• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain |OT2| A Franchise Robbed Of Its Future

So far Episode
has been my favorite one. Just the randomness of it was pretty cool, didn't expect it to become what it was by starting the
Emmerich
side op

So a couple questions:

About outfits/costumes - do you guys actually try to match up camo for the specific mission? Do you just choose the stealth outfit? Also, are there any different looks other than stealth outfit, battle outfit, and camo colors?

Second, what is the head option when you are in the select character menu? Do you get attachments for Big Boss to wear or something?

J-Skee

Anyone who claims they were able to figure this out on their own, I don't believe them. The process needed to arrive at the conclusion is just too unintuitive. Anyone who describes their process as to how they figured it out is lying and using 20/20 hindsight and I still don't believe them. =P

Go into your soldiers menu and quarantine anyone who speaks Kikongo (sp?)

Okay, you're gonna think I'm lying, but I figured it out, albeit with some hard thinking.
All I did was figure what the common thing was between all the soldiers. There's a reason this specific group of people are in quarantine, so what is it? The stuff they had the most in common were that they spoken most of the same languages. I actually thought it was a combination of languages, like English, Russian & Afrikaans, but one of them didn't speak Russian. Once I figured out it was Kikongo, it was smooth sailing from there.

And Mission 30 spoilers:
I still don't know what the hell eradicating every language other than English does for Skullface. I can't believe that was his goal.

Kid Ska

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
I like to knock out bases in side ops, Fulton the high ranks, and execute everyone else with my bolt action sniper.

(I know, I'm probably a bad person.)
I do the same thing. How could you let a damn E ranker just walk out consequence free.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
So a couple questions:

About outfits/costumes - do you guys actually try to match up camo for the specific mission? Do you just choose the stealth outfit? Also, are there any different looks other than stealth outfit, battle outfit, and camo colors?

Second, what is the head option when you are in the select character menu? Do you get attachments for Big Boss to wear or something?

I choose between stealth or battle suit depending on the mission. Camo is for aesthetic purposes but it can make a difference in stealth. Yes there are a few other bonus outfits:
MGS1 Snake, MGS1 Grey Fox, MGR Raiden

The head option is for bandana. Regular bandana lessens your injuries. The true legendary bandana does something you should be able to guess.

So a couple questions:

The camo index is just hidden in this game but still works.
Though the problem is the sneaking suit is the only thing that makes you silent, the other things are just loud as hell.
Plus lying down pretty much makes you invisible if you don't move.
I think after about 25 episodes I stopped using camo.
The head thing is just for things to wear on BB's head, research stuff.

Spinluck

You already have S ranked soldiers at mission 24 ?

I must be doing something wrong then, I didn't come across a single one. A++ is all I ever got.

Yup, I had 5.

I've been taking my time with the game though. Play about 2-3 story missions a day and spend the rest of the time grinding and optimizing my MB & FOB.

sora87

Mission 3
1, don't really fancy getting it down to 20% health again after that auto-aim shit, talk about a bullet sponge

Okay, you're gonna think I'm lying, but I figured it out, albeit with some hard thinking.
All I did was figure what the common thing was between all the soldiers. There's a reason this specific group of people are in quarantine, so what is it? The stuff they had the most in common were that they spoken most of the same languages. I actually thought it was a combination of languages, like English, Russian & Afrikaans, but one of them didn't speak Russian. Once I figured out it was Kikongo, it was smooth sailing from there.

And Mission 30 spoilers:
I still don't know what the hell eradicating every language other than English does for Skullface. I can't believe that was his goal.

Umm, his mission was actually the complete opposite.

You can skip any Rose conversation with two presses of triangle. You cannot skip fucking Ocelot or Miller talking.

BOSS. BOSS. BOSS. BOSS. BOSS. BOSS. BOSS.

I can at least shoot Ocelot occasionally, and even the game seems to realize what an asshole Miller is. Also at one point you learn how to stop caring and learn to love the "You're gonna extract him TOO"

Sub Zero

his body's cold as ice, but he's got a heart of gold
So a couple questions:

Stealth outfit is only good for night infiltration, you'll get spotted easier if you wear it during the day, so it's better to use the appropriate camos depending on the terrain you're on. There are a couple of other outfits like Raiden, MGS1 Snake and Gray Fox, and two other suits that you unlock near the end of the game

Head option includes two bandanas for Big Boss that you unlock near the end of the game and two balaclavas only usable by your recruited soldiers

atomico

So a couple questions:

Red arm and Ocelot Unit uniform + scarf every time.

