• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain |OT2| A Franchise Robbed Of Its Future

ezekial45

Banned
Just finished Mission 43.

Maaaaannnnnn, that was fucking dark. I felt horrible carrying out the extermination. But that whole sequence was incredible, very well done. I wished there were more sequences like that throughout the game.

So now about mission 46. How does that unlock? I haven't gotten any new scenes after the last mission, so is it just a matter of time?

Finished mission 43

Well, that was gruesome and affecting. Lost some of my best men and women. I like how it kinda reflected on the massacre happening in prologue.

Also fuck Huey. Deserved every bit of torture and more.

GeekMarty

Maaaaannnnnn, that was fucking dark. I felt horrible carrying out the extermination. But that whole sequence was incredible, very well done. I wished there were more sequences like that throughout the game.

So now about mission 46. How does that unlock? I haven't gotten any new scenes after the last mission, so is it just a matter of time?

Keep doing some side ops.

Geg

I was dreading Mission 31 going into it, but it ended up being easier than 29 for me. I only died 3 or 4 times and still got an S rank

Drencrom

Okay, I'm really sad to say this... but
these 'boss fights' with the Skull forces are fucking horrible and dreadful. Like seriously, they just throw you in a big open area with these fuckers jumping around and shooting you. I've fought them several times now and it's just not fun at all. Are you supposed to just run around and shoot them with RPGs and shit and occasionally press the CQC button when they come at you? I really don't get it.

What the fuck was Kojima thinking with this shit...

Phionoxx

I eagerly await the servers being fixed to the point where staying online is consistent without forced disconnects and ideally not slowing the idroid menus to a crawl. They seem really slow right now.

Btw, once your Intel team lvl is high enough (don't know exactly how high tho), the delivery points will show up on your idroid.

Is there a guide to all the unlocks for Intel/ support levels anywhere at all? It would be pretty interesting to see what's available by upgrading them

Jintor

Defended my FOB by running up to a guy trying to snipe, chokeslamming him into the ground twice, and then fultoning him. I can't wait for metal gear online

these 'boss fights' with the Skull forces are fucking horrible and dreadful. Like seriously, they just throw you in a big open area with these fuckers jumping around and shooting you. I've fought them several times now and it's just not fun at all. Are you supposed to just run around and shoot them with RPGs and shit and occasionally press the CQC button when they come at you? I really don't get it.

The boss fight against the
Sniper Skulls justified their existence to me. I really enjoyed that fight.

Drencrom

FFS,
the Skull forces
can even kill you when you're in the middle of
an CQC animation. You don't even fall to the ground, the animation just plays and the screen fades.
This is so bad.

AEREC

Man what did they do to Kaz:(

He was such a bro in Peace Walker, and now he's gotten really annoying. I can see how the events of Ground Zeroes would lead to that change, but it's still sad to see him go that way.

Still a great character imo...he's just pissed, plus missing an arm and a leg.

So yeah I'm pretty sure I'm on the last few stretches and I guess I could super distil my overall thoughts at this point down to MGSV having the best core game systems and play space of any game in the series, marginally let down by an open world and overall game vision that could do with a bit more diversity and emergent behaviour in AI, events, and locations, mostly let down by a plot and mission pacing that to me is glaringly unpolished and unfinished. It's basically a game with an excellent core, wrapped in a package that's showing a lot of tears and rough edges. My gut says KojiPro dreamed very big and ran into development issues at two ends: firstly seeing that vision through on a new engines with no experience making open world games, resulting in a lot of changes throughout development, content cutting, optimising, reworking, and so on. And butting heads with Konami who wanted to see the game out sooner rather than later.

Overall I'm very happy with what we got, even if I would have preferred a more polished complete experience, if just because the core game plays so incredibly well that I'm much more forgiving of the other weaknesses (especially since one of those, narratives, hinges on something I personally feel the series has struggled with since MGS3).

Good write up. Although if we are being honest.. Every single metal gear solid game struggles with narrative. Kojima lacks subtlety and needs an editor so bad. For me, each game would be a million times better if he learned how to tell a story better. MGS1 was the least offensive in this respect.

jacobeid

Banned
Has there been any indication that the FOB system might be patched? Grinding for resources only to lose them hours later despite playing offline doesn't sit with me and I really have no desire to boot the game up now while the player base is high. I'd rather just wait until the game is dead so I have less of a chance of being infiltrated.

