• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain |OT2| A Franchise Robbed Of Its Future

dedhead54

I haven't played MGS in a few games.

I feel like I'm starting to get a grasp of the game as a whole, although I still haven't really messed around with mother base stuff, just been playing the missions. Kind of haven't figured out what I need to do with the staff and resources.

But man am I bad a trying to be stealthy. I try pretty fucking hard to be but I end up getting spotted a lot. I get out of it about half the time but the other half I just let them kill me and I try again.

I feel like I'm starting to get a grasp of the game as a whole, although I still haven't really messed around with mother base stuff, just been playing the missions. Kind of haven't figured out what I need to do with the staff and resources.

But man am I bad a trying to be stealthy. I try pretty fucking hard to be but I end up getting spotted a lot. I get out of it about half the time but the other half I just let them kill me and I try again.

Abuse reflex mod, just stop moving, line up the shot and fire once, no alerts.

it's actually easier if you just run away and hide and flank the enemy. getting seen can be used to your advantage if you can get to a certain distance away and draw the enemies to you

Ferrio

Banned
So I was doing mission 23
White mamba, and I punched him which caused him to fall off the side of the boat and die. Dude can't escape his destiny.

I know this probably addressed somewhere, but is there a fix for not being able to connect to server on XBOX One (10003)? My system is connected with a wired Comcast connection. I haven't been able to connect yet.

daveo42

Banned
Whew...that episode 30. I think I'm gonna hop right into 31.
Totally Volgon there as the man on fire. That stare down too between BB and Skull Face. Do we know who he really is? All he said is that he cleaned up after BB's messes and knew The Boss.

Furyous

Anyone know where to get S++/S+ soldiers? I'm at 380k Heroism and all I find are the occasional S in the field.

I'm not sure about S rank but there's a plethora of A/A+ soldiers in the Afghan Central Base camp
where you rescue Huey
and the power plant near it as well. I'm mining soldiers that this point and going back to the main mission when I've developed enough weapons.

Mupod

Every time Quiet did that 'head in hands longing gaze' thing in the ACC all I could think about is how appropriate that'd be for an Ocelot model swap. Make it happen, Internet.

Finalow

that QuietBigBoss cutscene under the rain.

3723342-7543385032-post-.jpg

also^ pretty much how I feel about this game right now.

Always infiltrate at night and avoid lights. Crouch-walk when they're looking towards you or if you're close to them, say less than 50m. At night, fultoning is noticed at ranges less than ~35m. Definitely do not run if anyone is looking in your direction. If they suspect something and you're in a good camo spot (i.e. shrubs) just go prone and press the stealth mode button for maximum stealth--in decent cover with camo you'll be functionally invisible, unless they actually bump into you.

Keep in mind that the guards' AI is very good, though this also works against them. They will have a good idea of where they saw you or heard something, which they will fastidiously investigate. But they only investigate that spot and it's immediate surroundings visually, which means any cover out of view from that spot will save you from any kind of detection, provided you can get there without being seen. Making noises intentionally is a good way to divert attention away from where you need to go, or to open up a holdup attempt.

The one thing to watch out for at night is snipers. They have no difficulty spotting you from hundreds of meters away, and they're usually hard to detect until they've already seen you. Worst of all, they're always in great vantage points that are difficult to reach. Silently sniping them is a rather safe option, as they're usually too isolated to be seen later on. If you cannot kill them, then always go prone while moving in their FOV, because otherwise they'll spot you easily; crouching, normal walking, running, or being in light will result in near-instant detections.

Distractions, though risky, can pay off in big ways provided you remain hidden. Destroying or disabling comm relays or generators will prompt confusion amongst the soldiers, which can open up areas that are heavily guarded. Keep in mind that once they discover a destoryed object, the soldier in question will prompt an alert unless knocked out of play. Turning off generators is a good, alert-free way of prompting confusion; likewise, knocking out communications is a good thing to do before engaging the bases, as it will prevent reinforcements.

Keep in mind that soldiers notice when something is wrong. Fultoning equipment, destroying stuff, or killing soldiers can all result in their suspicion if they notice it's wrong. So don't let them, by either removing soldiers that have a chance of finding the object in question, or hiding the bodies you've made.

