• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain |OT2| A Franchise Robbed Of Its Future

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Damn, shows how much I was paying attention. That sort of makes sense, I guess?

Well aside from it being one of the more prominent languages associated with colonialism, he also specifically chose English because he wants Zero to feel the same pain he did. Zero never had to lose his language because he's a native English speaker to begin with.

Not the best written character but they do show his motivations.

Ralemont

not me
Just finished 31. What an great Chapter 1, even if the MGS meme still applies: "I have no idea what's going on but it's awesome!"

Gvitor

I've heard so much about this that I need to see it. How is it triggered? I'm on mission 29.

I have no idea. I'm on mission 35, if that helps. It happens on MB though, so keep coming back to it whenever you can.

---

Quiet lategame question:

I've heard you have to change your emblem to a butterfly to keep her around... but I don't have it yet. How do I get it? Is there any other way to not lose her? When does it happen?

J-Skee

Okay, first things first, if you were complaining about cutscenes in this game, holy shit does Chapter 2 have a lot of them. And I have no idea if I'm meeting certain requirements to get them or if they're just supposed to happen. But specifically after I finished Mission 32,
that torture scene with Quiet. WTF?!

Well aside from it being one of the more prominent languages associated with colonialism, he also specifically chose English because he wants Zero to feel the same pain he did. Zero never had to lose his language because he's a native English speaker to begin with.

Not the best written character but they do show his motivations.

I can respect it. Nuttier things have happened in this series.

MY GOD THE RAIN SCENE

LMAO I can't tell if it's the best or the worst.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
How do I get better S rank staff or A++ staff consistently? I've beaten the game, now just doing S rank + objectives for platinum.

I've heard so much about this that I need to see it. How is it triggered? I'm on mission 29.

Max bond, and then return to Mother Base while it is raining.

I have no idea. I'm on mission 35, if that helps. It happens on MB though, so keep coming back to it whenever you can.

---

Quiet lategame question:

I've heard you have to change your emblem to a butterfly to keep her around... but I don't have it yet. How do I get it? Is there any other way to not lose her? When does it happen?

You get Butterfly by completing three missions with Quiet doing most of the tranqing/Killing. Do the White Mamba one, and set her to cover you. She will tranq everyone. Easy peasy.

I believe if you have max bond, Quiet's end arc triggers after completing Mission 43. Be sure to have the Emblem equipped before then.

Glass

Regarding how they handled (spoiler about a missable character in the game)
____Paz_____
, they did such an amazing job. I was skeptical when I first heard they were in the game, but having gone through the whole arc, it was masterfully done. Keifer doesn't speak much (as usual), but his performance really sold the gravity and impact of it all, especially that final part.

I'd be interested to hear peoples interpretations of it, although perhaps thats a discussion best left for the spoiler thread, though I havn't gone in there yet as I havn't completed the game yet and I'm guessing thats what most of the discussion in there is about.

Gvitor

You get Butterfly by completing three missions with Quiet doing most of the tranqing/Killing. Do the White Mamba one, and set her to cover you. She will tranq everyone. Easy peasy.

I believe if you have max bond, Quiet's end arc triggers after completing Mission 43. Be sure to have the Emblem equipped before then.

Thanks!

RDreamer

I can't believe that I still haven't ever been able to connect to the damned server. That's insane.

Is that going to affect whatever main mission uses the FOB stuff when I get to that?

Had my first crash just now, it froze as I was heading back to the chopper in Africa. Had to alt+f4 it. Not too bad I guess after fourty odd hours.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
LMAO I can't tell if it's the best or the worst.

Context/character moment wise - it's pretty good

Execution wise -
tumblr_lt9j74XRGA1qgn9d4o1_500.gif

I think I'm gonna have to just go ahead and buy the soundtrack, some amazing work in there. Including this gem, pure eighties goodness.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1HpdleCgeg
This is the part where I complain about the Quiet instrumental arrangements not being included.

Soulflarz

Banned
all I could feel was jealousy
of Quiet, how can I go on living knowing I'll never splash around in the rain with Big Boss?

I want to say something to this but I really shouldn't.

edit: all but surely legit spoilers, assuming endgame, pls no clicking
Why would you be jealous of her for that? Assuming my thing I've been shouting for two years is correct, theres nothing to be jealous of in that regard?

Uh. Chapter 2, Pre Mission 45 spoilers.

I thought I didnt have to do the Subsistence/Extreme missions? I currently am all caught up with Side Ops. There are no new ones for me to do. Should I just repeat a few?

Edzi

Done that, didn't work. I'm assuming it has to be after ch.1?

