• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain |OT2| A Franchise Robbed Of Its Future

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Well, that was weird, I just got the "hero" trophy as soon as a drone caught me while invading someone.

What are the requirements for being a hero? It was my first invasion right after beating Chapter 1, and I finished about ~80 side ops.

I just find it weird that getting caught by a drone is apparently a requirement?
Lol you need 150k Heroism points for codename Hero.

Getting caught by a drone is not one :p

Roussow

You know, I've seen this a lot, but while it's always true that any game has content which gets cut, is that really the reason for the "reuse" of missions? It seems that people want to believe that such a flaw had to be the result of the game being rushed and that in a perfect world it would never have happened, but having played the shit out of Peace Walker previously, I think it's also possible that it's also something Kojima intended as part of the design.

Chapter 5 of Peace Walker is basically the exact same thing as how people have described Chapter 2 of TPP. I'm not there myself yet, but it sounds identical. A long "post-game" continuation where you are encouraged to replay harder versions of old missions, new and harder versions of side ops, and just basically do optional content until certain flags trigger and you get a new story event. It might not be great design, but considering he's done this twice now in the exact same way, I don't think it's a coincidence or compromise.

Have you finished the game? It's not just the lack of new missions, it's the lack of any resolution to the story.

I don't know how many times that cardboard box saved my life.

Remember in MGS2, enemies could shoot holes through the box and light from their flashlight would beam through the holes? I wonder if this is possible in this game?

Xanathus

You know, I've seen this a lot, but while it's always true that any game has content which gets cut, is that really the reason for the "reuse" of missions? It seems that people want to believe that such a flaw had to be the result of the game being rushed and that in a perfect world it would never have happened, but having played the shit out of Peace Walker previously, I think it's also possible that it's also something Kojima intended as part of the design.

Chapter 5 of Peace Walker is basically the exact same thing as how people have described Chapter 2 of TPP. I'm not there myself yet, but it sounds identical. A long "post-game" continuation where you are encouraged to replay harder versions of old missions, new and harder versions of side ops, and just basically do optional content until certain flags trigger and you get a new story event. It might not be great design, but considering he's done this twice now in the exact same way, I don't think it's a coincidence or compromise.
I feel it is definitely an intentional game design and anyone who played Peace Walker should recognize it. The main game basically is finished and over with Chapter 1, and everything else should be thought as post-game content.

Alo0oy

Banned
Lol you need 150k Heroism points for codename Hero.

Getting caught by a drone is not one :p

Are you sure? My friend has more than 150k and she's not a hero yet.

The trophy triggered EXACTLY as I was getting caught, I don't think getting caught gives you heroism points at all, so even if I was 5 heroism points short of the requirements it still wouldn't make sense.

My heroism points were at 170k after that invasion.

duckroll

Have you finished the game? It's not just the lack of new missions, it's the lack of any resolution to the story.

No I have not. I'm not defending the design or the story, I'm talking entirely about how people have been responding to the reuse of missions in Chapter 2 as the game being "rushed". That in particular I feel is just a hold over from Peace Walker design philosophy, for better or worse.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Are you sure? My friend has more than 150k and she's not a hero yet.

The trophy triggered EXACTLY as I was getting caught, I don't think getting caught gives you heroism points at all, so even if I was 5 heroism points short of the requirements it still wouldn't make sense.

My heroism points were at 170k after that invasion.
There are two requirements:

1) Beat mission 31
2) Have 150k Heroism points.

I got the trophy at 150k and it's even mentioned in the CE guide.

It was rushed and had shit cut.

I don't even know if that is the issue, I don't understand why 157 side-ops are needed. The main missions that actually have story elements in them are very good. They could have focused less on putting so many side-ops and actually put effort into crafting more of those. It just frustrates me because there are some really amazing missions in here, but then there are a bunch of crappy useless ones.

The subsistence missions are actually very good. It's an amazing feeling to complete a mission without any gear and relying only on OSP.

I just finished one of those right now and although it was awesome would have liked it if it was something completely different mission wise. This stuff should be saved for a side-op not part of a main episode. It's dumb that the episodes get reused.

Mission 29...

mgsvtpp_2015_09_10_18_06_39_103_by_realghostvids-d991t5b.jpg

Yeah, because stealth is my problem with this one. Thanks.

Roussow

No I have not. I'm not defending the design or the story, I'm talking entirely about how people have been responding to the reuse of missions in Chapter 2 as the game being "rushed". That in particular I feel is just a hold over from Peace Walker design philosophy, for better or worse.

I understand where you're coming from. This whole game is basically Peace Walker 2, and I liked chapter 2 more than the side-ops and occasional Zardonov hunts in PW, there's defiantly more story between end of Chapter 1 and end of 2 in TPP than there was between defeating Peace Walker and the Paz/Zeke fight in PW. But there are literally very clear story threads just left on the table, by the end -- you'll probably not even realize you've seen the end for a few hours if you're not talking to people that have played the game. The mission that was unfinished and shown in video form of the collectors edition is the true ending of the story, and it doesn't exist in the game, it's just not there, and it sucks.

