• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain |OT2| A Franchise Robbed Of Its Future

There is absolutely no challenge to this game. I just lit up an entire base with dozens of soldiers and waltzed out taking 6 hits.

It's all about putting together a run that is just fun to watch I guess. Or doing it for rank or whatever.

What mission are you on? Later on in the game shit gets intense when bases are alerted. Id say the challenge kicks in post episode 20.

16BitNova

Thanks for that.

Other GAFfers have mentioned the
butterfly emblem. Does the game give you any indication that you should "equip" it before hand?

So wait

All you have to do is NOT do something that I'm already not doing? Edit: Oh wait so you want the emblem on to do side op 150?

Well here's the thing guys
To get mission 45 you need to have the emblem OFF. So majority of people will probably have it off. Which will give you the ending to said story arc after beating mission 45. So basically the way the game should go. I'm going to get a little more spoilery here. Ill keep it to a minimum. So stop reading if you want. Keeping the emblem on is I guess technically the "secret" as it halts a specific character's story with you from reaching its conclusion. This way you can keep seeing this character around. If you don't have the emblem on at all or never did than cool the story just goes as it should.

So its best to keep the emblem on then? And all you have to do is side op 150 to unlock mission 45? Then mission 46 comes on its own regardless. Does that sum it up?

No, story wise. It's best to never have it equipped at all. Again
the main reason for having it on is to keep a certain character around for gameplay reasons or whatever. When you're ready to let go and have the characters conclusion play out take it off (if you ever had it on in the first place) to repeat. For story, it's best to not even use it. The story will play out as it should. Only keep it on if you want to keep having a certain character still around since having the emblem ON won't allow their story to conclude.

Lmao so one of my favorite songs from the game "Europe-Final countdown" was just featured in a hilarious Geico commercial. It's not online yet :(

Shit was funny. I wonder if the people on Geico played MGS and thought of it. Not gonna spoil what it's about. It was aired during the NFL commercial break

That song is used everywhere, from theme parks to shitty TV shows like X Factor.

Afrodium

Banned
Quiet and DD break missions involving extracting/killing targets (which is most missions) to the point where they're not really fun. Automatic markings of objectives allows you to complete most missions by running along the outskirts of the base until you're near the target, running in, and fultoning. I feel like the fun of the early game won't be replicated unless I handicap myself by not using these buddies or force myself to use less effective means of completing the missions. I'm at episode 24 now, does the difficulty ever ramp up to make up for how OP these two are?

To get mission 45 you need to have the emblem OFF. So majority of people will probably have it off. Which will give you the ending to said story arc after beating mission 45. So basically the way the game should go. I'm going to get a little more spoilery here. Ill keep it to a minimum. So stop reading if you want. Keeping the emblem on is I guess technically the "secret" as it halts a specific character's story with you from reaching its conclusion. This way you can keep seeing this character around. If you don't have the emblem on at all or never did than cool the story just goes as it should.

So I'm assuming I can keep the emblem on, skip mission 45, see the true ending, and then go back to 45 whenever I want as the last thing I do once I'm ready to be done with the game?

Didn't get an answer before, but is there a reason to keep multiple of the same tank or jeep? How about Walker gears? I have a ton of every vehicle and am not sure if there is a reason to keep them. Should I sell the extra and keep 2 for deployment and missions?

Don't sell them obviously, you need them for combat deployments, you can lose them.

Quiet and DD break missions involving extracting/killing targets (which is most missions) to the point where they're not really fun. Automatic markings of objectives allows you to complete most missions by running along the outskirts of the base until you're near the target, running in, and fultoning. I feel like the fun of the early game won't be replicated unless I handicap myself by not using these buddies or force myself to use less effective means of completing the missions. I'm at episode 24 now, does the difficulty ever ramp up to make up for how OP these two are?

Yes.

grimmiq

Wait..You can be invaded while your console isn't even on?

Went out for an hour, MGSV closed, PS4 on rest, come back to a message saying my FOB has been damaged, 12,000 fuel gone..

16BitNova

So I'm assuming I can keep the emblem on, skip mission 45, see the true ending, and then go back to 45 whenever I want as the last thing I do once I'm ready to be done with the game?

Yeah you can do that
Mission 45 is just the ending to a side story arc. Many people have done exactly what you just said.

-redacted-

Neo Member
Ha-ha wow, so D-Dog finally grew up for me and not only that, but right after I got him I also encountered Quite and got her too.

Question about Quiet though
when she's in the jail cell can do anything or am I supposed to just visit her every so often, like with D-Dog?

*not sure if spoiler or not tagged just in case

I have yet to ever connect online for over a week of play, every time it fails. All i can think its because i usually play in standby.

