• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain |OT2| A Franchise Robbed Of Its Future

Jintor

Okay, (mission 25 spoilers)
my soldiers are dying because of this disease that is going and ocelot/miller is talking like I'm supposed to know the source of the disease with their hints about their mouths and quiet etc. But I can't find a link for shit. Am I really supposed to figure this shit out before it's too late? I quarantined the two medical staff members you picked up in mission 24, they were in contact with the disease so I thought it was a nobrainer but the disease is still killing my staff...

I guess I just want a clarification; am i really supposed to figure this out on my own or is this some story thing that will be resolved on it's own later in a mission?

both

Hystzen

Level 3 cage and still keep getting gerbils fucking hell.

Maybe Kaz should order c4 planted on them and let them loose in a outpost got that many gerbils I could leave nothing but a crater behind

mission 3 can be done in 90 seconds by firing a single rocket

ill edit in the link in a few min

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=esbUO98lW5Y

here it is
his method uses two rockets but i found u can do it with one.
when u scope in with your rocket-preferebly the grom.
dont fire off the first warning rocket,
aim for the bottom right window
the targets in that room.
itll kill him
then u hop on d horse or a vehicle and do a 180 back to mission start which is right behind you and down the road
rinse and repeat.
i was averaging 90 second completions for 1600 heroism each time

Artex

Banned
I'm the opposite. I can't stop playing once I start. Of course I don't really travel around the world, I just Return to ACC and drop at the nearest LZ for side ops.

Also didn't know about that map shortcut for Quiet. Thanks guys!
In the past week I've done three complete 8 hour sessions. I can't put it down and it's ruining my life. I love it!

shiba5

Level 3 cage and still keep getting gerbils fucking hell.

Maybe Kaz should order c4 planted on them and let them loose in a outpost got that many gerbils I could leave nothing but a crater behind

How do you use the cage? Do you just drop it anywhere? Does it automatically collect or do you have to check it yourself?

Sifl

I haven't gotten a single female soldier with a good combat stat. All of them have S+ ratings, but it's for medical and support units.

Sifl

I've always wondered this. Thought it couldn't be as simple as leaving it and it auto-collects, can it?

How do you use the cage? Do you just drop it anywhere? Does it automatically collect or do you have to check it yourself?
That's it. Put them down and go do a side op/mission.
Edit: If you do a side ops and do "Return to Acc" it might not tell you your captures.

Haha.

Won't need a South African interpreter. I speak Afrikaans. God the accent is going to bed. It always is.

Would be amazing if the game asked you at the begging what all languages you speak or understand and then skip the interpreter missions completely, with Ocelot saying something cool
"you're not gonna extract him too?"

Sifl

sensazionale

Cool. Guess I'll be getting some gerbils.

I spent a lot of time picking up hedgehogs, but only one ever showed up at the zoo. :(
In case you don't see my edit, it tells you what you captured on the rewards screen. So if you do the return to helicopter instantly trick when doing a side ops you won't get captures (I think). So you gotta call in a chopper and leave that way.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Not at all

It might seem like splitting hairs but
the traditional format of a Metal Gear game is the completion of a mission. In this case its building mother-base and exacting revenge upon Skullface, and that is completed in Chapter 1. The stuff in chapter to 2 mainly embellishes around that and acts as connective tissue to the canon of the saga. Its all good stuff, but mainly serves to close up lingering questions from the prologue

I personally think its a positive thing that the story is broken up like this. The plot convolution of previous Metal Gears was largely cosmetic in that it was either a genre trope (MGS3) or a pretext to move from location to location encountering new bosses/enemies (pretty much every other main entry barring PW).

Strip that away and it invariably comes down to a simple man-on-a-mission scenario which is hardly the height of storytelling sophistication.

MGSV is laid out a bit differently, but to say its got less plot than the more traditional just seems wrong to me. I think the story and the themes explored within TPP are just fine.

OmegaX0

In case you don't see my edit, it tells you what you captured on the rewards screen. So if you do the return to helicopter instantly trick when doing a side ops you won't get captures (I think). So you gotta call in a chopper and leave that way.

Side Ops work if you let it reach a checkpoint.

I think Sifl got it right, I always use the menu to go back to ACC after side ops and I never noticed any captures.

D23

I'm about to go to Africa and have yet to see DD. He used to greet me when I land in mother base now he's nowhere to be seen.