That feature alone seems like it will kill my enjoyment of the game completely.

daveo42

Banned
Can you Fulton a jeep with you in it?

I think it removes the action ability for getting into and out of or even onto vehicles once you attach a fulton. The only exception is being on top of a storage container as far as I've seen. You also can't fulton a truck that you yourself are in the bed of.

Timeaisis

Just beat mission 28 last night. That was fun. Dreading 29, as everyone says it's tough.

Question about [buddy]
D-Walker
:
How do I equip him with a gatling gun? I've researched it but it looks like on his buddy loadout I can only choose between Setting 1,2 or 3 which all just have a tranq

GeekMarty

Just beat mission 28 last night. That was fun. Dreading 29, as everyone says it's tough.

Question about [buddy]
D-Walker
:
How do I equip him with a gatling gun? I've researched it but it looks like on his buddy loadout I can only choose between Setting 1,2 or 3 which all just have a tranq

Customize menu on your idroid while you're in the ACC.

Develop an antimaterial rifle, then laugh at how mindnumbingly easy they become.

Alo0oy

Banned
FFS,
the Skull forces
can even kill you when you're in the middle of
an CQC animation. You don't even fall to the ground, the animation just plays and the screen fades.
This is so bad.

I hated them at first, but they become very trivial if you learn to time your CQC counters and leaps. That boss fight is not worse than Volgin or the utterly generic boss fights in Sons of Liberty and Guns of the Patriots.

duckroll

Finished up missions 30 and 31 today. Took a break and played mission 32, then listened to 84563956435 tapes while going through my new development options and stuff in the menus.

I can see why people feel let down by the story. Even in Peace Walker, by the time Chapter 4 ended, the game actually felt like it had a complete story arc. Everything after that was just "extra". Here I think the game's story never really managed to take off, and I don't think anything in Chapter 2 can change that. There is a conspiracy that spans Afghanistan and Africa which is pretty well foreshadowed, with threads and pieces which connection as you play through and fits nicely into place by the heavy expositions at the end.

But that's not the story which I think people want to be invested in. The characters, their relationships and motivations should be what's driving the story in a Metal Gear game. The shadowy conspiracy should be a background element which allows the characters to play off each other. Here it's the complete reverse. The characters, both old and new, only exist to be pieces of the conspiracy fabric, and at the end of the day the motivations behind the conspiracy isn't even satisfying. Kind of a bummer.

Mission 30 was pretty awesome though. Reminded me a lot of the opening of Act 5 in MGS4, except longer, with more options, and it doesn't turn into microwave corridor garbage at the end. The boss fight in 31 was pretty awesome in terms of scale, but a bit disappointing in terms of interactivity I think. Would have liked to have more actual destructible parts and multiple forms. I'm surprised there hasn't been a fight in MGSV that expands on the ideas of the COCOON fight in Peace Walker. You would think something like that would make perfect sense in this open world setting.

Some other observations and funny stuff about 30-31:
- At the end of 30, when I finally managed to sneak in without being detected, D-Dog was so excited he decided to run straight forward and fell to his death in that big endless pit. Cost me like 10k GMP and our bond went down. :(

- The long jeep ride with Skull Face was sooooooooo awkward. He keeps talking on and on like it's a tape, and Snake never says a single thing. No rebuttals or anything like similar scenes from previous MGS games. The worst part was when he stops talking after he says "War is peace" and the theme song kicks in for no reason at all, everyone stops talking, and then the song ends, and he starts talking again like nothing happened. Smh Kojima.

- Not being able to climb Sahelanthropus and attack a super weak spot with a melee attack after disabling it piece by piece seems like a serious oversight. Also, how can you have a huge humanoid mecha boss in a MGS game, and not allow the player to break both legs, climb up to the cockpit, and plant a C4? Considering all the huge amounts of freedom the game has in missions, this seemed lazy. :(

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.

Just do random side ops to eventually trigger it. Also listen to all the yellow cassette tapes if you haven't as I believe that's required.

raven777

Finished up missions 30 and 31 today. Took a break and played mission 32, then listened to 84563956435 tapes while going through my new development options and stuff in the menus.

I can see why people feel let down by the story. Even in Peace Walker, by the time Chapter 4 ended, the game actually felt like it had a complete story arc. Everything after that was just "extra". Here I think the game's story never really managed to take off, and I don't think anything in Chapter 2 can change that. There is a conspiracy that spans Afghanistan and Africa which is pretty well foreshadowed, with threads and pieces which connection as you play through and fits nicely into place by the heavy expositions at the end.

