• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V SPOILER THREAD| [EXTR3ME] Such a lust for conclusion, T-WHHOOOO

Uhhh so Huey randomly reappeared in my staff list with the "new" icon beside his name. I didn't trigger any cutscenes when returning to base so I'm assuming it's a bug. Has this happened to anyone else?
Super awkward if his boat just casually drifts back to motherbase and a random recently extracted soldier who doesn't know any better lets him back in.

Maybe he can redesign his precious Battle Gear to actually do something.

malfcn

And I can never read the time line fast enough in every MGS ending. Ugh.

And, Chapter 1 ending shows Paz, but I never saw her again unless you count her medical room scene.

And I can never read the time line fast enough in every MGS ending. Ugh.

And, Chapter 1 ending shows Paz, but I never saw her again unless you count her medical room scene.
You had to get nine photos (plus one in her hallway) from the wandering motherbase soldier side-ops.

If you fuggit and just look up the final cutscene on youtube, don't forget to look up the tapes she leaves you.

Golnei

a scarf should've come standard on every outfit, it makes Venom look dapper.

So much wasted potential with not including a silk or knitted woolen scarf on the tuxedo.

As much as Konami has burned all the bridges, I really want them to do a remake of MG1 and MG2, with an eventual remaster of MGS1.

Fix all the retcons, make it work. The story is already there. The gameplay is already there. The characters are already there. The fans are already there.

I can only hope it's of the same quality as their SH2 remake.

Ōkami;181208026 said:
Just noticed that Quiet doesn't even appear on the Fomer/KIA part of the staff anymore.

Huey is still there.

She's just MIA. It would have been a great touch for her to appear infrequently in the distance after her exit, sniping the occasional enemy during side-ops...

I don't know about that last part.

Actually, it could be said to be a response to the Raiden twist - the central complaint back in 2001 wasn't that you weren't playing as Snake, it was that you were given control of a whiny effeminate faggot - addressed with extreme tact by Raikov in 3. A silent Snake doppelganger addresses those concerns.

It's obviously nuts, but just how cool would that be to get a classic MGS 5 that follows the story of the real Boss.

COMING 1994

tumblr_nu0pnknWCO1r0xqnho1_1280.png

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
You know, it must be said:

I thought stepping in here was going to be a bloody nightmare, but the discussions are all really civil and a genuine delight to take part in.

I'm uh not dying, btw. Just sayin'.

Hope that didn't come across as patronising. Not the intention!

You're not kidding, I thought I was going to have to ignore this thread, but it has proved quite civil, I'm glad I took my time with the game to avoid the first two OT's.

See, I think if they gave you more deployment options, there would be far less of an issue. Eg not just helicopter. Underwater deployment, BASE drop deployment, etc. Like MGS1-3.

The way I see it, in MGS1-3:

> you watched a cutscene setting the backstory
> you watched a cutscene of Snake deploying in a cool way
> you watched a cutscene of him arriving
> you watched a CODEC call of him briefing more
> watch a cutscene of him scanning the area
> you played the infiltration itself until a new area/mechanic/character/story beat (one every 20-30 minutes usually)
> then cutscene
> you played a bit of the exfiltration
> watch cutscene of climax
> watch cutscene of actual exfiltration

In MGSV:

> you watched (and played bits of) a cutscene setting the backstory
> you watched a cutscene of Snake deploying in a cool way
> you played him arriving
> you played him getting briefing (tapes)
> you played him scanning the area
> you played the infiltration from deployment all the way into the target without any cutscenes
> perhaps watched a cutscene in a story mission here, but probably not
> you played the exfiltration all the way out of the target
> you played the climax
> you played the actual exfiltration

The above x1000 instead of just x2 (MGS1-3), x5 (MGS4) or xN (Peace Walker). When you quantify the game this way, it sort of is the ultimate MGS game. Within MGSV is multiple MGS1-4 adventures, contained in its huge structure.

