• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain |OT2| A Franchise Robbed Of Its Future

Setsuna

The game punishes you hard for having an upgraded helicopter

"You want a different weapon dropped that will be 60k"

"You want air support that will be 60k. Oh shit we blew up that will be 100k extra"

I actually sent it twice cause I noticed my sent folder was empty, but that didn't go through either. I'll just paste what I typed here, sorry if it is the wrong tape.
Anyone else that reads this, this is a Chapter 2 spoiler:

Huey is questioned about what he was doing in his lab. He reveals Strangelove developed the Metal Gears AI and that SkullFace killed her. Ocelot questions that suggesting he killed her by trapping her in the pod suffocating her, then Huey claims she killed herself. Ocelot then says there was a scar on her abdomen, leading to Huey admitting they had a child, Hal.

thanks a lot, really sad that i got this glitch! I've got every other tape up to 7, but not the third

shiba5

Ok Thank you very much for the confirmation....

I am mad, or did they say that at some point you could opt out of this ???

Was it mistranslation ?

There's an old tweet that said the FOB was completely optional. What they apparently meant is that it's completely optional if you never connect to their servers.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
guys i see there is a locked room in the medical platform and i kinda heard what is behind it but want to see it for myself.

how can i enter the room? Im on mission 42. did i pass the point of no return to unlock that room?

I think the room you want is on the floor above that

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Ok Thank you very much for the confirmation....

I am mad, or did they say that at some point you could opt out of this ???

Was it mistranslation ?

No it wasn't a mistranslation. They literally said "it's an optional thing. You can opt-out of F.O.B."'s

Fucking bulllllllllllllllllllllllllllshit with the current situation.

shiba5

guys i see there is a locked room in the medical platform and i kinda heard what is behind it but want to see it for myself.

how can i enter the room? Im on mission 42. did i pass the point of no return to unlock that room?

Did you do any of the wandering soldier side quests?

Khronico

It's can always be invaded - even offline. So if you get invaded, the next time your game connects to the network, it will sync the FOB and record any losses.
Great system, right??
/s

I haven't logged in since last week since I got my first FOB and am legitimately scared to do so, who knows how many times I've been invaded 0_0

TheSeks

The game punishes you hard for having an upgraded helicopter

"You want a different weapon dropped that will be 60k"

"You want air support that will be 60k. Oh shit we blew up that will be 100k extra"

The game punishes you for even switching up your items.

"Oh you want an upgraded or different gun? That'll be 20K for deployment."

Ralemont

not me
I'd like to use Quiet more in missions, but it seems like most of the time, she ends up buggering off to a different part of the map and I never see her for the rest of the mission. I can't issue any commands.

What do I do in these situations?

You should always be able to issue commands. Go into your idroid to Buddy Support and you can tell her either to scout an encampment or select Attack to tell her to move to specific spot.

If she gets shot at too much, though, she'll move.

16BitNova

Having a high bond with Quiet triggers side-op 150 and episode 45. She leaves Motherbase once side-op 150 is available.
The Butterfly emblem stops SO 150 and ep 45 from starting.

I'm jumping in since I want to know this stuff too.
So having it ON keeps the missions from starting? Or having it OFF? Also does the game hint for you to do this at all? Or was it all just figured out and spread through Internet talk?

No, it was in the completely english demonstration of the FOB system.

There's an old tweet that said the FOB was completely optional. What they apparently meant is that it's completely optional if you never connect to their servers.

No it wasn't a mistranslation. They literally said "it's an optional thing. You can opt-out of F.O.B."'s

Fucking bulllllllllllllllllllllllllllshit with the current situation.

WOW.

That is some. Serious. Bullshit.

It's the exact same fight as the one you have with Quiet, except there's more of them.

I don't get what's so bad about having more
sniper boss battles. Especially when Sniper Wolf, The End and Quiet were all so good. The fight with Quiet was during the day and The Skulls was in the middle of a Mist. I honestly found sneaking around and finding their positions really fun. *shrug* Sorry you didn't but that's on you guys.

Khronico

Do you have the PC version? If so I can tell you how to avoid any losses.

Yeah I'm on PC.

I'd be eager to learn how to avoid losing a ton of stuff, it's already annoying enough managing my meager resources trying to save up for the 4th level platforms.

I accidentally went online after a week, and nothing happened.

First night after I made mine I was invaded nearly 50 times by random people.

It wasn't great.

usp84

Having a high bond with Quiet triggers side-op 150 and episode 45. She leaves Motherbase once side-op 150 is available.

So you either
lose Quiet or you dont do these missions?

