• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain |OT2| A Franchise Robbed Of Its Future

Afrodium

Banned
I thought I was good at this game but it turns out I was just early. I'm in the low 20s now and every mission ends with me just murdering everyone.

The objectives of 95% of all missions is to either kill someone, extract someone or blow something up. It gets boring and repetitive quickly.
Its a stealth action game and you're being super reductive. What is it that you expect to do? Whats missing, gameplay wise, that goes beyond the very general categories you listed?

Afrodium

Banned
Missions are varied!? Please tell me that is a joke.

The objectives of 95% of all missions is to either kill someone, extract someone or blow something up. It gets boring and repetitive quickly.

Objectives are just McGuffins to give some purpose to the gameplay. Yeah, the objectives aren't varied, but it doesn't really matter. The basic format of a stealth game is to get from point A to B without getting seen, so "kill/extract/blow up" is just a way to give some destination for the player. The missions are defined by the level design, not the objectives.

I just got the
happy birthday
cutscene !

What a nice surprise, I wish more games would do stuff like this. Even Quiet had a special attention for me, I wonder if it's because my bond with her is the highest of all my buddies.

Missions are varied!? Please tell me that is a joke.

What's your damage man? I understand mgs v isn't what you wanted but why do you insist on forcing that on others who enjoy it? Personally, I think the missions are all sandboxes for experimentation, that's why is think the game is fantastic.

eso76

Mission 16.
After reading all the comments I was scared I would hit some difficulty spike that would make me quit or something and went in armed to the teeth.

It was... a very easy A on my first try ?

I just
surprised the convoy from afar, top of a small mountain, Rocketed the tanks (guards got "suspicious they might be under attack"...) Got closer, triggered the skulls. Had Quiet shoot them from her position (not doing much actually) waited for them to get away from the truck I intended to steal and drive the fuck away. Instead i saw the skulls were far and just looking elsewhere by then and I just fultoned the truck and slowly walked to the choppa.

Also, Quiet is legit.
The way she pops soldiers' helmets to offer me a clean slow motion headshot is fantastic.

Xemnas89

So I'm currently on mission 16 and I'm wondering
is there something you have to do to make the transport truck appear? The first time It showed up but I didn't catch up to it in time but I've tried two times since with each attempt lasting about thirty minutes and the truck didn't even show up at all.

Objectives are just McGuffins to give some purpose to the gameplay. Yeah, the objectives aren't varied, but it doesn't really matter. The basic format of a stealth game is to get from point A to B without getting seen, so "kill/extract/blow up" is just a way to give some destination for the player. The missions are defined by the level design, not the objectives.

And the level design isn't all that wonderful either. There are a few major differences, like the
mine in Africa
but otherwise everything is just small guard post into larger base.

In any case, I finally finished Chapter 1 today and played a very small portion of Chapter 2. My thoughts:

The story absolutely picks up at the end. It finally starts to get interesting. In realizing this, it seems like the story is really badly paced. I was getting bored of the gameplay by this point, so I just handled the last few missions guns blazing, and it was fine. Mission 29 went particularly well for me since I knew what was coming and just used D-Walker plus some launchers to get the job done. The Sahel fight wasn't too bad, I used D-walker to get through that as well.

I'm also a little peeved that they've basically ignored everything we learned about Quiet so far? Like, we're basically told the reasons for the way she is. But I'm floored that nobody on mother base has actually figured it out, or at least said "oh that's why quiet is like that. okay. I guess the rest of that will come as I complete chapter 2, but man, it's a little slow.

Also, really enjoyed the small change to what we've seen in trailers with eli in the helicopter. we're lead to believe that it's liquid and solid, but in reality it was just some crazy child psycho mantis stuff.

Muffdraul

It's the missions that keep you going. Once those stop rolling and you have to grind random shit to finish the game, that's where the burnout really sets in. I'm feeling it right now.

It's literally Kojima's fault :p

Baker came in and did a really good Zimmerman impression. Then at some point, Kojima told Baker to stop doing an impression and just do his Joel voice. And that was that.

