization only coming in slight ways to not make weird monstrosities because they failed to balance the facial creation system the player uses. I swear, the faces don't really look like they were made with the player's facial creation system, it looks like they were made separately.

Also, anyone else disappointed at the detail of their custom face being lost in most cutscenes? It looked pretty damn good in the character creator and right after as the doctor shows it with the mirror, and again as he does it the second time at the end. But then when Venom sees it in the mirror at the very end, it looks weird and wooden, like a really bad mask that he's wearing. Why do the wrinkles and the quality of animation shown at the hospital not show up in almost all other situations? At least the chopper cinematic is alright, it doesn't look that good, but its better than the mirror scene at the very end.

Top Bottom