• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain |OT2| A Franchise Robbed Of Its Future

shiba5

So I just completed two of the target practices including the R&D platform. I then jump into the jeep to drive to the third platform for the last target practice and accidentally ran over one of my troops. Game over. Continue from last checkpoint. Takes me back to before I did any of the target practices.

For real?

Oh sure. "Accidentally."

;)

Spoilers regarding events after mission #45 and Quiet

is there any way to get her back on the PC version via mods or something? The fuck? Having her mess around with guards while I sneak was one of the more fun mechanics when I just wanted to fuck around and they take that away from me even in replayable missions?

ced

Is there a way to not have Quiet alert the enemy that she's there? The first guy she started pointing out yelled "Sniper!" And then the whole area went on full alert mode.

The only time I've had her alert anyone is if you order an attack, or put her in cover mode. If you use cover always remember to disable it when you move on otherwise she will go on a rampage. I think if you get attacked she will defend automatically as well.

shiba5

Does that work? Thank god!

The game automatically connects and there is no way to disable that unfortunately. So you'll have to load the game and then disconnect from the main menu before doing anything else. Don't try to open your iDroid as it will lock it and try to make you create the FOB. I can't remember if it will even let you close the iDroid once it's locked into that FOB creation tutorial.
This happens around mission 22.

Would a good way to maximize the number of times you win in FOB invasion be to only build one Command Platform on your FOB, considering it's the most complex platform along with R&D? I think it would also prevent other players from stealing your ressources, as that platform does not host containers.

shiba5

Man, D-Dog is so damn fun to use once your bond gets higher with him and you get some equipment. Having both of you sneak up on a pair of guards, sending him in to attack one and sandwiching the other from the opposite side just feels SO good. I even used that tactic on a set of 3 guards, and I held the one as a meat shield, and tranqed the 3rd with a headshot while he was trying to get to me.

This game, man.

I like using his shock knife. Electrocution dog.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Stop. Seriously, stop. The game is forcing me to do that multiplayer FOB stuff. I just got home from work and i just want to do some damn story missions. Can i skip this if i restart and go offline?
You should make an FoB so that you can send 4 teams on dispatch missions and get more room for staff. Don't really have to manage it.

Chariot

Would a good way to maximize the number of times you win in FOB invasion be to only build one Command Platform on your FOB, considering it's the most complex platform along with R&D?
Just build two or more platforms and get drones. This should beat most people.

Staf

The game automatically connects and there is no way to disable that unfortunately. So you'll have to load the game and then disconnect from the main menu before doing anything else. Don't try to open your iDroid as it will lock it and try to make you create the FOB. I can't remember if it will even let you close the iDroid once it's locked into that FOB creation tutorial.

I already did the tutorial for creating the FOB the other day. Now they tried to force me to attack someone or something. Things like this really kills the pacing of the game.

holy shit...I guess achievement sites have had the wrong list of achievements up for the game. People, including myself, have been trying to obtain achievements that do not exist within the game. Primarily, two achievements for capturing all outposts in afghanistan and africa...these were only listed on the xbox one version, but turns out they do not even exist within the game. Also, they seem to have the achievement listed for reaching lvl 50 with all units listed as reaching lvl 99.

I am wondering if the games achievements went through a last second revision and these somehow slipped through to achievement sites

shiba5

I already did the tutorial for creating the FOB the other day. Now they tried to force me to attack someone or something. Things like this really kills the pacing of the game.

I totally agree. I was getting super pissed off at the forced multiplayer.
They want you to invade your own FOB for practice. I did it and that was the last time it bugged me.

I'm on mission 7 and so far all I got were D-rankings :(

What are general tips to get S or an A ranking? Heck even a B ranking for that matter.

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
Bit of a story/series related question GAF: I'm nearly finished MGS2, about to embark on MGS3 and PW, my question is: should I possibly leave MGS4 for after MGSGZ/V?

Would that be a brilliant or very dumb idea - for those that have played both 4 and V.

I'm loving the story so far, so I guess that is my focus above all.

What are general tips to get S or an A ranking? Heck even a B ranking for that matter.

Complete the mission as fast as possible. You can even kill people. Time is what influences the most your score.

Bit of a story/series related question GAF: I'm nearly finished MGS2, about to embark on MGS3 and PW, my question is: should I possibly leave MGS4 for after MGSGZ/V?

Would that be a brilliant or very dumb idea - for those that have played both 4 and V.

Considering how the ending of MGSV is unfinished because of Konami management, I would encourage you to play MGS4 last. Its conclusion is great.

Nottle

Can someone tell me if there are any other rooms in mother base to see important staff?

I found the Med Bay
Paz
, the med bay jail cell
Quiet
, and the R and D lower deck one
Huey

Is there one for
Eli and the other child soldiers?

brau

Don't take too long. I guess thats the biggest one.

I explore and collect as much as i can too. Extra objectives will give you more points. And a no reflex, no alarms and no kills will give you even more points.

100% accuracy will also give you a lot of extra points.

I dunno... game is weird. because if i engage and shoot everyone it will give me just the same score or better than me trying to be sneaky. Unless i am very fast.

How long do you take on a mission?

J-Skee

You should play MGS4 before MGSV.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member

Be faster, avoid alerting enemies and taking hits.

