• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain |OT2| A Franchise Robbed Of Its Future

mosdl

Same. Sometimes I can fulton just feet from a guard and other times it'll be a random guard 30 yards way with his back turned only to turn around and freak out, calling CP to let em know a balloon snatched somebody. Haven't managed to find a common thread to it so it feels very random.

Its sound and vision based - as someone above mentioned, less than 40 they will often hear/see it even with their backs turned. Rain reduces sound radius so that helps, but I agree that sometimes it seems a bit too random.

Throwing some empty clips to move soliders out of the range has worked fine for me.

Maybe. I mean the trailer cuts from this game made it seem more story focused, which is the staple of the series if you ignore the spinoffs like Peace Walker, but it doesn't seem that's what we really got. Then there's the lack of interesting boss fights and the repetitiveness of the game play.

Looking back at MGS4 I'd say there were definitely some things wrongs there, but it still had the classic MGS DNA. I think the reviewers seem to get caught up in the hype a little too much. I'm not discounting that they had great experiences playing the games, but MGSV a 10? MGSIV a 10? Get out of here.

I'm going to put this in spoiler tags since it's a broader discussion of story in MGSV:

The trailers are one of the main problems, I feel like. They hype up this amazing metal gear experience, and in the end, when you play the game, you kind of just see everything that's been shown in trailers. There's nothing extra. No surprises (at least, so far, I only just finished chapter 1) I mean, when the final Kojima directed trailer came out and they showed Sahelanthropus, I was like "okay I wish I hadn't seen that but I guess kojima wanted me to" and then...there was no game payoff.

And yeah, MGSIV was a more contemporary game in a lot of ways, but it had batshit story elements that shook it free from the pack and made it a metal gear game. this doesn't.

The story has always been the big thing in the Metal Gear series. The story IS Metal Gear, that's what people always talk about. The series is known for its story, not its gameplay.

It has been both story AND gameplay. When I talk with others about MG, we talk about naked kartwheels, holding guards up, putting C4 on their backs, Mantis and his antics, getting a cold, poisoning guards with spoiled food, the different ways to kill The End, the Sorrow battle, blowing up food storage, hunting animals, melting ice cubes, and all the other crazy boss battles and gameplay systems with extreme attention to detail.

Speak for yourself, when you say it's disappointing. I have been a MG fan since I first played it on NES. MGS was the first game I ever preordered (had to save all my lunch money) and I must have played the Japanese demo disc for MGS for hundreds of hours. I love the shit out of this series and so do a lot of my friends. We all love it. This game is awesome and is one of the best MG games I have ever played. This is the perfect Metal Gear in a lot of ways and is definitely a Metal Gear game. I really don't get how people say it's not.

mosdl

Maybe. I mean the trailer cuts from this game made it seem more story focused, which is the staple of the series if you ignore the spinoffs like Peace Walker, but it doesn't seem that's what we really got. Then there's the lack of interesting boss fights and the repetitiveness of the game play.

Looking back at MGS4 I'd say there were definitely some things wrongs there, but it still had the classic MGS DNA. I think the reviewers seem to get caught up in the hype a little too much. I'm not discounting that they had great experiences playing the games, but MGSV a 10? MGSIV a 10? Get out of here.

Lets be honest, most MGS boss fights are lackluster and gameplay has always been repetitive. Its just rose tinted glasses in effect.

Nose Master

I like how in your helicopter your quiet "picture" is like a fucking pentouse fold out poster. Literally every other picture is just standard size. But Quiet? Nah, we went to Kinko's for that ass.

The game is very good, but it's not MGS. You could swap the characters out with any other generic raggamuffins and have the exact same game and experience. For the last MGS game, that sucks.

Was the cutscene in which Quiet tried to
stab a guy in the mouth was just her noticing that the infection was starting to spread
? Will there be any follow up on that ? I'm at chapter 30 btw.

Setsuna

I heard you can download the game with Japanese support on Steam.

Does this mean you can play with Japanese voices and English everything else?

Theres a language select in the steam properties menu but that queues a 10 gig download and I really dont feel like downloading 10 gigs just to try out japanese

Edzi

It has been both story AND gameplay. When I talk with others about MG, we talk about naked kartwheels, holding guards up, putting C4 on their backs, Mantis and his antics, getting a cold, poisoning guards with spoiled food, the different ways to kill The End, the Sorrow battle, blowing up food storage, hunting animals, melting ice cubes, and all the other crazy boss battles and gameplay systems with extreme attention to detail.

Speak for yourself, when you say it's disappointing. I have been a MG fan since I first played it on NES. MGS was the first game I ever preordered (had to save all my lunch money) and I must have played the Japanese demo disc for MGS for hundreds of hours. I love the shit out of this series and so do a lot of my friends. We all love it. This game is awesome and is one of the best MG games I have ever played. This is the perfect Metal Gear in a lot of ways and is definitely a Metal Gear game. I really don't get how people say it's not.

