• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V SPOILER THREAD| [EXTR3ME] Such a lust for conclusion, T-WHHOOOO

I now really love venom Snake as a character and it just makes me mad that he was with the boss til the fucking end and big boss essentially fucks him over in metal gear

Neiteio

MGSV taught me that if a woman kills your doctor and nurse and tries to stab you, shoot you and strangle you, only to be set on fire and come back three weeks later to shoot you again, she's probably your soulmate and you should totally go for her.

Eusis

2015 is a much stronger year than 2008. I bet MGSV will make the Top Five, but Bloodborne will probably take No. 1 with The Old Hunters DLC. There's a lot of love for Witcher 3, as well. Fallout 4 has many people ready to love it (I'm not interested, but even I can see this). And the Nintendo vote will champion Splatoon and/or Mario Maker.

Such a great year for gaming. :)
I feel like MGSV may be easier to rationalize too, to me anyway. MGS4 came off as having a solid gameplay premise it just threw out about half way through (if that!) to focus on unrelenting fanservice that didn't even work out all that well, and by proxy it didn't really win the story angle either due to being a really messy conclusion to Metal Gear. From what I've played (... about 7 hours I think?) this definitely can count as one of the best raw gameplay experiences this year, so it doesn't really scream "I'm a mess" like MGS4 did.

And... yeah, 2008 was a pretty solid year, but looking back I don't think it really had that many clearcut GotY worthy candidates. And by that I mean games that you could get a lot of people to rally behind, not stuff like DQV or L4D that some people can really, REALLY rally behind but probably wouldn't gain a wide enough audience here (well, L4D probably could and did, but like MGS4 got?) and those that could probably weren't going to get as much vocal support here (GTAIV, Fallout 3.)

Neiteio

When was venom conceived as a clone of BB? I'm not clear on that. Isn't he technical only a few years old?
I... think you misunderstood the story. Like big time, lol.

Venom isn't a clone. He's a body double. He's The Medic, a soldier specializing in field surgery who was BB's apprentice. He was with BB in the chopper during Ground Zeroes. You also see him in the photos the doctor shows you, wearing body armor and holding a gun. BB says in the Doublethink tape that "he was always our best man."

When the chopper crashed and he went into a coma, Zero made the decision to give him facial reconstructive surgery and make him look like BB. He also use hypnotic suggestion so that Venom identifies himself as BB (even if his personality is still different).

So he's an adult male. He just looks like BB now, and thinks he is BB. :)

Artex

Banned
I... think you misunderstood the story. Like big time, lol.

Venom isn't a clone. He's a body double. He's The Medic, a soldier specializing in field surgery who was BB's apprentice. He was with BB in the chopper during Ground Zeroes. You also see him in the photos the doctor shows you, wearing body armor and holding a gun. BB says in the Doublethink tape that "he was always our best man."

When the chopper crashed and he went into a coma, Zero made the decision to give him facial reconstructive surgery and make him look like BB. He also use hypnotic suggestion so that Venom identifies himself as BB (even if his personality is still different).

So he's an adult male. He just looks like BB now, and thinks he is BB. :)

I see. When the game ended and I was confused someone linked me to a post that seemed like it implied he was a clone of BB initially. I want to be BB while I'm playing but I guess this feels ok.

Azzanadra

get your GMP in the red (spend all of it). Go back to MB. Great scene, Keifer was awesome in it.

That is an awesome scene, why was it locked behind intentionally sabotaging your base :( So many will never see this...

Seriously, you have to TRY to screw up your Mother Base in this game... getting GMP and resources is too easy.

Neiteio

I see. When the game ended and I was confused someone linked me to a post that seemed like it implied he was a clone of BB initially. I want to be BB while I'm playing but I guess this feels ok.
I remember I linked you to a post explaining the ending, but you must've misunderstood it since it didn't say he was a clone. No big deal, though.

I think the idea of a body double is more affecting since The Medic idolized BB and trusted him with all his heart. It stings to see BB was OK with a plan that turned his best soldier into a "meat shield" that would draw out his enemies while he worked on his military nation in secret. BB effectively put Venom, the Diamond Dogs, and even the hospital at Cyprus in the crosshairs (in the truth tapes they talk about how they'll fill up the hospital with innocent bodies to slow down XOF in the event of an attack).

