• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain |OT2| A Franchise Robbed Of Its Future

Vaga

So I was in the middle of an FOB invasion trying to get my stolen crew back and right before reaching the command center to capture his base BAM Failed to connect to server. Mission failed.

What a piece of broken shit.

Mission 16 spoilers:
What the hell are you supposed to do against skull soldiers? They pretty much destroy me every time we fight lol. Last time I just run away, but now you have to get the truck also. Is there any good strategy against them in general?

D walker. Seriously I have no idea why nobody uses him on the skulls. He's a mini metal gear with a freaking gatling gun. All the skulls are easy when you use him.

Groof

Mission 16 spoilers:
What the hell are you supposed to do against skull soldiers? They pretty much destroy me every time we fight lol. Last time I just run away, but now you have to get the truck also. Is there any good strategy against them in general?

What I did was
to use the tanks since the soldiers inside disappear. They worked wonders. Just by driving into them and shooting at the same time you can do some serious damage.

Mission 16 spoilers:
There's a tank in the back of the convoy, if you use it to make some direct hits they go down fast.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Mission 45 is considered hard?
After hearing all the horror stories I was afraid that it's going to take me hours but I did it on my second try without much problem.

Mission 16 spoilers:

You can
use a tank to take them down "quickly" or just avoid them and fulton the truck whenever you can.

What I did was
get to the airport as soon as I could. Jumped the fence behind the truck, triggered the scene, ran towards the exit, called D-Horse, use him to run back to the area in the fence I jumped, and fultoned the truck.
After that, it was just getting away on D-Horse.

Nouzka

D walker. Seriously I have no idea why nobody uses him on the skulls. He's a mini metal gear with a freaking gatling gun. All the skulls are easy when you use him.

What I did was
to use the tanks since the soldiers inside disappear. They worked wonders. Just by driving into them and shooting at the same time you can do some serious damage.

There's a tank in the back of the convoy, if you use it to make some direct hits they go down fast.

Gonna try again soon, thanks for the tips.

RDreamer

Mission 16 spoilers:

I did this mission with full on sneaking. Didn't get discovered at all.

When the skulls popped in, I backed up and went widely around to the back of the vehicle you're supposed to Fulton. Snuck up to it, fultoned, threw a decoy and got the fuuuuuuck out. Don't know if the decoy helped at all because I didn't turn around. Frantically dropped my horse and got out.

Javier23

Banned
After hearing all the horror stories I was afraid that it's going to take me hours but I did it on my second try without much problem.
It most definitely isn't that difficult. It just seems people are a bit unaccustomed to thinking outside the box.

SomTervo

I'm pretty sure I have the optimal path, I can complete it in just about 2min. Haven't found a better way yet.

I'm new to PS4 stuff, so I'll try to figure out how to share a video of it.

Please do! I still haven't done it...

To be brutally honest, people seem to suck at this game. Or at least, they're only good at one playstyle, so when the game forces you to mix it up, they make a lot of noise.

I love that it forces me to be flexible and push out of my comfort zone.

duckroll

After failing mission 29 a few more times, it actually got pretty fun. Lol.
Once I mastered the CQC counterattack on the Skulls, I just ran around chipping away at their armor with my rifle, and countering when they tried to do the jump attack on me. Once they were all stripped of their armor, I led them out into the open, jumped onto the AA gun, and finished them all off at once. Mmmmm.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I don't know, it feels like this structure makes sense to me as 'post-game content', although it isn't really.
Storywise you no longer have that clear objective to work toward, you got your revenge and the big bad is dead. So it becomes more about the day-to-day happenings, 'putting out fires' if you will. The extreme/subsistence/total stealth missions are something you'd expect to see pop up as an additional activity after the end credits, but since the story keeps going they put people off.

I'm glad I've been listening to the tapes religiously
as the behaviour of Mantis and Skull Face in 31 is what really confused the hell out of me. But they explain it pretty well, maybe it only seems logical to me because I've got my Metal Gear Goggles on.

I'm definitely starting to get over the game as it becomes more grindy/repetitive and don't get me wrong I wish every single mission was like 30. But I'm not about to get on the shit on chapter 2 bandwagon just yet.

I like the idea I guess, but I think I feel that
chapter 1's revenge and military heavy plot is so undercooked that it is, as a whole, pretty disappointing and in turn makes chapter 2 (at least so far for me) weirdly condensed with developments that seem like they would have been better suited to the first arc.

Chapter 1 never found momentum for me until the very end, when it didn't matter because Skull Face was left to do a dumb exposition dump without him or the ideas the story was playing at developed. A lot is explored and developed after the fact, and I think it would have been more engaging if a lot of that content was paced and structured into the first chapter. A kind of combination of pursuing Skull Face and working out what his plan is, while Diamond Dogs also struggles a bit to function as a unit due to the situation they're in.