Maybe i will try returning to the main menu and doing it that way, i just want my gz save to sync

kIdMuScLe

Lmao so one of my favorite songs from the game "Europe-Final countdown" was just featured in a hilarious Geico commercial. It's not online yet :(

Shit was funny. I wonder if the people on Geico played MGS and thought of it. Not gonna spoil what it's about. It was aired during the NFL commercial break

You mean the same classic song that is used plenty of ads, movies, shows, intros , etc.? I didn't know it was a MGS exclusive.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
I'm having a lot of trouble being stealthy in this game. I start off great and manage to get past the first few guards but then inevitably I'll get spotted by someone too far away to easily CQC or shoot in the head with a tranq.

When approaching an objective I always find a vantage point and spend a few minutes spotting all of the guards I can see, wear the most suitable camo, and crouch/crawl when necessary. I've been able to fumble my way through the first 4 missions with a 'C' rank (which is terrible). I want to play as a shadow but I just can't do it.

I'm thinking maybe I should watch the way other people's S rank runs go and try to emulate their style but that feels kind 'cheap' and 'cheesy'. Does anyone have any tips or special strategies I can try?

I'm still really enjoying the game even if I'm blasting my way through bases and killing everyone in sight. I'd just rather play the game as a non lethal operative.

Please help me GAF!

PowderedToast

turn off markers?

I did as that's my helicopter music. Haha

Final Countdown is classic 80's, one of the greats.

It also happens to be an incredible helicopter speaker song. It fits both entering a mission and departing the zone via helicopter perfectly.

JCV

Unconfirmed Member
Story-wise, is there a reason to "level up"
Quiet
? I'm at mission 19 atm and I'd really prefer to use D-Dog instead, but I don't wanna miss any story bits, And please don't spoil! Thanks!

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
I'm having a lot of trouble being stealthy in this game. I start off great and manage to get past the first few guards but then inevitably I'll get spotted by someone too far away to easily CQC or shoot in the head with a tranq.

When approaching an objective I always find a vantage point and spend a few minutes spotting all of the guards I can see, wear the most suitable camo, and crouch/crawl when necessary. I've been able to fumble my way through the first 4 missions with a 'C' rank (which is terrible). I want to play as a shadow but I just can't do it.

I'm thinking maybe I should watch the way other people's S rank runs go and try to emulate their style but that feels kind 'cheap' and 'cheesy'. Does anyone have any tips or special strategies I can try?

I'm still really enjoying the game even if I'm blasting my way through bases and killing everyone in sight. I'd just rather play the game as a non lethal operative.

Please help me GAF!

Prone makes a huge difference for stealth. You can sneak past guys within spitting distance.

Try to get headshots with your tranq.

Smoke grenades + melee takedowns are your friend. No alert either if you do it right. Combine with night vision.

Hold up enemies when you can to interrogate them for objective locations and their friends' locations.

You can attract enemies by holding L1 and selecting 'Make Noise'. There is a special corner takedown.

tuxfool

Banned
Story-wise, is there a reason to "level up"
Quiet
? I'm at mission 19 atm and I'd really prefer to use D-Dog instead, but I don't wanna miss any story bits, And please don't spoil! Thanks!

Yes. Various reasons (some more valid than others).

Also Quiet is the best Buddy.

Final Countdown is classic 80's, one of the greats.

It also happens to be an incredible helicopter speaker song. It fits both entering a mission and departing the zone via helicopter perfectly.

I'm using the Curb your Enthusiasm theme song for my helicopter. Rotating that and The Gonk from the original Dawn of the Dead.

Nose Master

Are they seriously updating the ToS every day or do they make you agree to it every time you launch the game? Also, scrolling through 10 pages of patch notes on every single launch for a game I don't play online is pretty great. "Servers are fucked!" "They're cool again!" "Just kidding, still fucked." "Patch notes!" "This is what I had for lunch today"

Ferrio

Banned

Ah so if I'm reading this correctly,

So basically it's not a true ending, just an easter egg to keep Quiet around for the remainder of the game? Can you keep playing the game past 45 (I don't know when the game ends) and just take if off when you're ready to give up Quiet or is there a point of no return that you can't see that scene?

JCV

Unconfirmed Member
Yes. Various reasons (some more valid than others).

Also Quiet is the best Buddy.

I'm having trouble using her though. I mean, sometimes she just stops following me and she becomes useless. Didn't have that problem with D-Doge :(

16BitNova

So basically it's not a true ending, just an easter egg to keep Quiet around for the remainder of the game? Can you keep playing the game past 45 (I don't know when the game ends) and just take if off when you're ready to give up Quiet or is there a point of no return that you can't see that scene?

Yes, you can play past 45 then come back when you're ready.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.

You can beat/do everything in the game with Quiet and take the emblem off whenever you want, you can never miss it.

Top Bottom