I suppose the argument is that by making so much of the MGS traditional pacing, the impact was lost overall. I still love it, MGSV is basically a "make your own MGS game" generator for me. Land somewhere, pretend I'm Solid Snake, infiltrate like shit and have a great adventure.

I wish they had used the whaling ship a lot more. But it was just there as way to tell you "hey, bet you were having doubts about the Moby Dick references, right?!". Would've been very cool to see Venom use that, which would have made the developers make some variation in the maps, including more water environments and swimming mechanics, spicying up the gameplay. Using parachutes would've been awesome as well, with a HALO jump and all, would allow for a stealthier and closer approach. And having multiple factions fight between them would have allowed for a MGS4-like infiltration, making infiltrations more interesting as well and finally fulfilling Kojima's wishes of Guns of the Patriots, and also spicying up gameplay.

It sounds simple on paper, but I can imagine this being incredibly taxing on time.

I wish they had used the whaling ship a lot more. But it was just there as way to tell you "hey, bet you were having doubts about the Moby Dick references, right?!". Would've been very cool to see Venom use that, which would have made the developers make some variation in the maps, including more water environments and swimming mechanics, spicying up the gameplay. Using parachutes would've been awesome as well, with a HALO jump and all, would allow for a stealthier and closer approach. And having multiple factions fight between them would have allowed for a MGS4-like infiltration, making infiltrations more interesting as well and finally fulfilling Kojima's wishes of Guns of the Patriots, and also spicying up gameplay.

It sounds simple on paper, but I can imagine this being incredibly taxing on time.
Ocelot goes DEEP into detail in that boat in one of the tapes. It's hard to tell if that's just Kojima's love of mechanical spy equipment, or if there's a line on an early design doc to have it integrate into the game in one way or another.

malfcn

The game has the most and worst replay potential.

Most:
Keep grinding and play different ways.

Worst:
Having to grind through it all over again.

Haunted

It's kind of hilarious how many people with dozens of hours in the game don't seem to grasp the boasting mechanic. :lol

If there's ever an update to the OP, I want 2 PSAs in there.

IF YOU'RE RUNNING OUT OF MISSIONS KEEP COMPLETING SIDEOPS

SOLDIERS WITH THE BOASTER SKILL APPEAR STRONGER THAN THEY ARE IN THE ANALYSER

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
The way they handled the reveal of the body double is so terrible. It's like if they replaced the AI glitching out in MGS2 with a flashback of you replaying a very long tutorial, but this time with an extra cutscene at the beginning and end where you're flatly told everyone's an AI. It was a well done opening, but going through it a second time is excruciating.

On the other hand, I really do like that it completely changes the way you look at MG1 and MG2, now knowing that the Big Boss you kill in MG1 is Venom.

The stated motivation of Big Boss in MG1 was to make Solid Snake return with false information, and that mission was accomplished by making everyone think Big Boss and Outer Heaven was finished, even though there is a bigger Outer Heaven being built in Zanzibar Land by the real Big Boss. It also explains why Big Boss was pretty helpful in codec conversations, if Big Boss wanted Snake to succeed in his mission. All that on top of it explaining the unexplained revival of Big Boss between MG1 and MG2

SJRB

Gold Member
Even her photographs on the wall in the chopper disappeared. Venom is heart broken.

She saved his fucking life by sacrificing her own and what does he do? He removes all evidence she even existed.

Why the fuck would you remove the poster from the AAC? In fact, he should've raised a statue in her honor on Mother Base.

The real answer is of course because the interior of the ACC and the Medical Platform revert back to the pre-Quiet world state. After mission 45 it basically overwrites to an older version. Another weird immersion-breaking oversight. It's quite interesting to see so many weird quirks form a team that is normally beyond adament on little details.

Ok guys hiw do i advance the story all missions i get now are either total stealth or extreme and non of them are yellow.

The only yellow thing i have id a combat deployment with fighting ability 6700 so fuck that.

Did i miss somthing? Should i go talk to someone? Please help.

Neiteio

Ok guys hiw do i advance the story all missions i get now are either total stealth or extreme and non of them are yellow.

