• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain |OT2| A Franchise Robbed Of Its Future

Divius

Episode 18:
Saving the children. Annoying. I got in the chopper with one kid on my back assuming the other kids would jump in. They didn't and we took off. "You're just going to leave them behind?!" Yes I am.
Mission completed. S rank. Not going back.

Timeaisis

You rush the missions alone and it should be fine. A lot of people recommend it. I would not, just do it the way the game intended.

I spent about an hour
quarentining people
and still didn't hit everyone so I said fuck it and just starting playing story missions. I've lost like 9 or so dudes.

The decision to put this shit in the game makes absolutely no sense.

Groof

So I was doing episode 21 and then
Miller calls and tells me MB is under attack. So I go to protect it and it's episode 22.
Does this usually happen?

iMax

I don't understand. (Ep 46 spoilers)
Just finished and found out in the credits that Eli was Liquid Snake. Kind of a weird way to confirm that, no? Last tape I heard was that the DNA results were a mismatch. Now obviously, that makes sense now, but nothing has been shown to me that says definitely that it's Liquid.

SRTtoZ

Episode 18:
Saving the children. Annoying. I got in the chopper with one kid on my back assuming the other kids would jump in. They didn't and we took off. "You're just going to leave them behind?!" Yes I am.

Stupid fucking mission. They never listened at all. I put the wait command on so I could go ahead and clear a few enemies and they just ran out and followed anyway alerting them.

J-Skee

Good... i would recommend getting the white version tho. With the Shinkawa art. It looks better. Tho the dark one looks cool. It also includes a giant map.

It has a lot of history, lore and concept art and what not of the game, and its all segmented to avoid too many spoilers.

Best to look at after you play the game. Unless you want to answer a question.

Tho some mechanics have been interesting to read in the book.

Wait, there's a version with Shinkawa at on the front?

Nottle

A satire of fantasy? No, not really. Some joke weapons and stuff that makes no sense exists, but in no way is mgs made with the purpose of satire.
That's debatable, I would say each of the games have elements of satire, the games like to point out flaws of typical action tropes, and the tropes of it's own series.

MGS 1 and 2 sort of bring to light the problems with the heroic figure and hero worship, especially when you get to MGS2. MGS2 could sort of be viewed as a satire of MGS1 and sequels in general, then MGS3 pokes fun at MGS2 with the Raikov character and the design of the Metal Gear mech.
MGR has a few references to MGS4 that feel like jabs to that games story.

Xanathus

Just finished and found out in the credits that Eli was Liquid Snake. Kind of a weird way to confirm that, no? Last tape I heard was that the DNA results were a mismatch. Now obviously, that makes sense now, but nothing has been shown to me that says definitely that it's Liquid.

The DNA results are a mismatch because the guy you're playing (Venom Snake) isn't Big Boss

Sifl

Wow Mission 38 is infuriating to S rank. Either you're too slow or the objective is in an inconvienant spot and you get detected too easily.

Audioboxer

Stay inside, call a bunch of airstrikes on the big tanks, and then use rockets and C4 on the smaller ones. It can be frustrating, though, yeah.

What a thrill...

It's when the
airborne
threat shows up I keep dying lol.

Sadly spoiled myself looking for some tips on mission 45 :(

Skatterd

Episode 18:

I
tranq'd them all, airlifted in a truck, threw them all in the bed and fultoned it out. Worked lol.

WARNING, IT CAN BE TEMPTING TO REVEAL WHAT'S BEHIND SPOILER TAGS, BUT THIS IS LATE GAME STUFF, DON'T DO IT UNLESS YOU'VE BEATEN THE GAME.

Moving on.

Once she's gone, she's gone.

fd7.png

Not on PC (probably will get it on that eventually, just PS4 for now ATM). Good to know though.

Are you on ps4?
Do both.
backup a save before initiating those events.
then play them and judge for yourself.
If you found it not worth it restore the save

So can I play online during this? Will the servers record my game progress and override any backups, or is it really only for FOB stuff? Also, is there a way to backup these saves without having PS+? I let my PS+ expire recently, going to renew it soon for MGO3, so I was wondering if there is a reliable way of backing this up besides using PS+.

If I can I will probably just backup the save, do the stuff to get to the end and then restore the backup and never try to trigger the end again.
It is too high a cost, and legitimately angering for story events to restrict gameplay permanently in a game with no built-in way to backup and reverse progress. Especially because a big part of the game is repeating missions and events that have already occurred. Why restrict replays of past events with current buddies?

I just finished Mission 31 and...

holy hell, I almost started writing a rant about how awful the story was when the long ass credits rolled.

I was in utter shock at first when I thought the story actually ended like that lol

I agree that the story up to Mission 31 leaves a lot to be desired. As you are still in the early parts of Chapter 2 I won't say anything about it. I'll just say that for me, Mission 31 and the things that happen in Chapter 1 in general, remove any chance of the game picking up the majority of the narrative in my opinion, namely the number of story threads ended unsatisfactorily and abruptly.

I'm not actually finished with Chapter 2, but unfortunately I've been accidentally spoiled on so many things in it I don't care about most of the rest of the story.