It shows how far BB has fallen to accept tactics like this. He was nearly killed in GZ (but damage was minimal thanks to The Medic jumping in front of the blast). The incident must've finally made him feel "mortal." Now he's not taking any chances, and he's using people in a way that goes against the teachings of his mentor, The Boss.

By the way, that horn in Venom's head is likely the pelvic bone from Paz.

i'm thinking about restarting a new file and setting some new artificial challenges or parameters... still trying to think up what all to do though.

No Markers for sure, I did that the first time. I think I want to remove Crosshairs this time, too, to make laser sight more important for over the shoulder firing and also making ADS more important.

Was thinking to try a half-Subsistence approach, too. So, never change my load out... Start with the AM MRS-4 and WU tranq pistol, and never change it. Only use what I find in missions. Still considering this as I don't think I would enjoy the whole game with just those two weapon types so I perhaps I'd allow the base M2000 hunting rifle and the base S1000 shotgun, too. I actually sort of like playing without a back-slot weapon though, or if I have a back slot weapon then no long barrel rifle... only short barrel shotgun or short barrel assault rifle.

Nothing I can do about Extreme mode but... if I never upgrade my weapons, that would help because a lot of the guns will never 1-hit kill from body shots, then.

I want to make sure I Direct Contact all the important Mission recruits, too. I mostly did that my first time... so, I want to keep track the Mission 3 general, Mission 7 captain targets, etc. I did that with almost every assassination target but not some of the more generic prisoners (e.g. Laughing Wallaby). Also, I want to try keep track off and level up (earlier in the game, and get multiple medals) all the default Diamond Dogs you start the game with.

Not sure what else... I don't want to do some of odd things like 'beat the game with the water pistol'... stuff that still sort of fits the story and makes sense (e.g. using the base AM MRS-4 the whole games sort of works because Snake uses it in cutscenes the entire game). Subsistence mode doesn't really always make sense since the Diamond Dogs are a pretty rich and resourceful group but it could make sense since a lot of the Missions are not a matter of survival per se... but they're contracts. E.g. Mission 30 Venon would probably never do 'Subsistence' style because that's their end-game... but the vast majority of the Missions are meant to be secretive sneaking missions where you're hired to do a job and get out, hopefully no one the wiser. So it could be fun to try do most of the Missions with nothing but the default Diamond Dog camo, a base WU and a base AM MRS-4. oh... and if they release 'em soon, maybe I could do the whole game wearing just the MGS3 Snake Eater camo haha :D

Any ideas? I really wish the game had a European Extreme or Subsistence mode built for an entire playthrough, not just some Missions, and also a way of measure a total Foxhound total stealth/non-lethal playthrough or 'perfect' Big Boss playthrough (a la past games) rather than just mission-based rankings. A total measure of your entire playthrough and never resetting, never dying, never being spotted. And of course item rewards for doing so :D but oh well, I can still do a lot of them on my own for fun.

can you put PS4 save files on a usb? i've never actually tried ;p i'll have to do that later cuz i really don't want to delete my file :O i wonder what happens to your PvP rank and FOBs, I can't imagine RMT stuff would be stored client side... so if I start a new game, soon as I go online with my FOB it unlocks my fully 4/4 FOB since that data is stored server side? seems like storing that client side on a PS4 would be odd. anyhow, i guess if my PS+ sub expires in 2 days, my first file will stay save on the cloud too tho hehehe

So I've been wondering, whatever happened to Saladin? I think it was Venom's name before he became Venom. Big Boss takes whatever name you choose in the beginning as his own when he rides off on his bike to make his army nation thingie.

Neiteio

So I've been wondering, whatever happened to Saladin? I think it was Venom's name before he became Venom. Big Boss takes whatever name you choose in the beginning as his own when he rides off on his bike to make his army nation thingie.
Venom's name before he became Venom is whatever you choose to name him.

saladin? when is that even mentioned in mgs v... that's just a mgs 1 thing ain't it?

the codenames in the hospital were ishmael and ahab... but those are just code names specific to the hospital. by default, Venom's name is also john (which makes the passport scene a bit odd haha)

//edit// actually that reminds me though, I wonder if it's possible to make Venom's avatar basically look alike the Medic face from GZ files... the default avatar face actually looks a fair bit alike, could probably change it just a bit and look pretty darn close to the GZ medic file.

