• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain |OT2| A Franchise Robbed Of Its Future

Soulflarz

Banned
You feel it too, dont you?

Thinking and mulling about that mission - I think its very brilliant.

I was shaking and sweating like a madman when I knew I'd have to take the kids to the helicopter, and fulton wouldn't cut it.

Bring in an enemy chopper, and my chopper that was blaring 'DANNNNNCINNG WITH TEARRRRS IN MY EYESSSS' in the distance. Even when I took out the soldier around me, my hands were literally SHAKING when I was loading the kids into the helicopter. I've never felt so tense in a video game.

The highs in the game are soooooo good.

I think I win this. I took everyone to the chopper without issues. Got detected at the last second, flew off, leaving all of them but the one required.

S rank, what a great example you are Big Boss, thanks Big Boss, etc
Best savior of
kids
ever.

Zebetite

Banned
quoting for a new page

so for some reason i haven't been able to equip an Item to the right-most slot (like, pressing right on the radial menu) all game. is there a particular reason for that? it's getting kind of annoying having to put shit on diagonals when there's a perfectly good slot that just has a lock icon over it for no discernible reason

here's a picture even!

nGFRDDF.jpg

the slot on the right with a red rectangle i can't seem to equip an item to no matter what i do.

I just finished Episode 31.... wow.
Chapter 2 seems insane

Small question for anyone that has finished 31.
Is there anyway to visit Eli and the other children? The only people I know that I can visit now are Paz, Huey, and Quiet, any way to visit Ocelot, Kaz, Code Talker, or Eli?

J-Skee

I just finished Episode 31.... wow.
Chapter 2 seems insane

Small question for anyone that has finished 31.
Is there anyway to visit Eli and the other children? The only people I know that I can visit now are Paz, Huey, and Quiet, any way to visit Ocelot, Kaz, Code Talker, or Eli?

How do you visit Huey? The R&D doors are always locked.

Nickle

Cool Facts: Game of War has been a hit since July 2013
This game is getting way too big for its own good. I'm only mission 23 but I've been playing for 39 hours. I'm going to try to stop focusing on Mother Base/Side Ops or else I'll burn out.

Welcome to the Duck Hotel, please enjoy your stay.

mgsvtpp_2015_09_10_16_42_06_228_by_realghostvids-d991omg.jpg

quack

Edit:

quoting for a new page

here's a picture even!

nGFRDDF.jpg

the slot on the right with a red rectangle i can't seem to equip an item to no matter what i do.

It's for when you aren't using those items. When you equip your cardboard box or cigar you are actively using it and it fills the slot, but when you stop using it it becomes the "None" slot again. Your weapons are always equipped so there's no "None" slot for those.

Lynx_7

Bring in an enemy chopper, and my chopper that was blaring 'DANNNNNCINNG WITH TEARRRRS IN MY EYESSSS' in the distance[...]

How do you assign a song to your helicopter/mother base, by the way? I still don't have a clue on how to do that.

Yep, same here. In general, I feel that this game is at its best when it stays open-plan. When you're given the option to play however you like it's sublime, but any time it tries to force you down a certain path I start getting frustrated.
Quiet and I had already cleared out the whole area around the mine, and I could easily just have had the chopper land right in the middle and loaded everyone straight on. Instead the game insists I travel down a shooting gallery and spawns dudes behind me. I ended up dying about four times and just hating life by the end, but of course the game's dopey ranking system gives me the S-rank for it :p
That's exactly what happened. I had tranq'd pretty much everyone and would've had a much easier time if the game just allowed me to
choose the landing zone
. I'm not against the game forcing me to go through a designed challenge, but come on, at least give me some half-baked justification. lol

I think I win this. I took everyone to the chopper without issues. Got detected at the last second, flew off, leaving all of them but the one required.

S rank, what a great example you are Big Boss, thanks Big Boss, etc
Best savior of
kids
ever.

Lmao. They're gonna tell legends about this one, boss!

CrovaxPSO

Got a question about some specific side ops (minor Africa spoilers): The whole set of
child soldier extraction
side ops has disappeared from my list. I read that sometimes side ops will disappear if you have too many in a similar location, but I don't remember where those ones were. Anyone know if this specific set will reappear at a later time, or what I need to do to get them to show up again?

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I can't for the love of me get into this game. I love the lore, the characters, I love how smooth it plays, I hate how much distance I have to travel from point to point in a mission, I hate how when you are discovered sometimes you have to repeat huge chunks.

