• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain |OT2| A Franchise Robbed Of Its Future

Xanathus

Under your steam userdata folder is a folder called 311340 that has your MGSV saves in it. After you close the game and Steam finishes its sync, make a backup of 311340. Next time you start the game, if you have been invaded, quit the game and restore that folder. The catch is you have to remember to back up that folder every time you quit the game.
So what I do is log on and check if I've been invaded. If I haven't, I disconnect from the network and play. When I quit, I make a new copy of 311340.
Wouldn't you also lose all the resources processed by the FOB during that period? I guarantee you the potential losses from invasion pale in comparison to that.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Wouldn't you also lose all the resources processed by the FOB during that period? I guarantee you the potential losses from invasion pale in comparison to that.

Yes, but who cares about those resources when you can get about as much as the F.O.B.'s automatic mining just doing
Mission 21's airport, checkpoint, quit to ACC, rinse and repeat for 7000 fuel etc.
that you then have to wait for refining that won't get invade ate?

16BitNova

Hm, okay, so the idea is to have max bond with Quiet, and to NOT equip the Butterfly emblem? Or is it something to do with getting that emblem on a mission? Seems weird that just equipping a cosmetic thing would affect the games missions so much...

I agree 100%. This is very NOT Metal Gear to me. Like just give me the story and don't hide it behind some little trick like this.

Any glitches or loopholes that I can take advantage of so I can do the harder missions? The subsistence ones are a pain.
I'm too used to having the best gear.

shiba5

Yes, but if you want the benefit of expanded staff without the risk of losing them, I think this is the only way around it.

Hm, okay, so the idea is to have max bond with Quiet, and to NOT equip the Butterfly emblem? Or is it something to do with getting that emblem on a mission? Seems weird that just equipping a cosmetic thing would affect the games missions so much...
If you want to see the end of her story, get her bond up and play normally. Side-Op 150 will trigger towards the end of the game and she will be unavailable for future missions. Using the butterfly as your Motherbase emblem prevents the missions from starting and forces her to stay.
The emblem is obtained by getting the Butterfly code name several times in a row.

Xanathus

Yes, but who cares about those resources when you can get about as much as the F.O.B.'s automatic mining just doing
Mission 21's airport, checkpoint, quit to ACC, rinse and repeat for 7000 fuel etc.
that you then have to wait for refining that won't get invade ate?

Because doing that puts unprocessed fuel into your Motherbase which processes separately from the FOB. So you're losing out on the processing being done from the FOB. I mean really if you're going to be so paranoid about FOB and resort to that, you might as well be save editing your file for max resources and staff.

Blader

Just past Chp 11. A couple of quick questions

1, Where do I find DD on motherbase? Developmental Platform? I can't find him despite Miller's assertions that I visit him.

2, I inadvertently triggered a Medic Bay scene with Paz not knowing I should have been exploring the platforms looking for moments like these. Are there any other early game secrets I should know about early on (please no story related spoilers)
Wait, I just finished 13, and re: your second question,
did you mean Kaz? Or is Paz in this game and I've missed an opportunity to trigger a scene with her?

I agree 100%. This is very NOT Metal Gear to me. Like just give me the story and don't hide it behind some little trick like this.

(Spoilers)

The "trick" is how you avoid triggering the story event. Equip the Butterfly on your emblem and the even will not happen. If you play the game without equipping the Butterfly on your emblem, the event will occur automatically.

I actually have a question about it.

Is it really irreversible? Is it really impossible to use that character as a buddy even after beating everything in the game? No new game plus anything? If so, that is truly disappointing, since the game has only a persistent save system, no way to reload to previous points, or start over without losing everything... I almost want to just avoid that outcome altogether and just watch the conclusion if that's the case. Could someone please confirm whether the final part of the game is really worth playing?

Is it really irreversible? Is it really impossible to use that character as a buddy even after beating everything in the game? No new game plus anything? If so, that is truly disappointing, since the game has only a persistent save system, no way to reload to previous points, or start over without losing everything... I almost want to just avoid that outcome altogether and just watch the conclusion if that's the case. Could someone please confirm whether the final part of the game is really worth playing?