Sorry if already answered, but what do I do with the Tapes such as "Recorded in Toilet" or "African Lullaby" or "Quiet's humming"? My iDroid has the speaker upgrade, but I don't see any of the tapes affecting guards.

EDIT: Thanks for the answers. Too bad I can't use any of them as Helicopter music either.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Sorry if already answered, but what do I do with the Tapes such as "Recorded in Toilet" or "African Lullaby" or "Quiet's humming"? My iDroid has the speaker upgrade, but I don't see any of the tapes affecting guards.

Humming: Helps your aim (but it breaks)
Toliet: Get in a toliet during an alert and play it. Guards won't check the toliet.

These taps all break and you have to refind them, AFAIK. Not worth it. You can just quaff diazpam for Quiet's effect.

I felt like a genius when I thought (I'm around Ch. 15ish, re: "secret" cutscene on Mother Base)
playing some tapes to Paz would bring back her memory
but no such luck.

I was rescuing everyone, and then I heard over the comms that they were about to execute the interpreter. DD immediately tagged the soldier and the interpreter. I run like a bat out of hell across camp with DD in tow. I run into the room, and right as the soldier is about to point the gun, I grab him, choke him out, and fulton him out of the area.

「待たせたな?」/"Kept you waiting, huh?"

Dammit, my emblem is Naked Chick too! No fair. :(

Here's the video of the end of my run on mission 14. Didn't think to record from the start so I only got the last 5 of the 20.

http://xboxclips.com/Cjslax6/389fd6a5-8249-4dd2-8082-c287a946e702

Finished with a score of 146k so I can't complain :)

This. Flaming Buffalo is the best soldier in my Combat unit, but even after a short sprint it sounds like she's suffocating.

I think she's everyone's best until you find a better one yourself, since she's given to you by the game.
Though I like my Pouncing Harrier better, her name even fits my emblem kinda.

Hasney

Or just hold up, get down, where are the others, spit it out people. +5 for each. May not be as much but you don't need to worry about retaliation invasions.

What I'm wondering is, why the hell haven't I gotten the codename "Hero" yet? Apparently you get that at 100,000 Heroism, and... I'm wayyyyy beyond that.

Have you got all the other codenames? It's 150k, plus all the other codenames I believe. I've got the trophy for getting past 150k, but because of one codename I physically can't get, I can't get hero status.

Mission 46
Tutorial again? Really? REALLY? Twist was not all that surprising. Not like that MGS2 Kojima troll of the decade situation.

I guess I just need to trigger 45 and I'm done.

I haven't tried the toilet tape yet but I imagine if you have the idroid speaker equipped it'll hold off a guard from searching the toilet you're hiding in. I'll have to try it out.

SmithnCo

This. Flaming Buffalo is the best soldier in my Combat unit, but even after a short sprint it sounds like she's suffocating.

Yeah, they just had to give her the weezing voice, lol.

At least it'll give me something to look out for. Otherwise I'd just use her.

Hasney

Does the shooting soldiers in the junk to get female soldiers work? Done it quite a bit, but nothing yet. I am using a tranq sniper though so it might have to be lethal.

What codename is that?

Butterfly, although someone got it on mission 40 so maybe I can, or his bugged a little.

muteki

Mission 11,12:

I seem to be good at walking unexpectedly into story missions, as twice now (with 11 and 12) I have headed out thinking I was doing a small side op and that turned into something bigger. Still haven't done 10. Nice I guess to break the monotony.

I didn't have too much trouble with 12 as I lucked up on the way in with a sandstorm and just ran back to the hanger out in the open, and alerts were bound to happen on the way out anyway. Wasn't expecting MG to show up which was a nice surprise, but damn if that wasn't a bit too easy of a "fight" though. Snuck around him pretty easy and he only could withstand a few seconds of the heli guns, I was expecting more.

First use of DDog too and he does a great job at marking enemies. Just wish they showed up on my map instead of just my view.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Extremely late game (missions 40+) spoilers/question:
Okay so the Skull Face story (Chapter 1) has come to its conclusion. I've done the clean up job in Mother Base quarantine. And I just got some tapes where Huey is accused of parasite shenanigans. Do I just keep playing side ops or what?

If you dont like the game you should stop playing, but you gotta keep playing to get
the "real" ending

Top Bottom