I agree that it's bizarre but I find the structure a fascinating and unique choice. They save the day and get revenge, credits roll, but it's not enough and the paranoia sets in. Even if it is partially a compromise due to not having enough time to flesh Chapter 2 out further, it works for me as meaningful post game content when I wanted to jump back into the world and mess with the gameplay more anyway. And I'm always down for Kojima finding new ways to fuck with his fanbase.

You know what (post-game)?
If you avoid all of the repeat missions the pacing in Chapter 2 is way better than Chapter 1. Things flow much, much smoother and at a steady clip.

Timeaisis

Mission 16 spoilers:

Get a good rocket launcher and shoot them with it. That's basically it.

I did this mission with full on sneaking. Didn't get discovered at all.

When the skulls popped in, I backed up and went widely around to the back of the vehicle you're supposed to Fulton. Snuck up to it, fultoned, threw a decoy and got the fuuuuuuck out. Don't know if the decoy helped at all because I didn't turn around. Frantically dropped my horse and got out.

My first try was with a heavy machine gun and the Skulls killed me before I could kill them all. My second attempt I took a rocket launcher with me, fultoned the truck and then I just destroyed the Skulls. Rocket launchers are almost game breakers since it makes these fights super easy.

Get a good rocket launcher and shoot them with it. That's basically it.

SomTervo

After failing mission 29 a few more times, it actually got pretty fun. Lol.
Once I mastered the CQC counterattack on the Skulls, I just ran around chipping away at their armor with my rifle, and countering when they tried to do the jump attack on me. Once they were all stripped of their armor, I led them out into the open, jumped onto the AA gun, and finished them all off at once. Mmmmm.

This is what happened to me. A mix of learning to counter their CQC attacks, commanding Quiet to strike, using machine gun posts and AA guns made it fun and short-lived.

The only real challenge is staying out of their line of fire when they decide to shoot at you.

malfcn

Anyway to change your avatar name? I know you can modify appearance. I don't like the name I chose at the beginning. I don't want to be spoiled, but I'm sure it means something.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Mission 45 is the stupidest thing I have ever fucking played in my entire fucking life.
Get in the destroyed building and poke out and shoot. And call airstrikes, lots of airstrikes (if you just want to clear it).

sonto340

Get in the destroyed building and poke out and shoot. And call airstrikes, lots of airstrikes (if you just want to clear it).
that would be fine if I didn't get killed in one shot by basically fucking everything the enemy throws at me.

Hystzen

People might moan over changing Big Bosses VA but got hand it to Kojima. He got a Hollywood actor to say lines about telling a horse to have a shit.

plus I actually like Keifer in role he has some menace when he says he going kill you I actually believe he will.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Mission 16 spoilers:

You can CQC them with good timing(almost a QTE with a quick prompt on screen) which stuns them for a super easy kill or I believe even tranq. Tough but very viable. Obviously helpful if you can lure them to a chokepoint of sorts to avoid surrounding fire.

Greddleok

People might moan over changing Big Bosses VA but got hand it to Kojima. He got a Hollywood actor to say lines about telling a horse to have a shit.

plus I actually like Keifer in role he has some menace when he says he going kill you I actually believe he will.

I'm replaying MGS3 at the same time as 5 and it's highlighted that Hayter is an incredibly bad voice actor.

I just started the game, I'm on Chapter 1 episode 1 and I have a question.

I'm supposed to find some intel in a nearby village... I go to the place(s) on the map where it says intel is present but I can't find anything there. How am I supposed to collect intel? At one of the locations all I see is a gun turret.

The intel is supposed to be for
finding out where the guy's boss is being kept prisoner in a nearby town.

Thanks.

213372bu

Banned
You guys had trouble with
the skulls
on mission 29 and before?

As long as you go lethal on them for their shields, you can spam STN weapons if you want the challenge, and a supply drop fest if you are playing through the mission for the first time.

Other than that, as long as you dolphin dive in and out of buildings, you will 100% of the time dodge out of the skulls attacks, in which you can still spam weapons on them after you dive out of their attacks.

Their projectile and exploding rock attacks are easily dodged as long as you dive into a building/out of a building.

As for the first time you see them, I was able to kill the skulls on my second try. Using grenades and throwing them at them while they are in their post-cqc animation/ shooting their smg is what gets them down the most. Other than that, shooting them while on D-horse and shooting while sprinting on the horse made it a cakewalk after I learned they can be instant-kills in their melee attack form.
--
I just started the game, I'm on Chapter 1 episode 1 and I have a question.

I'm supposed to find some intel in a nearby village... I go to the place(s) on the map where it says intel is present but I can't find anything there. How am I supposed to collect intel? At one of the locations all I see is a gun turret.

The intel is supposed to be for
finding out where the guy's boss is being kept prisoner in a nearby town.

Thanks.
Did you go to the yellow marker, or the marker where Ocelot told you to go to first?

Tawpgun

Disagree. It is the comfiest MGS game BECAUSE of Mother Base. Its your own Big Shell soldier group. You can practically feel the sea breeze on your face.

I don't have it in me to manage all the bullshit. Just let Miller and Ocelot run it imo. I wanna sneak.

