• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain |OT2| A Franchise Robbed Of Its Future

Sorry, got a question about MGS stuff, a more general question about Zero's role in the narrative. I'm possibly all wrong, but as I understand it he was in charge of the mission to kill The Boss and turned out to be working for the Patriots (which is a surrogate for the Illuminati possibly?), and everybody in this series seems to fear them and want their power neutralized, right? I can only remember Solidus being controlled by them but are they the force that kind of bring everyone together against them (Foxhound, Snake, etc)? Can you tell I played the games but didn't really focus on the story too hard? Ha.

No, the Patriots didn't exist in MGS3.

Zero was not in the know about the real purpose for Operation Snake Eater, which was to obtain a micro-film that showed the locations of thousands of bank accounts that held a vast amount of wealth that global powers created at the end of World War I.

Vulgan launched that nuke at the end of the Virtuous Mission and sent the world into a nuclear crisis due to the fact it was a US nuke that was delivered by The Boss, that nuke going off in the middle of Russia on a research facility was never part of the plan, and due to that the CIA had to expand it's mission perimeter to getting the tape (which was The Boss's mission) and killing her to prevent a nuclear war and clear the US of all involvement.

sora87

So, mission 3
is the first one I've just straight up given up, far too hard. Do they get even more harder after this? If so I might as well just quit the game.

Griss

Every single time I've come up against the skulls I've been utterly unable to beat them without massive luck and 50 attempts. I can't stand them, they're no fun at all. Does anyone have any advice at all for
Traitor's Caravan on hard? I try rockets, D-Walker, sneaking, smoke grenades, everything. Once they're out of that truck, that's the end of me.

Edzi

Just got to mission 29, and I see what you guys mean. This sucks. Decided to finally use D-Walker for the first time for the firepower, but it keeps getting disabled by that mist.

EDIT: lol, piece of cake once I was careful to avoid the mist. D-Walkers gatling gun is really good.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
My favorite buddy.

jim-halpert-shock-reaction-listening.gif

You may wanna put a butterfly on your emblem

So, mission 3
is the first one I've just straight up given up, far too hard. Do they get even more harder after this? If so I might as well just quit the game.

It's not so hard
jump in a tank and hit the weak points, you can tanks lots of hits, once the metallic archea destroys your vehicles just use an lmg/assault rifle, while dodging the melee attacks.

Nuke Soda

Every single time I've come up against the skulls I've been utterly unable to beat them without massive luck and 50 attempts. I can't stand them, they're no fun at all. Does anyone have any advice at all for
Traitor's Caravan on hard? I try rockets, D-Walker, sneaking, smoke grenades, everything. Once they're out of that truck, that's the end of me.

I ran up, they popped out and I fultoned the truck with reflex on and ran for the helicopter I called in before the truck got near. Not going to get you an S rank, but still works.

shiba5

So, mission 3

I found a large rock formation farther down the valley (next to the road) and just did laps around it. Called in supply drops when I needed them. Made it pretty easy.
I just used a rocket launcher.

grimmiq

So I decided to take a little break from going for my S ranks (Everything up to Backup, Back Down
Extreme
done, and picked up Assassin's Creed Rogue and Unity for pretty cheap...Holy shit does the "stealth" in those games suck after playing this.

So, mission 3

I run all the way down
to the bottom of the slope, letting him follow me, down the very bottom is one of the missile tanks, if you wait for him down there and jump in the tank, drive it forward a bit up the slope, the tank's gun will be pretty much the right height to hit all the tanks on his back..usually takes me about 15seconds of shooting to take him from full HP to 1/3ish. Then when your chopper attacks him, switch to assault rifle and pop his missiles, after that it's just peek-a-boo with a missile launcher.

If you have access to quiet:
Equip shield, equip water pistol.
Tank all attacks (cept the pillar thing), while locking one of them down with the water pistol
Have quiet murder them with sinful butterfly.

If you don't have quiet:
Equip d-walker, equip gattling gun.
win.

Kama_1082

Banned
I found a large rock formation farther down the valley (next to the road) and just did laps around it. Called in supply drops when I needed them. Made it pretty easy.
I just used a rocket launcher.
When you're empty, supply drops are automatically called

I used D-Horse and ran around them firing rockets, worked out pretty well, hardly got hit.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Sorry, got a question about MGS stuff, a more general question about Zero's role in the narrative. I'm possibly all wrong, but as I understand it he was in charge of the mission to kill The Boss and turned out to be working for the Patriots (which is a surrogate for the Illuminati possibly?), and everybody in this series seems to fear them and want their power neutralized, right? I can only remember Solidus being controlled by them but are they the force that kind of bring everyone together against them (Foxhound, Snake, etc)? Can you tell I played the games but didn't really focus on the story too hard? Ha.

Yes I can tell lol

Here is a Major Zero breakdown

1964: As head of FOX, he commands Operation Snake Eater. He is tasked with having Snake kill the Boss but only because he is under direct orders from the CIA. They have to kill the Boss to prevent nuclear war with Russia. Snake finds out that the Boss actually had a mission to intentionally to defect to Russia but things went sour because of Volgin which is why he had to kill her. Zero has no real responsibility over her death and even mourned it.

1970: Zero closes down FOX. Ocelot obtains the Philosopher's Legacy and working together with Sigint, Paramedic, Eva, and Big Boss they form the Patriots. An ultra powerful group working behind the shadows to help control society and lead it to a better path. To carry on the Boss' will of world peace and order.