The only yellow thing i have id a combat deployment with fighting ability 6700 so fuck that.

Do some side ops. The ones that don't have their boxes checked off. The yellow side ops are important ones.

Do either 1 of those repeat missions or 3 side-ops and the next mission should pop.

Neiteio

Eh, she didn't really sacrifice her life for him. More of a self-imposed exile.
She exiled herself to a desert where she'll either never see civilization again, or where she'll die of dehydration. She did it to save Venom, so yeah, it's a sacrifice.

At the same time... She tried to kill him twice, so she's still -1

She exiled herself to a desert where she'll either never see civilization again, or where she'll die of dehydration. She did it to save Venom, so yeah, it's a sacrifice.

At the same time... She tried to kill him twice, so she's still -1

She seemed to be doing pretty ok in Afghanistan before she found Venom. Plus, even when she was on base she was isolated in a cell listening to music most of the time. I actually think she'll be fine on her own.

Neiteio

She seemed to be doing pretty ok in Afghanistan before she found Venom. Plus, even when she was on base she was isolated in a cell listening to music most of the time. I actually think she'll be fine on her own.
Hopefully. I want her to find a cure and reform her ways and settle down with Venom, at which point they'll open a nonprofit for the rescue and rehabilitation of sheep.

Golnei

She was surviving before she met Venom, but that was just surviving. Meeting him gave her hope, a purpose, the promise of love - just going back to the life she led before, without even the tenuous tie to XOF, would have been a tangible loss, despite being almost as disconnected from society beforehand. It's significantly more tragic that she was forced to exile herself after only just beginning to open up to the one person who treated her as a human.

Neiteio

She was surviving before she met Venom, but that was just surviving. Meeting him gave her hope, a purpose, the promise of love - just going back to the life she led before, without even the tenuous tie to XOF, would have been a massive loss. It's almost more tragic that she was forced to exile herself after only just beginning to open up to the one person who treated her as a human.
Yeah, it's kind of a bummer. :-\

She was surviving before she met Venom, but that was just surviving. Meeting him gave her hope, a purpose, the promise of love - just going back to the life she led before, without even the tenuous tie to XOF, would have been a tangible loss, despite being almost as disconnected from society beforehand. It's significantly more tragic that she was forced to exile herself after only just beginning to open up to the one person who treated her as a human.

To quote a certain former Marine Commandant: "Is there a point to this sad story?"

How exactly does Venom treat her like a human? You use her as a tool to make infiltrating easier, during gameplay she's a glorified mechanic. In the ACC Venom just stares blankly as she does sexy poses for him, and at the base he just silently stares at her while she sunbathes.

And if you mention the rain scene I will cut you.

Golnei

And if you mention the rain scene I will cut you.

Why? It's the culmination of all the little acknowledgments of their deepening relationship - the softer, more friendly tone he says her name with, the shift between her looking away from him and instead giving a thumbs-up; the descriptions for all her later costumes explicitly stating she'll only wear them for those she trusts deeply. Allowing her to work with Venom at all given their history is a sign of their respect and mutual admiration, but the rain scene is one of the strongest indicators of their relationship moving beyond something platonic and strictly professional. That affection is then reciprocated in the shower scene, as she shows her gratitude by saving him from Ocelot and welcoming him into her most private space.

If Venom only considered her a tool, he'd not participate in any of it - and if he just considered her nothing more than another soldier or work associate, like the DD staff, Ocelot or Miller; he'd also never be anywhere as intimate as he is in the shower or rain scenes. It's a very subtle shift, but Venom is an understated character.

Kinyou

She saved his fucking life by sacrificing her own and what does he do? He removes all evidence she even existed.

Why the fuck would you remove the poster from the AAC? In fact, he should've raised a statue in her honor on Mother Base.

The real answer is of course because the interior of the ACC and the Medical Platform revert back to the pre-Quiet world state. After mission 45 it basically overwrites to an older version. Another weird immersion-breaking oversight. It's quite interesting to see so many weird quirks form a team that is normally beyond adament on little details.