Actually I think it was Zimmerman's wife Kris. Maybe she was getting creeped out by Baker impersonating her husband. o_O

Around mission 35 minor spoilers.
Man, they sure as shit milk things now. 5 or more missions to go to the same areas and pick up the escaped kids? Shesh.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Without spoiling (trying to avoid thread as much as possible), which missions should I be aware of (with crashes/game corruptions etc)? Give me all the details without spoilers please.

Is MGSV the most divisive game of the gen so far?

I wouldn't say it's that divisive. When you think most divisive you think one half calling it shit, the other calling it god's gift to man.

From my perspective, the debate on MGSV is one side thinking it's god's gift to man, and the other side just thinking that it...isn't. I don't think it's a bad game, I just think there's a lot of stuff getting thrown around about it that I simply don't agree with. I mean, there are people calling it the greatest open world game of all time, and for my money it's not even the best open world game released this year. It's a good game, it's a fun game, but it doesn't do much that blows me away. It has a lot of gameplay things that make you go "whoa!" upon first viewing, but none of that wonder really goes beyond the surface to me.

I think it comes down to what impresses you about a game.

Many games continue to blow me away up until I finish them and put the controller down. MGSV blew me away for an hour or two, then I kind of settled into its pattern and it didn't do much to impress me after that.

ezekial45

Banned
Mission 24 Spoilers: How do I tell who has the
epidemic
?

You'll get to that eventually.
Sometime before mission 27, iirc. They'll soon build a quarantine platform that will keep all the infected there, while you have to sort through your troops and send those who pose a risk to further outbreak. They have one thing in common, if you've been paying attention to the plot.

Muffdraul

Mission 24 Spoilers: How do I tell who has the
epidemic
?

Anyone who claims they were able to figure this out on their own, I don't believe them. The process needed to arrive at the conclusion is just too unintuitive. Anyone who describes their process as to how they figured it out is lying and using 20/20 hindsight and I still don't believe them. =P

Go into your soldiers menu and quarantine anyone who speaks Kikongo (sp?)

My buddy said that their was a notice when he started up not to use Quiet for Missions 29 and 42. Anyone know what this is about?

There is some sort of gamebreaking bug that locks progression if you finish those missions with quiet as your buddy, but this is only a chance occurrence, I had no problems.

ZeroX03

Banned
Don't forget you can climb on top of a container and fulton yourself home. Such a fun way to quickly extract yourself from missions.

Is MGSV the most divisive game of the gen so far?

Most of the spoiler thread seems to be in agreement. Gameplay is great, story falls flats.

Anyone who claims they were able to figure this out on their own, I don't believe them. The process needed to arrive at the conclusion is just too unintuitive. Anyone who describes their process as to how they figured it out is lying and using 20/20 hindsight and I still don't believe them. =P

I figured it out, and I'm not some master detective. They give you cassettes with hints how to go about it (find similarities), and they all had a language in common.

Aselith

Is there an upkeep cost for Mother Base soldiers?

I dunno what to do with the lousy dozen E/C/D/B volunteers I get every 10 minutes, plus I got tired of dismissing them. So I just let them go on the Security detail (I've been playing mostly offline, anyway), but I wanna know if I'm wasting money in the process

Hold the selection button and move up the list and it will select everyone. Easy way to empty the waiting room.

My own intuitions were CLOSE, but I eventually just looked it up to get the right answer.

At first I thought it was a combination of languages, and the initial quarantinees for me ALL spoke English, Russian, Afrikaans, and Kikongo. I figured that couldn't POSSIBLY be it because that was just too specific a thing, and it made no sense. So I looked it up.

I figured it out. Took me a bit (15ish minutes) but the tapes plus the only similarity between the initial group pointed me towards the answer. This is given that I had no idea it was the right answer at the time. I ended up doing the missions to discover the answer and figured out I had guessed it right when the cutscene told me.

Just saw a tip on the loading screen that said you can break wooden crates by kicking them.

I've been playing for 30 hours and didn't even notice any crates, are there materials or ammo inside those ?

Condom

Man, open world gameplay is so different from the usual MGS experience but it definitely still is MGS.

It really seems like the team took a lot from western games when it comes to making the game so that's nice.

Top Bottom