• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain |OT2| A Franchise Robbed Of Its Future

Wow, I wasn't notified that I was infiltrated until it was already over. When I was loading in I got kicked and it showed the losses screen :(

Glass

Every time a level features a nice big building or complex to infiltrate, like
Code Talkers mansion or the base in mission 30
, it's a painful reminder how 90% of the game is infiltrating tiny huts. Game play is so satisfying but the locations need some serious mixing up with way more interiors.

Alienous

Every time a level features a nice big building or complex to infiltrate, like
Code Talkers mansion or the base in mission 30
, it's a painful reminder how 90% of the game is infiltrating tiny huts. Game play is so satisfying but the locations need some serious mixing up with way more interiors.

I could have almost cried seeing the
keycard doors
in Mission 12.

Never to be seen again.

SomTervo

Eh, too many op things. It's definitely the best open world game ever though

How so? Every way I'd consider it easy to break, it breaks you back.

Except maybe distraction items. They are pretty OP. Although often the level design fucks you up to compensate.

edit: aha, you changed your wording the instant I quoted you

Unless a base is on alert. It's generally faster to just go back to the ACC via the menu after hitting a checkpoint save and redeploying.

Forget alert, you literally can't use the Cardboard Box fast-travel if a single enemy even suspects he's seen anything. If that white marker that signifies that a dude sees something pops up at any point, the delivery system shuts down immediately. I find it pretty much useless because of that. In the time it'd take me to ghost through the base to get to the delivery platform I could have just returned to the ACC and redeployed.

wilsonda

I think most people where expecting Missions like Hellbound for main missions. That mission is pure quality and uses the open world with tight base infiltration MGS is known for.

Yea hell bound was an awesome mission....

Does anyone know I'd there is a movie viewer mode at all.. I'd love to just be able to view cutscenes without having to replay missions

Roni

Quiet is kind of OP. I just deploy her on the opposite side of an outpost, set her to cover fire at will and the whole guard force goes in her direction leaving the camp empty. Maybe that tactic will stop working in later missions, I'm not very far yet.

I'd make the argument every buddy is OP.

Xanathus

Mission 29 ulti-strategy

fight starts, bail on code talker, run straight left. theres a gap in the airport fence. you can go past it. the skulls wont. youll never be surrounded, you wont have any zombie bros on you, and code talker will be fine. call in supply drops on your side of the fence, dive when you see black smoke under you, and youll be fine.

miller will keep yelling to go back and save code talker, like youre leaving the mission area, but you arent. youre fine. that area is a little safe haven.

s rank

Another strategy which works in the Extreme version of it
Take Quiet with you with her highest damage sniper rifle, run to one of those 2 storey buildings with no windows and 2 blue doors and let Quiet take them out. You will only have to run out of the room when they do that move which summons a black rock that explodes onto you. They never enter the building and none of their other moves can hurt you, easy S-rank and all objectives complete.

Timeaisis

ApprehensiveGiantAllosaurus.gif

I never used this until now and since I have
wormhole extractor
now I won't be using it again probably.

Aw, you can't do this with the
wormhole extractor
?

I agree with the guy ages back who said that when you get spotted don't restart. It's fun.

I was doing lowly mission 5 last night and I did basically all the hard work getting into the base and ended up missing an obvious entrance to where the exfiltration guy was hanging out. So I was just tooling around a bunch. Anyway, I got spotted doing something dumb like jumping when I meant to crawl and just ran away. I planted some C4 on a jeep and ran over to the other side of the (crawling-with-guards) base. I then blew the C4 and they all went looking in that direction, allowing me to sneak up behind them all and stab them in the throat. HERO.

Sifl

Question about Dispatch Missions in Chapter 2:
I lost my
Battle Gear
so now I can't complete 1 of the main dispatch missions. Am I fucked lol?

Ricky_R

This is the best stealth game ever.

I agree in terms of the freedom we have to tackle each area and how well animated BB is. It feels very satisfying. However, I feel like a merge between this and Splinter Cell (Chaos Theory in mind) would be orgasmic.

Imagine MGSV with a couple more gadgets and moves that reinforce the great core of stealth that it already has. The level design, while open and great, could be better designed to take more advantage of the stealth aspect of the game. Like other ways to take down enemies from above or below, better or more varied ways to infiltrate each area. The infiltration design in Chaos Theory was great. In CT we also had some cool gadgets that helped elevate that stealth sense and atmosphere, some of which MGSV could've had.

Granted, these are two different games in terms of scope so it might not be as easy or as effective to implement that design to MGSV, they also take place in different timelines, but still...

