• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V SPOILER THREAD| [EXTR3ME] Such a lust for conclusion, T-WHHOOOO

PensOwl

Banned
See, I think if they gave you more deployment options, there would be far less of an issue. Eg not just helicopter. Underwater deployment, BASE drop deployment, etc. Like MGS1-3.

The way I see it, in MGS1-3:

> you watched a cutscene setting the backstory
> you watched a cutscene of Snake deploying in a cool way
> you watched a cutscene of him arriving
> you watched a CODEC call of him briefing more
> watch a cutscene of him scanning the area
> you played the infiltration itself until a new area/mechanic/character/story beat (one every 20-30 minutes usually)
> then cutscene
> you played a bit of the exfiltration
> watch cutscene of climax
> watch cutscene of actual exfiltration

In MGSV:

> you watched (and played bits of) a cutscene setting the backstory
> you watched a cutscene of Snake deploying in a cool way
> you played him arriving
> you played him getting briefing (tapes)
> you played him scanning the area
> you played the infiltration from deployment all the way into the target without any cutscenes
> perhaps watched a cutscene in a story mission here, but probably not
> you played the exfiltration all the way out of the target
> you played the climax
> you played the actual exfiltration

The above x1000 instead of just x2 (MGS1-3), x5 (MGS4) or xN (Peace Walker). When you quantify the game this way, it sort of is the ultimate MGS game. Within MGSV is multiple MGS1-4 adventures, contained in its huge structure.

I suppose the argument is that by making so much of the MGS traditional pacing, the impact was lost overall. I still love it, MGSV is basically a "make your own MGS game" generator for me. Land somewhere, pretend I'm Solid Snake, infiltrate like shit and have a great adventure.

Huge amount of hyperbole in this post. There are probably around 7 missions in MGSV that meet that description, and that's a huge generalization for MGS 1-3 as well.

Haha! Ultimate stealth action game? Maybe. Ultimate MGS game? Nononono.

The problem with your scenario is that although all of the components are more or less there for every mission, they're essentially bite-sized. Infiltrating the Mfinda Oilfield is no Operation Snake Eater.

That's not to say that I didn't enjoy infiltrating places in these missions, but to compare each location in MGSV to the entirety of Shadow Moses or the Big Shell is madness.

Honey Bee mission was pretty much a full chapter on other MGS game.

This is how you're meant to play the game. Just go deep and have fun.

It's not traditional MGS style, but we haven't seen that since MGS3. The gameplay iin MGSV is unbelievably deep and rich. I think the complainers ITT are just tired of it. There is definitely arguably too much of it.

yeah man, i can't get enough of it. 130+ hours now. instant classic for me.

gON5vcp.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

Haha! Ultimate stealth action game? Maybe. Ultimate MGS game? Nononono.

The problem with your scenario is that although all of the components are more or less there for every mission, they're essentially bite-sized. Infiltrating the Mfinda Oilfield is no Operation Snake Eater.

That's not to say that I didn't enjoy infiltrating places in these missions, but to compare each location in MGSV to the entirety of Shadow Moses or the Big Shell is madness.

bruh. the big shell is small as shit. it's like 10 small rooms total.

bruh. the big shell is small as shit. it's like 10 small rooms total.

Not really just talking about physical size :p

All of those "small rooms" and encounters in the Big Shell were expertly designed, leading to a whole that felt far larger than the sum of its parts.

The locations in MGSV are not nearly as "crafted" as the settings of the older games. They can't be. They have to allow for multiple points of ingress, multiple objective areas, multiple guard patrols. And since the areas themselves aren't directly tied to the story, they can't be very detailed or dynamic.

Again, these are all just things open world games have to deal with. By its nature it can't be as tightly controlled as the other games.

Markoman

It is strange how people blow up the proportions of the older games in retrospective.
Shadow Moses in their memory is like this huuuge place, but in fact either big shell and shadow moses were only tiny little sandboxes compared to games like Deus Ex, or newer games like Dishonored. Please replay the games or watch a let's play: you can run from the starting point to the end in a few minutes - the rest is padding (codecs, cutscenes) with the last part of each game (MGS 1-3) being a straight action-corridor.
I remember how dissapointed I was when I realized that the guards on the tanker-level are respawning. I can't go back to this sort of gameplay design after playing MGSV.
Sure, I wish there were some huge bases to infiltrate (with interiors). I hope someone picks up the ball and is able to surpass MGSV gameplay-wise soon.

What this game needed (instead of MB) is a Metal Gear Maker Mode - just like the mission editor in Operation Flashpoint (edit little cutscenes, objectives, AI-routes,...)