So a couple questions:

If you select a Combat Unit soldier, you can equip a balaclava. Nothing for Big Boss, so far, but I'm maybe halfway through the game.

Sub_Level

And Mission 30 spoilers:

He wanted to eradicate English actually with an English parasite. 2 were in vials, the remaining one is a spoiler. He is angry about English colonialism having played a role in destroying his town as a kid. It also plays along with what happened to Code Talker's village as a kid. 'English itself is a parasite.'

Stealth outfit is only good for night infiltration, you'll get spotted easier if you wear it during the day, so it's better to use the appropriate camos depending on the terrain you're on. There are a couple of other outfits like Raiden, MGS1 Snake and Gray Fox, and two other suits that you unlock near the end of the game

Head option includes two bandanas for Big Boss that you unlock near the end of the game and two balaclavas only usable by your recruited soldiers

3 balaclavas. 2 for the battle dress and a third one for the sneaking suit.

54 hours played, and I'm going to start Mission 23 once I finish my homework. This is easily going to be my most played game in the last few years lol

A-V-B

The story is kinda garbage the more I think about it. Kojima can't commit to a single powerful thread to save his life. Skull Face, Eli... it's all wasted as soon as any of it becomes involving. I expect the ending to off-handedly brush away Big Boss himself at this rate and just put up a CONGRATULATIONS YOU WIN text box.

Sub_Level

Just got the
get the burning man body
side op about how much more do I have to go before the end?

You are very close. Maybe 2-3 hours left. Just keep doing those yellow missions and yellow side ops. And do a side op or 2 when you have exhausted those.

neoism

Oh shit didn't even think about that let's see!

Well it had a couple day old save but better than nothing I guess. Thanks a ton lol.

it may take a while to get in the habit im sure there is a option to make it do it everyday also but i always manually upload my save after every play session.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
Just got the
get the burning man body
side op about how much more do I have to go before the end?
3 hours more I take it

Just one question before you proceed
How strongly do you feel about Quiet as a buddy?
The End? That was two numerical Metal Gears ago.

Thank you, thank you, I'll be here all week.

giphy.gif

Yes, you can easily farm money on the motherbase target practice ones.

About that, there's this one target pratice that I can't seem to be able to finish, I think it's on the base development platform. I hit 34 target but I for the life of me can't find the last one. I tried like five times running around the platform to find the last one.

Anyone else who's beaten the game having trouble going back to it? I like the gameplay loop but something about it also makes it feel like a chore. Knowing there's never going to be anything worth working towards hurts the urge to 100% it too.

I'm starting to feel the freedom is actually not that free either. Of course there are other ways to go about doing things but it feels like the tranq method always is the best. Most of the gadgets or methods you can mess around with put the enemies into a low level alert and I end up going back to the tranq pistol. Freedom is nice, but I'm feeling funneled into a playstyle to get the best results.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Sorry, got a question about MGS stuff, a more general question about Zero's role in the narrative. I'm possibly all wrong, but as I understand it he was in charge of the mission to kill The Boss and turned out to be working for the Patriots (which is a surrogate for the Illuminati possibly?), and everybody in this series seems to fear them and want their power neutralized, right? I can only remember Solidus being controlled by them but are they the force that kind of bring everyone together against them (Foxhound, Snake, etc)? Can you tell I played the games but didn't really focus on the story too hard? Ha.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Goddamn, these later story missions. They're downright brutal in a good way.

About that, there's this one target pratice that I can't seem to be able to finish, I think it's on the base development platform. I hit 34 target but I for the life of me can't find the last one. I tried like five times running around the platform to find the last one.

It's probably the one behind the steel beams right across the start, you usually can't see it from the platform if you're not looking for it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6-rU1Eoa8o

hamchan

Anyone else who's beaten the game having trouble going back to it? I like the gameplay loop but something about it also makes it feel like a chore. Knowing there's never going to be anything worth working towards hurts the urge to 100% it too.

I'm starting to feel the freedom is actually not that free either. Of course there are other ways to go about doing things but it feels like the tranq method always is the best. Most of the gadgets or methods you can mess around with put the enemies into a low level alert and I end up going back to the tranq pistol. Freedom is nice, but I'm feeling funneled into a playstyle to get the best results.

I've been finding that going full Rambo is as legitimate a method as pure stealth. Either way you get an S rank if you're fast enough.

Top Bottom