Betty

Banned
I can finally come in here!

I'll be honest, I enjoyed Chapter 1, but was feeling incredibly mixed on Chapter 2's lack of unique missions and no resolutions.

But then I played the Truth mission and it completely upgraded my feelings.

I was about ready to flip tables when I thought it was suggesting the real Big Boss goes on to become a civilian forever, and that the Phantom is the one we encounter throughout the series, even in MGS4.

But the fact that he's the one who dies in MG1 and the real Big Boss dies in MG2 is such a great way to get around the issue of trying to explain how Big Boss could've survived the events of MG1.

So far it's GOTG, Witcher 3 has a more cohesive and well paced story, but nothing so far touches the gameplay of MGSV.

But now I just really, really want to see a modern remake of MG1... even though it isn't truly needed and the series has been completely linked.

saladin? when is that even mentioned in mgs v... that's just a mgs 1 thing ain't it?

the codenames in the hospital were ishmael and ahab... but those are just code names specific to the hospital. by default, Venom's name is also john (which makes the passport scene a bit odd haha)

Sniperwolf called Big Boss Saladin. Big Boss takes Venom's real name as his own so maybe Venom's real name before he became the medic even was Saladin. That's my headcannon for now, unless some other proof shows up. Also John is Big Boss, not Venom.

i know but Venom's default name is also John so I just go with that for his name ... i dunno, his default GZ face looks like a john ;p

i don't think saladin has anything do with it.... that's just a name sniper wolf made up because she's kurdish.

//edit/// shit i just rewatched the prologue... there is no default name. i must have just instinctively typed john because this entire time since release i remembered it as having been his default name lol. well shit... nm then ;p

sonicmj1

You know what's interesting?

I met up with a friend today who is a hardcore gamer with great taste who doesn't follow any forums or communities. He plays every big game release and many of the good, smaller offerings. He loves games along with every other art(/entertainment) medium.

He asked me if I'd played The Phantom Pain. I said yes. He asked me if it was good. I said yes. And he said that's a relief, because he'd heard overwhelmingly from the internet (Twitter, various gaming sites, enthusiast press) that it was great.

That surprised me. I've been living so long in the GAFbubble it's hard to get a grip on how the gaming world generally feels about MGSV. And it seems, just as the critics gauged, that it is very broadly loved and hailed as a great game. This is going by one guy's subset perspective, though, obviously.

I think one should be careful of taking the discussion in this thread as too representative of feelings about the game as a whole.

Personally, I think MGSV's story fails at just about everything it attempts. I think the characters are flat, and feel very disconnected from the movement of the plot. I think most of what they introduce doesn't feel fitting for the game's universe, crazy as it is, and I feel like all the events in the game that tie into future titles do so in ways that don't feel meaningful to me at all.

But you know what? Despite all that, MGSV is one of my favorite games this year, I had a fantastic time with it, and I'd recommend it pretty highly. The open-ended mission design is a great fit with the game's sandbox mechanics. I kept going back to it even when I didn't really have much to do just to mess around with the systems.
At least until Konami fucked everything up with this recent patch...

So maybe it's not satisfying some players in the ways they expected to be satisfied, but there's still a huge part of the game that lots of people love which doesn't come up in spoiler thread discussions that much. I even recall Reebot talking up how great the game was as a toy in the same breath as he was criticizing it as an art piece.

KOMANI

KOMANI
i know but Venom's default name is also John so I just go with that for his name ... i dunno, his default GZ face looks like a john ;p

i don't think saladin has anything do with it.... that's just a name sniper wolf made up because she's kurdish.

//edit/// shit i just rewatched the prologue... there is no default name. i must have just instinctively typed john because this entire time since release i remembered it as having been his default name lol. well shit... nm then ;p
i gave him the name John as well. My thought was since BB was referred to both John and Jack, I'd give one of those names to the Medic.