BTW why didn't they use the MP Maps for side-ops?

Lettuce

OMG, so just completed it and my head is spinning.....in a way i feel cheated that i was never the real Big Boss......but surely the Phantom Big Boss is a better solider than the real Big Boss ever was, i mean some of the shit his pulled off in this game is greater than anything in MGS3?

So from what i recall in the ending credit is says that Solid Snake actually killed Phantom Boss in the first MG, but they said the real big boss was going to form Outer Heaven and thats where solid snake went and took out BB in the first MG game ,so how took out the real big boss and what game was that in?...and was real big boss face changed or does he still look the same.

I just dont get the whole point of this, why did Kojima even bother with this plot we dont gain anything from there being a Phantom big boss do we?, it looks like is just been added so Kojima can once again fuck with us......there no plot device to it at all. I mean how would the whole story differ if we HAD been playing the real Big Boss throughout the game, the answer is it wouldnt, it was just added to make an impact

Roni

Gold Member
I dunno about the bolded. In what way do you mean that? In terms of stealth Splinter Cell was so far ahead of MGS3 (especially after Chaos Theory) it's not even funny. In terms of gameplay, MGS only surpassed Splinter Cell with MGS4. I think the bolded makes much more sense for MGSV than 3.

Before MGS3 we had static vision cones. In MGS3 vision cones were variable depending on camo index, movement speed was given greater importance when inside the enemy FOV. MGS3 changed the formula and they've been expanding on that new formula every some since. MGSV does it again with open world, marking, time of day and etc.

Lettuce

So here's something, Ocelot knew that Man on Fire was Volgin during the hospital sequence. Ocelot says 'Wait a minute.. Back from the dead huh?' while Man on Fire chases us on his Unicorn on Fire.

And then fails to mention this to Venom until Chapter 2 lol.

To be fair it doesn't really matter that its Volgin.

Wouldn't have Volgin and Psycho Mantas have know that it was the real Big Boss, sure something wouldnt have seen quiet 'right' about him, defo Psycho Mantas should have sussed it???

And what was the whole point of bring Paz back from the dead, shes not important to the story at all

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Nailed it.

It depresses me that the series is over just as they finally get the gameplay right and make the exposition less intrusive.

I feel the total opposite. I feel like MGSV fundamentally misses the mark and ends up being a hollow experience compared to previous games.

Tapes gave info, but pretty much exist outside of the game and are a poor replacement for codecs. Cutacenes are few and far between, and not every mission ends with one (the most maddening part of all). The story is totally absent for the first 15 hours of the game, and most missions don't feel like they hold any significance to the plot. So many significant moments happen over recorded radio plays.

Traditionally in Metal Gear, every objective you undertake is hurtling you towards the next significant plot point. You can't wait to get to the next section to unveil more of the plot. In MGSV, you start a mission to extract/kill/capture some faceless nobody the game tells you is important, only to find at the end that, nope, they're not. They're so unimportant that the resulting debriefing amounts to "Good job, Boss. You did a thing."

It's exacerbated by Chapter 2's structure, where the majority of what you do has literally no significance 90% of the time, and you're quite literally clearing out objectives in your list of faceless missions so that the plot can arbitrarily roll forward, and people other than you in places other than where you are can do something of significance.

It felt like a Metal Gear for people who don't like Metal Gear.

IMO, if this is the direction MGS was going going forward, I'm glad the series is over. I never knew why people complained about the formula before, and if this is the type of experience they wanted, they didn't really want Metal Gear. They wanted another game with Metal Year's core gameplay.

Roni

Gold Member
It felt like a Metal Gear for people who don't like Metal Gear.

You're almost right. It's an MGS for people who complained about the low production values of Peace Walker, who complained about the amount and length of cutscenes in 4, who complained about the absurdity of menus in 3 and the Raiden twist in 2.

You're almost right. It's an MGS for people who complained about the low production values of Peace Walker, who complained about the amount and length of cutscene in 4, who complained about the absurdity of menus in 3 and the Raiden twist in 2.
I don't know about that last part.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
You're almost right. It's an MGS for people who complained about the low production values of Peace Walker, who complained about the amount and length of cutscene in 4, who complained about the absurdity of menus in 3 and the Raiden twist in 2.

Outside of Peace Walker (which I also dislike), those were all what made Metal Gear as a series special to me.