Once she's gone, she's gone.

Spazznid

(Spoilers)

The "trick" is how you avoid triggering the story event. Equip the Butterfly on your emblem and the even will not happen. If you play the game without equipping the Butterfly on your emblem, the event will occur automatically.

PC Mods.

(Spoilers)

Are you on ps4?
Do both.
backup a save before initiating those events.
then play them and judge for yourself.
If you found it not worth it restore the save

PHOTOSHOP

The
SKULLS
were cool at first but having to fight them in EXTREME mode is just annoying. damn filler missions. Any good tips for getting rid of them quick? i been using Machine gun that has like 100 rounds.

TheSeks

Because doing that puts unprocessed fuel into your Motherbase which processes separately from the FOB. So you're losing out on the processing being done from the FOB. I mean really if you're going to be so paranoid about FOB and resort to that, you might as well be save editing your file for max resources and staff.

Except you get MORE from doing that in a shorter time than the F.O.B.'s automatic mining.

Mine does 200 fuel. The above does 7000 unprocessed. Within the same timeframe, I'm still going to be processing that 7000 (and more if I exploit checkpoints) over the what... 1,000? 3,000? automatic mining.

The game punishes you hard for having an upgraded helicopter

"You want a different weapon dropped that will be 60k"

"You want air support that will be 60k. Oh shit we blew up that will be 100k extra"
Can't you equip the older one though?

I don't know because I haven't bothered upgrading the helicopter any.

The
SKULLS
were cool at first but having to fight them in EXTREME mode is just annoying. damn filler missions. Any good tips for getting rid of them quick? i been using Machine gun that has like 100 rounds.
Plant c4 on the ground and lure one over it. It does an obscene amount of damage to them.

TheSeks

Can't you equip the older one though?

I don't know because I haven't bothered upgrading the helicopter any.

Yes. But our point is, if you want to USE the upgrades you have to eat a significant cost to use it. It's not just the cost of developing it, to DEPLOY you have to eat more than the defaults. So... why would you use the upgrades?

I get what they want to go for (manage your costs and deployment costs) but it is kinda counter-intuitive that the costs blow up more for a few more rounds and a bit more stopping power along with faster helicopter deployment speed.

MMaRsu

Just passed mission 31 last night. Amazing mzission, hard as nails but it felt like true mgs shit.

So sad so much shit got cut tho.. Im dreading continuing

MayMay

Banned
There's never a lack of GMP though, yea sure the items that require other stuff to deploy - I get - but the GMP requirements?

Question about the quarantine:

Is language the only way to determine who may be infected? Half of my army speaks Kikongo! Will they get better? Will all of them die? If I extract more soldiers with that language, do I move them as well? I have a few soldiers with a cross on the box, and I can't move them to quarantine yet.

Gah. Disaster!

Xanathus

Except you get MORE from doing that in a shorter time than the F.O.B.'s automatic mining.

Mine does 200 fuel. The above does 7000 unprocessed. Within the same timeframe, I'm still going to be processing that 7000 (and more if I exploit checkpoints) over the what... 1,000? 3,000? automatic mining.

But it's not an either/or situation, you can just do both. FOB invasions can't take any resources from the stuff you've fultoned in the game. So reverting your save only means that you don't get the processed materials from the FOB and save a few staff members that might have been lost in invasions.

asked last night, did not get a response... perhaps that means no.

but

Can you snipe chopper pilots through the cockpit? Those gunships are a bitch to take down without an RPG, and I'd like to think a well aimed shot straight into the pilots head will do the trick?

brau

asked last night, did not get a response... perhaps that means no.

but

Can you snipe chopper pilots through the cockpit? Those gunships are a bitch to take down without an RPG, and I'd like to think a well aimed shot straight into the pilots head will do the trick?

Yes.

shiba5

Is language the only way to determine who may be infected? Half of my army speaks Kikongo! Will they get better? Will all of them die? If I extract more soldiers with that language, do I move them as well? I have a few soldiers with a cross on the box, and I can't move them to quarantine yet.

Gah. Disaster!