I really want to like this game but I just can't. I've just finished Mad Max and I enjoyed that thoroughly, returning to MGSV feels awesome because of the 60 fps, but I don't know, I'm not feeling it.

Any advice, maybe I'm not doing something that would make me enjoy this more?

Currently on mission 12, done all the subquests that were available to me.

I play a super stealth build with tranqs only, and until Mission 12, I wasn't feeling the game at all. I'm really really liking it now. Two reasons for this: getting D-Dog, and more combat options. D-Horse is worthless to my playstyle, but D-Dog makes the game simply awesome.

I have a feeling you're probably like me. Keep at it, unlock D-Dog, get a sneaking suit and a tranq rifle, and you will really start to get into it.

How do you assign a song to your chopper/mother base, by the way? I still don't have a clue on how to do that.

In the cassette tape menu, select a song and hit Square to assign it to your helicopter.

duckroll

Wow I just realized that I managed to totally skip two cutscenes in the game because of the timing during mission 23 (Eli).
I didn't even realize there were meant to be actual cutscenes introducing him, and another cutscene after you beat him. I've heard that some players fought him, but I always thought it was just a matter of whether there was a fight not or. In my case, I approached the ship at night, and when I got to where he was, he was sleeping on the bed to the side, and there were no alerts, so I just popped a headshot tranq at close range and carried him off for an easy S rank. Lol.

Impulsor

I play a super stealth build with tranqs only, and until Mission 12, I wasn't feeling the game at all. I'm really really liking it now. Two reasons for this: getting D-Dog, and more combat options. D-Horse is worthless to my playstyle, but D-Dog makes the game simply awesome.

I have a feeling you're probably like me. Keep at it, unlock D-Dog, get a sneaking suit and a tranq rifle, and you will really start to get into it.

In the cassette tape menu, select a song and hit Square to assign it to your helicopter.

Will do, does the sneak suit from GZ count?

So is it a bug that completed side ops that are re-playable have the flashing circle next to them as if they are a new mission? It is annoying to me that side ops says I have 5 missions available but they are all ones I have completed. OCD in me...also poor design if not a bug.

Anth0ny

Just finished the game. What a ride that was.

I probably need more time to reflect, and maybe I need to replay it, but I think V is definitely my least favourite MGS. Ultimately, as flawless as it was in the gameplay department, the lack of story/weak story really hurt the game for me.

If MGS1 & 3 are perfect 10s, MGS2 is a 9/10, MGS4 is an 8/10, I'm thinking MGSV is a 8/10 or 7.5/10. To keep things spoiler free, I liked the focus on story in MGS4, even though it was flawed in places. This is obviously not the case in MGSV. I'll take a story heavy MGS over a story lite MGS any day of the week.

So I guess I'm only just waiting for (chapter 2 spoilers)
missions 45 and 46 to pop. I don't plan on doing any of the extreme missions, so I guess I'll just take care of side ops.

Is there any way to easily and quickly max my bond with quiet? Ive been bringing her out on side ops but only getting about 3 bond per op.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Thank you. Now I can finally make my dramatic exits with The Final Countdown blaring through my helicopter.
The way it was meant to be done.

Will do, does the sneak suit from GZ count?

I havent uploaded my GZ save yet, so I don't know (I'll probably do that tonight). I just really like the sneaking suit you get in TPP.

duckroll

So is it a bug that completed side ops that are re-playable have the flashing circle next to them as if they are a new mission? It is annoying to me that side ops says I have 5 missions available but they are all ones I have completed. OCD in me...also poor design if not a bug.

It's not a bug, it's just yet another slightly confusing aspect of the iffy UI and menus.

so I just did a mission where I extracted several tanks, like maybe 4 or 5. Now I am trying to do a dispatch mission and its telling me I dont have a tank, which is required for this. I have fultoned several tanks even before doing that last mission. Do I need to assign vehicles to combat units? and if so, how do I do that?

Edit: actually, I think I have the wrong type of tank...thats a little ridiculous

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Wow I just realized that I managed to totally skip two cutscenes in the game because of the timing during mission 23 (Eli).
I didn't even realize there were meant to be actual cutscenes introducing him, and another cutscene after you beat him. I've heard that some players fought him, but I always thought it was just a matter of whether there was a fight not or. In my case, I approached the ship at night, and when I got to where he was, he was sleeping on the bed to the side, and there were no alerts, so I just popped a headshot tranq at close range and carried him off for an easy S rank. Lol.
It's amazing that you can do this.

bryt

Can I level up my bond level with my buddies doing side ops? I just did over 20 of them with D-Horse but he's already maxed out. I got a feeling I wasted a good chance to level up my bond with my other buddies.

duckroll

What's the explanation for it? Side Ops it recommends I do re-do or what?