Yeah I'm on PC.

I'd be eager to learn how to avoid losing a ton of stuff, it's already annoying enough managing my meager resources trying to save up for the 4th level platforms.

It wasn't great.

Lol wow...maybe it's because I never did the tutorial, I mean the game told me to do so, but somehow I skipped it.

Furyous

Finally developed
stealth camo
and can't wait to take out villains. Fuck mission 12 multiple times in multiple places. I spent an hour sneaking through the mission not getting caught on the first part. Did the same on the second part only to run into a roadblock finishing the mission by exiting the game. Keep in mind this was two hours of work up to that point. The game restarts me from the main area of the mission and forces me to start over again. At that point I snuck past everyone in part 1 of that part then went rambo on the second area but kept losing to the final thing in the mission.

Is the
stealth camo
better than the
chicken hat
?

MayMay

Banned
The ridiculous increase in costs for using upgraded items is punishing, though. Seriously, an extra few thousand GMP for carrying a couple more phantom cigars? It adds up.

Yeah, but do you need all these phantom cigars?

I dunno, I feel like my "end-game" loadout with a deployment cost of 37k is pretty reasonable. And I'm already packing a ton of shit I don't really need - stuff I'm just taking with me "just in case".

I'm jumping in since I want to know this stuff too.
So having it ON keeps the missions from starting? Or having it OFF? Also does the game hint for you to do this at all? Or was it all just figured out and spread through Internet talk?

So you either
lose Quiet or you dont do these missions?
Use the emblem to keep her, don't use it to see the ending to her storyline. Which is quite good imo so I recommend doing it at some point.

Edzi

Reposting for new page:

So earlier in the thread I saw people talking about having to equip a butterfly emblem if I want to keep Quiet, and also something about not being able to get a platinum/all missions if I don't "lose" Quiet. I have no idea what any of this means or is referring to, so can someone fill me in without spoiling anything?

Edzi

You get emblems throughout the game, the emblem he's refering to is the one you get for getting the BUTTERFLY codename.

Yeah, but why were people saying you should equip it? People seemed to indicate that it had something to do with Quiet later on in the game.

Chariot

I can't wait for MGO. Will it have its own OT or just discussed in here?
I think it's worth an own thread since it's a seperate thing, right? I already forgot was the gameplay was supposed to be.
Yeah, but why were people saying you should equip it? People seemed to indicate that it had something to do with Quiet later on in the game.
Yes. Spoilers:
She will leave you permanently at some point. But the mission where she does so won't trigger when you have the Emblem.

Edzi

Hm, okay, so the idea is to have max bond with Quiet, and to NOT equip the Butterfly emblem? Or is it something to do with getting that emblem on a mission? Seems weird that just equipping a cosmetic thing would affect the games missions so much...

shiba5

Yeah I'm on PC.

It wasn't great.

Under your steam userdata folder is a folder called 311340 that has your MGSV saves in it. After you close the game and Steam finishes its sync, make a backup of 311340. Next time you start the game, if you have been invaded, quit the game and restore that folder. The catch is you have to remember to back up that folder every time you quit the game.
So what I do is log on and check if I've been invaded. If I haven't, I disconnect from the network and play. When I quit, I make a new copy of 311340.

Real Hero

Hm, okay, so the idea is to have max bond with Quiet, and to NOT equip the Butterfly emblem? Or is it something to do with getting that emblem on a mission? Seems weird that just equipping a cosmetic thing would affect the games missions so much...

It's just a way to stop the story development for people who really want to keep a certain game play element.

TheSeks

"punishes"

If 20k deployment cost is punishing to you, then I don't know.

It punishes you for "increase in stopping power." That's literally it. +10 more ammo, +2 in penetration (which won't help against FULLY ARMORED AND RIOTED ENEMIES), along with using special items REQUIRING A MEAGER ELEMENT to deploy with (Precious Metal).

Why would I use the items they advertised (
Hand of Jehuty, Stealth Camo, Bandana)
) when they want me to spend 20 of that resource and that resource is barely on the maps in general for deployment?

Why would I spend 5000K more GMP along with plants for the ability to knock someone out faster?

The deployment cost is a punishment for researching items and wanting better equipment. You're better off using the magazines, using Quiet for cover and choking the hell out of people. The only "benefit increase cost" that is worthwhile is upgrading your scope and fultons.

Reebot

Yeah, but do you need all these phantom cigars?

Well then what's the point in the first place?

Either its an upgrade or its not. If its an upgrade, its pretty silly to deter the player from ever using it. If its not, then why bother including it in the development process?

Top Bottom