Raiden's twist in 2 is one of the ballsiest moves in gaming, and the one time when a creator roped their marketing campaign into the themes of the game (information control, creating reality through manicured lies). Absolute genius.

heringer

Before MGS3 we had static vision cones. In MGS3 vision cones were variable depending on camo index, movement speed was given greater importance when inside the enemy FOV. MGS3 changed the formula and they've been expanding on that new formula every some since. MGSV does it again with open world, marking, time of day and etc.

Splinter Cell has both a lightining and sound systems that work like that except better. Not to mention movement speed was incredibly important in SC because of sound and you had full analog movement while in MGS3 you have to, gasp, use the dpad to sneak on people. In MGS3 you have to enter a menu to change camo, in Splinter Cell it's all seamless because it's all about exploring the dark. The level of sound you can make until you alert enemies also depends on the environmental noise. So, if you are in a room playing music, for instance, you will be able to walk faster because the music is supressing your sound. You also have much more interaction with the environment. It's a much, much deeper stealth game.

SC was incredibly ahead of its time. It holds up remarkably well in the gameplay department. Actually, to this day there isn't a single game that offers the depth of in door stealth of Chaos Theory. Can't say the same about MGS3. Don't get me wrong, I think MGS as a whole are better games, but the stealth in SC was quite something.

thetrin

People complained they couldn't play as Snake. Had to play as some dude. So Kojima "listened": you get to play as Snake for the entire game... Until you find out you're just a dude.

After some time, I realized that part was kind of fantastic. You get to play as yourself, and as Snake at the same time. The weirdest compromise.

Xiraiya

Splinter Cell has both a lightining and sound systems that work like that except better. Not to mention movement speed was incredibly important in SC because of sound and you had full analog movement while in MGS3 you have to, gasp, use the dpad to sneak on people. In MGS3 you have to enter a menu to change camo, in Splinter Cell it's all seamless because it's all about exploring the dark.

SC was incredibly ahead of its time. It holds up remarkably well in the gameplay department. Can't say the same about MGS3. Don't get me wrong, I think MGS as a whole are better games, but the stealth in SC was quite something.
I don't know, I never enjoyed the stealth in Splinter Cell, it was definitely ahead of it's time but I feel like the logic and context in which MGS Utilizes stealth is more enjoyable even if it was less indepth.

Roni

Gold Member
Splinter Cell has both a lightining and sound systems that work like that except better. Not to mention movement speed was incredibly important in SC because of sound and you had full analog movement while in MGS3 you have to, gasp, use the dpad to sneak on people. In MGS3 you have to enter a menu to change camo, in Splinter Cell it's all seamless because it's all about exploring the dark. The level of sound you can make until you alert enemies also depends on the environment noise. So, if you are in a room playing music, for instance, you will be able to walk faster because the music is supressing your sound. It's a much, much deeper stealth game.

SC was incredibly ahead of its time. It holds up remarkably well in the gameplay department. Can't say the same about MGS3. Don't get me wrong, I think MGS as a whole are better games, but the stealth in SC was quite something.

I'm not arguing which is better, I'm saying MGS3 changed the formula established in the original games. The one we use to this day...

Even SC abandoned all of its features for something more similar to MGS because they proved too difficult for the mainstream audience.

heringer

I'm arguing which is better, I'm saying MGS3 changed the formula established in the original games. The one we use to this day...

Even SC abandoned all of its features for something more similar to MGS because they proved too difficult for the mainstream audience.

Well, yeah, SC abandoned all of its features and the games got worse because of it. MGS3 did change the formula of the series, but I don't think it revamped the basics of the stealth genre when Splinter Cell was doing everything MGS3 was (in terms of stealth systems) but better.

I don't know, I never enjoyed the stealth in Splinter Cell, it was definitely ahead of it's time but I feel like the logic and context in which MGS Utilizes stealth is more enjoyable even if it was less indepth.

I can see that. It's not for everyone and MGS does have it's own flavor. But in terms of gameplay systems, SC has MGS handily beat. At least until MGS4 and MGSV, but those games went into very different directions.

Just remembered Volgin was the Man On Fire.

The thing about this game is all of it just falls flat, but there's so much of it you forget so many bits that didn't do anything, so you think there's nothing there, but there is, and then you remember, and you go 'oh.'.

KTallguy

Banned
After some time, I realized that part was kind of fantastic. You get to play as yourself, and as Snake at the same time. The weirdest compromise.

Yes, it's actually even more ballsy than the Raiden thing in a way, especially the other twist: irreversibly taking a major option away from the player.

I love codec and cutscenes, but they are not proper gameplay storytelling. The cassette tapes are a compromise for people who want to dig deeper. Not everyone wants that stuff shoveled down their throat, and when you introduce a lot of codec conversations, people skip them. This means they end up skipping important content which is buried beneath so much of the fluff content (which I love, but not everyone does).

