• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain |OT2| A Franchise Robbed Of Its Future

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Mission 49 is so satisfying to get right.

People say the older games were like puzzles you had to solve but that is exactly the same way I look at this game too when it comes to the more difficult sneaking parts.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Is MGSV the most divisive game of the gen so far?

Nah, its a Metal Gear game, it was always going to be one of those where some people complain loudly about it, and it'll win GOTY here anyway.

Funniest part for me is the people minimizing how good the gameplay is, in order to moan about the story, like previous Metal Gears were frickin' Shakespeare or something! I'm honestly not sure what they were expecting, seems like the same mixture of philosophical rumination, anime soap-opera, and daft over-plotting as usual.

Having put 116 hours in -and still far from done- I'd argue its as "Metal Gear" as it gets, and easily the best playing game in the series.

Muffdraul

I figured it out. Took me a bit (15ish minutes) but the tapes plus the only similarity between the initial group pointed me towards the answer. This is given that I had no idea it was the right answer at the time. I ended up doing the missions to discover the answer and figured out I had guessed it right when the cutscene told me.

Guessing right is not what I'm talking about. I'm talking about people who were 100% sure they had solved the riddle and successfully quarantined every single infected.

EDIT: Wait, so did you quarantine everyone or not?

Khronico

I have people notice Fultons all the fucking time.

I have no idea what game you guys are playing.

Same here, I think it has to do with their location (nearly every time someone in my game spots a fulton they are within 40 meters of the person being fultoned).

I've also had them notice them while indoors which is odd. Sound maybe?

Guessing right is not what I'm talking about. I'm talking about people who were 100% sure they had solved the riddle and successfully quarantined every single infected.

You do what you think is right, and then you get a radio message saying how cases have dropped dramatically. It's the game telling you that you did it right. Picking the best course of action is not the same as just guessing.

Liamc723

Nah, its a Metal Gear game, it was always going to be one of those where some people complain loudly about it, and it'll win GOTY here anyway.

Funniest part for me is the people minimizing how good the gameplay is, in order to moan about the story, like previous Metal Gears were frickin' Shakespeare or something! I'm honestly not sure what they were expecting, seems like the same mixture of philosophical rumination, anime soap-opera, and daft over-plotting as usual.

Having put 116 hours in -and still far from done- I'd argue its as "Metal Gear" as it gets, and easily the best playing game in the series.

The majority of people play Metal Gear Solid for the story, not the gameplay. And that is why the game is very disappointing, because there isn't much story here. Simple as that.

That's the thing for me, the gameplay isn't SOOOOOO head and shoulders above everything else that's ever existed for me to overlook the game's flaws. The gameplay is good. but it's within the realm of what I've come to expect of a triple-A open world title in 2015.

Sassen

Anyone who claims they were able to figure this out on their own, I don't believe them. The process needed to arrive at the conclusion is just too unintuitive. Anyone who describes their process as to how they figured it out is lying and using 20/20 hindsight and I still don't believe them. =P

Go into your soldiers menu and quarantine anyone who speaks Kikongo (sp?)

I figured it out, Miller even comments when you quarantine all the right people. I wasn't 100% sure though, I just went with the only thing they all had in common.

Victrix

*beard*
It also doesn't help that if you're already burnt out on (or even just very familiar with) current open world games, you're not going to be quite as stunned with what's on display here. Far Cry, AC, etc.

The majority of people play Metal Gear Solid for the story, not the gameplay. And that is why the game is very disappointing, because there isn't much story here. Simple as that.
What. I seriously doubt that. Story has always been a huge part of the series but kojima productions have absolutely nailed interesting and fun gameplay mechanics for 15 years.

Vaga

-Uhh, CP. Saw a cardboard box moving by itself. How should I proceed?
-This is CP, knock it off. Out.
-But...the box...

I think it's fairly random. I've had some people notice and others don't.
Same. Sometimes I can fulton just feet from a guard and other times it'll be a random guard 30 yards way with his back turned only to turn around and freak out, calling CP to let em know a balloon snatched somebody. Haven't managed to find a common thread to it so it feels very random.

