• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain |OT2| A Franchise Robbed Of Its Future

Thunder Thor

Neo Member
I need help with unlocking the true ending.

I read in some website that in order to unlock it
you have to skip mission forty-something (don't remember), otherwise Quiet will die and you won't be able to see the true ending. But in other website they state that you can avoid this by putting a butterfly logo in your emblem.

So what are the exact requirements to unlock the true ending?

I'm really confused and I don't know how to proceed xD so any help would be appreciated.

[HP]

Last night I finished mission 28.

Mission 28 (Code talker)

Holy shit that was fucking amazefuckingballs. My soldiers are back on the motherbase dying from this annoying fucking decease, I keep sending more of them to quarantine but they keep dying left and right, I need to find this Code Talker guy, and make him give us a cure, fast! I'm 60 hours into the game, I don't want a freaking virus to make all that work go to waste.

I went in with Quiet, then mist settles in, and I'm like, Oh shit... here comes those annoying skulls again, I'll just sneak around them like I've been doing in the game so far. But turns out it's a new kind of skulls, it's 4 sniper chicks. They can see you really well in the mist, so I think what the fuck I have a scoped tranq sniper and I got Quiet, I'm gonna try to bring these ugly bitches down.
Quiet goes down after we take the first skull down, I'm all alone in the middle of these creepy ass swamps with 3 supernatural snipers on my ass, my chin is in the dirt and I'm determined to bring them down, they killed my comrades after all. I manage to create a distraction by sending smoke grenades far away from me, they'd all skope on that area and I'd see the laser from their rifles and I took two of them down, although the last sniper is not falling from this trick, it seems like she learned and is not falling from the same mistakes the others did, so I bring this one down old school, mano a mano sniper fight reminiscent from The End in MGS3 until I bring her down.

It feels awesome, it felt like revenge, but I still gotta find that old man. I keep moving towards the designated area where he's supposed to be, turns out it's this gigantic mansion / hacienda in the middle of fucking nowhere, I need to sneak inside and find the guy. Security is heavy and they know I'm coming because I took down the 4 skulls. By using pretty much most of my gadgets on me, I manage to sneak my way inside without no one even seeing me, even managed to fulton a few Elite guards.

I find the dude, great cutscene plays and seems like he's willing to help. But now I need to piggyback this guy back to the helicopter and it seems backup is here and security got way tighter now and so much time has gone by, it's now daytime! So I figure, what the fuck, you know what I'm shooting my way out of here rambo style, explosions everywhere, bullets flying, I got a fucking tank blocking the path I need to go, it's a sweet ride too so I drop the old man next to a big rock and sneak my way in next to it and fulton the tank like a motherfucking boss.

I barely managed to get to the helicopter alive, but we did it, safe and sound, let's finally bring a cure to our comrades!

No other game made me feel this badass before, this mission went on for 2 hours, and was absolutely glorious!

[HP];178128323 said:
Last night I finished mission 28.

Mission 28 (Code talker)

Holy shit that was fucking amazefuckingballs. My soldiers are back on the motherbase dying from this annoying fucking decease, I keep sending more of them to quarantine but they keep dying left and right, I need to find this Code Talker guy, and make him give us a cure, fast! I'm 60 hours into the game, I don't want a freaking virus to make all that work go to waste.

I went in with Quiet, then mist settles in, and I'm like, Oh shit... here comes those annoying skulls again, I'll just sneak around them like I've been doing in the game so far. But turns out it's a new kind of skulls, it's 4 sniper chicks. They can see you really well in the mist, so I think what the fuck I have a scoped tranq sniper and I got Quiet, I'm gonna try to bring these ugly bitches down.
Quiet goes down after we take the first skull down, I'm all alone in the middle of these creepy ass swamps with 3 supernatural snipers on my ass, my chin is in the dirt and I'm determined to bring them down, they killed my comrades after all. I manage to create a distraction by sending smoke grenades far away from me, they'd all skope on that area and I'd see the laser from their rifles and I took two of them down, although the last sniper is not falling from this trick, it seems like she learned and is not falling from the same mistakes the others did, so I bring this one down old school, mano a mano sniper fight reminiscent from The End in MGS3 until I bring her down.

