• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain |OT2| A Franchise Robbed Of Its Future

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
As much as I like MGS3, Hayter is the worst thing about it. He sounds like a cartoon character.

In a game where one character fires bees out of his mouth, that is an almost unforgivable crime.

By being a good game it's a good metal gear game. What you really mean is ' this doesn't fit the structure or design I think the series has to stick to (despite the designers feeling differently) so I'll call it a terrible metal gear game'

I think you hit the nail on the head there. Metal Gear has been positively aching to become Open World since MGS3. Christ, MGS4 pretty much laments the series formula directly as narrative conceit.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
question about quiet outfits

I heard there's an outfit which covers her up a bit more. I'm arrived at chapter 2 and still haven't got it. When will it happen? I'm not talking about the body paint or blood.

You get one for beating the extreme quiet fight and another pretty soon after normal progression IIRC.

I can agree. I love the core gameplay but there is a long list of things that I just straight-up don't like about the game, and as I play more they really wear at me. It's not a game I can do in long sittings, it's just extremely repetitive and I don't feel connected to the Mother Base stuff that much.

My biggest grievance is just how arduous it is to get around the world. Walker and Horse are both slow as hell and there are so many tiny little hills that necessitate a 5 mile detour just to get to the other side.

This stuff grates so much when I'm just burning through side ops now. The overly long unskippable heli rides, calling in buddies and waiting for them to drop in so I can actually move around then swap them back out and wait before actually moving on(dhorse should have been considered a vehicle).

Ralemont

not me
I can agree. I love the core gameplay but there is a long list of things that I just straight-up don't like about the game, and as I play more they really wear at me. It's not a game I can do in long sittings, it's just extremely repetitive and I don't feel connected to the Mother Base stuff that much.

My biggest grievance is just how arduous it is to get around the world. Walker and Horse are both slow as hell and there are so many tiny little hills that necessitate a 5 mile detour just to get to the other side.

I'm the opposite. I can't stop playing once I start. Of course I don't really travel around the world, I just Return to ACC and drop at the nearest LZ for side ops.

Also didn't know about that map shortcut for Quiet. Thanks guys!

Just started this and I'm confused as all out doors. Gotta say that intro is probably one of the best game intros I have ever played, great cinematics, heart pumping action and really awesome pace. . Now I feel like I need to go back and at least play Ground zeros to get some kind of understanding to the story. Is this a direct sequel to MGS IV? I beat that game but can't quite remember how it ended.

Starting with Ground Zeroes, I really needed to do a lot of research into backstory to get a feel for the series. But I actually liked that I had to do it. The story is all kinds of anime weird, but I liked that too.

Like I said, it feels like the product of an individual creative mind, as opposed to this generic focus-tested "standard video game" plot thing we so often get. I'd rather have unique weirdness, than the misguided generic, focus-tested nonsense of something like Watch Dogs.

aember

Saw the save bug notice after I had already taken Quiet into mission 29. Guess I dodged a bullet.

Did some more raids last night. I'm still not sure why it's letting me start AT the core platform. It kind of trivializes the whole idea. I'm not fighting my way to the core, I'm just climbing the first pipe I see to the top and collecting on people. The last one got my name though and it said they were coming to retaliate...right before the server borked again.
When invading you get to pick one of the various branches (r&d, intel, support etc), and from there you have to get to the core of that specific branch. If your invasions start on the core platform - the person hasn't built anything past the initial one. You can build upto 4 per branch.

When you've picked a person to invade check the platform you can invade.

ced

I'm sure it's been mentioned about how bad the bosses are, or lack there of. How did we go from Cobra unit and Beauty & Beast to what's in MGS5? It's really disappointing.

Can I take on tanks with the grenade launcher or should I wait until I can develop the first rocket launcher?
I've already done plenty of side ops and I'd like to do some main missions now

Don't know what mission you are on but I recall the first time I had to take tanks and I used: Grenade launcher, C4, and grenades. Didn't have a rocket launcher.

Greddleok

In a game where one character fires bees out of his mouth, that is an almost unforgivable crime.

I don't like this sort of argument. I'm not saying you're wrong for liking Hayter, that's fine, but the idea that because a crazy thing happens, it's ok to have a bad voice actor is just wrong.
If the world is set up in having a bee breath is...normal...or more like...doable...I won't question it. It's easy to suspend disbelief with stuff like that. A bad voice actor pulls me out instantly. Whenever Hayter is talking I'm thinking "I am playing a video game, and this guy can't act."

Bleh, I want to stop arguing about something as dumb as my irrelevant opinion on a voice actor.

ApprehensiveGiantAllosaurus.gif

I never used this until now and since I have wormhole extractor now I won't be using it again probably.

Mind blown.

hamchan

I'm sure it's been mentioned about how bad the bosses are, or lack there of. How did we go from Cobra unit and Beauty & Beast to what's in MGS5? It's really disappointing.

Beauty and the Beast were bad too. MGS3 was the last game with good bosses.

Didn't play Peace Walker, huh? Now, those are godawful, trash bosses. They're literally you fighting tanks as bosses.

Mellahan

Concerned about dinosaur erection.
Is it confirmed you have to have MAX bond to initiate certain scenes with Quiet on Mother Base?

I keep finding conflicting info

I think it's when she is moving location. She changes vantage points based on your movement or who you're targeting. Get that bond level up though, she gets a little hot for BB and lay's it on pretty thick.

Oh man is that why she
starts moving around a lot in the chopper and giving you those looks?

megalowho

Or even better, iDroid > press up or down on dpad on map > Quiet (Scout or Attack)
I figured this out way too late but it makes managing the iDroid under pressure situations much more fluid and enjoyable. Glad it's an option, even if it's not explicitly stated.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
I don't like this sort of argument. I'm not saying you're wrong for liking Hayter, that's fine, but the idea that because a crazy thing happens, it's ok to have a bad voice actor is just wrong.