Certain Side Ops will be replayable at certain times. Basically the game just tries to ensure that at any given time, there are several things to do in Free Roam around the map. The Side Ops which are replayable in an area are usually somewhat random. Nothing to worry about, just focus on the check box to see what you haven't completed yet.

Gsnap

I'm surprised so many people had trouble with 18. I thought it was brilliant.
The kids always did what I said though. Once I noticed that they took their own path I slowed down to not lose track of them. Sent quite to specific parts to take out people. Took out a few people myself. Had to lay low for almost a full minute once because of the chopper. But I never got caught and we all made it out safely and efficiently.

It was intense and I loved it. I could understand though, if things didn't quite line up for people and they had to do it many times over, how it might be annoying. But it's still well designed and one of my favorite missions so far. At least of the more scripted ones.

Certain Side Ops will be replayable at certain times. Basically the game just tries to ensure that at any given time, there are several things to do in Free Roam around the map. The Side Ops which are replayable in an area are usually somewhat random. Nothing to worry about, just focus on the check box to see what you haven't completed yet.

That makes sense.

I have a prisoner rescue side ops available again. Would I be extracting the same prisoner or a random one?

Does the game slow down to a crawl for anyone else when trying to design the emblem? I'm playing on PC.

If so, any known way to fix that? It's frustrating as hell.

duckroll

I have a prisoner rescue side ops available again. Would I be extracting the same prisoner or a random one?

From experience it seems to be a new random prisoner but also with high value stats. It doesn't really matter much in the end because as far as recruits on Motherbase go, all the names are kinda randomized anyway.

54-46!

Can you do optional objectives for missions you've already completed and just exit by heli pickup or do you have to complete the entire mission?

I have that too.

Apparently a beta patch will fix it, haven't tried it myself: http://www.gamepur.com/guide/20258-mgs-v-phantom-pain-how-fix-emblem-editor-lag.html

edit: Oh it's in an official patch already, never mind then. I like the pace at which they've been doing updates on PC.

It was officially patched on PC a few days ago.

Oh, thanks guys/gals. Haven't had too much time to play the last few days, glad to see it's fixed.

The game starts hitting its stride then outta nowhere back to the filler missions. I really do have a love hate relationship with this game. Love it more then I hate it, but why oh why did Kojima feel the need to put so much bloat into this experience?

Marvel

could never
The game starts hitting its stride then outta nowhere back to the filler missions. I really do have a love hate relationship with this game. Love it more then I hate it, but why oh why did Kojima feel the need to put so much bloat into this experience?

It was rushed and had shit cut.

Menthuss

So uh, I just finished mission 28 and I'm curious:
Is this the big plot twist everyone's griping about? I mean, it is pretty dumb even for Metal Gear but at the same time I didn't think it was THAT bad.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
The subsistence missions are actually very good. It's an amazing feeling to complete a mission without any gear and relying only on OSP.
So uh, I just finished mission 28 and I'm curious:
Is this the big plot twist everyone's griping about? I mean, it is pretty dumb even for Metal Gear but at the same time I didn't think it was THAT bad.
No.

Alo0oy

Banned
Well, that was weird, I just got the "hero" trophy as soon as a drone caught me while invading someone.

What are the requirements for being a hero? It was my first invasion right after beating Chapter 1, and I finished about ~80 side ops.

I just find it weird that getting caught by a drone is apparently a requirement?

duckroll

It was rushed and had shit cut.

You know, I've seen this a lot, but while it's always true that any game has content which gets cut, is that really the reason for the "reuse" of missions? It seems that people want to believe that such a flaw had to be the result of the game being rushed and that in a perfect world it would never have happened, but having played the shit out of Peace Walker previously, I think it's also possible that it's also something Kojima intended as part of the design.

Chapter 5 of Peace Walker is basically the exact same thing as how people have described Chapter 2 of TPP. I'm not there myself yet, but it sounds identical. A long "post-game" continuation where you are encouraged to replay harder versions of old missions, new and harder versions of side ops, and just basically do optional content until certain flags trigger and you get a new story event. It might not be great design, but considering he's done this twice now in the exact same way, I don't think it's a coincidence or compromise.

Top Bottom