But that's not the story which I think people want to be invested in. The characters, their relationships and motivations should be what's driving the story in a Metal Gear game. The shadowy conspiracy should be a background element which allows the characters to play off each other. Here it's the complete reverse. The characters, both old and new, only exist to be pieces of the conspiracy fabric, and at the end of the day the motivations behind the conspiracy isn't even satisfying. Kind of a bummer.

Mission 30 was pretty awesome though. Reminded me a lot of the opening of Act 5 in MGS4, except longer, with more options, and it doesn't turn into microwave corridor garbage at the end. The boss fight in 31 was pretty awesome in terms of scale, but a bit disappointing in terms of interactivity I think. Would have liked to have more actual destructible parts and multiple forms. I'm surprised there hasn't been a fight in MGSV that expands on the ideas of the COCOON fight in Peace Walker. You would think something like that would make perfect sense in this open world setting.

- At the end of 30, when I finally managed to sneak in without being detected, D-Dog was so excited he decided to run straight forward and fell to his death in that big endless pit. Cost me like 10k GMP and our bond went down. :(

- The long jeep ride with Skull Face was sooooooooo awkward. He keeps talking on and on like it's a tape, and Snake never says a single thing. No rebuttals or anything like similar scenes from previous MGS games. The worst part was when he stops talking after he says "War is peace" and the theme song kicks in for no reason at all, everyone stops talking, and then the song ends, and he starts talking again like nothing happened. Smh Kojima.

- Not being able to climb Sahelanthropus and attack a super weak spot with a melee attack after disabling it piece by piece seems like a serious oversight. Also, how can you have a huge humanoid mecha boss in a MGS game, and not allow the player to break both legs, climb up to the cockpit, and plant a C4? Considering all the huge amounts of freedom the game has in missions, this seemed lazy. :(

Yea I agree that 31 was missed opportunity in terms of playstyle. But it still looked fucking awesome though.

I had to watch a video of the jeep ride because of the glitch I already mentioned, but it looked like it would have been a bit better in first person or with a directed camera. Or both. Can you go fpv by holding r like in the copter?

Alo0oy

Banned
I had to watch a video of the jeep ride because of the glitch I already mentioned, but it looked like it would have been a bit better in first person or with a directed camera. Or both. Can you go fpv by holding r like in the copter?

I hate first person cutscenes, they remind me too much of Dudebro shooters.

Toa TAK

Banned

Agree with all of your points here. Even for PW the bosses where you can climb and shoot parts off was great. It's kinda words how PW felt like it was a better story overall. When "Heaven's Divide" kicks in at the credits at the start of chapter 4 it felt earned.

The Jeep Ride. Enough said.

But your point about the story is spot the fuck on. I can't speak for everyone else, but the biggest reason I was excited for this game was to see these character's relationships with each other come to a close in a satisfying way. That doesn't happen at all in this game. Partly due to the story so plot focused and silent Snake.

Aurongel

Holding R just opens up your binoculars and TANKS the frame rate. Even stranger is that you can tag and analyze everyone in that scene. Skullface even had stats!

Geg

Yeah. You can even open up your iDroid to look at the map and stuff while he's talking lol

I wish we could put shortcuts into the custom music folder, not a fan of having to copy files, regardless of how little space they may cost.

Is it Questioning or Interrogating, cause I have questioning tape 3 and I'm pretty sure I know how I got it.

it says interrogating in my language, don't know if they translated it right, but anyway, i got the fourth tape after some side missions

hope i can still get it...

Muffdraul

Mission 11,12:

I seem to be good at walking unexpectedly into story missions, as twice now (with 11 and 12) I have headed out thinking I was doing a small side op and that turned into something bigger.

I don't think that's entirely random. Normally you can't wander into a main story mission, the mission won't begin unless you choose it from the menu which either flies you there if you're in the ACC, or it places a mission station on the map that you need to activate in order to actually begin the mission. The ones you're referring to are scripted exceptions, I think.

Sifl

it says interrogating in my language, don't know if they translated it right, but anyway, i got the fourth tape after some side missions

hope i can still get it...
Well, if it's the tape I have you need to do side ops 143:
Extract the AI Pod. It's at the central Afghan base camp.
I remember reading if there's 2 side ops that take place in the same location, you have to complete one before the other pops up? Could have something to do with that.

Top Bottom