Liamc723

What. I seriously doubt that. Story has always been a huge part of the series but kojima productions have absolutely nailed interesting and fun gameplay mechanics for 15 years.

The story has always been the big thing in the Metal Gear series. The story IS Metal Gear, that's what people always talk about. The series is known for its story, not its gameplay.

The story has always been the big thing in the Metal Gear series. The story IS Metal Gear, that's what people always talk about. The series is known for its story, not its gameplay.

You think this game sold 3 million because people were clamoring for a continuation of MGS4 and peace walker's stories? Kojima hasn't told a good story in 11 years, "the majority" of people are playing because the gameplay is incredible.

The series is known for its story, not its gameplay.
I come for the gameplay first and foremost. And I stay for the batshit melodramatic storylines.

So far this one looks to be the first MGS to keep me fully satisfied on gameplay alone. Story is an extra, provided I'm not wincing the whole way through, or maybe because of it. I'm conflicted.

Ferrio

Banned
Anyway to redo your buddy's loadout besides going back to the chopper? Calling in a new buddy doesn't let you change their gear.

Speak for yourself. I love MGS because of the gameplay. The story has always been nonsense for me outside of MGS3.

Edit: I consider the series to have some pretty fantastic gameplay.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster

There's plenty of story here, its just laid out in a less-linear fashion due to the requirements of the gameplay. Much like the "not many cut-scenes" argument, it just doesn't hold up to real scrutiny.

Again, I have to ask, how much story were you expecting when you know where this game fits within the overall time-line of the saga?

Mister Negative said:
That's the thing for me, the gameplay isn't SOOOOOO head and shoulders above everything else that's ever existed for me to overlook the game's flaws. The gameplay is good. but it's within the realm of what I've come to expect of a triple-A open world title in 2015.

What can I say except... experiment more. Use some imagination.

A sandbox is just hole in the ground filled with dirt if you want to look at it reductively... but apply a bit of imagination and all kinds of fun stuff is possible.

At the end of the day, I just feel like I'm playing any old open world games.

And you might say to me oh but you can do THIS and THIS and THIS and it's so cool!

but other games do cool stuff too. this game doesn't do anything differently enough to really blow me away, and it doesn't really have the story to draw me in. It's a good game, but nothing mindblowing.

And: (post chapter 1 spoilers!)

Kojima had the gall to go back and nanomachine-ize mgs3! he did it! he fucking did it! oh, everyone in the cobra unit just had weird parasites. that's all. AHHHHHHHHHH.

At the end of the day, I just feel like I'm playing any old open world games.

And you might say to me oh but you can do THIS and THIS and THIS and it's so cool!

but other games do cool stuff too. this game doesn't do anything differently enough to really blow me away, and it doesn't really have the story to draw me in. It's a good game, but nothing mindblowing.

And: (post chapter 1 spoilers!)

Kojima had the gall to go back and nanomachine-ize mgs3! he did it! he fucking did it! oh, everyone in the cobra unit just had weird parasites. that's all. AHHHHHHHHHH.

There isn't a single open world game I've played, aside from maybe Dragon's Dogma, whose mechanics I respect as much as MGSV. So I can't really agree with that.

Anyone who claims they were able to figure this out on their own, I don't believe them. The process needed to arrive at the conclusion is just too unintuitive. Anyone who describes their process as to how they figured it out is lying and using 20/20 hindsight and I still don't believe them. =P

Go into your soldiers menu and quarantine anyone who speaks Kikongo (sp?)

There's barely any info you're given on your soldiers besides what languages they speak! At first I thought it was anyone who spoke both that and russian, until someone turned up sick who didn't speak russian. I also thought/hoped it might be limited to the base development unit but it appeared in others.

Someone mentioned that there is a special cut scene if you don't shower for a certain amount of time. Does anyone know how it's calculated? Is it by mission, do side missions count? In game days, real life days?

I haven't showered since Sunday real time, have avoided the rain, have done a bunch of main and side missions and Snake is looking filthy as fuck, yet no damn cut scene.