Artex

Banned
Mission 16 spoilers:

Here is how I was successful after a few failed attempts:

Run straight for the truck before the cutscene even triggers. Fulton the truck as fast as you can, jump in the jeep that's parked there, pedal to the floor and pray.

Did you go to the yellow marker, or the marker where Ocelot told you to go to first?

I think the yellow marker is at the town with the prisoner. This other town was on the way and Ocelot mentioned some intel stuff so I stopped there on route.

I might be a little confused, I've only had one play session so far and I'm just getting used to the controls/navigation. Thanks for the help though.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
I don't have it in me to manage all the bullshit. Just let Miller and Ocelot run it imo. I wanna sneak.

Just auto sort with R3 and every few missions do a fast scroll for Troublemakers (you can scroll at max speed and your eyes will still definitely catch it) Beyond that you just check if you're able to do a base expansion. You don't even really have to do Combat Deployments if you don't want to.

213372bu

Banned
I think the yellow marker is at the town with the prisoner. This other town was on the way and Ocelot mentioned some intel stuff so I stopped there on route.

I might be a little confused, I've only had one play session so far and I'm just getting used to the controls/navigation. Thanks for the help though.

It's been a while since I played, but you should be right.

Did you try the second/first floor of the heavily guarded building in the middle of the town, where the cassette tape is?

Should stick out like a sore thumb.

Artex

Banned
This beats Bloodborne for GOTY for me. Acting out the legend that is BB and all the stuff we've heard about over the last like 30 years (Wat) of playing these games is just brilliant. Some of it seems to have gone over the heads of some people in this thread, but if you "get it" in terms of what Kojima is conveying in this game it is nothing short of brilliance.

Seriously?!

A deadly parasitic organism spread by what language you speak?!

And now I have to go through all 647 members of my staff to find people
who speak Kikongo, and throw them all into quarantine?!

And of course I have people
who speak Kikongo
in the Brig which I can't do anything with... UGH.

KOJIMAAAAAA!!

hqdefault.jpg

wrowa

So, can someone explain to me how that post-game stuff works?

I feel like I don't really know how progress in chapter 2 works. I heard you don't have to do the extreme and subsistence missions to progress the story and that doing side-ops is okay as well, but what exactly triggers new story content? How do I know when I'll unlock a new story mission / story content? Just doing stuff until it eventually unlocks? I heard it's a lot shorter than chapter 1, but what does that mean in rough playtime anyway?

It's been a while since I played, but you should be right.

Did you try the second/first floor of the heavily guarded building in the middle of the town, where the cassette tape is?

Should stick out like a sore thumb.

Ohh, I didn't find that. Thanks, I wll do that next!

Shinjica

Seriously?!

A deadly parasitic organism spread by what language you speak?!

And now I have to go through all 647 members of my staff to find people
who speak Kikongo, and throw them all into quarantine?!

And of course I have people
who speak Kikongo
in the Brig which I can't do anything with... UGH.

KOJIMAAAAAA!!

hqdefault.jpg

A good excuse to have you fulton new member and keep you playing

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
I can see why that might be appealing, I liked it when I first played it. Now it just kinda makes me cringe
and smile

I wouldn't change the old games, but come on, he's not great.

Honestly, hand on my heart, I think he is great as Snake.

I wasn't on the internet much when most of the games came out (played MGSa when I was 18/19), probably started getting into message boards post-MGS4 due to MGO, so I was genuinely shocked when I found out people didn't like him. Hell, I still am.

Evil Beaver

How come Quiet disappears on me at random times during missions and side-ops? When it does happens she isn't available to help out at all.

'cause we ain't ride or die homies yet?

SomTervo

This beats Bloodborne for GOTY for me. Acting out the legend that is BB and all the stuff we've heard about over the last like 30 years (Wat) of playing these games is just brilliant. Some of it seems to have gone over the heads of some people in this thread, but if you "get it" in terms of what Kojima is conveying in this game it is nothing short of brilliance.

Word.

Arguably The Witcher 3: The Wild Hunt did a similar thing, though.

I've no idea how I'm going to reconcile these two games for my GotY list. Dying Light is up there, too, for realising the 'zombie outbreak in a city' fantasy for me.

How come Quiet disappears on me at random times during missions and side-ops? When it does happens she isn't available to help out at all.

She stays around one place unless you order her to a new place.

To order her to a new place, go to iDroid > Missions > Buddy support > Quiet (Scout or Attack).

Or the shortcut for this is to go to iDroid > Map > Press up or down on d-pad.

sikkinixx

She is probably at another sniping point where there are no guys. Go into the iDroid, plus up/down to find the "Quiet (Attack)" command and put her closer to where you are.

edit: beaten! Also, if you set her to "Cover me", which means she shoots at everything, she will automatically move to keep protecting you.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member

I haven't finished the game - not by a long shot - but that was exactly the feeling I was getting doing the non-story essential missions. I feel like some kind of legendary mercenary.

Top Bottom