• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain |OT2| A Franchise Robbed Of Its Future

duckroll

I'm having trouble using her though. I mean, sometimes she just stops following me and she becomes useless. Didn't have that problem with D-Doge :(

They serve different purposes. Quiet doesn't really follow you like Doge does. Doge is a living soliton radar + active decoy who can also attack but can't take much damage. Quiet on the other hand is more like a mobile sniper turret who needs to be positioned, but can also operate away from you unlike Doge. Very good for flanking over long distances, scouting out bases before you even get there, and being a viable distraction who can draw enemy attention from you without being in close proximity.

Use your iDroid to position Quiet based on how you need her to function.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Post Mission 45
Nice little detail that Boss rips down the pictures of Quiet in the ACC after she leaves! A simple but effective gesture that speaks to how Boss took her leaving.

Kamek

WHY the ever loving FUCK does it keep taking me 20+ minutes just to load this game up on PS4. It takes forever to "download trophy info" then stays on logging into server forever. can someone PLEASE help me.

Nameless

You can beat/do everything in the game with Quiet and take the emblem off whenever you want, you can never miss it.

Wait so...
If I kept the emblem equipped through Mission 50, went back and did 45 after removing it, would I lose Quiet?

YouTube here I come if that's the case.

JCV

Unconfirmed Member
They serve different purposes. Quiet doesn't really follow you like Doge does. Doge is a living soliton radar + active decoy who can also attack but can't take much damage. Quiet on the other hand is more like a mobile sniper turret who needs to be positioned, but can also operate away from you unlike Doge. Very good for flanking over long distances, scouting out bases before you even get there, and being a viable distraction who can draw enemy attention from you without being in close proximity.

Use your iDroid to position Quiet based on how you need her to function.

Wait, so I can CHOOSE where to position her on the iDroid?!

Why do some Side Ops I have already done still show up as available?

24j94M5.jpg

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Is there a reason why Huey is basically the exact same person as his son, besides "well...for the fans"?

bryt

Okay, does anyone know what exactly causes materials to be processed? It's obviously not time since I left my PS4 on while sitting in the ACC for 5 hours idle while I was sleeping and 9 hours pushing buttons while I was at work and no materials have been processed today. I'm thinking it's time spent doing objectives.

I'm fairly certain materials get processed in the ACC since I've seen it happened before.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Wait so...
If I kept the emblem equipped through Mission 50, went back and did 45 after removing it, would I lose Quiet?

YouTube here I come if that's the case.

Mission 45 isn't available to pick as long as the butterfly emblem is on, once it's off then it triggers the events that happen and you lose her forever. But it stalls the event from happening so I can clear side ops/missions until I want to lose her.

It prevents 100% until I drop the emblem since the mission and side op count.

jediyoshi

Okay, does anyone know what exactly causes materials to be processed? It's obviously not time since I left my PS4 on while sitting in the ACC for 5 hours idle while I was sleeping and 9 hours pushing buttons while I was at work and no materials have been processed today. I'm thinking it's time spent doing objectives.

I'm fairly certain materials get processed in the ACC since I've seen it happened before.

Pretty sure it works like how the rest of 'time' works. Real time + time advanced through completing missions/side ops

Only research progresses while sitting idle, the other stuff you need to be active.

Woo-Fu

Banned
Oh man, around 70% completion and just realized I have to customize my copter for it to use all of those upgrades I've been developing for it.

"Hmm, it should be faster but it doesn't really seem any faster?"

Why do some Side Ops I have already done still show up as available?

Because most of them are repeatable. I ran into a few grind walls where I was doing the same handful of ops over and over and over.

Double D

Ok, so I just stumbled upon this Quiet mission
(Mission 11)
and I had read that you basically just do a supply drop on her. She just runs away when I do that. Help a brother out.

Nameless

Mission 45 isn't available to pick as long as the butterfly emblem is on, once it's off then it triggers the events that happen and you lose her forever. But it stalls the event from happening so I can clear side ops/missions until I want to lose her.

It prevents 100% until I drop the emblem since the mission and side op count.

Got it, thx.
Guess my Outer Heaven will be represented by a fucking Butterfly until the 'Quiet Returns' DLC.

It's definitely while being active, doing anything because it only processes when the game updates, just like leaving an area and triggering a check point shows how many soldiers you've extracted, plants gathered etc. So you might be able to do it if you trigger an auto save by moving a member to another unit. But if you're doing that and your console is on, you're probably already playing.

Is there any benefit of using characters other than Snake? Does the cutscene changes? Does Miller say different things or will he always call them Snake?

Also, when they die in missions, do they die forever?

Is there a reason why Huey is basically the exact same person as his son, besides "well...for the fans"?
They introduced him in a major role in Peace Walker (and was very unapologetic for it) and it carried over to Phantom Pain. His story and personality is different enough from Otacon's that it's a fresh reboot of the character, though.

But it gave us THIS

Haha, this is excellent.

It was one of the best scenes in the game and a nice throwback to the lighthearted soul that was Naked Snake.

Despite it being a cringe worthy scene, I might be forced to agree. It was really awkwardly directed, it's point would have been much better told through other means, and I wouldn't really call it one of the "best", but it wasn't quite as bad as people say it is, just kind of stupidly executed. It did remind me a little of Naked Snake and if it wasn't pandering quite so much with Quiet I would actually see it as kind of a sweet scene. The guide spoiled me on it by saying
"Big Boss and Quiet dance in the rain"
, so I expected better, but it's point was alright, and more engaging than much more important cutscenes and developments.

Hold do how you do you do this?

Also this video is amazing Quiet story spoilers

This is also a great way to turn the awkward direction on its head.

Is there any benefit of using characters other than Snake? Does the cutscene changes? Does Miller say different things or will he always call them Snake?

Also, when they die in missions, do they die forever?

Nope it's just for looks, some of them have better stats than snake, but they can't use the cigar/bionic arm.

duckroll

It's definitely while being active, doing anything because it only processes when the game updates, just like leaving an area and triggering a check point shows how many soldiers you've extracted, plants gathered etc.

Might be time elapsed + triggered at next checkpoint. Would be a sly way for them to prevent idle grinding. I guess the only way to get around that would be to deploy in free roam find a checkpoint spot, and rubberband the controller such that a combination of moving in one position + the camera moving in another position would cause Snake to walk in circles triggering the checkpoint over and over while it idles. Sounds like a huge waste of time though!

Ocelot's so much cooler than everyone else in the game. He should be Big Boss.

Revolvers are awesome weapons, too. It's a match made in heaven.
Anyone know where to get S++/S+ soldiers? I'm at 380k Heroism and all I find are the occasional S in the field.

I dunno. I've captured one or two S-rank characters and I'm at like 74k Heroism; it might just be that they've exceedingly rare. Also, you've gotta keep in mind that high morale boosts soldier's stats. So visiting high-level troops on Mother Base could potentially boost them into the S++ category.

So I put the controller down at the end of Mission 12 a little bit too early and......everything played out the same.
Sahalenthropus just blew up without me even putting a round into it :/

Top Bottom