If you do know, please don't tell me what the scene is, otherwise I may as well just watch it.

Edzi

Eh, I think it's more accurate to say that most people enjoy MGS for the whole package it offered. The issue that I think a lot of people are having here is that this game no longer offers that complete package we're accustomed to, it just focused on one aspect of it (gameplay) and did really well there, while ignoring the other stuff we loved so much about the series. It's why so many people are saying that it's a good game, just not a particularly good MGS game and a disappointment from that perspective.

Though I do think some people are seriously downplaying just how important the zany story is to a good chunk of the fanbase. The series really is/was known for that.

Alienous

There isn't a single open world game I've played, aside from maybe Dragon's Dogma, whose mechanics I respect as much as MGSV. So I can't really agree with that.

Far Cry is pretty good. 2, but The Phantom Pain owes a lot to 3 and 4 in particular in the way it handles its open world. And those games have a solid set of gameplay tools too.

I'd rank The Phantom Pain as better, but at a comparable level.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey

This is where I'm at.

I love the MGS games for both the gameplay and the story, which they've always been able to provide. Most of what MGSV does is a huge evolutionary step of the concepts they've chased over all the years, but the reality is, most of what it does are things open world games have done in years previous. There's an undeniable KojiPro touch to it all which gives everything a small edge, but when you boil down to it, it's not exactly revolutionary.

The fact that I'm still playing at 100 hours is a testament to how much that extra KojiPro detail helps, since I've mostly sworn off of open world games. But the entire time I played, I had hoped for more story to be around the corner. I wanted that goofy melodrama, I wanted stronger characters that I could spend time with. I wanted senseless conversations about weird things, which the (chapter 2 spoilers)
Hamburgers of Kazuhira Miller
tapes gave me. The writing hasn't been the greatest for a few games in the series, but that doesn't stop me from wanting more. The (Mission 30 spoilers)
ride to snuffaluffagus in the back seat with Skull Face was the only real time where SF was allowed to stretch his villain wings. He also had an excellent tape with Code Talker, which I so wanted to see as a cutscene. He's a fun villain but he's barely allowed to be!

There were going to be sacrifices needed in order to make the formula work perfectly in an open world setting, but for me there were too many sacrifices made at the expense of story and characters. That's why I find myself having fun with the game part of Phantom Pain, but am ultimately disappointed that this is the sendoff the series gets.

Had to abort Mission 16 twice before finally completing it. Still wound up with an A rank. As they say: Third times the charm

1st abort was when I took forever to reach the airport and the truck was long gone. 2nd time was when I was spotted by a sniper and had to pursue the truck on foot and in a vehicle before one of the tanks killed me >.<. I'm really thankful I killed the truck driver since it triggered the Skulls and I was able to use the two tanks to eliminate them :D

Maybe it's just how much I knew about the game before going into it. There were no surprises left for me because I saw all the stuff they showed prerelease, and there was very little beyond that.

And I'm not going to sit here and pretend to be an imaginative player. For me, there's a binary choice between sneaking and shooting.

There are times where I'll sneak around behind five guys who have turned around for some reason to get a prisoner out of a tent, and literally go in and out through the back door of the tent they're standing outside of with the prisoner.

I feel like my thought process should be "man that was some badass sneaking I just did" but it was really just "well thank god I didn't have to deal with that shit."

This is where I'm at.

I love the MGS games for both the gameplay and the story, which they've always been able to provide. Most of what MGSV does is a huge evolutionary step of the concepts they've chased over all the years, but the reality is, most of what it does are things open world games have done in years previous. There's an undeniable KojiPro touch to it all which gives everything a small edge, but when you boil down to it, it's not exactly revolutionary.

The fact that I'm still playing at 100 hours is a testament to how much that extra KojiPro detail helps, since I've mostly sworn off of open world games. But the entire time I played, I had hoped for more story to be around the corner. I wanted that goofy melodrama, I wanted stronger characters that I could spend time with. I wanted senseless conversations about weird things, which the (chapter 2 spoilers)
Hamburgers of Kazuhira Miller
tapes gave me. The writing hasn't been the greatest for a few games in the series, but that doesn't stop me from wanting more. The (Mission 30 spoilers)
ride to snuffaluffagus in the back seat with Skull Face was the only real time where SF was allowed to stretch his villain wings. He also had an excellent tape with Code Talker, which I so wanted to see as a cutscene. He's a fun villain but he's barely allowed to be!

