• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain |OT2| A Franchise Robbed Of Its Future

Heartfyre

Might do this for (endgame equipment spoiler)
tranqing the skulls for parasite resources

I don't think you have to use nonlethal weapons to get parasites. Actually, I don't think you can even break their armour with nonlethal weapons. Their bodies remain to be extracted for a while after going for a lethal kill -- I recommend running over to them as soon as you take them down. Remember to bring Quiet as well, especially if she has the Sinful Butterfly. And use the Brennan sniper if you can. Even on Extreme, it takes out their armour in one shot. And extracting Skulls gives you a huge score bonus if you're going for an S Rank.

Nibel

damn, the game crashed completely yesterday..
I was on a main mission, and i just had to eliminate one more guy. Riding on my horse and it just froze and stopped.

I hope this doesn't happen more often. That's a waste of time.

The exact same thing happened to me; was riding on my horse and then it froze.

Weirdly enough I was able to enter the menu and tried to restart the mission, but then I got stuck at the loading screen. Then I tried to close the game in the PS4 OS but even that didn't work. Then I was trying to shutdown the PS4 completely and after the 'Don't turn your system off when the PS4 blinks' screen it showed the loading screen (!) again. I was baffled and then nothing helped: the controller didn't work, I couldn't turn my PS4 off so the last option was to pull the plug and thankfully that worked. Worst crash I ever had on any console.

This game seems kinda unstable tbh.

Hasney

Wait, is that true?

Can I remove the
emblem
later when I'm done with
her
to get the platinum, or is it completely missable if I do that?

Once the emblem is removed, it'll pop the required missions later. And yes, you do have to lose Quiet to get a side-op and a mission to S rank for trophies

I don't think you have to use nonlethal weapons to get parasites. Actually, I don't think you can even break their armour with nonlethal weapons. Their bodies remain to be extracted for a while after going for a lethal kill -- I recommend running over to them as soon as you take them down. Remember to bring Quiet as well, especially if she has the Sinful Butterfly. And use the Brennan sniper if you can. Even on Extreme, it takes out their armour in one shot. And extracting Skulls gives you a huge score bonus if you're going for an S Rank.

Ah, good to know. But you can use non-lethal means. I ended up doing it on the sniper battle Skull mission because Quiet got killed and it's all I had

If the Battle Gear is destroyed during a dispatch mission is there no way I can replace it? Don't really want to attempt these late-game missions with only a 58% chance of success and lose out on even being able to retry them later.

Alo0oy

Banned
Once the emblem is removed, it'll pop the required missions later. And yes, you do have to lose Quiet to get a side-op and a mission to S rank for trophies

Ah, good to know. But you can use non-lethal means. I ended up doing it on the sniper battle Skull mission because Quiet got killed and it's all I had

you can call her back after ~5 minutes

Why doesn't that make sense? It shows it to you on the map and in the missions briefings..mission areas have always been an open world thing, for good reason, since memory isn't where it needs to be for you to wander to one end of the map then return and everything still be exactly as it was rendered before.. free roam and side ops are the only things without restrictions.

Oh not saying I don't understand why it is like that. However, with the lack of mini-map there is no way to know how close I am to the edge of a zone without checking my idroid which isn't a good risk to take when
you have a 4 story metal gear stomping towards you and are trying to aim a tank cannon. They should have just had you fight it in some closed off area or something. Hell it's kinda weak that you are even able to escape. Shouldn't even be a possibility IMO.

Winter John

Enjoying the game. My only gripe is D Dog can be a real pain in the ass and frequently gets in the way. I just lost a mission and died while trying to climb over a wall because the climb action is on the same button as the pet dog action.

Holy shit, this game actually has D and E ratings (Dan Ryckert got one in the blew up
as many tanks as you can mission, I got a C there)
. I thought the lowest was C.

Menthuss

Just did mission 29 and managed to get an S rank along with Foxhound rank.
IMHO this mission wasn't anywhere near as bad people made it out to be. Hell, I actually thought it was
a nice change of pace from all the sneaking.