1972: Zero clones Big Boss. BB doesn't like this so he breaks off from the Patriots. Zero, as head of the Patriots (AKA Cipher) isn't a full blown enemy of Snake's but they're not exactly friends either.

1974: Zero sends Paz to infiltrate Snake's MSF army in Peace Walker. She is rooted out. He begins experimenting on AIs.

<What happens after 1974 is revealed in the Phantom Pain. At some point, also revealed in MGSV, Zero turns into a vegetable.>

2014: Big Boss pulls the plug on Zero's vegetable body. Even though they had their differences, they were essentially still friends to the end. The Patriots which are prevalent in MGS2 and MGS4 were run by AIs which mutated into something Zero did not intend. They carried on his will in the worst way possible: by propagating war.

Just got to mission 29, and I see what you guys mean. This sucks. Decided to finally use D-Walker for the first time for the firepower, but it keeps getting disabled by that mist.

Be sure to lure them away a bit before you jump into the D walker and shred them with the gattling gun, it takes like 10 seconds to kill them so the mist isn't a problem unless they are already around you.

sora87

It's not so hard
jump in a tank and hit the weak points, you can tanks lots of hits, once the metallic archea destroys your vehicles just use an lmg/assault rifle, while dodging the melee attacks.

No matter how much I run and dodge it still seems to hit me, then I'm running and have no time to heal or to attack it. The tanks were good but they got taken out far too quickly.

Kama_1082

Banned
It's not so hard
wtf? How do you use the tanks? I got in and it didn't do anything lol

No matter how much I run and dodge it still seems to hit me, then I'm running and have no time to heal or to attack it. The tanks were good but they got taken out far too quickly.

There's 3 types of melee, the first one summons pillars quickly, I've been able to dodge these by just moving slowely, the second one summons the pillars more slowly, and has limited range, just run away from it, the third one summons them all around you, just stay right in the middle and you won't get damaged.

ZeroX03

Banned
Anyone's command wheel sometimes drift in accuracy? Like I'll find myself have to press to the left of the stick to get it to select the up command (knock).

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Anyone's command wheel sometimes drift in accuracy? Like I'll find myself have to press to the left of the stick to get it to select the up command (knock).

Yes. I have no clue why. PC?

When he is winding up his sword attack is the time when you need to shoot him with the rocket launcher, they are easy to dodge and the ones that are not the straight line show up like little blue sparks around you to indicate where they will strike, just dive like crazy. For all his other attacks hide behind the rocks, be especially wary of his railgun attack since it kills in one hit.

sora87

There's 3 types of melee, the first one summons pillars quickly, I've been able to dodge these by just moving slowely, the second one summons the pillars more slowly, and has limited range, just run away from it, the third one summons them all around you, just stay right in the middle and you won't get damaged.

The main part that's getting me is when it's down to like 15-20% and starts basically jumping on your head and running you over, also that one-hit kill move you have to dodge (and even if you dodge kills you sometimes).
So annoying.

The main part that's getting me is when it's down to like 15-20% and starts basically jumping on your head and running you over, also that one-hit kill move you have to dodge (and even if you dodge kills you sometimes).
So annoying.

Oh, well
when it does that aim UP and shoot mantis in his dumb gasmask wearing face, this stops the jump and stuns him for easy weakpoint hits.

Oh man throwing a whole bunch of active decoys at once is pretty hilarious. Just listening to a bunch of Kiefer's saying "Kept you waiting, huh?" and "You're pretty good" all at once. What a delightful game.

Shauni

It's kinda funny that every major MGS since MGS2 has had backlash. This is such a weird series.

Did MGS3 have a lot of backlash? I don't feel like it did, outside maybe people who really loved MGS2 being disappointed in its lack of ambition or something like that, but I don't think that was a huge amount of people.

Don't dodge their melee attacks, you can CQC counter them and that will stun them for a bit, letting you unload into them

Did MGS3 have a lot of backlash? I don't feel like it did, outside maybe people who really loved MGS2 being disappointed in its lack of ambition or something like that, but I don't think that was a huge amount of people.

I think it was mostly well received. The biggest problem it had was the camera which was subsequently fixed in Subsistance.

Mupod

well I finally said fuck it and went online. I decided to support a bunch of PFs and it looks like almost everyone on PC uses a trainer, lol. I'm sure you all got those 200k of each resources totally legitimately.

But hey whatever, their invincible bases sure were easy to defend and I got a few million GMP for it. Felt slightly dirty using a rocket launcher, I honestly could have probably just sneaked up on those guys.

Anyways it seems like the massive horrid loadtimes caused by going online are mostly gone on PC but it's still worse than offline.

Also I'm almost out of fuel resources and really need to find a quick way to get a bunch next time I play. I'm almost done with the game now regardless and I think I'll be fine with my current equipment, but I want to be able to build some of the OP toys before I stop playing. Since I don't know if I'll ever have the energy to replay this one.

Regarding how they handled (spoiler about a missable character in the game)
____Paz_____
, they did such an amazing job. I was skeptical when I first heard they were in the game, but having gone through the whole arc, it was masterfully done. Keifer doesn't speak much (as usual), but his performance really sold the gravity and impact of it all, especially that final part.

J-Skee

Umm, his mission was actually the complete opposite.

He wanted to eradicate English actually with an English parasite. 2 were in vials, the remaining one is a spoiler. He is angry about English colonialism having played a role in destroying his town as a kid. It also plays along with what happened to Code Talker's village as a kid. 'English itself is a parasite.'

Damn, shows how much I was paying attention. That sort of makes sense, I guess?

Top Bottom