I believe, that at the time, I was more satisfied with Chaos Theory's stealth gameplay, although I'm having a shit load of fun with MGSV.

This is not a shot I'm taking at MGV btw... I'm enjoying the gameplay a LOT, but sometimes I feel like it could've had a few more things to push the stealth aspect into the stratosphere.

Hey guys, just a question on the story very late game.

So after going back to the hospital, do you go after Eli? I'm guessing I just need to do lots more missions.

Ricky_R

Time for another reminder to find the delivery points at bases so you can fast travel across the map!

Where are these? Are they on each base, outpost, etc?

How does it work? If I'm with D-Horse traversing the map at any give moment (for example), can I fast travel from the iDroid? That would be sweet.

Ralemont

not me
So uh... I failed Mission 22 (
base invasion
). Will I be able to try it again?

yeah it'll be in your main mission list. I failed the first time. Second time was hilarious: I tranq'd a guy walking down from the very top platform. The commander saw it and poked his head around to see down the stairs. Shot him in the head with my precision rifle and completed the mission from the ground level lolol.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
So yeah I'm pretty sure I'm on the last few stretches and I guess I could super distil my overall thoughts at this point down to MGSV having the best core game systems and play space of any game in the series, marginally let down by an open world and overall game vision that could do with a bit more diversity and emergent behaviour in AI, events, and locations, mostly let down by a plot and mission pacing that to me is glaringly unpolished and unfinished. It's basically a game with an excellent core, wrapped in a package that's showing a lot of tears and rough edges. My gut says KojiPro dreamed very big and ran into development issues at two ends: firstly seeing that vision through on a new engines with no experience making open world games, resulting in a lot of changes throughout development, content cutting, optimising, reworking, and so on. And butting heads with Konami who wanted to see the game out sooner rather than later.

Overall I'm very happy with what we got, even if I would have preferred a more polished complete experience, if just because the core game plays so incredibly well that I'm much more forgiving of the other weaknesses (especially since one of those, narratives, hinges on something I personally feel the series has struggled with since MGS3).

sora87

Just sneak the whole way. I had to tranq two guards but the rest was just a lot of crouch walking an some crawling.

I was failing because I was trying to stealth, in the end
I just ran straight to the other base and climbed up a drain, missile launched the commander in the face and was done with it

Ralemont

not me
So yeah I'm pretty sure I'm on the last few stretches and I guess I could super distil my overall thoughts at this point down to MGSV having the best core game systems and play space of any game in the series, marginally let down by an open world and overall game vision that could do with a bit more diversity and emergent behaviour in AI, events, and locations, mostly let down by a plot and mission pacing that to me is glaringly unpolished and unfinished. It's basically a game with an excellent core, wrapped in a package that's showing a lot of tears and rough edges. My gut says KojiPro dreamed very big and ran into development issues at two ends: firstly seeing that vision through on a new engines with no experience making open world games, resulting in a lot of changes throughout development, content cutting, optimising, reworking, and so on. And butting heads with Konami who wanted to see the game out sooner rather than later.

Overall I'm very happy with what we got, even if I would have preferred a more polished complete experience, if just because the core game plays so incredibly well that I'm much more forgiving of the other weaknesses (especially since one of those, narratives, hinges on something I personally feel the series has struggled with since MGS3).

I'm surprised Konami isn't pushing for DLC to finish up the story. Seems like an ideal cash grab.

SomTervo

Prone makes you unstoppable.

I guess. But it is slow, yo. And sometimes we need fast.

Forget alert, you literally can't use the Cardboard Box fast-travel if a single enemy even suspects he's seen anything. If that white marker that signifies that a dude sees something pops up at any point, the delivery system shuts down immediately. I find it pretty much useless because of that. In the time it'd take me to ghost through the base to get to the delivery platform I could have just returned to the ACC and redeployed.

Holy fuck. I noticed it was easily broken, but I didn't realise it was that tough. Bloody hell. That has ruined it for me. If they were in easier to reach places, it wouldn't be an issue, but often they're right in the middle of a base.

I'm surprised Konami isn't pushing for DLC to finish up the story. Seems like an ideal cash grab.

Yeah, shit. It also has an internal game structure which perfectly lends itself to DLC. Just a few more missions on the iDroid, a new AO to go to.

Wow, I actually hope they do this, now. I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

first time hearing about a phone app

It's classic. Or at least, it was in Ground Zeroes where it definitely worked. It's basically the iDroid on your phone: map, cassette tapes and all. You can even listen to tapes while walking about in day to day life, like it's a podcast.

