• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain |OT2| A Franchise Robbed Of Its Future

Hasney

Or D Walker gattling gun. Or a machine gun. As long as you get away from codetalker and take up a good position somewhere, it's a fairly simple mission.

daveo42

Banned
So I was spoiled on the source of Quiet's abilities this morning, so I had a question about them. I'm post episode 29 btw, though some things in here might be past that point in the story, so tread lightly.
So it makes sense as to why Quiet is silent and has her ability to disappear and reappear. I didn't even put that together until after I heard she was infected with the same parasite that the Skulls, the people from the hospital, and from the base, but it makes sense. Mu big question is if this is the same for the man on fire and "psycho mantis" since they also seem to have similar, but odd ways of movement similar to Quiet and the Skulls.

Is this ever fully explained as well, or is it all just contextual with the end of episode 29?

Thanks.

You're right. Everyone complaining about that one I was talking about earlier threw me!

31 is easier though, just more time consuming. There's a mountain there, circle it so it's always between you and him, rocket the bastard. Repeat.

That mission put me in the red. What's the best way to stop your helicopter getting taken out? Aside from chopper upgrades.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Apologies if this has been asked before, but is there any indication of when to go back to Motherbase for added story cutscenes etc? Anytime I go back there there seems to be nothing to do except the target practice missions. I randomly saw something on twitter telling me to go back to the medical platform for the cutscene with
Paz
. If it wasn't for that I'd have completely missed this part, I'm kinda terrified I'll miss something else.

I have just finished mission 11 I think and have unlocked the first mission in
Africa
. Also, while I'm here, is there any reason that some side ops are repeatable? I have done the same 'extract the highly skilled soldier' mission at least 3 times.

muteki

Apologies if this has been asked before, but is there any indication of when to go back to Motherbase for added story cutscenes etc? Anytime I go back there there seems to be nothing to do except the target practice missions. I randomly saw something on twitter telling me to go back to the medical platform for the cutscene with
Paz
. If it wasn't for that I'd have completely missed this part, I'm kinda terrified I'll miss something else.

Africa
. Also, while I'm here, is there any reason that some side ops are repeatable? I have done the same 'extract the highly skilled soldier' mission at least 3 times.

The only related thing I have noticed is it consistently seems to be that if you are on MB and your idroid is blocking out the mission list, then you will get a cutscene next time you call the chopper.

Seriously, I don't know why people are so impatient :p

Well with so much stuff different for each play through and the known missibles, it is understandable to be concerned you might miss something.

For so long I was wondering when DDog would grow up and after reading people missed him entirely I was starting to get worried.

Paz

Africa
. Also, while I'm here, is there any reason that some side ops are repeatable? I done the same highly skilled soldier extraction mission at least 3 times.

Usually throws you there when you don't want to go back. Also when I choose to fly in to a specific platform it throws me into an unexpected cutscene which leaves me on the command strut...

Drencrom

I just finished Mission 28 and...
the fuck? Everyone that speaks any language besides English can get infected by the virus? How are you supposed to figure that out, nearly 95% of all my motherbase staff members speak languages besides English. Even staff members that speak English and another language went to quarantine and died, so it wasn't clear at all. Oh well, I guess the whole radio audio without English was the real hint regarding that but still.

Either way, killing people that know any language besides English sounds like a pretty shitty way to go on about 'ethnic cleansing'. Their virus would pretty much kill everyone on earth... even people that work with Cipher etc. Hell, I'm pretty sure I saw Skull Face talk another language besides English at one point lol

You have to hold Y or Triangle after you fulton to grab the fulton cord. It also doesn't work in mother base, only out on the field. It's great I use it all the time. Love it when a I finish a mission with a million guards shooting at me then I notice a shipping container and I'm like "Cya later fellas".
After attaching the Fulton, you will get another prompt to hold down Y/Triangle. That's Snake grabbing on! I just used it to save chopper expense :p

Thanks guys!

the fuck? Everyone that speaks any language besides English can get infected by the virus? How are you supposed to figure that out, nearly 95% of all my motherbase staff members speak languages besides English. Even staff members that speak English and another language went to quarantine and died, so it wasn't clear at all. Oh well, I guess the whole radio audio withut English was the real hint regarding that but still.

Either way, killing people that know any language besides English sounds like a pretty shitty way to go on about 'ethnic cleansing'. Their virus would pretty much kill everyone on earth... even people that work with Cipher etc. Hell, I'm pretty sure I saw Skull Face talk another language besides English at one point lol

Nope. That's not right.

Only those that speak Kikongo can get sick. You should've quarantined all of them only. The game gives a lot of hints.

As for the story in general, lots of strains of the virus exist, each targeting specific languages. The one in MB was for Kikongo. Skull Face eventually tells you what his real plan is; keep going.

Edit: fixed spelling.

Gaz_RB

Man what did they do to Kaz:(

He was such a bro in Peace Walker, and now he's gotten really annoying. I can see how the events of Ground Zeroes would lead to that change, but it's still sad to see him go that way.

