• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain |OT2| A Franchise Robbed Of Its Future

Artex

Banned
How come Quiet disappears on me at random times during missions and side-ops? When it does happens she isn't available to help out at all.

'cause we ain't ride or die homies yet?
I think it's when she is moving location. She changes vantage points based on your movement or who you're targeting. Get that bond level up though, she gets a little hot for BB and lay's it on pretty thick.

Timeaisis

Just auto sort with R3 and every few missions do a fast scroll for Troublemakers (you can scroll at max speed and your eyes will still definitely catch it) Beyond that you just check if you're able to do a base expansion. You don't even really have to do Combat Deployments if you don't want to.

Doesn't the game just auto-sort for you without you doing anything? I've never used R3 and MB always drops bad people for better ones automatically. Or does R3 re-organize within who you already have?

I almost never manage MB. I just fulton everyone and do deployment missions.

megalowho

Seriously?!

A deadly parasitic organism spread by what language you speak?!

And now I have to go through all 647 members of my staff to find people
who speak Kikongo, and throw them all into quarantine?!

And of course I have people
who speak Kikongo
in the Brig which I can't do anything with... UGH.

KOJIMAAAAAA!!
So good.
You don't have to do any of that if you don't mind the consequences. Soldiers are easily replaceable and some are gonna die anyway. But the choice between busywork/care about your crew or keep going/fuck 'em just made me smile, even as I turned on a Podcast and got to work. Kojima saying fuck you to the player is kind of my favorite thing.

Greddleok

I think it's when she is moving location. She changes vantage points based on your movement or who you're targeting. Get that bond level up though, she gets a little hot for BB and lay's it on pretty thick.

I wonder if bond level is essentially just attraction. I'd hate to see what happens to D-Horse at bond 10.

I guess that's why they call him D-Horse

Mission 29 ulti-strategy

fight starts, bail on code talker, run straight left. theres a gap in the airport fence. you can go past it. the skulls wont. youll never be surrounded, you wont have any zombie bros on you, and code talker will be fine. call in supply drops on your side of the fence, dive when you see black smoke under you, and youll be fine.

miller will keep yelling to go back and save code talker, like youre leaving the mission area, but you arent. youre fine. that area is a little safe haven.

s rank

Alright JC I lied, I don't need 3 weeks: I'm not feeling MGSV.

I'd put the mechanics up against any other game, and when you're in the middle of a good infiltration it's like you're playing the best thing ever, but as soon as I take a step back from those moments, I realize I don't like anything else about the game. The presentation, the world, the (non) story, the characters, Mother Base, the game's structure, the grind for resources/weapons, the twists....none of it.

yeah, game has a lot of flat-out not good game design/storytelling decisions, no doubt. Won't even crack my top 5 GOTY list tbh

Its dope when you playing it tho, like actually on the missions

Icefire1424

Apologies if this has already been posted, but this thread is moving really quickly and I may have missed it.

Saw the update that there are some server issues, would that cause the game to not load up a new section? Got the message halfway through the prologue that I'd lost connection to the server, and the next bit never loaded - was just stuck on the "Now Loading - Don't Turn Off the Console - 507 seconds" screen for more than an hour.

I wasn't going to get this at first, because as a PC gamer, I'd literally never played a MGS game before. The reviews were too good, though, so a few days ago I bought Ground Zeroes and Phantom Pain.

Having played through Ground Zeroes and now a few hours of Phantom Pain, all I can say is, I get why Kojima gets so much love. He really is a true auteur and an artist, which in the gaming sphere is an incredibly rare phenomenon.

I love that you get the sense that this is one man's artistic vision being captured, and not a game focus tested to death in an attempt to create something which can appeal to as broad a group as possible and not offend anyone or confuse anyone.

And the gameplay is just super smooth and fun - you can see why this guy is the godfather of stealth.

So yeah, I'm pretty much a convert already, even though I've barely scratched the surface of Phantom Pain.

Honestly, hand on my heart, I think he is great as Snake.

I wasn't on the internet much when most of the games came out (played MGSa when I was 18/19), probably started getting into message boards post-MGS4 due to MGO, so I was genuinely shocked when I found out people didn't like him. Hell, I still am.

Kiefer's performance is fine. It's some scenes where doesn't speak at all that are jarring. It fits in some scenes, but in others it just gets ridiculous.

Jarmel

Banned
So many aspects of the game are incomplete or half-assed. Why can't I do anything on Mother Base other than watch cutscenes or do target practice?

