• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain |OT2| A Franchise Robbed Of Its Future

Only thing I'm forced to destroy is helicopters and skulls.

The latter I'm okay with. The former... well, I guess it's hard to fulton a helicopter.

There is a very
late mission
... if you can beat it without killing anyone, then I tip my hat to you, good sir/madam.

TheTurboFD

Can anyone tell me how to get quiets side missions? I'm on mission 40 and haven't seen anything yet. I also have her at full bond level.

I still only use the tranquilliser gun as my main weapon. I always try to go in stealthy so no loud guns.

Same. I don't even carry any lethal weapons other than C4 and Grenades just to blow up stuff like comms and what not.

I've always played the same with pretty much all metal gears, so much funner in my opinion. So many games let you shoot and kill and get noticed, playing it low key is so refreshing.

Finished
mission 31 and assuming the game is over since the credits were rolling.
This game was fucking awesome and everything I wanted it to be after I played GZ. SO GOOD.

game will beat this out of you. i don't know how it is possible to play pacifist like other games. it basically forces you at times to be action hero. I hate it.

Not at all. Only needed regular weapons for boss fights, and you can still tranq the skulls if you want. Played every mission super stealthy and the tranq pistol/sniper were my two best weapons.

Not at all. Only needed regular weapons for boss fights, and you can still tranq the skulls if you want.

Mission
seems impossible without killing anyone because of collateral damage. Lots missions post
are really difficult to do without killing. I include the
skulls
in this as well.

Is it true you can play through the entire game as one of your soldiers and they even have their own voice recordings for the dialogue in the cutscenes?

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I think mission 30/31 has drilled into me that the story is really pretty damn underwhelming.

Without spoiling anything, I'm actually not that fussed with the overall tonal shift (it's a lot more serious as a whole) and most of the ideas they play around with (even the stupider stuff). It's all just kinda pulpy military scifi set in the 80s, and I personally think it works conceptually for most part. I quite like most of the performances, and I think the cinematography in the long shots is great. It's not MGS1/2/3/4, but I'm happy with something a bit different too.

That being said:
- Silent Venom is so, so fucking weird. He doesn't need to be rattling off like the past games. When he does have the odd line or two it's fine. But so often he's just unreasonably silent. Contextually it's just odd.
- Massive gaps of undercooked, undeveloped narrative.
- Skullface is a surprisingly dull villain for the series, also underdeveloped and just not believable or interesting.
- "Revenge" as a core theme is barely explored.
- I feel there's some fun stuff interconnected in the mission objectives that just isn't presented well enough to have impact.

It's an odd position to be in. MGS4 and PW I disliked narratively not for their production (which was otherwise fine), but for the actual content, writing, and performances. For all the complaints I can throw at MGS4, the narrative being "finished" is not one. PW is similar; stupid ass story and dumb ideas, but full and conclusive.

I know I'm not finished MGSV, but this is obviously a point of climax in the story and it's been so under developed so far that it loses a lot of weight in emotional or thematic impact. I just don't care, to be honest, despite enjoying watching the cutscenes enough. Like I'm watching stuff unfold and it looks cool, but I'm not emotionally invested and no character so far has a developed journey.

It's actually probably the first Metal Gear Solid game to be like this.

Is it also a franchise robbed of its convoluted/wacky/lengthy cutscenes in PP?

As someone who just finished mission 31-

MGS1-4 were ~10 hours of cutscenes and ~5 hours of gameplay (or at least they felt like they were,) MGS5 is shaping up to be more like ~10 hours of cutscenes and ~50 hours of gameplay. The cutscenes are still there and as Metal Gear-ey as always (for better or for worse,) there's just a shitload more gameplay in between them.

TheStruggler

Report me for trolling ND/TLoU2 threads
two questions here if someone doesnt mind answering them

I know there are other cutscenes with quite and heard she even has a side story, how do you unlock this?

Also this one is slighty story related and has to do with people getting ill

So far i have to put soldiers in quarantine however most I wont know and I have to find a pattern, the answer to thi one can be a Yes or a No to my thought process. I noticed all solders sick in the med bay infected all spoke Kikongo, thus I put mt recruits who spoke Kikongo in the med bay as well. Am I on the right track?

Mission
seems impossible without killing anyone because of collateral damage. Lots missions post
are really difficult to do without killing. I include the
skulls
in this as well.

Oh. Well didn't make it that far yet, so I can't comment.

two questions here if someone doesnt mind answering them

I know there are other cutscenes with quite and heard she even has a side story, how do you unlock this?

Also this one is slighty story related and has to do with people getting ill

So far i have to put soldiers in quarantine however most I wont know and I have to find a pattern, the answer to thi one can be a Yes or a No to my thought process. I noticed all solders sick in the med bay infected all spoke Kikongo, thus I put mt recruits who spoke Kikongo in the med bay as well. Am I on the right track?

Yes.

Soulflarz

Banned
You're all crazy about mission 40. That was absurdly easy, I didn't even cheese it? Just take the tranq sniper and outshoot her like anyone should be able to. She only killed me once when I idiotically popped up for a second >_> sub 3m fight.

so when you recruit a story (mission or side-ops) character (mainly 'targets'), is their code name, face, etc random?

or is there something unique that makes them recognizable in every playthrough?

Salsa

aaaaand im at that point after 35 where new missions dont show up. peace walkinnn on suunnshiiiiine woooo

what's my fastest bet? do the added-challenge repeats or just do some side ops?

Soulflarz

Banned
so when you recruit a story (mission or side-ops) character (mainly 'targets'), is their code name, face, etc random?

or is there something unique that makes them recognizable in every playthrough?

Same look for some, diff name. Like the bionic arm guy? His name will change, he'll always look the same. This is because their profile is shown in a short post mission cutscene. However, targets with specific names that you have to kill (thinking mission...16? guy) have one name, especially if it's said in game.

