• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain |OT2| A Franchise Robbed Of Its Future

Finalow

that med bay hidden cutscene. what the fuck

I asked for dumb stuff and there you go.

this however pretty much ruins the ending of GZ, which I liked. thanks kojima

You should enable it for combat deployments just through progressing the story.
seems weird to give me the mission while the thing isn't ready. if I visit the hangar nothing happens, still. and I have the "yellow dot" on the map, like if something should actually happen when I go there.

KevinG

seems weird to give me the mission while the thing isn't ready. if I visit the hangar nothing happens, still. and I have the "yellow dot" on the map, like if something should actually happen when I go there.

Keep playing.

Orcastar

Mission 16:

Tranqed all the guards at one of the guardposts and waited. Truck arrives, stops and the driver gets out to inspect the sleeping guards. Shoot him in the head with my tranq sniper rifle.

Oh shit, Skulls! is what I might have said had the opening credits not spoiled the fact they were gonna show up.

Shoot one of them in the head with my tranq sniper rifle, doing hardly any damage and causing them to spot me. Try to take them on with my assault rifle only to find out that they're pretty much impossible to beat this way. Proceed to die.

Second attempt. Circle around to the tank behind the truck and get in, thinking that the Skulls are about to get owned. Proceed to accidentally blow up the truck because I wasn't used to tank controls. Whoops.

Third attempt. Place a decoy in front of the bastards without getting spotted and circle around behind the truck. Deploy the decoy, causing the Skulls to move away from the truck, though not as far away as I had hoped. To hell with it, proceed to fulton the truck with the closest Skull standing maybe 10 metres away. He doesn't notice. Decide to fulton the tank as well and run away make a tactical retreat to the nearest LZ. Silly nearsighted Skulls never knew I was there. Fun times.

Soma

long day at work

get home and log back into the game...

"base successfully defended against infiltration"

ly8FZ0L.png

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Can you be invaded when you're not playing?

Unfortunately, yes. I know what they're going for (your base is able to be attacked at anytime) but with hackers on PC: It's all sorts of stupid.

PensOwl

Banned
It's kind of a huge spoiler related to the ending, but if you must know...

Venom Snake's CQC style is very different from Big Boss. As you may have noticed that he prefers a more brute force approach this time around.

That doesn't hold up.

the real big boss was in Ground Zeroes and it was exactly the same cqc style as Phantom Pain

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
In a fit of irony, Quiet is annoyingly vocal.

Is there any way to shut her up? Her nonstop humming is enough for me to banish her back to the medical brig for the rest of the game.
Lol her nonstop humming is letting you know she has a target

backlot

I've got the opposite right now where I have Battle Gear ready but I don't have the deployments for it unlocked. The deployments in this game seem a lot riskier than they were in Peace Walker. I only have a 60% success rate on my last unlocked mission.

Broank

[HP];178128323 said:
Last night I finished mission 28.

Mission 28 (Code talker)

Holy shit that was fucking amazefuckingballs. My soldiers are back on the motherbase dying from this annoying fucking decease, I keep sending more of them to quarantine but they keep dying left and right, I need to find this Code Talker guy, and make him give us a cure, fast! I'm 60 hours into the game, I don't want a freaking virus to make all that work go to waste.

I went in with Quiet, then mist settles in, and I'm like, Oh shit... here comes those annoying skulls again, I'll just sneak around them like I've been doing in the game so far. But turns out it's a new kind of skulls, it's 4 sniper chicks. They can see you really well in the mist, so I think what the fuck I have a scoped tranq sniper and I got Quiet, I'm gonna try to bring these ugly bitches down.
Quiet goes down after we take the first skull down, I'm all alone in the middle of these creepy ass swamps with 3 supernatural snipers on my ass, my chin is in the dirt and I'm determined to bring them down, they killed my comrades after all. I manage to create a distraction by sending smoke grenades far away from me, they'd all skope on that area and I'd see the laser from their rifles and I took two of them down, although the last sniper is not falling from this trick, it seems like she learned and is not falling from the same mistakes the others did, so I bring this one down old school, mano a mano sniper fight reminiscent from The End in MGS3 until I bring her down.

It feels awesome, it felt like revenge, but I still gotta find that old man. I keep moving towards the designated area where he's supposed to be, turns out it's this gigantic mansion / hacienda in the middle of fucking nowhere, I need to sneak inside and find the guy. Security is heavy and they know I'm coming because I took down the 4 skulls. By using pretty much most of my gadgets on me, I manage to sneak my way inside without no one even seeing me, even managed to fulton a few Elite guards.