But really, for a first playthrough, I recommend doing like me and just ignoring ranks or going back and replaying secondary objectives. Just focus on clearing the missions, doing side ops, building up your base, and enjoying the game.

It will be easier, and more fun, to go back for the ranks and objectives later (if you care) when you have more advanced gear. Some secondary objectives are even impossible the first time as you need upgraded gear to do them.

Staf

I totally agree. I was getting super pissed off at the forced multiplayer.
They want you to invade your own FOB for practice. I did it and that was the last time it bugged me.

Think that's the one i'm on. If it's my own bloody base for practice i'm just gonna try and run around and get "killed". Might be faster.

Sifl

Late game Side Ops spoilers:
Was doing a Rescuing the
children
side ops and he was in a tower surrounded by brown bears. I tranq them, climb up the tower, slip then grab onto a ledge, drop and kill him.

shiba5

Think that's the one i'm on. If it's my own bloody base for practice i'm just gonna try and run around and get "killed". Might be faster.

I think it will fail like a normal mission.
Bring a power weapon. They can see you from far away.

Don't take too long. I guess thats the biggest one.

I explore and collect as much as i can too. Extra objectives will give you more points. And a no reflex, no alarms and no kills will give you even more points.

100% accuracy will also give you a lot of extra points.

I dunno... game is weird. because if i engage and shoot everyone it will give me just the same score or better than me trying to be sneaky. Unless i am very fast.

How long do you take on a mission?
This is where I suck. I play MGSV like I'm playing Commandoes: Behind Enemy Lines. Meaning I take way too long. This is because I want to tag everything with my binoculars, study the patrols, plan an entry and an escape route, and figure out the best traveling salesman strategy to hit all the goals. I'd have assumed that a game that allows you to employ stealth would give you leeway in devising a strategy.

RangerBAD

Fuck I had the ending spoiled and I'm only on episode 9.
I thought someone was starting their playthrough (they were in the introduction) and, yeah... People were already throwing around Big Medic opening in some places, so I kind of put it together before this, but I wasn't sure! ; ;

brau

This is where I suck. I play MGSV like I'm playing Commandoes: Behind Enemy Lines. Meaning I take way too long. This is because I want to tag everything with my binoculars, study the patrols, plan an entry and an escape route, and figure out the best traveling salesman strategy to hit all the goals. I'd have assumed that a game that allows you to employ stealth would give you leeway in devising a strategy.

There is nothing you get from an S rank that will help you move through teh story. I would just advise you to have fun and take the time you need.

You are not missing out on a secret unlock. Everything you get from S rank is just emblem stuff.

Just have fun :)

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I think it will fail like a normal mission.
Bring a power weapon. They can see you from far away.

Or just sneak it. Climb the AC "poles" and clamber over your decks. All you have to do is reach the top, pop the AI "invader" and you win. It's easy.

There is nothing you get from an S rank that will help you move through teh story. I would just advise you to have fun and take the time you need.

You are not missing out on a secret unlock. Everything you get from S rank is just emblem stuff.

Advice heeded. Onward with chick ranking!

Sifl

are you sure you sent the message to the right person? My inbox is empty
I actually sent it twice cause I noticed my sent folder was empty, but that didn't go through either. I'll just paste what I typed here, sorry if it is the wrong tape.
Anyone else that reads this, this is a Chapter 2 spoiler:

Huey is questioned about what he was doing in his lab. He reveals Strangelove developed the Metal Gears AI and that SkullFace killed her. Ocelot questions that suggesting he killed her by trapping her in the pod suffocating her, then Huey claims she killed herself. Ocelot then says there was a scar on her abdomen, leading to Huey admitting they had a child, Hal.

Vaga

Perfect.

45 actually. Hm, I just assumed it would be the Intel team, but maybe it's some other factor entirely.

There is no other reason for a delivery point to appear on the map other than obtaining the invoice and thus unlock it for fast travel.

It doesn't make sense to have points on map that you can't travel to.

I have a question for people who have completed everything.
I just finished chapter 1, and got Volgin from a side mission.
My question is: do I need to do the extra hard missions (the blue ones) to unlock some cinematics and other stuff related to the scenario ? Or can I simply do the yellow missions ?

Staf

Cheers for this information. I'm also one who tends to take my time sneaking around. The damn timer stresses me the f out.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Play as you want, just enjoy the game on your first playthrough. Once you get better gear and know the maps well, S rank will come very easily.

Korosenai

The only time I've had her alert anyone is if you order an attack, or put her in cover mode. If you use cover always remember to disable it when you move on otherwise she will go on a rampage. I think if you get attacked she will defend automatically as well.
What do you mean cover mode exactly?

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.

The scores don't really matter your first time through, play how you like.

jett

D-Member
Okay, I'm really sad to say this... but
these 'boss fights' with the Skull forces are fucking horrible and dreadful. Like seriously, they just throw you in a big open area with these fuckers jumping around and shooting you. I've fought them several times now and it's just not fun at all. Are you supposed to just run around and shoot them with RPGs and shit and occasionally press the CQC button when they come at you? I really don't get it.

What the fuck was Kojima thinking with this shit...

Lol. Those fights are literally the only time where D-Walker proves useful. Use the Gatling Gun. Done.

Top Bottom