• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V SPOILER THREAD| [EXTR3ME] Such a lust for conclusion, T-WHHOOOO

So what is the song everyone has listened to the most in the game?

I've actually had a hell of a time playing it with my MGSV playlist. It's pretty exhilarating countering all of the shit the skulls throw at you during extreme mode to Mr. Roboto. This track's got you covered for the Afghanistan portion of the game. In-game? i'll agree about the Phantom Pain, but it's really great playing Sins of the Father while riding across the desert. That should have been it's proper use. Not the bizarro confrontation with Skull Face.

sik0j.jpg

Posting this because someone else dropped this in the OT and it still gets a chuckle out of me.

Xiraiya

It has been bloody frustrating to deal with avatar customization because of that notable reduction in quality. I've probably invested well over a hour in an effort to make a decent creation, but returning to the in-game model renders it hardly distinguishable from a preset. The lack of shrapnel partly throws off the visual appeal, too. Has there been any interesting tutorials out there for making noteworthy faces? I wouldn't mind trying to recreate something close to a younger Snake and/or Medic although my best work probably was my initial effort at Decoy Octopus upon launch.

When people get bored of replacing everyone with Quiet and Ocelot maybe people will swap models for all their Cutscene counterparts including the Avatar.

My one tip when making a face is to go through and set everything to 0 and start from there.

Cyborg

So Eli had the English parasite but it was removed by his friend Psyco? I didnt realize they were so close in MGS1? Hmm

Golnei

This is sort of cute, but I'm not sure whether the subtext is better or worse with the later retcons that established Miller was twice Snake's age and desperately in love with Big Boss. The whole idea of him choosing Solid Snake as 'his' son that the post-credits introduced for some reason gives it some vaguely creepy overtones as well...

What changed? :)

If Ocelot could hypnotise Liquid to forget him; he could hypnotise him to forget Mantis.

Hypron

When people get bored of replacing everyone with Quiet and Ocelot maybe people will swap models for all their Cutscene counterparts including the Avatar.

My one tip when making a face is to go through and set everything to 0 and start from there.

They should replace everyone in the game with Kojima.

Golnei

They should replace everyone in the game with Kojima.

Everything. Animals, mechs, weapons - the potential is endless.

...though I actually would like an option to just give D-Dog Kojima's glasses from GZ. He needs them more than Huey. Why aren't modders working on the important things, instead of increasing the prominence of Quiet's pubic hair?

Xiraiya

...though I actually would like an option to just give D-Dog Kojima's glasses from GZ. He needs them more than Huey. Why aren't modders working on the important things, instead of increasing the prominence of Quiet's pubic hair?
I saw that, it looked more like a diaper exploded on her crotch than it did any sort of hair.

Truly disturbing.

Houndi101

Worst thing about this phantom pain is that I've been returning to d o few sideops every night,.
I tried continuing Dark Souls 2 but it felt so weird after TPP, I might have to restart it to catch up to the difficulty

Xiraiya

Worst thing about this phantom pain is that I've been returning to d o few sideops every night,.
I tried continuing Dark Souls 2 but it felt so weird after TPP, I might have to restart it to catch up to the difficulty

Before MGSV, I thought the Dark Souls games were kind of the peak of good feeling gameplay.

Dark Souls II after hundreds of hours in MGSV feels like ABSOLUTE garbage. Interestingly, Dark Souls 1 still felt fairly okay.

SJRB

Gold Member

..wh-

What?

kotodama

Before MGSV, I thought the Dark Souls games were kind of the peak of good feeling gameplay.

Dark Souls II after hundreds of hours in MGSV feels like ABSOLUTE garbage. Interestingly, Dark Souls 1 still felt fairly okay.

Didn't DS2 introduce a weird square deadzone to movement and janky hit boxes? Hopefully DS3 is a return to Demon, DS1, Bloodborne style controls. Apparently for the PC version there was a control mod to fix the deadzone issue at least.

MGSV does have some satisfying movements and controls for the most part, but I hate how many times my Fulton extraction is registered as a climb action or a body pickup is registered as a weapon swap. Also Diamond Dogs in general need grippier boots for some of those gentle hills and slopes where your character backslides for no reason.

Didn't DS2 introduce a weird square deadzone to movement and janky hit boxes? Hopefully DS3 is a return to Demon, DS1, Bloodborne style controls. Apparently for the PC version there was a control mod to fix the deadzone issue at least.

MGSV does have some satisfying movements and controls for the most part, but I hate how many times my Fulton extraction is registered as a climb action or a body pickup is registered as a weapon swap. Also Diamond Dogs in general need grippier boots for some of those gentle hills and slopes where your character backslides for no reason.