Could someone clarify me what's the deal with all these "Boasters" I keep finding in the game? Does that mean what I'm Fultoning thinking he's an S+ may actually be a B? How can I know for sure what's the truth? Why are they so freaking many? Almost all my "best" recruits are boasters. What's the deal with them? Should I even bother?

Haunted

Could someone clarify me what's the deal with all these "Boasters" I keep finding in the game? Does that mean what I'm Fultoning thinking he's an S+ may actually be a B? How can I know for sure what's the truth? Why are they so freaking many? Almost all my "best" recruits are boasters. What's the deal with them? Should I even bother?
They're lying about their stats. Exaggerating. Boasting, you know. They're tricking the analyser.

As to why there are so many of them in your game, maybe word amongst the soldiers has gotten around that there's a crazy guy out there fultoning everyone with high stats and giving them a dream job in a mercenary paradise on the Seychelles.

Fuck, I'd lie to get that job as well.

SJRB

Gold Member

Boasters have a stats indication that is higher than they actually are. There is no way of knowing what their actual stats are until they are at Mother Base.

There is no way of knowing if all their stats are boasted, or just one.

I have noticed a huge increase in Boasters in the endgame, and I think it is just an incredibly poor design decision. In fact, it's a complete dick move not to have a scanner upgrade to filter out Boasters.
Boasters add nothing to the overall experience and are just there to piss of the player.

Me: "Awesome, S-rank soldier!"
Game: "Just kidding bitch, it's a Boaster! Get fucked!"

I've made it my personal mission to stab every Boaster in the heart. I'm not even bothering to fulton them to Mother Base, fuck them.

They're lying about their stats. Boasting, you know. They're tricking the analyser.

As to why there are so many of them in your game, maybe word amongst the soldiers has gotten around that there's a crazy guy out there fultoning everyone with high stats and giving them a dream job in a mercenary paradise on the Seychelles.

Fuck, I'd lie to get that job as well.
Are you kidding? Is that the real reason why I'm seeing so many or did you just made that up? Because if true I may have encountered something new that blew my mind 150 hours into the game. Just when I thought nothing could surprise me in this game.

If only the story had as much attention to detail and care as the gameplay has.

Haunted

Are you kidding? Is that the real reason why I'm seeing so many or did you just made that up? Because if true I may have encountered something new that blew my mind 150 hours into the game. Just when I thought nothing could surprise me in this game.

If only the story had as much attention to detail and care as the gameplay has.
it was a joke

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
I wonder if Stefanie Joosten will find more work in games. Her digital likeness might be owned by Konami now, although it was stylized, so it could be tweaked. But it wasn't just looks -- she proved she could do VA in both English and Japanese, and she did all of the motion capture and facial capture. Heck, she even sang one of the theme songs. Pretty impressive for an out-of-nowhere model. I'd think the bilingual VA and motion/facial capture would make her a candidate for more work, but who knows.

Make her the basis for a Resident Evil protagonist, pls.

And don't forget Navajo as well! I was very surprised to see how well she spoke English without accent, compared to how she speaks while streaming.

I think Kojima might get her again for future games. I'd love to see her in more games, specially if they base on her face.

Boasters have a stats indication that is higher than they actually are. There is no way of knowing what their actual stats are until they are at Mother Base.

There is no way of knowing if all their stats are boasted, or just one.

I have noticed a huge increase in Boasters in the endgame, and I think it is just an incredibly poor design decision. In fact, it's a complete dick move not to have a scanner upgrade to filter out Boasters.
Boasters add nothing to the overall experience and are just there to piss of the player.

Me: "Awesome, S-rank soldier!"
Game: "Just kidding bitch, it's a Boaster! Get fucked!"

I've made it my personal mission to stab every Boaster in the heart. I'm not even bothering to fulton them to Mother Base, fuck them.
How much do they boast? Does a C is boasting he's an S? Or are they just jumping from A++ to S? As in how many grades do they jump by boasting? If it's nothing more than two grades then I'll just Fulton S+ or S++.

It sucks you can only know once in MB.

Do they really show their true colors once in MB though? I've noticed they still say boaster even in MB but it's hard to keep track of who's who to compare if there was any difference between a boaster's stats in the field versus a boaster in MB.