It feels awesome, it felt like revenge, but I still gotta find that old man. I keep moving towards the designated area where he's supposed to be, turns out it's this gigantic mansion / hacienda in the middle of fucking nowhere, I need to sneak inside and find the guy. Security is heavy and they know I'm coming because I took down the 4 skulls. By using pretty much most of my gadgets on me, I manage to sneak my way inside without no one even seeing me, even managed to fulton a few Elite guards.

I find the dude, great cutscene plays and seems like he's willing to help. But now I need to piggyback this guy back to the helicopter and it seems backup is here and security got way tighter now and so much time has gone by, it's now daytime! So I figure, what the fuck, you know what I'm shooting my way out of here rambo style, explosions everywhere, bullets flying, I got a fucking tank blocking the path I need to go, it's a sweet ride too so I drop the old man next to a big rock and sneak my way in next to it and fulton the tank like a motherfucking boss.

I barely managed to get to the helicopter alive, but we did it, safe and sound, let's finally bring a cure to our comrades!

No other game made me feel this badass before, this mission went on for 2 hours, and was absolutely glorious!

Love that mission. It was so tense the entire time.

So how do you proceed to the real ending if not via the missions? Or can I just not do the
recycled
ones and new main missions will still unlock?

I just did a side-op, and then a couple of yellow story-centric side-ups unlocked followed by a new main mission. Haven't had to do a repeat yet.

Sayter

I love Keifer Sutherland. But he's no David Hayter. I've been listening to the tapes and it just doesn't sound right. It's like Keifer phoned it in, asked for this check, and left.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Nope, you can do side ops, be sure to listen to all the tapes with yellow dots on them to unlock the next missions

I've done up to 95 or so side-ops with none left that are undone. He will need to do those missions if they're main story missions to unlock later ones AFAIK.

Real Hero

So, I heard for one of the last few missions it's reccomended you bring explosives with you because you can't use supply drop and it locks you into two missions or something? Is this the case?

I hate this mission, an early one
. Was right at the end and was perfectly happy with how I did and how everything went, when I died. Tried to restart from checkpoint but the game was just like hahahah jk fuck you there was no checkpoint

Have been retrying it but keep screwing up something simple or having issues with something and ugh

Completed the honey bee mission (thinks that's what it's called) My favorite mission yet. Just a question about that mission
Was it possible to interrogate a soldier to get the location of the honey bee weapon?

DDOG is still a puppy, is there any way to interact with him?

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Just realised, what happened to Big Boss' infatuation with using his weapon and knife simultaneously? Did Kojima have a temporary knife fetish around the time of 3 and 4, which he's now gotten over?

He kinda dropped it with Peace Walker to get a lower rating, and I guess he didn't feel it was worth modeling in Phantom Pain. Though there are scenes with knives being used in CQC anyway.

Just got the game... so 2 quick questions...

Should I play Metal Gear Solid Ground Zeroes before I play Metal Gear Solid 5? I have a copy they gave me when I picked up 5. How long does it take for a Ground Zeroes play thru???

Oh shit didn't even think about that let's see!

Well it had a couple day old save but better than nothing I guess. Thanks a ton lol.

No problem, glad it worked kinda out for you :)

Just got the game... so 2 quick questions...

Should I play Metal Gear Solid Ground Zeroes before I play Metal Gear Solid 5? I have a copy they gave me when I picked up 5. How long does it take for a Ground Zeroes play thru???

Yes and only 45-90 minutes.

Dimmle

Completed the honey bee mission (thinks that's what it's called) My favorite mission yet. Just a question about that mission
Was it possible to interrogate a soldier to get the location of the honey bee weapon?