Some kind of shrine would really have been a nice touch. Especially since the staff always mistrusted her

Golnei

Some kind of shrine would really have been a nice touch. Especially since the staff always mistrusted her

It'd have been really touching if she left Venom something as a memento - an article of clothing would work best - which would be placed in the ACC for you to look at between missions, a constant reminder of her loss.

heringer

It'd have been really touching if she left Venom something as a memento - an article of clothing would work best - which would be placed in the ACC for you to look at between missions, a constant reminder of her loss.

You mean a... Phantom... Pain?

Why? It's the culmination of all the little acknowledgments of their deepening relationship - the softer, more friendly tone he says her name with, the shift between her looking away from him and instead giving a thumbs-up; the descriptions for all her later costumes explicitly stating she'll only wear them for those she trusts deeply. Allowing her to work with Venom at all given their history is a sign of their respect and mutual admiration, but the rain scene is one of the strongest indicators of their relationship moving beyond something platonic and strictly professional. That affection is then reciprocated in the shower scene, as she shows her gratitude by saving him from Ocelot and welcoming him into her most private space.

If Venom only considered her a tool, he'd not participate in any of it - and if he just considered her nothing more than another soldier or work associate, like the DD staff, Ocelot or Miller; he'd also never be anywhere as intimate as he is in the shower or rain scenes. It's a very subtle shift, but Venom is an understated character.

Because the rain scene is one of, if not the most botched scenes in Metal Gear history. I might even put it below Otacon's awful breakdown(s) in MGS4. The rain scene isn't the culmination of anything. There's no communication between these two characters besides Venom giving her orders to kill. Her actions in the ACC are hilariously one-sided, Venom doesn't even acknowledge her existence.

Going from being a gameplay tool to a love interest in one scene is absurd, and that's to say nothing of how the actual scene plays out, which is terrible and infantile in its depiction of affection.

vpance

I think Venom and Quiet fucked and were quite close near the end, going by her tape, and her song. Just have to read between the lines you know?

ElFly

I actually still have Quiet in the staff list, listed as vanguard sniper or whatever.

Fucking Miller has her there still listed just to fuck with me.

Markoman

It's kind of hilarious how many people with dozens of hours in the game don't seem to grasp the boasting mechanic. :lol

If there's ever an update to the OP, I want 2 PSAs in there.

IF YOU'RE RUNNING OUT OF MISSIONS KEEP COMPLETING SIDEOPS

SOLDIERS WITH THE BOASTER SKILL APPEAR STRONGER THAN THEY ARE IN THE ANALYSER

Well, I thought they would work differently - simply hiding their stats when an intruder tries to analyse them.

Golnei

There's no communication between these two characters besides Venom giving her orders to kill. Her actions in the ACC are hilariously one-sided, Venom doesn't even acknowledge her existence.

Going from being a gameplay tool to a love interest in one scene is absurd, and that's to say nothing of how the actual scene plays out, which is terrible and infantile in its depiction of affection.

Communication can be more than something verbal - from the beginning, Venom shows solidarity through actions like supportively grasping her shoulder; which Quiet notices and respond to by beginning to change how she acts around him. It can appear as if her posing in the ACC and in her cell on Mother Base are one-sided interactions, but that's because you're ignoring their larger context, as a reaction to Venom's display of mercy and kindness. She's trying to gain his attention and approval, and while Venom's responses to that are limited by player interaction in some cases; by the end his active participation in the rain and shower scenes undeniably demonstrate that he acknowledges and encourages her obviously-romantic intent; solidifying a bond that began in gameplay into an actual relationship between two characters.

Also...it's infantile because they're giggling and having fun? Venom and Quiet are two people who've gone through horribly traumatic experiences, and suffer from incredible amounts of emotional repression as a result - their expression of affection being so awkward isn't a failure to depict a mature relationship, it's intended to show just how unused each of them are to dropping their guard; which in turn highlights how much they mean to each other - they can't act like that around anyone else because displays of affection don't come naturally to them at all.