Nearing the end of the game (
Chapter 2
), and I'm just finding out now that
__________Paz_____
is in the game somewhere?

How THE FUCK is that even possible?!

Timeaisis

Easy S for Mission 24:
Sprint to the prisoners, go the man first, who's running away. Fulton when he gets far enough. Once the guards realize he's gone, some will start standing RIGHT NEXT to the tent with the woman prisoner in it. Throw some smoke at the tent, grab the girl, gtfo.

I dicked around for 15 minutes trying to find that damn
rare flower or whatever
, which I never found, and I still S-ed it easy.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Doesn't the game just auto-sort for you without you doing anything? I've never used R3 and MB always drops bad people for better ones automatically. Or does R3 re-organize within who you already have?

I almost never manage MB. I just fulton everyone and do deployment missions.

It puts soldiers automatically in for you in empty spots but R3 sorts them to the best of their abilities.

Is there any way to "force" the game to checkpoint? Cause the save system as it is, might as well not exist on most side ops missions. If you fail or restart you just end up at the point of insertion. At least throw me a checkpoint when I get within 100mts of an enemy base FFS!

Also whoever thought the insertion with Heli was a good idea needs to be away from pitching video game ideas for ever. 30 seconds wasted every single time for no benefit at all. By itself it might not sound much but it really grates if you do a bunch of missions one after the other. I would much rather just parachute over the dropzone or something.

213372bu

Banned
How come Quiet disappears on me at random times during missions and side-ops? When it does happens she isn't available to help out at all.

'cause we ain't ride or die homies yet?

She might still be "scouting" or "attacking" a village.

If you go on your iDroid map and press up or down on the d-pad, you should be able to manually tell her to scout or attack the place you want her at.
--
Is there any way to "force" the game to checkpoint? Cause the save system as it is, might as well not exist on most side ops missions. If you fail or restart you just end up at the point of insertion. At least throw me a checkpoint when I get within 100mts of an enemy base FFS!
By clearing/entering/exiting outposts you get a save point. In missions where it'd be too easy they disable the feature, but I've only ever noticed in one mission in particular.

stuck on the "Now Loading - Don't Turn Off the Console - 507 seconds" screen for more than an hour.

You need to disconnect your console alltogether and restart the game. Pull the Cord or go to online settings and disconnect before booting the game. High Voltage studios worked on that part of the game.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
So many aspects of the game are incomplete or half-assed. Why can't I do anything on Mother Base other than watch cutscenes or do target practice?

why can I only customize shit when I'm on the ACC

like....WHAJTAJKSFAKLSFask

Nameless

Disagree. It is the comfiest MGS game BECAUSE of Mother Base. Its your own Big Shell soldier group. You can practically feel the sea breeze on your face.

Totally agree. Plus the process of building your base/staff adds a ton to the gameplay. The entire dynamic of a mission can change when you spot that especially talented soldier or that fleet of crates in the distance.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Kiefer's performance is fine. It's some scenes where doesn't speak at all that are jarring. It fits in some scenes, but in others it just gets ridiculous.

I'm not dissing Kiefer, only extolling the virtues of Hayter. :)

I think Sutherland's doing a good job. I'm invested in him. For me, his stoicism recalls Eastwood or Bronson type characters; they say little but when they do it gives what they say more weight. I think it's only really jarring in comparison to the older games where Snake (well, everyone really) was pretty verbose.

Jesus, that's a lot of $3 dollar words... :D

On another note: Skullface is fucking terrifying, isn't he? His eyes really freak me out.

jett

D-Member
ApprehensiveGiantAllosaurus.gif

I never used this until now and since I have wormhole extractor now I won't be using it again probably.

Man I've tried doing this several times and I never realized you had to press triangle again to grab the fulton. I have the wormhole now as well. Oh well.

I'm not dissing Kiefer, only extolling the virtues of Hayter. :)

I think Sutherland's doing a good job. I'm invested in him. For me, his stoicism recalls Eastwood or Bronson type characters; they say little but when they do it gives what they say more weight. I think it's only really jarring in comparison to the older games where Snake (well, everyone really) was pretty verbose.

Jesus, that's a lot of $3 dollar words... :D

On another note: Skullface is fucking terrifying, isn't he? His eyes really freak me out.

Yeah, he's a good villain.

Galileo

Neo Member
Can I take on tanks with the grenade launcher or should I wait until I can develop the first rocket launcher?
I've already done plenty of side ops and I'd like to do some main missions now

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
HOW IS THIS POSSIBLE?!?!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!