I find the dude, great cutscene plays and seems like he's willing to help. But now I need to piggyback this guy back to the helicopter and it seems backup is here and security got way tighter now and so much time has gone by, it's now daytime! So I figure, what the fuck, you know what I'm shooting my way out of here rambo style, explosions everywhere, bullets flying, I got a fucking tank blocking the path I need to go, it's a sweet ride too so I drop the old man next to a big rock and sneak my way in next to it and fulton the tank like a motherfucking boss.

I barely managed to get to the helicopter alive, but we did it, safe and sound, let's finally bring a cure to our comrades!

No other game made me feel this badass before, this mission went on for 2 hours, and was absolutely glorious!

lol I also just did that mission last night and took like 2+ hours. I did it in a little different way. Was damn amazing!

koryuken

Just realised, what happened to Big Boss' infatuation with using his weapon and knife simultaneously? Did Kojima have a temporary knife fetish around the time of 3 and 4, which he's now gotten over?

tumblr_lxngkpRxz21r9ehrio1_1280.jpg

metal-gear-solid-4-guns-of-the-patriots--20060823093445539-000.jpg

I noticed this too. I really liked the knife play... now it is just relegated to a silent take-down.

BadHand

long day at work

get home and log back into the game...

"base successfully defended against infiltration"

ly8FZ0L.png

Do you have supporters that defend you base for you? I have defended a few for people and they defend your base in return when you're not online. It's easy GMP for everyone.

If you have a properly defended base and support other players it doesn't matter whatsoever that you can be invaded when offline.

Zambatoh

That doesn't hold up.

the real big boss was in Ground Zeroes and it was exactly the same cqc style as Phantom Pain

He has the same basic moves but many of the animations are different. The Corner CQC for example is very different from the one used in Ground Zeroes. Venom also uses a bunch of Counter-attack CQCs not present in any of the games Big Boss or Solid Snake have starred in.

A great example is when he fights the Rock Armor Skulls after the Code Talker mission. You can counter-attack their machete attacks and jam it right into their necks. The real BB never did anything like this.

MMarston

Has anyone checked out the soundtrack? What song fits as the 'main theme' of the game?
V Has Come To is the main theme
The tune of Return can be considered the secondary theme IMO
Quiet's Theme is pretty much the love theme of the game, but for reasons unclear, the better instrumental versions aren't on the OST

And those who finish episode 31 would know that Sins of the Father becomes unintentionally funny

Everyone talking about this game somehow sapped my desire to play it. I haven't rescued Kaz yet and I cannot muster enthusiasm to play.

Also I restarted the intro because I didnt want my guy to be named Snake and the second time around got an A instead of an S. This has been bugging the hell out of me.

Has anyone ever had something like this happen? The zeitgeist taking you out of the game?

Mission 16:

Tranqed all the guards at one of the guardposts and waited. Truck arrives, stops and the driver gets out to inspect the sleeping guards. Shoot him in the head with my tranq sniper rifle.

Oh shit, Skulls! is what I might have said had the opening credits not spoiled the fact they were gonna show up.

Shoot one of them in the head with my tranq sniper rifle, doing hardly any damage and causing them to spot me. Try to take them on with my assault rifle only to find out that they're pretty much impossible to beat this way. Proceed to die.

Second attempt. Circle around to the tank behind the truck and get in, thinking that the Skulls are about to get owned. Proceed to accidentally blow up the truck because I wasn't used to tank controls. Whoops.

Third attempt. Place a decoy in front of the bastards without getting spotted and circle around behind the truck. Deploy the decoy, causing the Skulls to move away from the truck, though not as far away as I had hoped. To hell with it, proceed to fulton the truck with the closest Skull standing maybe 10 metres away. He doesn't notice. Decide to fulton the tank as well and run away make a tactical retreat to the nearest LZ. Silly nearsighted Skulls never knew I was there. Fun times.

After a few failed attempts I called in an airstrike which solved that problem quickly.

Kai

Can someone who beat the game or is at the last few missions help me out?

Need some help having just completed mission 41.

The only missions I have left to choose from are the harder repeat missions. I've brought back all 10 photos to Paz and she isn't reacting to anything. I just got the cinematic with Eli leaving the base with the kids and listened to Huey's Tape 4. All side ops are white (children side ops done). How can I get more story missions/required side ops/Paz's next steps - without doing the harder older missions. What am I missing?
Last edited by Kai; Today at 07:38 PM.

Everyone talking about this game somehow sapped my desire to play it. I haven't rescued Kaz yet and I cannot muster enthusiasm to play.

Also I restarted the intro because I didnt want my guy to be named Snake and the second time around got an A instead of an S. This has been bugging the hell out of me.

Has anyone ever had something like this happen? The zeitgeist taking you out of the game?

You haven't even finished the first level dude.

brau

So. a coworker was telling me i can send Quiet to scout ahead of me. I believe in the videos they would use the map. But i don't see an option. He told me that i should use my binoculars and use the action button to change what the left trigger does. To assign new things. I don't see anything to get her to move.