But I don't think he's bad. I think he fits the tone perfectly. You put the VA equivalent of Daniel Day Lewis in there and it wouldn't work.

If the world is set up in having a bee breath is...normal...or more like...doable...I won't question it. It's easy to suspend disbelief with stuff like that. A bad voice actor pulls me out instantly. Whenever Hayter is talking I'm thinking "I am playing a video game, and this guy can't act."

Which is funny because the series takes every opportunity to remind you that it's a video game. It embraces its 'video gameness' like few others do. That's why I find the 'immersion' discussions so strange when it comes to this series.

Bleh, I want to stop arguing about something as dumb as my irrelevant opinion on a voice actor.

Hey, we're not arguing. Just shooting the breeze! It's all opinions. :)

I figured this out way too late but it makes managing the iDroid under pressure situations much more fluid and enjoyable. Glad it's an option, even if it's not explicitly stated.

I wish they worked with swipes, like up and down for using those things so you don't have to go into the iDroid.

SomTervo

Starting with Ground Zeroes, I really needed to do a lot of research into backstory to get a feel for the series. But I actually liked that I had to do it. The story is all kinds of anime weird, but I liked that too.

Like I said, it feels like the product of an individual creative mind, as opposed to this generic focus-tested "standard video game" plot thing we so often get. I'd rather have unique weirdness, than the misguided generic, focus-tested nonsense of something like Watch Dogs.

Well put. It's not perfect, but by god is it unique.

Ricky_R

I definitely share most of those grievances. I don't have much time to play nowadays and I can hardly get much done every time I play due to MB's management and how long it takes to traverse the map. It's specially annoying to take those damn detours because there aren't that many shortcuts through the canyons.

If the distance is 2,500 meters or more I call the heli for pickup, but as you may know, it's far from ideal.

Oni3298

Overall, this game goes down as one of my favorite games of all time. I can't explain the insane amount of fun I've had with it. I've put over 90 hours since I got it last Tuesday... That's more than I've put in any game in such a short time since getting it.

First week sales in Japan:

293,652 for PS4 (Media Create)
117,547 for PS3 (Media Create)
2,236 for Xbox One (famitsu)

Damn lol. I'm playing it on the Xbone. It runs fanatically and looks amazing. Shame that Ms struggles so much in Japan, but it's not surprising.

Overall, this game goes down as one of my favorite games of all time. I can't explain the insane amount of fun I've had with it. I've put over 90 hours since I got it last Tuesday... That's more than I've put in any game in such a short time since getting it.

It's currently my vote for GOTY.

SomTervo

Ok this
retake mother base mission can fuck off.
Restarting all the way from the beginning, urgh

Please describe what you're spoiling.

I risked it and clicked on the black bars, but you could have been spoiling the very end of the game for all I know (which I haven't seen).

wrowa

So, can someone explain to me how that post-game stuff works?

I feel like I don't really know how progress in chapter 2 works. I heard you don't have to do the extreme and subsistence missions to progress the story and that doing side-ops is okay as well, but what exactly triggers new story content? How do I know when I'll unlock a new story mission / story content? Just doing stuff until it eventually unlocks? I heard it's a lot shorter than chapter 1, but what does that mean in rough playtime anyway?

Anyone?

KarmaCow

Yea I don't quite understand the reasoning behind the giant open world, other than a way to save money by reusing areas. In missions it's basically irrelevant since they're locked down to defined mission areas. The areas aren't even that interwoven outside the occasional transport truck and combat alerts, which reset with the entire world once you go back to the ACC.

Generally, if something is marked yellow or important (including side ops), doing that will continue progression.

Blackthorn

"hello?" "this is vagina"
I definitely share most of those grievances. I don't have much time to play nowadays and I can hardly get much done every time I play due to MB's management and how long it takes to traverse the map. It's specially annoying to take those damn detours because there aren't that many shortcuts through the canyons.

If the distance is 2,500 meters or more I call the heli for pickup, but as you may know, it's far from ideal.
Time for another reminder to find the delivery points at bases so you can fast travel across the map!

Hystzen

I think most people where expecting Missions like Hellbound for main missions. That mission is pure quality and uses the open world with tight base infiltration MGS is known for.

Alienous

By being a good game it's a good metal gear game. What you really mean is ' this doesn't fit the structure or design I think the series has to stick to (despite the designers feeling differently) so I'll call it a terrible metal gear game'

So what are Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance, or Metal Gear Acid? Good Metal Gear games?

I mean, you could say that, but I understand personal distinctions. I think Peace Walker is a good game, but not a good Metal Gear game, for instance.

The Phantom Pain is a good game in a very different way to what I think defines a Metal Gear Solid game.

SomTervo

I think most people where expecting Missions like Hellbound for main missions. That mission is pure quality and uses the open world with tight base infiltration MGS is known for.

On the one hand, I definitely feel all the filler-ey Main Ops should have been relegated to Side Ops. So that we had fewer, better Main Ops. That would have been perfect.

On the other hand, KojiPro dug their own grave by making Main Ops tied to small locked areas, with Side Ops set in the open world.

The wording 'Main Ops' and 'Side Ops' don't refer to story content or importance, they literally just refer to how the mission ties to the open world structure.

Time for another reminder to find the delivery points at bases so you can fast travel across the map!

Have to say I have still yet to find this, I should probably look them on a guide or something

Considering you would have to sneak to the fast travel point wouldn't it just be faster to return to acc?

Top Bottom