Quarantine them. I only lost 3 guys
Then power through mission 29. That's the best way to minimize the damage.

Yes. But our point is, if you want to USE the upgrades you have to eat a significant cost to use it. It's not just the cost of developing it, to DEPLOY you have to eat more than the defaults. So... why would you use the upgrades?

I get what they want to go for (manage your costs and deployment costs) but it is kinda counter-intuitive that the costs blow up more for a few more rounds and a bit more stopping power along with faster helicopter deployment speed.
Doesn't seem counter-intuitive, seems like exactly what they were going for. An economy system. While combat is more viable a play style than ever it is clear that they want to keep the game from just being a bombing run on every mission. Even the story is frequently mentioning cost and logistics of war.

TheSeks

But it's not an either/or situation, you can just do both. FOB invasions can't take any resources from the stuff you've fultoned in the game. So reverting your save only means that you don't get the processed materials from the FOB and save a few staff members that might have been lost in invasions.

And that's what most of us care about. Most of us don't care about F.O.B. processed minerals when again, you can get a faster increase doing checkpoint exploiting at airports for the same increase.

"Oh but they're entirely separate?!"

Again: Who cares? Oh noes, the 200-3,000 minerals that I could've gotten in a 24 hour period and have had stolen along with staff is lost! *yawn and revert to save that doesn't have staff loss and get 7,000+ within 5 minutes of play start*

Doesn't seem counter-intuitive, seems like exactly what they were going for. An economy system. While combat is more viable a play style than ever it is clear that they want to keep the game from just being a bombing run on every mission. Even the story is frequently mentioning cost and logistics of war.

No, I get that. Bombing Runs and Resupply drops? Sure, eat my GMP.

Me wanting to get to a mission within 30 seconds over the two minute intro swooping in? No, don't eat my fucking GMP for upgrading for the sake of "better performance."

Soulflarz

Banned

Gah. Disaster!

Move all of those, it's the ONLY WAY

Alt method (and answer to if it goes away)
do like 3 story missions lol

Can someone explain something about an emblem in a non spoilery way please?

I know it involves Quiet somehow, that I have to use a butterfly emblem, I'm just not sure on when I should use and for how long, any non spoilery help would be much appreciated.

Xanathus

And that's what most of us care about. Most of us don't care about F.O.B. processed minerals when again, you can get a faster increase doing checkpoint exploiting at airports for the same increase.

"Oh but they're entirely separate?!"

Again: Who cares? Oh noes, the 200-3,000 minerals that I could've gotten in a 24 hour period and have had stolen along with staff is lost! *yawn and revert to save that doesn't have staff loss and get 7,000+ within 5 minutes of play start*

Your 7000+ number is only unprocessed resources which can only be processed while you're actively playing the game. The staff you lose are randomly selected and even then if you're actively fultoning out enemies you end up having a glut of surplus staff. So what happens is you end up LOSING all the processed materials from the FOB when you revert your save. And processed materials (fuel) is the most important resource in the game for MB progression. You're not just losing 1 type of processed resource, you're losing ALL the processed resource by the FOB during the time frame where you were offline.

Sifl

Can someone explain something about an emblem in a non spoilery way please?

I know it involves Quiet somehow, that I have to use a butterfly emblem, I'm just not sure on when I should use and for how long, any non spoilery help would be much appreciated.
You have to meet certain requirements to get it. If you aren't using it by a certain point in the story something happens.

Drencrom

I just finished Mission 31 and...

holy hell, I almost started writing a rant about how awful the story was when the long ass credits rolled.

I was in utter shock at first when I thought the story actually ended like that lol

Sifl

I have the emblem already, do you know what point I have to start using it at?
Yea but if you don't want any spoilers it will be difficult to say exactly.
To be safe use it before you do Mission
. That isn't the cutoff, but it has some other benefits.

Yea but if you don't want any spoilers it will be difficult to say exactly.
To be safe use it before you do Mission
. That isn't the cutoff, but it has some other benefits.

I'm past that point but I appreciate the answer, I'll probably have to do a second playthrough at this point lol.

Top Bottom