• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain |OT2| A Franchise Robbed Of Its Future

julrik

Regarding brightness and the brightness slider - is there something wrong with it? I've put the brightness in the game down to 0, but it still looks a little washed out. My TV is calibrated properly. Is it recommended to lower the brightness on the TV as well, or what?

AEREC

Does anyone have some sales figures for steam on hand? I need this game to sell an absolute ton on PC; I'm really hoping that the sales figures are such that Konami just cannot ignore the amount of money they made on PC sales for MGSV and it damn near forces their money loving hands in releasing the MGS Legacy Collection, (pipe dream), or at least MGS HD Collection on Steam. I need this.....
I need it.

Don't know the exact numbers but it's been in the top 5 steam games since launch which is pretty good... so I'm sure its doing well. Thought not as good as the console versions.

It would be nice to have the series available on PC though.

Let me tell you about remote play from work on my Vita.

Super low latency, totally playable, but the controls...

If I want to grab and interrogate someone, I wave to Press the R button, touch the upper left of the rear touch panel, move the right analog stick to the correct command, then touch the lower right of the rear panel (which is R3). My fingers are curled up like I'm playing a guitar.

In the menus you can change the controls so that you dont need to press R3 to execute a command. Best way to play for me. The R3 click thing was annoying as hell.

I'll ask again, do I have to do the Extreme, Total Stealth and Subsistence missions to progress further in the story or can I just do Side-Ops?

Muffdraul

Alright, let's see if I did this right.

R&D Target Practice:
https://youtu.be/g79OzXcLFWk

Messed up in a few spots.

I love how R&D TP is the first one that unlocks, and is by far the hardest and most convoluted one to complete. I tried it and failed over and over, anally insisting that I beat it before I move on to the others. Eventually I said fuck it and moved on to the other ones, and was gobsmacked that they were all so much easier and straight forward. Anyway nice work soldier, I never went under 3:30 on R&D.

Cyto

I'll ask again, do I have to do the Extreme, Total Stealth and Subsistence missions to progress further in the story or can I just do Side-Ops?

Nope, you can do side ops, be sure to listen to all the tapes with yellow dots on them to unlock the next missions

Pejo

I think the Fulton is harmful to the stealth game design. I'd even say it's at odds with it to an extent.

It creates a bias towards non-lethally incapacitating enemies, which restricts the options as to how you might play (even when you don't plan on Fulton-ing someone). You also have to abandon the sense that you might kill a high-rank soldier to play lethally, which is difficult.

It also makes toilets and dumpsters a lot less important to be aware of. If you knew that your best option for disposing of bodies was to put them in one of those locations, rather than get away from onlookers and send them into the sky, you would become a lot more aware of them. That also means that you'd probably use them more to hide in.

It's a feature that is only harmful to MGSV as a stealth game.

Definitely agree with the Fulton mechanic. I haven't used a dumpster or outhouse since the very first mission in the desert. Fultons are just too good. Combine that with how good the sneaking suit/prone is, I have rarely, if ever, had to worry about the usual stealth aspects of hiding bodies and how to approach. I think metal gear has always prioritized and rewarded for no killing, but I'm always worried I'm going to not fulton a guy with a skill I need for an upgrade with this game.

brau

Heading into mission 29 with quiet.

Yolo.

I thought this will corrupt your save file.

latest

Real Hero

Does anyone know where last wandering motherbase guy mission takes place? It won't appear so I'm assuming I have a another side op in the same place?

EDIT: Actually there can't be another going by the
mission numbers yet I need another memento to have them all? What do I need to do?

Nameless

I think the Fulton is harmful to the stealth game design. I'd even say it's at odds with it to an extent.

It creates a bias towards non-lethally incapacitating enemies, which restricts the options as to how you might play (even when you don't plan on Fulton-ing someone). You also have to abandon the sense that you might kill a high-rank soldier to play lethally, which is difficult.

It also makes toilets and dumpsters a lot less important to be aware of. If you knew that your best option for disposing of bodies was to put them in one of those locations, rather than get away from onlookers and send them into the sky, you would become a lot more aware of them. That also means that you'd probably use them more to hide in.

I disagree. It's entirely up to you how you approach pretty much everything. Personally I do 90% of my fultoning during side-ops/free mode and only extract guys during missions if they're too talented in an area of need to pass up. In those situations so many more options open up based on my load out, the mission's main & sub objectives, field conditions etc.. Do I figure out a way to stealthily extract the guy without alerting the others? If so do I do it lethally or non-lethally? Do blatantly start a fire fight and try to take down everyone else besides my impromptu target? Do I use Quiet, D-Dog, or Helo support as a distraction? The list goes on. Fultoning adds a sorta choose-your-own-objective component to the game, unlocking entirely new threads of possibilities and decision making in real time.

Scotia

Banned
What the fuck?!

End of game spoilers:

I thought you had to do Side Op #150 and Mission 45 to get the last mission in the hospital? I just kicked Huey off Motherbase and Mission 46 has unlocked. I don't have Mission 45 and I don't have my bond with Quiet at full. Has anyone else had the same thing happen?

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
What the fuck?!