It's interesting to see how many people (Mission 16)
run from the skulls or prepare a loadout specifically for that fight. I didn't know they were coming so I killed all the skulls with nothing but a revolver, quiet, frags, and some leftover c4 in a wide open field full of rocks for cover. It was tense as fuck and very challenging.
crazy fun though. :p

Conezays

So have glanced a few things in this thread regarding "true endings," etc. Can anyone help me out here?

Mid to late game spoilers in Chapter
2, Mission 40-41

I have Mission 41 open, along with Mission 40 which is to kill Quiet. Can I just progress through the main and side missions without "missing" anything? I have max bond with Quiet at the moment.

If someone could answer without spoiling the details that would be much appreciated.

Finalow

honestly this is starting to become a phatom bore. I do think that the gameplay is really really good, you have a lot of options and there are some really nice ideas like buddies. however missions are getting repetitive, especially the never ending side ops, and that "oh I've already seen this place" feeling because in the whole game there are only 2 big maps doesn't help either.
you also repeat the same shit in the mother base since the start of the game. grinding materials, expand, manage staff, dismiss staff, wait 20 minutes for the chopper to arrive and depart, blue screens random cutscene blue screens etc. - after 40+ hours, no, it doesn't get more interesting or fun.

I'm at mission 38 or so, not sure if the last 12 missions are going to change much but I'm not getting my hopes up.

Mupod

It's interesting to see how many people (Mission 16)
run from the skulls or prepare a loadout specifically for that fight. I didn't know they were coming so I killed all the skulls with nothing but a revolver, quiet, and some leftover c4 in a wide open field full of rocks for cover. It was tense as fuck and very challenging.
crazy fun though. :p

I didn't have anything
lethal at all researched so I just fulton'd the truck and got the hell out. But after that mission I started putting resources into LMGs and rockets which came in handy later on.

raphanum

Just a quick tip: some recruits will have 'Troublemaker' as their speciality who can constantly cause fights and send other recruits to the sickbay. This may affect your unit level, too. So, if the troublemaker in question has great stats and you absolutely don't want to dismiss him/her, then assign a recruit with the 'Diplomat' speciality into the same unit.

burgerdog

Is there a point in the game in which you start to see a lot more cutscenes? I'm currently on mission 23 and wishing there was more crazy shit going on story wise.

Just a quick tip: some recruits will have 'Troublemaker' as their speciality who can constantly cause fights and send other recruits to the sickbay. This may affect your unit level, too. So, if the troublemaker in question has great stats and you absolutely don't want to dismiss him/her, then assign a recruit with the 'Diplomat' speciality into the same unit.

Actually, just assign another troublemaker to the unit, cancels it out completely.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
I'm liking Africa a lot more than Aghanistan so far. I'm through 15 episodes and 32 side ops. Closing in on 40 hours.

It took me a long while to really get into the game, but it's really got its hooks in me now. I won't be able to play again until Sunday at the earliest though due to a trip.

Does anyone else have a lot of problems with taking down helicopters? I usually equip the bee or the one that shoots multiple tracking missiles, but it seems to be random whether the helicopter will crash down after one missile or 5. It's really annoying. Maybe I'm doing something wrong.

Sifl

Does anyone else have a lot of problems with taking down helicopters? I usually equip the bee or the one that shoots multiple tracking missiles, but it seems to be random whether the helicopter will crash down after one missile or 5. It's really annoying. Maybe I'm doing something wrong.
I don't think I've ever needed more then 1 rocket to take a helicopter down. I've never used a tracking one tho, only free fire ones.

2 Missiles from Grom kills them just fine, the 12.7mm sniper rifle wrecks then too.

Glass

About the man on fire, chapter 2 spoilers -
When did it become known he was Volgin? Like its kind of obvious for players looking at the model, but for Kaz and co its suddenly 'Go find Volgins remains' and thats the first time you hear his name.

Can someone confirm unlocking Mission 45 for me? No story spoilers.

Apparently I need a maximum bond with Quiet to unlock 45 and progress the story? I currently have all the Side Ops done up to this point.

When did it become known he was Volgin? Like its kind of obvious for players looking at the model, but for Kaz and co its suddenly 'Go find Volgins remains' and thats the first time you hear his name.

Yeah I hated how it was just casually spoiled. I mean I was able to deduce myself but still that was such a shit way just "Oh yeah fire guy is probly Volgin LOL"

Soulflarz

Banned
Yeah I hated how it was just casually spoiled. I mean I was able to deduce myself but still that was such a shit way just "Oh yeah fire guy is probly Volgin LOL"

Hated this, since we've been saying it for 2 years. Goes back to me saying this game has the huge flaw of no
real twists since we called them all forever ago.

Post mission 46 spoilers
ocelot and *spoiler* already knew where volgin was and what he could do even before you wake up from the coma

Top Bottom