Yeah, I'd say in general terrain/environment navigation is perhaps the worst in MGSV out of all the other MGS games.

It works well enough when you're navigating very open areas, but as soon as you get to more complex or claustrophobic areas things start to break down. The camera obviously wasn't designed for enclosed spaces, and the terrain navigation doesn't make proper allowances for grade. Couple this with being inexplicably unable to press yourself against many flat surfaces, and geometrically crowded areas are harder to play around in than in any other game in the series.

Xiraiya

I'm so curious about the Portopia tapes, the one in GZ, the other one in TPP and now it seems like you can hear a possible 3rd at the very last moment of the game as Venom walks off into darkness.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Is it normal to be listening to "The Man Who Sold The World" every possible opportunity after beating the game?

Sorry if this has been discussed, but was it ever explained what was wrong with Miller's eyes? During one of the cut scenes towards the end he removes his glasses and they are cloudy/gray like Code Talkers. Did they ever explain why?

Replayed the Killer Bee mission and was surprised to see there's a whole cutscene if you retrieve the prisoner at the first outpost instead of at the big complex in the Killer Bee mission. The prisoner is mute too, so I wonder if he's supposed to have some strain of the parasite in him.

(I posted this in the OT when I meant to post it here.)

Is it normal to be listening to "The Man Who Sold The World" every possible opportunity after beating the game?

Yep. I've been listening to all the different versions regularly, haha.

Ashura_MX

Replayed the Killer Bee mission and was surprised to see there's a whole cutscene if you retrieve the prisoner at the first outpost instead of at the big complex in the Killer Bee mission. The prisoner is mute too, so I wonder if he's supposed to have some strain of the parasite in him.

(I posted this in the OT when I meant to post it here.)

Yep. I've been listening to all the different versions regularly, haha.

Pretty sure he has the parasite.

Xiraiya

Sorry if this has been discussed, but was it ever explained what was wrong with Miller's eyes? During one of the cut scenes towards the end he removes his glasses and they are cloudy/gray like Code Talkers. Did they ever explain why?

People seem to assume his eyes were damaged but there is actually shit going on with Miller that not enough people are paying enough attention to.
When you rescue him his eyes are yellow but still fairly normal, I've been trying to figure out when the change occurs, I'm pretty confident it's right after he gets back to Motherbase, maybe it's when you get Quiet, for some reason he can detect Quiet's presence and seems to see her as a threat despite everyone telling him to relax, I'm pretty sure his eyes are always changed once he has the coat/beret regardless of whether it's a Quiet cutscene or Huey's torture.

When you compare his eyes to Code Talker and The Skulls, they are exactly the same, if you combine that with Code Talker's warning he received from the parasites, it seems pretty clear Miller is up to something or that he is hiding something from you, I'm pretty sure he has some sort of Parasite power, but I have no idea what, his blindness is inconsistent so I think he can sense living bodies around him and stuff like that, probably much like Quiet.

If you kill Quiet and play without her, Skullface still tells you that the English strain is close to you, but Quiet was told by Skullface that she has the strain, so that's why she never tries to talk.
Miller was ambushed by the Skulls and miraculously left alive for a reason...

That moment I wonder if he made a secret deal with Skullface, hence DD containers at OKBZero.

Neiteio

People seem to assume his eyes were damaged but there is actually shit going on with Miller that not enough people are paying enough attention to.

When you rescue him his eyes are yellow but still fairly normal, I've been trying to figure out when the change occurs, I'm pretty confident it's right after he gets back to Motherbase, maybe it's when you get Quiet, for some reason he can detect Quiet's presence and seems to see her as a threat despite everyone telling him to relax, I'm pretty sure his eyes are always changed once he has the coat/beret regardless of whether it's a Quiet cutscene or Huey's torture.

When you compare his eyes to Code Talker and The Skulls, they are exactly the same, if you combine that with Code Talker's warning he received from the parasites, it seems pretty clear Miller is up to something or that he is hiding something from you, I'm pretty sure he has some sort of Parasite power, but I have no idea what, his blindness is inconsistent so I think he can sense living bodies around him and stuff like that, probably much like Quiet.

If you kill Quiet and play without her, Skullface still tells you that the English strain is close to you, but Quiet was told by Skullface that she has the strain, so that's why she never tries to talk.

That moment I wonder if he made a secret deal with Skullface, hence DD containers at OKBZero.
That's an incredibly interesting theory. Hmm...