Right now she does as she pleases and its very annoying.

What am i not doing?

The only missions I have left to choose from are the harder repeat missions. I've brought back all 10 photos to Paz and she isn't reacting to anything. I just got the cinematic with Eli leaving the base with the kids and listened to Huey's Tape 4. All side ops are white (children side ops done). How can I get more story missions/required side ops/Paz's next steps - without doing the harder older missions. What am I missing?

You can ignore the repeat missions and just do side-ops. New stuff will kick in automagically.

J-Skee

[HP];178128323 said:
Last night I finished mission 28.

Mission 28 (Code talker)

Holy shit that was fucking amazefuckingballs. My soldiers are back on the motherbase dying from this annoying fucking decease, I keep sending more of them to quarantine but they keep dying left and right, I need to find this Code Talker guy, and make him give us a cure, fast! I'm 60 hours into the game, I don't want a freaking virus to make all that work go to waste.

I went in with Quiet, then mist settles in, and I'm like, Oh shit... here comes those annoying skulls again, I'll just sneak around them like I've been doing in the game so far. But turns out it's a new kind of skulls, it's 4 sniper chicks. They can see you really well in the mist, so I think what the fuck I have a scoped tranq sniper and I got Quiet, I'm gonna try to bring these ugly bitches down.
Quiet goes down after we take the first skull down, I'm all alone in the middle of these creepy ass swamps with 3 supernatural snipers on my ass, my chin is in the dirt and I'm determined to bring them down, they killed my comrades after all. I manage to create a distraction by sending smoke grenades far away from me, they'd all skope on that area and I'd see the laser from their rifles and I took two of them down, although the last sniper is not falling from this trick, it seems like she learned and is not falling from the same mistakes the others did, so I bring this one down old school, mano a mano sniper fight reminiscent from The End in MGS3 until I bring her down.

It feels awesome, it felt like revenge, but I still gotta find that old man. I keep moving towards the designated area where he's supposed to be, turns out it's this gigantic mansion / hacienda in the middle of fucking nowhere, I need to sneak inside and find the guy. Security is heavy and they know I'm coming because I took down the 4 skulls. By using pretty much most of my gadgets on me, I manage to sneak my way inside without no one even seeing me, even managed to fulton a few Elite guards.

I find the dude, great cutscene plays and seems like he's willing to help. But now I need to piggyback this guy back to the helicopter and it seems backup is here and security got way tighter now and so much time has gone by, it's now daytime! So I figure, what the fuck, you know what I'm shooting my way out of here rambo style, explosions everywhere, bullets flying, I got a fucking tank blocking the path I need to go, it's a sweet ride too so I drop the old man next to a big rock and sneak my way in next to it and fulton the tank like a motherfucking boss.

I barely managed to get to the helicopter alive, but we did it, safe and sound, let's finally bring a cure to our comrades!

No other game made me feel this badass before, this mission went on for 2 hours, and was absolutely glorious!

Wow, I did that mission in a completely different way.
I was able to sneak past the Skulls & when I came back up with Code Talker, all the soldiers were taken over by the mist.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.

Stop reading and go play.

MMarston

the real last photo is on the wall in the hallway leading up to her room. Easy to miss too

So. a coworker was telling me i can send Quiet to scout ahead of me. I believe in the videos they would use the map. But i don't see an option. He told me that i should use my binoculars and use the action button to change what the left trigger does. To assign new things. I don't see anything to get her to move.

What am i not doing?

I know that the long way to do it at least, is to go to buddy support in your idroid.

Imm0rt4l

He has the same basic moves but many of the animations are different. The Corner CQC for example is very different from the one used in Ground Zeroes. Venom also uses a bunch of Counter-attack CQCs not present in any of the games Big Boss or Solid Snake have starred in.

A great example is when he fights the Rock Armor Skulls after the Code Talker mission. You can counter-attack their machete attacks and jam it right into their necks. The real BB never did anything like this.
You're reaching imo.
And I don't think the counter attack thing holds any weight. There aren't any machetr wielding enemies in ground zeroes and its too short to give you the option of learning new abilities. Also consider that venom has a metal prosthetic hands that he can literally stop a blade with by parrying

What am i not doing?

It's in the buddy options on your idroid.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.

Just do side ops, eventually more cutscenes happen. They don't need to be yellow, just normal unrelated things move forward.

Also go through all the tapes if you haven't. I believe the yellow ones are needed to be listened to for the ending to trigger. I don't believe the Paz stuff is needed but there's a final photo in the hallway you can grab if you've showed her the rest.

Zambatoh

What am i not doing?

Open up the iDroid's Map screen and push Up or Down to switch between the different cursor modes. If Quiet is in your party, you should also see options for her to Scout or Attack. The latter of which just tells her to take up a position.

Top Bottom