RDreamer

Seriously, I don't know why people are so impatient :p

Because if you even do a few Side ops it seems like goddamned forever between when you get the buddies on your base and when you can actually use them. I swear there was a good 15-20 hours between getting Quiet and using her for me. It just seemed odd.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
The only related thing I have noticed is it consistently seems to be that if you are on MB and your idroid is blocking out the mission list, then you will get a cutscene next time you call the chopper.

Well with so much stuff different for each play through and the known missibles, it is understandable to be concerned you might miss something.

For so long I was wondering when DDog would grow up and after reading people missed him entirely I was starting to get worried.

Usually throws you there when you don't want to go back. Also when I choose to fly in to a specific platform it throws me into an unexpected cutscene which leaves me on the command strut...

Ok Thanks, So there's nothing else miss-able aside from the
Paz
thing then?

Also, did not know I could hold triangle to go out on a Fulton, would have saved me some hassle. I was just pressing the pause button and returning to the ACC from there.

GeekMarty

You have to hold Y or Triangle after you fulton to grab the fulton cord. It also doesn't work in mother base, only out on the field. It's great I use it all the time. Love it when a I finish a mission with a million guards shooting at me then I notice a shipping container and I'm like "Cya later fellas".

Lol, I played through the whole game without knowing this. After 63 hours, I'm gonna try this now.

Akibared

He was such a bro in Peace Walker, and now he's gotten really annoying. I can see how the events of Ground Zeroes would lead to that change, but it's still sad to see him go that way.

He hasn't been the same since the fiddler incident

Sub Zero

his body's cold as ice, but he's got a heart of gold

His behavior is justified when you'll see the true ending. Imo Kaz is the best and more interesting character in the game

Ok Thanks, So there's nothing else miss-able aside from the
Paz
thing then?

Also, did not know I could hold triangle to go out on a Fulton, would have saved me some hassle.

I don't think the spoiler subject is missable but I ain't finished yet so don't spoil it.. But doing wandering soldier missions will give you a few more little scenes if you go back to that place.

daveo42

Banned
the fuck? Everyone that speaks any language besides English can get infected by the virus? How are you supposed to figure that out, nearly 95% of all my motherbase staff members speak languages besides English. Even staff members that speak English and another language went to quarantine and died, so it wasn't clear at all. Oh well, I guess the whole radio audio without English was the real hint regarding that but still.

It was one specific language that was causing it to spread on base and knowing what that language was helps to slow the progress of the parasite. It was covered in a few of the tapes, but not specifically stated as language being the carrier. It was pretty easy to figure out looking at the commonalties between soldiers who had died and had it down to one of two languages pretty quickly. It also makes sense in context with the radios jammed into peoples throats.

Speaking of, if that parasite was real, that would be one hell of a biological weapon if you wanted to completely eradicate all other native tongues or euthanize entire parts of the world.

Nope. That's not right.

Only those that speak Kikongo can get sick. You should've quarantined all of them only. The game gives a lot of hints.

As for the story in general, lots of strains of the virus exist, each targeting specific languages. The one in MB was for Kikongo. Skull Face eventually tells you what his real plan is; keep going.

Good to know. I was assuming as much on the last part of your spoiler as
there seems to be two major balls in play for him: eradicate all languages but English and give everyone a nuclear weapon he has a personal kill switch for. I know the latter is tied to the parasite, but I need to relisten to the tape that covers that to get a better idea of how that actually works.

I don't think the spoiler subject is missable but I ain't finished yet so don't spoil it.. But doing wandering soldier missions will give you a few more little scenes if you go back to that place.

It is absolutely missable. I'm up to the very end-end of the game, and I didn't know that existed until the Bombcast mentioned it.

Haven't finished the game yet, but I really like his character in this. Dude got played like a damn fiddle.

Can I dismiss the pilot he can't fly straight lines and loves to waste fuel for mother base exposition

When I just want to get from point A to B as quick as possiburu

Use the cardboard box near the main helipad delivery points, the little yellow thing.
Which reminds me, I still haven't found a single delivery point in the open worlds but I'm told they're there.

Use the cardboard box near the main helipad delivery points.
Which reminds me, I still haven't found a single delivery point in the open worlds but I'm told they're there.

They are the orange platforms in the bases, outposts don't have them. They look a bit different than the motherbase ones.

GeekMarty

Use the cardboard box near the main helipad delivery points, the little yellow thing.

468px-Fasttravel.jpg

Drencrom

Nope. That's not right.

It was one specific language that was causing it to spread on base and knowing what that language was helps to slow the progress of the parasite. It was covered in a few of the tapes, but not specifically stated as language being the carrier. It was pretty easy to figure out looking at the commonalties between soldiers who had died and had it down to one of two languages pretty quickly. It also makes sense in context with the radios jammed into peoples throats.

Speaking of, if that parasite was real, that would be one hell of a biological weapon if you wanted to completely eradicate all other native tongues or euthanize entire parts of the world.

Good to know. I was assuming as much on the last part of your spoiler as
there seems to be two major balls in play for him: eradicate all languages but English and give everyone a nuclear weapon he has a personal kill switch for. I know the latter is tied to the parasite, but I need to relisten to the tape that covers that to get a better idea of how that actually works.

Thanks for the clarification. Totally missed that, I guess I spent too much actually looking at their mouths at first and giving up after only looking at my patients when they were a small sample so to say.

Top Bottom