Alo0oy

Banned

1) Beat mission 31

I guess it's possible that the trophy showed up late, but it was much much later, after finishing chapter 1, I did the legendary
Jackal
sideop, and then I redid about 5 earlier missions and finished all the tasks in them, after that I decided to invade someone and got the trophy as soon as the drone caught me.

EDIT: And my friend did beat Chapter 1 and has over 150k points and still no trophy.

Hasney

Episode 29 strategy:

Straight away, run left and head towards the corner of the airport where there's an opening. Ignore Codetalker, they'll be more focused on you. Either use D Walker with an upgraded gattling gun or use a rocket launcher. As you're on the edge of the mission area, they won't be able to surround you and everything can then be dodged or CQC countered while you blast them away. Did it second time.

1) Beat mission 31

That triggers the trophy, yeah. Or at least should. To get actual hero status to allow you to infiltrate nuke FOBs, you also need every codename from what I've read. At least, I'm close to 500k heroism and I still can't.

Woodchipper

Episode 29 strategy:

Straight away, run left and head towards the corner of the airport where there's an opening. Ignore Codetalker, they'll be more focused on you. Either use D Walker with an upgraded gattling gun or use a rocket launcher. As you're on the edge of the mission area, they won't be able to surround you and everything can then be dodged or CQC countered while you blast them away. Did it second time.
Thanks, I finished mission 28 last night, then realized that
the skulls
was gonna be in 29, said "fuck this!" out loud and went to bed.

LeonSPBR

Episode 29 strategy:

That triggers the trophy, yeah. Or at least should. To get actual hero status to allow you to infiltrate nuke FOBs, you also need every codename from what I've read. At least, I'm close to 500k heroism and I still can't.

I got mine at 180K... this trophy is glitched as hell.

Alo0oy

Banned
Episode 29 strategy:

You mean the code names you get after each mission? I don't think I got all of them, but how do I check and make sure of that? All of them show up in the encyclopedia whether you got them or not.

Revengineer

Unconfirmed Member
I feel like the next OT title should be "A Franchise Granted Its Future"

This game is just getting better and better. 25 hours, 30%.. I love it.

Hasney

You mean the code names you get after each mission? I don't think I got all of them, but how do I check and make sure of that? All of them show up in the encyclopedia whether you got them or not.

On the iDroid Mother Base screen, go to database. Anything with a ??? is a codename you don't have.

valkyre

So in terms of main missions I got to numbers 33 , 34 and I notice
they are already completed missions previously in the campaign, just at higher difficulty. Which is disappointing me a bit. Do these count as main missions like before or is it just optional stuff?

Please respond without any spoilers at all.

So, remember when Kojima said something along the lines of Ground Zeroes playing a part in Phantom Pain, and that it would be something never seen in video games. Many people assumed you could return to it, but I've yet to see that as an option. Is importing characters that I think you can unlock naturally in game anyway what Kojima meant? Am I missing something?

So, remember when Kojima said something along the lines of Ground Zeroes playing a part in Phantom Pain, and that it would be something never seen in video games. Many people assumed you could return to it, but I've yet to see that as an option. Is importing characters that I think you can unlock naturally in game anyway what Kojima meant? Am I missing something?

The Camp Omega/Ground Zeroes stuff got cut from the game

eso76

Yep i'm not buying it either.
Plus, the game was reportedly 'finished' months before launch.

I think reusing missions with different rules is merely a design decision to force people to try different approaches and appreciate different aspects of the sandbox.
The game shines when you think out of the box, and a lot of things you'd never come across if you didn't play the same scenarios more than once.

Alo0oy

Banned
On the iDroid Mother Base screen, go to database. Anything with a ??? is a codename you don't have.

I have all of them, I don't remember getting all of them, I didn't even try getting any code name other than
butterfly
, but I guess I did better than I thought.

damn, the game crashed completely yesterday..
I was on a main mission, and i just had to eliminate one more guy. Riding on my horse and it just froze and stopped.

I hope this doesn't happen more often. That's a waste of time.

Hasney

I have all of them, I don't remember getting all of them, I didn't even try getting any code name other than
butterfly
, but I guess I did better than I thought.

Guess which one I'm missing? HINT:
It's now impossible for me to get it
damn, the game crashed completely yesterday..
I was on a main mission, and i just had to eliminate one more guy. Riding on my horse and it just froze and stopped.

I hope this doesn't happen more often. That's a waste of time.

Weird, I've not had one crash yet and I'm closing in on 80 hours. Hopefully it's a one off for you!