I wonder if Stefanie Joosten will find more work in games. Her digital likeness might be owned by Konami now, although it was stylized, so it could be tweaked.
AFAIK it's impossible for a company to own your likeness exclusively. They can pay to use your likeness but not so you cannot use your own anywhere else.

I had almost forgotten about that. Though Snake does 'Saladin? ...You mean Big Boss?' which is why I thought that was a name he used before.

Do they really show their true colors once in MB though? I've noticed they still say boaster even in MB but it's hard to keep track of who's who to compare if there was any difference between a boaster's stats in the field versus a boaster in MB.

They do show their proper stats in Motherbase. The best thing to do is put 'em on Security so when people invade your FOB and fulton them, they'll feel the pain you felt while fultoning those Boasters.

hahaha that's what I did... I sort of do it less now that I'm basically at the point where I'm trying to make everyone at least A++ or S rank now and I'm basically frontloading my Security Team with highest Combat Units even if their RD, BD, Intel, etc are higher because I don't really need more RD, Intel, etc and I want to win PF Rank matches...

but for a while, I basically sorted by Skill and put almost all my Boaster specifically into my Security Team just to load up my FOB decks with 'em

What's up with this guy Ziang Tan? I have him in my waiting room with his shit stats (A+ on Intel) and his skill is Boaster but I can't fire him because under his name there's a padlock. Not the Person+padlock that appears when you Direct Contract someone. Just a plain padlock that I can't remove. First I thought he was an interpreter (he speaks English, Chinese and Japanese) but then I remembered his skill would be Interpreter, not Boaster.

What's his story and why can't I fire him?

I
They do show their proper stats in Motherbase. The best thing to do is put 'em on Security so when people invade your FOB and fulton them, they'll feel the pain you felt while fultoning those Boasters.
Man, that's a genius idea. Brilliant!

Thanks.

Golnei

What's up with this guy Ziang Tan? I have him in my waiting room with his shit stats (A+ on Intel) and his skill is Boaster but I can't fire him because under his name there's a padlock. Not the Person+padlock that appears when you Direct Contract someone. Just a plain padlock that I can't remove. First I thought he was an interpreter (he speaks English, Chinese and Japanese) but then I remembered his skill would be Interpreter, not Boaster.

What's his story and why can't I fire him?

He's apparently a level designer, you can see him listed in the credits. I guess it really was pointless to run them so many times...

I think the restrictions he's subjected to are the same as Kojima's.

He's apparently a level designer, you can see him listed in the credits. I guess it really was pointless to run them so many times...

I think the restrictions he's subjected to are the same as Kojima's.
What do you mean by that?

Thanks for the info. I would've never guessed. At least Kojima has an S stat. This other developer and his A+ sucks.

I also like how Kojina is a Diplomat of all things. Is his way of saying something about the whole Konami debacle?

Wasn't Saladin a historic Kurd warrior who liberated regions near to where sniper wolf was found. Thought it was a basic comparison from sniper wolfs viewpoint of big boss.

MGSV taught me that if a woman kills your doctor and nurse and tries to stab you, shoot you and strangle you, only to be set on fire and come back three weeks later to shoot you again, she's probably your soulmate and you should totally go for her.

The best love advice

Acorn

Mgs4 taught us to shit our pants in front of whoever you're attracted to.

Kojima must have an eclectic porn collection.

Quiet is some teen romance twilight shit for guys. Reverse the genders of Quiet and Venom and I bet people who say she's a well written character would change their tune drastically. Quiet is Edward with tits.

She is the ideal girlfriend for lonely military otaku nerds. Give her a punk dyed hairstyle and she's the western zombie apocalypse craving nerd's ideal girlfriend.

Two questions.

- The only key item I need is Grand Master (Fulton) - however, my "Recruits Added" is 2273 (former staff 886). I find this very odd, because the key item unlocks at 1,000. I used the wormhole A LOT once I unlocked it, though, do those not count towards this?

I realize some of those are also recruits, but that seems like a huge number to be from getting recruits and random mercs for hire.

- Also, I still need 300 development items trophy (Locked and Loaded), what's the best way to see my current development count? Or, how many unlockables are there total in the game - is that the other way to find out, by deduction of that?

Golnei

What do you mean by that?