There were going to be sacrifices needed in order to make the formula work perfectly in an open world setting, but for me there were too many sacrifices made at the expense of story and characters. That's why I find myself having fun with the game part of Phantom Pain, but am ultimately disappointed that this is the sendoff the series gets.

This is a good-ass post that I find myself in 100% agreement with. Mission 30 spoilers:

Agree about the ride to Sahelanthropus. that was the first time I really felt like i was playing a metal gear game aside from the intro. I feel like the song should have been put somewhere else, but I really don't know where else it could have gone. That whole scene should have been so much better. Skull Face was finally getting the stage, but I couldn't help but look at Big Boss and just...watch him look disinterested. He's just doing some boring idle animation the whole time and it sucks. Just kind of looking around. And then the song starts and they're both just sitting there.

I'd like to compare it to the ladder in MGS3, but it's so, so different. The ladder builds off of tension, anticipation of what's next. With the ride to Sahel you kind of know what's coming, and it's not very exciting. you haven't been made to CARE very much.

Far Cry is pretty good. 2, but The Phantom Pain owes a lot to 3 and 4 in particular in the way it handles its open world. And those games have a solid set of gameplay tools too.

I'd rank The Phantom Pain as better, but at a comparable level.

I definitely agree with respect to 2 and 3. And that's a large reason for why I love those two games.

Reedirect

So yeah, the Chapter 2 ending is disappointing as hell. Overall a great final chapter for MGS, but I can't see myself ever replaying it. Lots of poorly designed missions and the second part of the game being a complete mess will probably keep me from it. As an open world stealth game though, it is damn near perfect.

Someone mentioned that there is a special cut scene if you don't shower for a certain amount of time. Does anyone know how it's calculated? Is it by mission, do side missions count? In game days, real life days?

I haven't showered since Sunday real time, have avoided the rain, have done a bunch of main and side missions and Snake is looking filthy as fuck, yet no damn cut scene.

If you do know, please don't tell me what the scene is, otherwise I may as well just watch it.

Just a hunch but try hiding in dumpsters, toilets and crawling in horse poop. I haven't tried myself, take one for the team.

Phionoxx

I keep seeing a Materials Processing pop up show in other peoples playthrough but I have not seen it a single time. Anyone know what gives?

Same here. I seek to recall seeing it pop up sporadically when I first started playing, but since the beginning few episodes it has all but disappeared. Maybe it's a glitch? No idea how widespread it is. I'm playing on PS4 and I can tell that the unprocessed materials are getting converted into usuabke materials over time but don't get an on screen notification about it.

Just a hunch but try hiding in dumpsters, toilets and crawling in horse poop. I haven't tried myself, take one for the team.

Good call on the dumpsters and toilets. I did try crawling through poop, ridiculous as it seems, didn't do a thing.

On the topic of poop, what's the point of having your horse take a dump? Seems pretty pointless.

Jarrod38

I really hope we get a patch for the Xbox One version soon. There are times where it can be unplayable and makes me not want to play the game anymore.

[HP]

As a hardcore fan of the series this 1998, this is NOT true. MGS, more than any franchise in the world, both gameplay and story go hand in hand.

Is MGSV the most divisive game of the gen so far?

Maybe. I mean the trailer cuts from this game made it seem more story focused, which is the staple of the series if you ignore the spinoffs like Peace Walker, but it doesn't seem that's what we really got. Then there's the lack of interesting boss fights and the repetitiveness of the game play.

Looking back at MGS4 I'd say there were definitely some things wrongs there, but it still had the classic MGS DNA. I think the reviewers seem to get caught up in the hype a little too much. I'm not discounting that they had great experiences playing the games, but MGSV a 10? MGSIV a 10? Get out of here.

Top Bottom