These are just some of the stealth tips available. There's a whole lot more out there, which is a huge part of why MGSV is so fun to play.

Good luck, Boss.

Quiet is too OP, I'm going to stop using her unless I really need her.

I'm just roaming around Angola doing side quests and she clears outposts before I even get to them. She took out a wandering soldier pretty much the moment I got into the area, had to put on my NV to find him face first in some bushes. She even shot a dude in a moving truck and he just plopped out the door like a sack of potatoes. She's turning this game into a looting and fultoning simulator, lol.

I want her silencer though, sucks there isn't one for the tranq rifle.

Mat-triX

Question about Quiet late game:
I know about her leaving after a certain mission if maxed out bond, and in order to get the true ending she must leave. But what I want to know is: is there actually a benefit to keeping her? (other than you can still take her on missions)
no spoilers please, just yes or no

I know about her leaving after a certain mission if maxed out bond, and in order to get the true ending she must leave. But what I want to know is: is there actually a benefit to keeping her? (other than you can still take her on missions) no spoilers please, just yes or no
no

LeonSPBR

I know about her leaving after a certain mission if maxed out bond, and in order to get the true ending she must leave. But what I want to know is: is there actually a benefit to keeping her? (other than you can still take her on missions) no spoilers please, just yes or no

From what I know, no there is no other benefit.

RS4-

I'm just roaming around Angola doing side quests and she clears outposts before I even get to them. She took out a wandering soldier pretty much the moment I got into the area, had to put on my NV to find him face first in some bushes. She even shot a dude in a moving truck and he just plopped out the door like a sack of potatoes. She's turning this game into a looting and fultoning simulator, lol.

There is. You have to raise your bond with her to unlock it, and it costs a cool 750,000 GMP, but it's worth it.

Don't make the same mistake I did. I researched the damn thing and did so for a bunch of missions, but was wondering why they weren't suppressed. I had to re-equip the damn gun to see the upgrade.

Is there a place to see which animals I have extracted? In the encyclopedia, they are mostly names, and not listed as "???", but i dont remember extracting half of these.

The more I play the more I realise how usefull the Magazine is. Sleeping grenades are also underappreciated in my arsenal.

Some of those later missions are gonna be so fun.
Is there a place to see which animals I have extracted? In the encyclopedia, they are mostly names, and not listed as "???", but i dont remember extracting half of these.

I think it lists ones you've seen as well as ones you've caught there? Not 100% sure, though.

You unlock emblems with every animal caught, so I'd guess that's the best way to check.

Every time Quiet did that 'head in hands longing gaze' thing in the ACC all I could think about is how appropriate that'd be for an Ocelot model swap. Make it happen, Internet.

Has already happened, some gaffer in the spoiler thread made it.

Well, all buddies are OP in their own way, DD can extract prisoners and enemies you tranq, or he can just straight up wallhack kill them in total steath, oh and he also marks everything in a giant radius, even important targets.

D-horse allows for in your face stealth while traveling, he has lots of armour and his poop disables vehicles.

D-walker just destroys skulls.

Also for the silencer you need weapon customisation, you need to put it on yourself.

You get an emblem for each type of animal you've extracted. So you can check there, but I don't think it tells you the names of the ones you don't have.

Ferrio

Banned

You could always visit your zoo, I like tranqing my bears and throwing magazines at them. Eternal punishment for killing me when I was about to extract.

For you to use?

I'm not talking about her silenced tranquilizer.

There's one for her, and once you unlock weapon customisation (do the Legendary Gunsmith side ops), you can slap a suppressor onto any of your own sniper rifles. Silenced sniper rifles for everyone!

What mission do I do to be able to use other people in the field and get to play as them? I'm currently at mission 23

You'll be able to do it by that point; it unlocks as soon as you get a Combat Unit. In the Sortie Prep screen, go to Select Character, and you'll be able to swap out Big Boss for anyone assigned to your Combat Unit.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Does anyone have a bigger, cleaner (without logos) version of this badass poster?

What mission do I do to be able to use other people in the field and get to play as them? I'm currently at mission 23

I think you can already? I mean I'm earlier and I can use other characters in side-ops and stuff. I don't think you can use any other character different from Snake in the Main Ops.

Top Bottom