First panel is making me question my sexuality,he is so fabulous.

tumblr_nvxlph77aG1qctrupo2_500.gif

Xiraiya

I had a weird situation when messing around with some stuff in MGSV, I accidentally ended up watching the Paz GZ cutscene play out in broad daylight, and some things immediately struck me.
No one is in that chopper/scene initially except for Big Boss, Paz and also the mystery soldier at the very back who would normally be in the dark.

On top of this, suddenly Chico and the Medic appear in the scene, and then at the very end of the cutscene for like an instant, Miller is sitting next to Big Boss. I hadn't even noticed he was basically absent from the whole scene until I caught him at the end and was like "Wait who is that with hair" at first, so I looked it up on YT to doublecheck and was like "Oh right, Miller... wait where is he for the first part of all this"

It was cool watching it like this, but also very interesting.

Communication can be more than something verbal - from the beginning, Venom shows solidarity through actions like supportively grasping her shoulder; which Quiet notices and respond to by beginning to change how she acts around him. It can appear as if her posing in the ACC and in her cell on Mother Base are one-sided interactions, but that's because you're ignoring their larger context, as a reaction to Venom's display of mercy and kindness. She's trying to gain his attention and approval, and while Venom's responses to that are limited by player interaction in some cases; by the end his active participation in the rain and shower scenes undeniably demonstrate that he acknowledges and encourages her obviously-romantic intent; solidifying a bond that began in gameplay into an actual relationship between two characters.

Also...it's infantile because they're giggling and having fun? Venom and Quiet are two people who've gone through horribly traumatic experiences, and suffer from incredible amounts of emotional repression as a result - their expression of affection being so awkward isn't a failure to depict a mature relationship, it's intended to show just how unused each of them are to dropping their guard; which in turn highlights how much they mean to each other - they can't act like that around anyone else because displays of affection don't come naturally to them at all.]

This is all great well and good, but it's simply not shown in the game. Non-verbal communication is absolutely a thing, but it's not a significant part of Quiet and Venom's relationship, except for him putting his hand on her shoulder, and the rain scene. In every other circumstance you're describing there's just no communication. You can dance your way around it all you like with suppositions and interpretations, but those don't change the actual content of the game.

And the scene itself is infantile because of the abrupt nature of the change, and the direction. Half of the scene is just the camera zooming in on Quiet stripping and being sexy in the rain. It's like for that scene they just flipped a switch, Quiet goes from mysterious and deadly sniping creature that likes to put her butt in your face to earnest love interest. It's terrible.

DevilFox

This is all great well and good, but it's simply not shown in the game. Non-verbal communication is absolutely a thing, but it's not a significant part of Quiet and Venom's relationship, except for him putting his hand on her shoulder, and the rain scene. In every other circumstance you're describing there's just no communication. You can dance your way around it all you like with suppositions and interpretations, but those don't change the actual content of the game.

And the scene itself is infantile because of the abrupt nature of the change, and the direction. Half of the scene is just the camera zooming in on Quiet stripping and being sexy in the rain. It's like for that scene they just flipped a switch, Quiet goes from mysterious and deadly sniping creature that likes to put her butt in your face to earnest love interest. It's terrible.

I was writing exactly the same, lol.
I would've loved to see more non-verbal communication, like Venom touching her shoulder, but even some good facial expressions that with today's technology can say a lot without the need of a single word. I'm sorry but no, the intent was clear but they failed on delivering even this. I liked Quiet's last words, about their relationship and everything, I just couldn't share them because I got nothing but shots of her body, her "mmm mm mh mmmm" and very very few good moments.

holygeesus

Banned
OK, so I've completed the game with the butterfly emblem enabled, and so still have Quiet on board, to mop up the side missions, so without going back through all the pages here, is there one story mission, that reappears, if you remove said butterfly from your emblem, or is there more than one?

Cheers.

Top Bottom