Kid Ska

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Okay. First major gripe.

You're having some down time going through Side-Ops. You're going through the world passing camps. You've just completed a Side-Op and need to get to a delivery point to move to the next S-O which is miles and miles away. You accidentally get the attention of some troops as you pass by. No problem, right? You'll just keep going, the delivery you're heading to is still a little distance yet. You arrive at the delivery point and get in your box. You can't be delivered because if any camp is even on fucking alert, not combat alert, you're fucked. You'll have to take out the entire camp before you can be delivered. That or head back to your chopper and redeploy and waste GMP.
YES. So god damn annoying.

cj_iwakura

Wow, game just jumped me straight to Chapter 11 during a side-op. Oh well. Hope I can backtrack.

Really digging Kiefer as the game goes on. His words carry weight whenever he speaks, and they listen.

Is Quiet bugged? Is DD bugged as well?

DD doesn't stay when you tell him to and will follow you the moment you start walking.

Quiet leaves and stays at whatever point she feels like, and calling her gazillion times never makes her move. Once you're not in her sight, you can't call her at all?

What am I doing wrong?

Soulflarz

Banned
Oh my god can someone please help me with this
quaratine
shit... Levels our just depleting from this.

Fine. Heads up, alternative method is blitz story missions, it'll fix in a few.

Hint
Listen to the tapes carefully and think about peoples actions.

bigger hint
why would quiet attack their MOUTHS? What do we do with our mouths?

giveaway
look at the languages :3

answer if you somehow don't get it
kikongo

Pick your poison :3

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Is Quiet bugged? Is DD bugged as well?

DD doesn't stay when you tell him to and will follow you the moment you start walking.

Quiet leaves and stays at whatever point she feels like, and calling her gazillion times never makes her move. Once you're not in her sight, you can't call her at all?

What am I doing wrong?

You have to direct Quiet via the map. Select Quiet (Scout) and send her to a location.

soultron

Banned
I'm on mission 13 now and I still don't have Quiet as a buddy. What gives? Spoilers relating to Quiet follow:
I have her on MB already and all she does is sit in her cage. I've had the cinematic where she shoots through the helicopter blades and Ocelot said on a tape to visit her cell but still nothing.

Mooreberg

is sharpening a shovel and digging a ditch
How long do you need to
quarantine the kikingo (sp?) speakers before the situation resolves?

I'm glad this game is good with check points. Last night I got a text while driving a jeep with two extracted targets in it, and managed to drive off a cliff when looking at the notification. I thought when I started playing tonight I was going to have to do a lot of the mission over (this happened to me with the Huey mission after being interrupted) but was glad to see I just had to finish driving out of the hot zone again. I'm also glad that Google Now is the most useful thing on earth, because with the way this game has trouble connecting, I never would have known about the Mission 29 and Mission 42 corrupted save file issues otherwise. That is one hell of a QA bungle on an otherwise well polished game.

Kid Ska

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
If your chopper isn't painted solid gold you're literally playing the game wrong. Just wish I could use that color on my guns.

I'm on mission 13 now and I still don't have Quiet as a buddy. What gives? Spoilers relating to Quiet follow:
I have her on MB already and all she does is sit in her cage. I've had the cinematic where she shoots through the helicopter blades and Ocelot said on a tape to visit her cell but still nothing.

She'll be your buddy soon. Just do more story missions

Well I just beat the game. Hm. I'm listening to the tapes
talking about BB, The Patriots, Zero, etc
and I just don't really know what to think about all this.

The gameplay is easily the best in the series, and some of the most fun I've had with a game in a long time, but the story is extremely underwhelming.
The twist is.... I just keep thinking about it but the question that keeps popping up is Why? What does it ad to the series? Why try to explain and link things in such a ludicrous way? Just....why?
And I found out Eli's story isn't even resolved and an entire episode was cut from the game. Just wow.

For being heralded as "THE MISSING LINK THAT COMPLETES THE SAGA" it really....doesn't do that. Throughout the game I kept waiting for the point where the story would pick up, but it only kept on letting me down. Especially
in Chapter 2. Like the theme RACE. What? I understand Chapter 1's theme and it did do it well I guess, but they dropped the ball in Chapter 2.

Kojima went out with a bang in everything but the story department. And since MGS' story is one of the biggest draws to the series, that's very disappointing.

Damnit. I was doing to good on Mission 28 against the
Skull Snipers, but DD got in my way when one came up to me to attack me. I accidently hit him and I panicked and ended up getting shot by one of the others.

Same look for some, diff name. Like the bionic arm guy? His name will change, he'll always look the same. This is because their profile is shown in a short post mission cutscene. However, targets with specific names that you have to kill (thinking mission...16? guy) have one name, especially if it's said in game.
thanks. i was thinking about the more generic ones... for example, (mission 5-10 or so descriptions)
that sharpshooter pair you have to kill around mission 5-6 i guess? or, that one russian officer around mission or side-op 8? the names and faces seem rather generic but being new to the game i suppose they could be unique. was also wondering about those 3 officers you are supposed to "kill at the meeting", their faces are in the mission description so i guessed those are unique or at least a constant for them, but maybe their code names are randomly generated.

not a big deal... i was just going through my units and I kinda wish I remembered which units were mission or side-op targets lol

sonto340

That
Metal Gear boss fight in mission 30-ish
is fucking rough if you've never invested in any heavy weapons or explosives.
I did it with An Assault Rifle, an LMG, an SMG, and the prosthetic arm equipped.
Felt like a bad ass when I finally finished the mission.

It's only my first mission with DD, and I'm already tired of his bullshit.

Ho3aWsZ.jpg

Top Bottom