Hey couple of quick questions:
Is there any point in capturing animals?
And
How do decoys work? I imagine once I set one down if a guard see's it he will go towards it, but won't he just raise an alert?

Palpable

first time hearing about a phone app

GZ had one too. The app is basically the iDroid. You can do most everything on the app instead of pulling it up on your iDroid in-game. Problem is that the app wont connect to the game. Dunno if it has to do with Konami's shitty server issues or not.

Aurongel

And
How do decoys work? I imagine once I set one down if a guard see's it he will go towards it, but won't he just raise an alert?
They're more useful for distracting guards once an alert has been sounded or for knocking fools off cliffs.

Setsuna

GZ had one too. The app is basically the iDroid. You can do most everything on the app instead of pulling it up on your iDroid in-game. Problem is that the app wont connect to the game. Dunno if it has to do with Konami's shitty server issues or not.

Does it work with the PC version

Nerrel

I just discovered how incredible Super Metroid's soundtrack is as the helicopter music. Ridley's boss theme is great for hauling ass out of a mission you fucked up. Really nails the Alien escape sequence vibe.

Samus Aran's
theme is the most badass victory announcement there is. Hearing the chopper come in makes me feel like I could fulton Mother Brain.

meep!

Neo Member
End game question, regarding mission 45

So I know that in order to unlock mission 45 you need to have completed Side OP 150 which I assume is where you loose Quiet. I currently have the Butterfly emblem equiped since Quiet is my favorite Buddy and I'm not ready to loose her just yet. So I wonder is it safe to do mission 46 and whatever else comes after and pretty much save Side OP 150 and mission 45 until pretty much the very end or will I mess things up and not be able to get the true ending doing it like this?

SomTervo

And

You have to trigger decoys like C4. So put it in the place you want it, hit Triangle, and the guards will go check it out. They realise it's fake quite soon, though.

They're super useful for stopping vehicles in the wilderness, though. If you see an A++ or S rank driver going along, plant a decoy somewhere else on his supply route and wait for the truck to come by again. Release the decoy in the road, they'll get out to stop it, you run up and nab them both. Killer move. Almost impossible to get those guys otherwise imo.

Setsuna

You have to trigger decoys like C4. So put it in the place you want it, hit Triangle, and the guards will go check it out. They realise it's fake quite soon, though.

They're super useful for stopping vehicles in the wilderness, though. If you see an A++ or S rank driver going along, plant a decoy somewhere else on his supply route and wait for the truck to come by again. Release the decoy in the road, they'll get out to stop it, you run up and nab them both. Killer move. Almost impossible to get those guys otherwise imo.

Well there is the
EMP mine

Window

You can also just shoot at the truck or shoot out the tyres (haven't shot the tyres on a truck yet but definitely on a jeep) and they will stop and get out to investigate. If you're using a suppressor, they will not know your location.

And

There's a Trophy for capturing all types of animal, and you'll get a separate zoo platform for Mother Base where you can go and see everything you've caught. Certain animals can be worth a good chunk of GMP, too.

Decoys are basically a better version of the magazines you can throw. It doesn't set off an alert, it just draws their attention for as long as it takes them to go and pop it. You can also set them in the road to get enemy vehicles to stop. They're great.

i read something a few pages ago about
losing quiet

how do i prevent that?
I already maxed her out! And i read on an other website that we shouldn't use the butterfly on the emblem, to unlock the secret mission 46.... is it where we lose her? Should i play this mission at the very end when i completed every other missions to see what happen, they said it was an important part of the story?

Also an other question about fulton :

Can someone tell me how to get the
rank 5 fulton? i just got the rank 6 fulton, but it seems there's aslo a rank 5!

slash3584

What I hate the most is not what the game lacks, is that there probably won't be a game that fixes these issues.

I mean there is so much untapped potential that will never be realized.

KingKong

How so? Every way I'd consider it easy to break, it breaks you back.

Except maybe distraction items. They are pretty OP. Although often the level design fucks you up to compensate.

edit: aha, you changed your wording the instant I quoted you

I think the big issue for me is the open world level design combined with fultons means there's really no such thing as guard routes or getting spotted because you either whisk everyone away or kill/tranq the 2-3 guards in that general area.
Compare that to games like Thief and Splinter Cell where you need to plan things out and wait for the right moment to take out someone or be able to slip past them.

Its just a difference of design though, but it's why I think it's a very good stealth game and not a brilliant one

Also besides a few missions you actually don't even need to go far in somewhere and then think about getting out and I don't think it's a coincidence that those are the most tense and enjoyable levels

Top Bottom