All I did was
get an LMG, moved away from Code Talker and just started taking down the Skulls 1 by 1. Only died twice because the exploding ground spike and floating rock attacks surprised me.

Alo0oy

Banned
I can normally, I couldn't here for whatever reason. I blame mist/parasites/nanomachines/Kojima

I actually managed to call her back in that mission, she was completely useless on the first part, but when I called her back she took out 2 Skulls by herself.

Greddleok

Holy shit, this game actually has D and E ratings (Dan Ryckert got one in the blew up
as many tanks as you can mission, I got a C there)
. I thought the lowest was C.

I got an E in that mission too. I think I only missed one, and extracted the prisoner. My only E and it's mocking me.

Freeman76

Enjoying the game. My only gripe is D Dog can be a real pain in the ass and frequently gets in the way. I just lost a mission and died while trying to climb over a wall because the climb action is on the same button as the pet dog action.

Very odd, d-dog hasn't got in my way once in over 50 hours of playing, the problem is I'm so reliant on his support that I don't use any other buddie lol

Hasney

I actually managed to call her back in that mission, she was completely useless on the first part, but when I called her back she took out 2 Skulls by herself.

Dammit! She didn't get out of the sick bay until I killed the last one, then I got the notification she was out. Was fun to do alone though, a tense 20 minute battle with my sleeper sniper against all of them

Just need to bear in mind that these are unprocessed, so still need to play the waiting game with it.

Ddog only gets in my way when I'm trying to look through a scope to my left, and instead of a distant guard I get a face full of dog. Although... he doesn't really look like a dog in my setup, but that's a spoiler.

Greddleok

I think time is the most essential thing to get a high rank. So if you take your time, you will get a lower rank :/

Yup time is pretty much the only stat that matters. Still, on mission 28, I managed an A despite taking an hour. Took me ages to find the prisoner, but I had zero alerts, zero reflex modes and like 100 tactical take downs.

I think time is the most essential thing to get a high rank. So if you take your time, you will get a lower rank :/

I think it depends on the mission though. I'm only at mission 13 or so but I've gotten surprising S-Ranks on missions where I took a very safe route fultoning guards and even retrying checkpoints a few times.

africa is a cool map, a nice change of pace after a bunch of time in the desert, but i was really hoping it would have more jungle and less plains. seems totally different from the old gameplay demo i remember

Carbonox

I don't accept anything less than an S rank. If I finish a mission and it's a lesser rank I'll redo it in order to S rank it. Game can't play me like a fiddle.

dmshaposv

I think I got rank E or something for honey bee...

Don't even care, since I don't have time for this 'look at me, I only get S-ranks and nothing but' dick waving contest you guys are doing.

KarmaCow

Spoiler about something for dispatch missions that really isn't a big deal but just in case.

Some people have said that they ended up losing the Battle Gear on dispatch missions with no way of getting it back. It's frankly made me hesitant to even try the later key dispatch missions because I'm only at a 51% winning chance with a 20% predicted loss. The Battle Gear effectively adds 6 times the fighting strength of my best soldiers so without it, those missions are basically impossible and they take over 2 hours to even attempt. Surely this can't be intended design right, making it so you need to essentially restart the game completely to complete all the dispatch missions?

Hasney

Don't even care, since I don't have time for this 'look at me, I only get S-ranks and nothing but' dick waving contest you guys are doing.

Yeah, I mean I am going back to S them for the trophy, but first time thorough if shit went wrong, I just dealt with it. I can't imagine restarting because you fucked up when the game is so damn fun when you have to adapt.

MrS

Banned

I've got all S ranks so I have the longest dick, obviously.

Greddleok

Yeah, I mean I am going back to S them for the trophy, but first time thorough if shit went wrong, I just dealt with it. I can't imagine restarting because you fucked up when the game is so damn fun when you have to adapt.

That's exactly my plan. When shit hits the fan, reacting to it is like half the fun.

Top Bottom