End of game spoilers:

I thought you had to do Side Op #150 and Mission 45 to get the last mission in the hospital? I just kicked Huey off Motherbase and Mission 46 has unlocked. I don't have Mission 45 and I don't have my bond with Quiet at full. Has anyone else had the same thing happen?

I beat the game without doing the quiet stuff(though I used the emblem to prevent it from triggering) so I know it's atleast possible that way.

bryt

I got a question about materials processing. I have 200,000 of each resource right now except precious metals that is unprocessed. Will it really take 20+ hours of game time for them to be processed? Is there any way to speed this up? It's getting processed at about 2500 every 30 minutes

Oh and if I just AFK in the chopper will my materials still be processed?

dan2026

Can someone please tell me how to unlock mission 46.

I have literally tried everything. Bonus main missions, side missions, base upgrades, everything.

FtHTiny

What the fuck?!

End of game spoilers:

All you have to do is mission grind as far as i know. And for the quiet missions it should be the same, i guess it´s a number of missions after you maxed out her bond or something.

Scotia

Banned
I beat the game without doing the quiet stuff(though I used the emblem to prevent it from triggering) so I know it's atleast possible that way.

All you have to do is mission grind as far as i know. And for the quiet missions it should be the same, i guess it´s a number of missions after you maxed out her bond or something.

Well, I guess what I read was wrong then. I heard that I had to do Mission 45 in order to get Mission 46. I'm glad it was wrong, I don't want to loose Quiet just yet. Thanks guys.

When invading you get to pick one of the various branches (r&d, intel, support etc), and from there you have to get to the core of that specific branch. If your invasions start on the core platform - the person hasn't built anything past the initial one. You can build upto 4 per branch.

When you've picked a person to invade check the platform you can invade.

Well, that was part of the issue I think. These people did have other platforms but it didn't make me land on those. I just picked the center platform but I was surprised it even let me land there. I assumed no matter where I landed I would have to go to another platform.

Takes some of the fun out if you can just choose to land on the core platform. I even had several choices to land on the core platform so I might have been able to pick the top helipad right next to the door but maybe I would be seen right away.

edit: As far as I know, there is no change or addition to the reward for choosing to land far away and traverse to the center. I'm not sure why you would do that if it lets you land right where you need to be.

I also haven't gotten a real handle on placing security measures of troops in the FOB. I Guess you want to put as many of them at the core as possible since you can start there.

Soulflarz

Banned
Thanks, will do that. I don't think I can beat
Quiet
when I get killed in one shot.

Considering she waits to shoot a good few seconds, it's very easy to beat her with a tranq sniper. I did the entire thing (from my first try and only death where I tested the timing to my win) in under 5 minutes.

Kid Ska

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016

I think their biggest issue is that no one EVER notices them.

CeeSaw

Does anyone know where last wandering motherbase guy mission takes place? It won't appear so I'm assuming I have a another side op in the same place?

EDIT: Actually there can't be another going by the
mission numbers yet I need another memento to have them all? What do I need to do?

Check the hallway leading to the room in the Medical Bay.

Phionoxx

Getting really tired of being on a FOB defense mission and the game forcibly disconnecting me from the server on PS4 resulting in an automatic loss. Has happened three times now. Most of the time restarting the application is a short term fix for half an hour or so. These servers are still a mess.

Sifl

Chapter 2 spoilers:

I'm sitting here hoping to get a notification that
Huey
developed another
Battle Tank
because the1 I sent out got destroyed on the very first Dispatch Mission. But that would make too much sense, they wouldn't make it so you can only get one so if it gets destroyed you can't do anymore missions, would they?

God fucking dammit

nbnt

is responsible for the well-being of this island.
Is there a PDF version of the official guide? Amazon doesn't seem to have any.

Upinsmoke

Ok so I'm really enjoying it but without a doubt it's bottom of the franchise for me. I've never felt so disconnected from the characters and objective of a metal gear game.

Every mission (whilst being fun) feels like a side mission, I don't feel like I'm getting any closer to anything, the missions feel tacked on, there to add to the length rather than the experience of chasing something.

The mechanics themselves are great, it plays great but the characters and location just do nothing for me, it feels so empty, especially the story.

Furyous

Did I somehow lock myself out of the stun arm blueprint side op by not completing it before meeting that dude in that place?

Anywhoo, let me tell y'all about a story of a man and his wolf:

We out there in the mean mountains of Afghanistan relaxing. By relaxing I mean stealing soldiers, resources, weapons, and vehicles. Next thing I know I
stumble unto a boss mission
. Who this mission was, where it was, or what was going on is irrelevant.
All I know is DDog is riding shotgun in the pilot seat while Quiet sits in handcuffs. Can we use two buddies at the same time?
Please tell me she receives a proper uniform at some point.

Have you guys discussed the absurdity that is going into a post and bitching about spoilers? Some scenes I can understand like that one scene in that one place somewhere in the game. However, the game is out and someone complaining about spoiling basic stuff is overthinking things because we're talking about the game in here.

Meier

So obviously the plastic surgery to change Snake's face at the beginning to hide his identity didn't go ahead due to the attack on the clinic, but will the face I chose ever show up again in the game? Or was it just a total red herring?

Top Bottom