No one tell me, of course, as I will check it out tonight, but of all the people to be in this...

You aren't the only one. I suspect this slipped by quite a lot of players as the game never goes out of its way to tell you. Kinda had me paranoid for a while, I ran circles around Mother Base trying to figure out if there were any more hidden spots like that.

Geg

After failing mission 29 a few more times, it actually got pretty fun. Lol.
Once I mastered the CQC counterattack on the Skulls, I just ran around chipping away at their armor with my rifle, and countering when they tried to do the jump attack on me. Once they were all stripped of their armor, I led them out into the open, jumped onto the AA gun, and finished them all off at once. Mmmmm.
There was an AA gun? I didn't even see it :( I basically spent that whole fight running around taking cover behind tanks, countering their CQC and shooting them with a shotgun. The shotgun got rid of their armor in like two hits, which was nice compared to the assault rifle

J-Skee

Word.

Arguably The Witcher 3: The Wild Hunt did a similar thing, though.

I've no idea how I'm going to reconcile these two games for my GotY list. Dying Light is up there, too, for realising the 'zombie outbreak in a city' fantasy for me.

She stays around one place unless you order her to a new place.

To order her to a new place, go to iDroid > Missions > Buddy support > Quiet (Scout or Attack).

Or the shortcut for this is to go to iDroid > Map > Press up or down on d-pad.

Or even better, iDroid > press up or down on dpad on map > Quiet (Scout or Attack)

Krakatoa

I am loving this game so far. The unlimited ways to complete each mission keeps it fresh. The only limits are your imagination.

One thing I wish it had is the option to do missions with another player. Imagine sneaking around together in coop.

JimPanzer

question about quiet outfits

I heard there's an outfit which covers her up a bit more. I'm arrived at chapter 2 and still haven't got it. When will it happen? I'm not talking about the body paint or blood.

jett

D-Member
I'm replaying MGS3 at the same time as 5 and it's highlighted that Hayter is an incredibly bad voice actor.

Kiefer is great actually, despite not having many lines. His voice provides nuance and believability to Snake.

As much as I like MGS3, Hayter is the worst thing about it. He sounds like a cartoon character.

Icefire1424

You need to disconnect your console alltogether and restart the game. Pull the Cord or go to online settings and disconnect before booting the game. High Voltage studios worked on that part of the game.

Ah, thanks mate. Will try that out when I get home this evening.

bigace33

Just started this and I'm confused as all out doors. Gotta say that intro is probably one of the best game intros I have ever played, great cinematics, heart pumping action and really awesome pace. . Now I feel like I need to go back and at least play Ground zeros to get some kind of understanding to the story. Is this a direct sequel to MGS IV? I beat that game but can't quite remember how it ended.

Saw the save bug notice after I had already taken Quiet into mission 29. Guess I dodged a bullet.

Did some more raids last night. I'm still not sure why it's letting me start AT the core platform. It kind of trivializes the whole idea. I'm not fighting my way to the core, I'm just climbing the first pipe I see to the top and collecting on people. The last one got my name though and it said they were coming to retaliate...right before the server borked again.

CHC

yeah, game has a lot of flat-out not good game design/storytelling decisions, no doubt. Won't even crack my top 5 GOTY list tbh

Its dope when you playing it tho, like actually on the missions

I can agree. I love the core gameplay but there is a long list of things that I just straight-up don't like about the game, and as I play more they really wear at me. It's not a game I can do in long sittings, it's just extremely repetitive and I don't feel connected to the Mother Base stuff that much.

My biggest grievance is just how arduous it is to get around the world. Walker and Horse are both slow as hell and there are so many tiny little hills that necessitate a 5 mile detour just to get to the other side.

Just started this and I'm confused as all out doors. Gotta say that intro is probably one of the best game intros I have ever played, great cinematics, heart pumping action and really awesome pace. . Now I feel like I need to go back and at least play Ground zeros to get some kind of understanding to the story. Is this a direct sequel to MGS IV? I beat that game but can't quite remember how it ended.

It is a direct sequel to Ground Zeroes which is a direct sequel to MGS Peace Walker which is a sequel to MGS3.

I would recommend to play these.

Real Hero

I agree with you.

Fantastic GAME, terrible Metal Gear game.

By being a good game it's a good metal gear game. What you really mean is ' this doesn't fit the structure or design I think the series has to stick to (despite the designers feeling differently) so I'll call it a terrible metal gear game'

Top Bottom