MGSV is smart game design. They have many different levels of story, and for people who want to dig, they can. For people who want to just play, they can. Players have the freedom to engage in the story at their leisure without interrupting gameplay. Sometimes I want to listen to story. Sometimes I want to just play. I can also do both! It's a way better compromise than stopping gameplay and putting voice and text on screen for 2...3...10 minutes sometimes.

Loakum

Banned
Just completed Mission 45...... damn Quiet...I had such an bond to her. I cried like an beeatch on her final cut scene. Now the helicopter rides feels so empty without her entertaining sluttiness. She was my idea of the perfect woman. I cried again, when I notice all her pictures were gone. :'(

KTallguy

Banned
She's an extremely pandering character, and actually I was kind of bothered by how much they milked that. But the fact that she's completely removed was pretty gutting. And I think that's part of the reason they made her that way. Make her memorable (for better or worse) and then she leaves.

You don't find games that take options away from players often...

yeah i just kept that butterfly emblem on cos i couldn't be bothered with her leaving. she's the only buddy i use

'quiet go do this mission for me then i'll pick up the reward'

'bzzssst'

PensOwl

Banned
yeah i just kept that butterfly emblem on cos i couldn't be bothered with her leaving. she's the only buddy i use

'quiet go do this mission for me then i'll pick up the reward'

'bzzssst'

Same with Fulton ddog and the wormhole.
On the outside of the supply fort- "ddog get em"

"Mission Complete"

Loakum

Banned
She's an extremely pandering character, and actually I was kind of bothered by how much they milked that. But the fact that she's completely removed was pretty gutting. And I think that's part of the reason they made her that way. Make her memorable (for better or worse) and then she leaves.

You don't find games that take options away from players often...

I don't think it was pandering. I feel it was just an confident woman, who wasn't ashamed of her sexuality. In other words...the perfect woman....which makes her absence...I-I c-can't talk anymore about it. *sobs* :'(

Gastone

Just finished the game. About 90 hours. GOTY, without a doubt.
I actually really liked the story too, and i can't honestly say i feel that there's something missing.

Hypron

Ōkami;181208026 said:
Just noticed that Quiet doesn't even appear on the Fomer/KIA part of the staff anymore.

Huey is still there.

It's like when your ex leaves you and you erase all traces of her/him from everything you own :p

The Adder

Banned
I mean, you just outwrote this entire game. But it all presupposed that you are actually playing as Big Boss and not the ineffectual cipher Venom Snake.

I don't get people either not getting or not appreciating that the fact we're playing VenomIS Naked Snake's moral event horizon.

We're playing a decent guy who had a life and had that stripped away from him without his consent, who is then made responsible for taking the fall for someone else.

Meanwhile, Big Boss has become exactly like the people he rebelled against, using his men like tools.

I personally think that this subtle fall was better than having Big Boss run around kicking puppies and murdering children to show just how DARK AND EVIL he's become.

Basically this and Huey being a complete shit I think, are really good, well told story elements in a game that was weak in that area otherwise.

The concepts in Quiet's story are also excellent, the execution not so much.

Neiteio

I just rewatched the nuclear disarmament scene. Some notes:

- A child soldier places the White Star of Bethlehem at the foot of the monument while Kaz is giving his speech. This makes this cutscene difficult to place. Is it before Eli escapes? I thought the child soldiers escaped with Eli? Or maybe this one did not? Or maybe some were fit to come back after the Kingdom of the Flies?

- It's neat seeing Ocelot head out to battle, sitting in the helicopter with the sniper rifle. Guess it was all hands on deck for disarming the nukes of the world.

- At the end, Venom is talking to The Boss. About driving out the demon, achieving true peace. So even though Venom isn't BB, it seems he idolizes The Boss all the same.

- It's neat seeing President Barack Obama quoted in an MGS game. That would've been amazing if he appeared as a character, lol.

saher

Banned
Im still sad that gray fox isnt in the game,it wouldnt hurt to have him join mother base at some point in the game.

malfcn

Backup your save. Play "A Quiet End" to get the full experience. Then replace your save with the original save so that you have Quiet back. That's what I did.

Well that sounds like a spoiler.
I guess that's what I get for thinking I was spoiler free..

-Deimos

Uhhh so Huey randomly reappeared in my staff list with the "new" icon beside his name. I didn't trigger any cutscenes when returning to base so I'm assuming it's a bug. Has this happened to anyone else?

Top Bottom