Heartfyre

Episode 29 strategy:

Alternative strategy from the Piggyback guide:

Equip your most powerful sniper rifle, ignore Code Talker, and leg it to the rear of the hanger (on the side facing the downed chopper). At the corner, there's a ladder that you can climb to the roof of the hanger. From there, mark the Skulls and snipe for headshots. They'll mostly just warp around, use their rock throw attack (which won't hit you when you're prone), their exploding rock summoning attack (just move to a different spot on the roof), or, rarely, teleport close for a melee attack (dodge or CQC counter). Should make short work of them. I got an S rank on both versions of this battle with this strategy.

It's interesting to see so many people say this isn't a Metal Gear game. I mean, other than the lack of cutscenes and relative lack/quality of bosses, this is as Metal Gear a game as any in the series. Are cutscenes what really defines what Metal Gear is to so many people?

That being said, it's interesting to juxtapose Metal Gear Solid IV and V. Both are divisive. They are almost opposites in that MGSIV is a short, linear, extremely heavily story/cutscene based game; whereas MGSV is vastly open, experimental, and light on story/cutscenes. While I believe MGSV is the better game, I will admit there was a catharsis from finishing MGSIV with its avalanche of nostalgia and straight up fanservice. With MGS V, while I actually do like the Chapter 1 story, there wasn't any catharsis at all. It was very cool and interesting, but I didn't feel closure. Considering this is almost certainly the last real Metal Gear Solid thing, that is a weird feeling.

Hasney

Alternative strategy from the Piggyback guide:

Equip your most powerful sniper rifle, ignore Code Talker, and leg it to the rear of the hanger (on the side facing the downed chopper). At the corner, there's a ladder that you can climb to the roof of the hanger. From there, mark the Skulls and snipe for headshots. They'll mostly just warp around, use their rock throw attack (which won't hit you when you're prone), their exploding rock summoning attack (just move to a different spot on the roof), or, rarely, teleport close for a melee attack (dodge or CQC counter). Should make short work of them. I got an S rank on both versions of this battle with this strategy.

Might do this for (endgame equipment spoiler)
tranqing the skulls for parasite resources

Wow, that sucks. So you're gonna need to start over if you want the Plat.

Nah, I got the actual trophy, I just don't have real hero status that allows me to
dispose of an FOB nuke
. I can still invade them, I just need to
develop my own nuke, which means I could actually get my base nuked and lose almost everything if I fail to dispose of it....

KingBroly

Banned
I did Mission
and it was okay. It was more interesting than I thought it'd be. It made me figure out one flaw with the game's design and it's that if you're not in the world, you can't go back there without selecting a Mission. What a bummer :|

I was finally able to develop the
Cargo Fulton System, so now I can leave Missions in STYLE :D
as well as the
Stealth Camo which means I can blow through the game now. I know some purists are raging at me, but I don't really care.

Alo0oy

Banned
It's interesting to see so many people say this isn't a Metal Gear game. I mean, other than the lack of cutscenes and relative lack/quality of bosses, this is as Metal Gear a game as any in the series. Are cutscenes what really defines what Metal Gear is to so many people?

That being said, it's interesting to juxtapose Metal Gear Solid IV and V. Both are divisive. They are almost opposites in that MGSIV is a short, linear, extremely heavily story/cutscene based game; whereas MGSV is vastly open, experimental, and light on story/cutscenes. While I believe MGSV is the better game, I will admit there was a catharsis from finishing MGSIV with its avalanche of nostalgia and straight up fanservice. With MGS V, while I actually do like the Chapter 1 story, there wasn't any catharsis at all. It was very cool and interesting, but I didn't feel closure. Considering this is almost certainly the last real Metal Gear Solid thing, that is a weird feeling.

Yeah, the story in chapter 1 was trash. But from the synopsis cutscene for Chapter 2, it looks more character focused than plot focused, which is something I personally prefer, I can already tell that I'll like chapter 2.

And I loved replaying missions in Peace Walker on hard, so that won't be a problem for me.

That sounds weirdly specific. Aren't those called emblem parts? Isn't there butterfly text too?
I took it to mean it doesn't happen if you were already given butterfly, but the wording doesn't make sense if so.

I did Mission
and it was okay. It was more interesting than I thought it'd be. It made me figure out one flaw with the game's design and it's that if you're not in the world, you can't go back there without selecting a Mission. What a bummer :|

You can there's a freeroam tab.

Randy

You guys encountered this? Mission starts, objectives are explained and then suddenly the conversation turns a bit awkward, because I already completed those same objectives by accident in an earlier mission. Mission ends. It's pretty funny (but you get no rank...).

I had to destroy some communication devices in an outpost.

Alo0oy

Banned
So am I correct in assuming it's impossible to platinum the game if you keep
Quiet
?

If so, that really sucks.

Wait, is that true?

Can I remove the
emblem
later when I'm done with
her
to get the platinum, or is it completely missable if I do that?

Top Bottom