Xiraiya

I'm a bit iffy on the English strain thing, because I don't know why Miller would say nothing if he was infected, maybe he doesn't know, but I still don't know why or what would cause him to work with Skullface.
All I know is, there is no way the Skulls would just leave him alive unless they were forced to, and that he has parasites, but how they work is a mystery.

Damn thanks for the theory. I was kind of upset when Codetalker mentioned that stuff that implied Miller or somebody else close, and I always assumed it was Miller, but there wasn't much explanation after that as far as I remember. Perhaps something mentioned in the tapes, but I cant remember. Interesting.

I'm a bit iffy on the English strain thing, because I don't know why Miller would say nothing if he was infected, maybe he doesn't know, but I still don't know why or what would cause him to work with Skullface.
All I know is, there is no way the Skulls would just leave him alive unless they were forced to, and that he has parasites, but how they work is a mystery.

Unfortunately, you never get a chance to use those special goggles during the quarantine mission to check Miller for the parasite either. Its not possible to do this during the first main mission to save miller, is it?(longshot)

Neiteio

Regarding Mantis' mask, either the guide or a tape in the game said the gas mask is help block out the overwhelming number of thoughts Mantis would otherwise be reading. It allows him to focus on the thoughts of a few rather than be inundated by many.

Kindekuma

Banned
Is there an explicit reason why Skullface wears the Domino mask in TPP? I heard theories that it was to hide the parasites on his face or something, did I miss a tape?

Golnei

Is there an explicit reason why Skullface wears the Domino mask in TPP? I heard theories that it was to hide the parasites on his face or something, did I miss a tape?

It was probably just so they could have an easier visual indicator to give to Mantis while he channels his lust. Otherwise they'd have to give him the hat...

Regarding Mantis' mask, either the guide or a tape in the game said the gas mask is help block out the overwhelming number of thoughts Mantis would otherwise be reading. It allows him to focus on the thoughts of a few rather than be inundated by many.

That's also the reasoning given in the first game as well - though at this point, it's probably less of a placebo and has something to do with microwave radiation.

JackelZXA

http://www.destructoid.com/metal-ge...jurassic-world-avengers-combined-315459.phtml

Haven't seen this posted anywhere yet, and I'm too timid to make a thread, but wow day one sales at $179 million? And they want to get rid of Kojima WHY?! That's more than double the cost to make the game on day one of all things. They'd be making a fat profit even without all their MB Coin schemes dirtying up this game. :(

(And that doesn't even factor in anything else like total sales up to this point, ground zeroes, or microtransactions)

Gosh if these sales projections existed previously, can you imagine what could have happened with this game? (Maybe they wouldn't have sold ground zeroes, the best area in the game, early as it's own thing?)

JackelZXA

Damn thanks for the theory. I was kind of upset when Codetalker mentioned that stuff that implied Miller or somebody else close, and I always assumed it was Miller, but there wasn't much explanation after that as far as I remember. Perhaps something mentioned in the tapes, but I cant remember. Interesting.

Unfortunately, you never get a chance to use those special goggles during the quarantine mission to check Miller for the parasite either. Its not possible to do this during the first main mission to save miller, is it?(longshot)

Miller can't have the english strain parasite because he speaks english throughout the entire game.

They weren't

In the interrogation scene with the Darpa Chief is the only time you see Mantis, Liquid, and Ocelot together. In MGS4, Mantis is helping Liquid Ocelot with controlling the B&B corps. (You can see him in act 1 as an easter egg) These might be where kojima got the idea to retcon it in, much like with the venom snake into mg1 retcon. It's something that wasn't hinted at before but fits in nicely anyways.

JackelZXA

I had to do like 10 side ops or some large amount to unlock mission 43. It's one of the most asked questions on threads actually. You just have to keep doing side ops and eventually you get it.

Ashura_MX

http://www.destructoid.com/metal-ge...jurassic-world-avengers-combined-315459.phtml

Haven't seen this posted anywhere yet, and I'm too timid to make a thread, but wow day one sales at $179 million? And they want to get rid of Kojima WHY?! That's more than double the cost to make the game on day one of all things. They'd be making a fat profit even without all their MB Coin schemes dirtying up this game. :(

(And that doesn't even factor in anything else like total sales up to this point, ground zeroes, or microtransactions)

Gosh if these sales projections existed previously, can you imagine what could have happened with this game? (Maybe they wouldn't have sold ground zeroes, the best area in the game, early as it's own thing?)

Marketing campaign is probably not factored in the $80mil, I want to think they still are profiting from the game, but even so I wouldn't let Kojima run wild with the budget and time. He is tired of making metal gears anyway.

Top Bottom