You can accidentally smack the shit out of him like I did and then recoil in horror.

Glass

Just finished chapter 1, and
I'm not feeling much of anything. The whole language story isn't really connecting with me. Characters don't really have any character.

Obscura

So obviously the plastic surgery to change Snake's face at the beginning to hide his identity didn't go ahead due to the attack on the clinic, but will the face I chose ever show up again in the game? Or was it just a total red herring?

The plastic surgery did happen. The bit with the doctor showing you your face in the mirror right before the attack is post surgery. Yet you look exactly like big boss. Still confused by that. The face you made is for MGO.

Zambatoh

Just realised, what happened to Big Boss' infatuation with using his weapon and knife simultaneously? Did Kojima have a temporary knife fetish around the time of 3 and 4, which he's now gotten over?

It's kind of a huge spoiler related to the ending, but if you must know...

Venom Snake's CQC style is very different from Big Boss. As you may have noticed that he prefers a more brute force approach this time around.

weekev

Banned
Finished up Mission 12 this morning. Definitely my favorite mission so far. Looking forward to checking out Africa later.

Ridiculous (in a good way!) how long this game is. Through 12 missions and I think 20 side ops and I'm at like 34.5 hours played.
Man Im so stuck on mission 12
cant get past the forecourt bit with the Star Wars walker things, how did everyone else do it?

Hasney

I've done up to 95 or so side-ops with none left that are undone. He will need to do those missions if they're main story missions to unlock later ones AFAIK.

He won't. I'm yet to attempt a single one. hell, you can even repeat old missions/side ops

Orcastar

You can throw empty magazines near him and he'll run after them, but he won't actually pick them up and bring them back to you, which is kinda disappointing.

It's kind of a huge spoiler related to the ending, but if you must know...

Venom Snake's CQC style is very different from Big Boss. As you may have noticed that he prefers a more brute force approach this time around.

Not really. He doesn't use one in PW or GZ either, and there's no reason given.
Venom uses the exact same CQC as Big Boss did in Ground Zeroes. Aside from the bionic arm specific stuff.

Alienous

I've been thinking about the story.

This game really doesn't have a story to justify the open world. It just isn't big, it might even be a smaller scale story than past games (like MGS4). So the game ends up feeling like a 10 hour story stuck inside of a 40 hour game.

That really should have been something they looked at going into the game. "How to we make a story that justifies the scale?".

Vlaphor

So, end game question

Is there no way to finish the game and keep quiet?

If you're playing on PC, you can alter some files and add her back to your crew, but that's it.

I feel like I've missed out on a lot of Quiet's scenes.
I'm close to max bond and I've seen 2 cut scenes.

Max out the bond, then spend about five days in a dumpster (use Phantom Cigar) and head back to Mother Base for another cutscene

Ishida

Banned
I love Keifer Sutherland. But he's no David Hayter. I've been listening to the tapes and it just doesn't sound right. It's like Keifer phoned it in, asked for this check, and left.

I just wished Kiefer actually opened his mouth to speak instead of mumbling and whispering his dialogues in this game. Open you fucking lips, man.

Victrix

*beard*
In a fit of irony, Quiet is annoyingly vocal.

Is there any way to shut her up? Her nonstop humming is enough for me to banish her back to the medical brig for the rest of the game.

Zambatoh

Not really. He doesn't use one in PW or GZ either, and there's no reason given.
Venom uses the exact same CQC as Big Boss did in Ground Zeroes.

Peace Walker was built with a younger audience in mind so they used the stun rod in it's place. But functionally it played the same role.

In GZ, I'll give you this one since he only uses it during CQC Interrogations and knife kills.

However...
Venom's CQC does feature entirely new animations that weren't present in Ground Zeroes. Some of which look like they were done with a lot more force applied to them compared to BB's more kinetic approach.
It is pretty clear that BB trained him personally, but obviously the student will not fight exactly the same as their master did.

Top Bottom