Zakalwe

Banned
My god, the soundtrack for this game is incredible. The track 'A Phantom Pain' might be one of my favourite songs of all time.

Edzi

Once she's gone, she's gone.

First the forced FOB garbage, and now this? I was really looking forward to just messing around in the game after getting through the story, but this is a serious bummer.

It is too high a cost, and legitimately angering for story events to restrict gameplay permanently in a game with no built-in way to backup and reverse progress. Especially because a big part of the game is repeating missions and events that have already occurred. Why restrict replays of past events with current buddies?

Straight up garbage, man. I don't get it.

Can someone explain me how the processing of the resources works ? I have a lot of unprocessed resources but the processing give me way too little... And I've been wondering if it's useful to farm unprocessed resources when I already have quite a lot (unless the processing works with a % of the unprocessed resources).

On mission 29....wish I could use Quiet..stupid bug.

Use the D Walker with gatling gun. It's nice :)

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
First the forced FOB garbage, and now this? I was really looking forward to just messing around in the game after getting through the story, but this is a serious bummer.

Kinda does make sense in context of the narrative and themes of the game

Still, it is a bummer.

Audioboxer

I swear to god I'm just about to give up on this game. Mission 45 is too fucking hard.

Tell me about it!

That's what I just found out trying to get help with mission 45 lol. I take it if I'm on this mission I'm passed the point of avoiding this bummer?

Mission 16 Spoilers:

Are you supposed to be able to beat Mission 16 by killing the Skulls at this point in the game? It seems impossible without some kind of "Honey Bee" like guided rocket launcher.

I ended up just stopping the convoy close to the point where the exit the airport, luring the skulls away with some magazine throws, fultoning out the truck, immediately taking an APC and driving full speed to the mission border.

KarmaCow

Sorry going to ask again because this is bothering me.

Spoiler about something for dispatch missions that really isn't a big deal but just in case.

Some people have said that they ended up losing the Battle Gear on dispatch missions with no way of getting it back. It's frankly made me hesitant to even try the later key dispatch missions because I'm only at a 51% winning chance with a 20% predicted loss. The Battle Gear effectively adds 6 times the fighting strength of my best soldiers so without it, those missions are basically impossible and they take over 2 hours to even attempt. Surely this can't be intended design right, making it so you need to essentially restart the game completely to complete all the dispatch missions?

Sifl

Yea it sucks, I didn't do Mission 40 to unlock
Quiet's Sniper Wolf outfit just for them to leave shortly after.

Severance

there's a few other indications its Liquid. First being he definitely identified Big Boss as his father. Then you have his thirst for vengeance against Big Boss due to being an inferior clone, triggering his bond with Psycho Mantis despite Skull Face's presence. Plus physical appearance and the British accent.

Geg

Mission 16 Spoilers:

Are you supposed to be able to beat Mission 16 by killing the Skulls at this point in the game? It seems impossible without some kind of "Honey Bee" like guided rocket launcher.

I ended up just stopping the convoy close to the point where the exit the airport, luring the skulls away with some magazine throws, fultoning out the truck, immediately taking an APC and driving full speed to the mission border.

I did it with just a regular rocket launcher I'd developed. Quiet helped too

antitrop

Finished Chapter 1 and I don't want to play any more, because I enjoyed the 50 hours I've already put into it and I feel like playing any more would just start damaging that.

The story is so bad and the cutscenes so poorly directed and boring to watch, the thought of having to go through more of the game is really bumming me out.

Have a question about a scene that was in one of the earlier trailers but I haven't seen it yet. It involves Quiet. I'm up to mission 22 btw.

there was a scene in one trailer that showed Quiet (I think) or another POW in prisoner scrubs being basically waterboarded. It seemed to be taking place in Afghanistan and they were being held head down in water

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
Have a question about a scene that was in one of the earlier trailers but I haven't seen it yet. It involves Quiet. I'm up to mission 22 btw.

there was a scene in one trailer that showed Quiet (I think) or another POW in prisoner scrubs being basically waterboarded. It seemed to be taking place in Afghanistan and they were being held head down in water

That's late game

Soulflarz

Banned
Finished Chapter 1 and I don't want to play any more, because I enjoyed the 50 hours I've already put into it and I feel like playing any more would just start damaging that.

The story is so bad and the cutscenes so poorly directed and boring to watch, the thought of having to go through more of the game is really bumming me out.

I like that your opinion completely changed to mine in 30 hours

I knew it would :V

But yeah, this game feels like an insult to mgs in random ways.

Mission 16 Spoilers:

It's possible but running works too.

Skatterd

Mission 16 Spoilers:

Quiet + any normal rocket launcher destroys them.

antitrop

I like that your opinion completely changed to mine in 30 hours

I knew it would :V

But yeah, this game feels like an insult to mgs in random ways.
I'm not an MGS fan, that's why I loved the 50 hours of gameplay that I just went through without caring that there wasn't a good story or any compelling characters to keep me interested. Game is still my front-runner for GOTY, because I haven't enjoyed myself in a sandbox game like that in a looooong time.

I just uh... don't want to play it anymore.

Mission 16 Spoilers:

An airstrike will work.

Top Bottom