You kinda said it yourself. MGS has always been story AND gameplay. This game seems to stumble pretty hard on stuff that isn't gameplay, while doing the gameplay really well, so I'd say it's definitely a very non MGS like game overall. I'm only about 26 missions in so far, but while I'm enjoying the game I'm definitely somewhat disappointed in the whole package. It'll probably get worse if the ending impressions I've seen in this thread are anything to go by.

robotrock

Banned
Guys, was I supposed to do Mission
before Mission
? Because I still haven't unlocked
but I did just play

How do I unlock it?
I also need to add that despite finishing mission 46 I still haven't met (MAJOR MGSV SPOILER)
Paz yet. What do I do

I'm going to put this in spoiler tags since it's a broader discussion of story in MGSV:

The trailers are one of the main problems, I feel like. They hype up this amazing metal gear experience, and in the end, when you play the game, you kind of just see everything that's been shown in trailers. There's nothing extra. No surprises (at least, so far, I only just finished chapter 1) I mean, when the final Kojima directed trailer came out and they showed Sahelanthropus, I was like "okay I wish I hadn't seen that but I guess kojima wanted me to" and then...there was no game payoff.

And yeah, MGSIV was a more contemporary game in a lot of ways, but it had batshit story elements that shook it free from the pack and made it a metal gear game. this doesn't.

After the intro hospital sequence, it's like they said, "Nah. They probably don't want anymore of this."

MUCH BETTER:

KvIKjrC.jpg

there's your problem. 75% of the story is in the tapes.

I know. I wish I could listen to them while going on side ops but I didn't find a way to dial back sound effects and music in the audio options (there isn't one, right ?), so I can't hear shit if I listen while playing.

I don't have enough spare time to start listening to cassette tapes while sitting on my ass doing nothing. Not a fan of this design choice.

does clock manipulation work?

It works for most games, so probably this one too. You should give it a try.

Gotta be honest, playing V makes me appreciate IV a whole lot more, and I never really had too many issues with IV, but did share some of the criticisms people had regarding pacing and plot mainly. But honestly, I've played about 30 hours of V and I'm already getting a bit bored. Playing the game, controlling the character is fantastic, but side ops are incredibly boring, the story hasn't really grabbed me yet, and really, this is no different from the typical open-world game of its kind.

I don't know, it doesn't feel like a MGS game to me and that's not a good thing.

robotrock

Banned
Guys, was I supposed to do Mission
before Mission
? Because I still haven't unlocked
but I did just play

How do I unlock it?
I also need to add that despite finishing mission 46 I still haven't met (MAJOR MGSV SPOILER)
Paz yet. What do I do

please help i am sweating did i ruin kojima's last metal gear masterpiece for myself

[HP]

Man... I'm itching to know if the "White Mamba" is
Jack (Raiden) or Liquid.

The game is hinting that it's the former, but you never know with Kojima.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
[HP];178175507 said:
Jack (Raiden) or Liquid.

You will get a definitive answer.

Caode

Just finished episode 30 and 31. That
entire cutscene at the beginning of Episode 31 was incredible, the fight itself with Sahelanthropus was a bit on the messy side of things but somehow I managed to S rank it on the first go, sheer luck more than anything,
. Time to do some more side ops and base building, approaching the 100 hour mark now and I'm not feeling one bit bored, or burned out by the game at all... incredible stuff so far.

I feel like the root of where I'm at with my problems with the game is that I don't see much of a reason to do things different a lot of the time.

Like...WHY should I develop a shotgun? I like shotguns in games, but I feel like if I bring one into a mission the mission won't go well. I don't see much of a reason to not just slap a silencer on all my stuff.

Timeaisis

I feel like the root of where I'm at with my problems with the game is that I don't see much of a reason to do things different a lot of the time.

Like...WHY should I develop a shotgun? I like shotguns in games, but I feel like if I bring one into a mission the mission won't go well. I don't see much of a reason to not just slap a silencer on all my stuff.

Side ops are for experimentation. Just go hog wild developing shit and testing different infiltration methods. Then apply what you've learned to missions. It's a pretty exceptional gameplay loop.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.

You are not ranked in side ops. There are over 150. Kill everyone with shotguns and stuff.

[HP];178175507 said:
Jack (Raiden) or Liquid.

How far along are you? Have you actually met White Mamba yet? If not, do not read this spoiler:

I think it's very clearly supposed to be Liquid, right from when you fight him. I mean, he has a british accent and he says "It's not over yet, snake!" when you have your little skirmish with him. I can't see how it ISN'T Liquid.

Setsuna

On another note is there a way to stop the game from opeining in windowed mode before it auto switches to fullscreen upon full game launch

Exactly, I see no reason to use any other weapon other than my tranq pistol, a silenced assault rifle, and maybe a sniper, lethal or non-. Always silenced.

If the mission dictates I will bring a fucking rocket launcher. The whole thing seems inconsequential. It's clear the mother base stuff and open-world aspect was more important than the narrative.

Top Bottom