It's not a specific attack on you, just a situation I find kind of funny - the game tries inhumanly hard to run its credits wherever possible - at the beginning and end of missions, with three separate full staff credits - and yet absolutely everyone ignores and/or skips them. That's the reason I had no idea who Ziang Tian was either, until I accidentally watched the end-of-mission credits against my will.

Give her a punk dyed hairstyle and she's the western zombie apocalypse craving nerd's ideal girlfriend.

Don't get too over-the-top, it's a known fact that too much hair dye can rot the female brain. Maybe something more sensible, like a conventionally attractive East Asian model with a single dyed streak in her hair; I'm sure that's never been done before.

SomTervo

The more I think about it, the more I like Ground Zeroes.

Camp Omega has a more elaborate, thoughtful and interesting base design than pretty much anything in Phantom Pain. Only the Russian base camp in Afghanistan kinda comes close... but not really.

Generally agreed, but personally I think the Oil Field in Africa matches Camp Omega. That is a fucking great base and I always love infiltrating it.

i'm thinking about restarting a new file and setting some new artificial challenges or parameters... still trying to think up what all to do though.

No Markers for sure, I did that the first time. I think I want to remove Crosshairs this time, too, to make laser sight more important for over the shoulder firing and also making ADS more important.

On PC you can just download a mod to make all missions Subsistence-able :(

The PC version is so great.

Also I wouldn't recommend No Crosshairs. It's brilliant for the most part, when you're using guns/ironsights, but the second you have to use throwable items (eg magazines or grenades) it becomes a complete crapshoot.

I now really love venom Snake as a character and it just makes me mad that he was with the boss til the fucking end and big boss essentially fucks him over in metal gear

I love him, too. Really unique. For a character who never speaks and has had his personality all but erased, he's incredibly fleshed out.

I think it's great that he gets fucked over in MG1. Really shows Big Boss's fall from grace. However, it's still up in the air whether he really does get fucked over or not. The mirror punch could just be him angry with Solid Snake and turning to kill him, or it could just be symbolic.

I think one should be careful of taking the discussion in this thread as too representative of feelings about the game as a whole.

Personally, I think MGSV's story fails at just about everything it attempts. I think the characters are flat, and feel very disconnected from the movement of the plot. I think most of what they introduce doesn't feel fitting for the game's universe, crazy as it is, and I feel like all the events in the game that tie into future titles do so in ways that don't feel meaningful to me at all.

Oh, definitely. I agree with you on almost all counts. Only difference is I really liked the story on the whole – it almost defined itself as being flat, directly to contradict MGS1-4, and I thought that was fine. The gameplay, of course, is god-tier. I am still finding endless fun booting the game up and doing side ops, and I'm just passing the 100 hour mark (Mission 46 done at 80 hours). If I were to make a further assumption, it would be that broad swathes of people who bought the game are wrapped up only on the gameplay. Which is obviously the game's strength.

I totally get your opinion re the story, though. Artistically I would certainly never call it a great achievement. It has little/no impact as an overall experience. However I think it does has a couple of great highlights and an ending I personally loved. Imo it felt more like a love/gratitude letter to the players for making the games possible, rather than an attempt at tying up the series' story - which was done in MGS4, and arguably MGS2.

Deep down Big Boss would never say "Kaz, I'm already a demon."

Fuck you Big Boss.

... That's the point? Can't get a grip on what you're saying here.

Quiet is some teen romance twilight shit for guys. Reverse the genders of Quiet and Venom and I bet people who say she's a well written character would change their tune drastically. Quiet is Edward with tits.

She is the ideal girlfriend for lonely military otaku nerds. Give her a punk dyed hairstyle and she's the western zombie apocalypse craving nerd's ideal girlfriend.

I argue she's well written just because of her motives and actions in the first half of the game. Unlike Edward, she's got an actual motive and a reason to do what she does. And when she does speak it's good. And her send off is good - even if it's framed in a stereotypical 'woman sacrifices herself for man' scene.

It's the camera direction and character design which really turns her presence into a shitshow throughout the entire fucking thing...

Wasn't Saladin a historic Kurd warrior who liberated regions near to where sniper wolf was found. Thought it was a basic comparison from sniper wolfs viewpoint of big boss.

Awesome. (If true.)

Top Bottom