• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain |OT2| A Franchise Robbed Of Its Future

Aces&Eights

I feel like I am the only one who goes into towns at anytime during the day, I actually really like going in during the day. Hell I have been playing for 16 hours and have not used the Phantom Cigar yet.

Ditto. I love landing at 0600 and moving though the town during the day. In longer missions, as I near my objective night falls and I go in for the kill, er fulton. Run out in the cover of darkness hearing voices of alarm and confusion droning on behind me.

This game is so good I can't play after work. If I do, I look up and it's midnight. This weekend is a 3 day weekend for me and I have pizza on speed dial and a box of Fat Boy Sea Salt Pretzel and Carmel ice cream bars in the freezer.

Woot.

I think I encountered a glitch on mission
34, Extreme 'Backup Back Down'. After dealing with all of the vehicles that come during the 15 minutes, there are suppose to be 3 tanks and a helicopter that appears after that. However, only two of the tanks are spawning for me (Or at least, being marked on the map). I've tried looking for the other but it's no where to be found.

On mission 9, the same mission, all three tanks were actually marked on the map for me. Is there a certain thing you have to do? This is a pretty big deal since one of the tasks are to extract all three tanks.

EDIT:
WOW, I was just about to give up and then it showed up on the map entering on the far right side. Like what the hell took it so long? Mission time was around 37 minutes just for show.

hughesta

Banned
Endgame spoilers :

if you finish all the main missions (up to 46) without completing Paz' "side quest," will it disappear forever? A friend of mine says he's locked out of her room and can't re enter after only showing seven photos.

So what's the deal with equipping
The butterfly in your custom emblem
? Does anything significant happen?

Should I do it or no?

Dartastic

Argh. I wish the checkpoint system was a little better. There are times I get really far into a mission, only to die and start the whole thing over and it makes me want to just put down the controller and try again later. :/

Edit: Also, you can fulton skulls? fffffff. How do you guys even do that? Killing them is hard enough.

ezekial45

Banned
So what's the deal with equipping
The butterfly in your custom emblem
? Does anything significant happen?

Should I do it or no?

Yes, there's a good reason to keep it on, if you like having
Quiet
around.

Her late-game arc sets up her last plot missions.
Having the emblem on delays this.

Any ideas on how the shrapnel horn works? I'm at the point where it's the longest it can be and I'm messy in such a way that no shower can clean, and I don't like the look. Does it reduce on its own over time, how to counter-act it, etc.

Any ideas on how the shrapnel horn works? I'm at the point where it's the longest it can be and I'm messy in such a way that no shower can clean, and I don't like the look. Does it reduce on its own over time, how to counter-act it, etc.

Wait... messy but a shower won't clean? Messy how? Like covered in dirt permanently?

Rocketz

Finally got the rain scene

Why Kojima

I keep seeing posts about this and seen a thumbnail for it on YouTube. When I get off work I'm just going to use the cigar until it rains on MB and make it happen. I need to know what the deal is. I have a pretty good guess but we'll see.

LeonSPBR

Wait... messy but a shower won't clean? Messy how? Like covered in dirt permanently?

No he's probably covered in blood. And yes there is a way for that to disappear. You are very high on "demon points" so you need to do mission without killing anyone to make the horn disappear and the blood leave.

I think I got it at 175k?

Got the mess, you mean? I'm pretty sure it's not affected by heroism, and what I've seen so far indicates the differences between certain actions between growing or receding the horn, which I believe because the audio cues for some of them are very distinct, like when you use your knife on a held guard.

I'm just not finding anything conclusive or confirmed, so that's what I've got to go on. A hidden stat, but one that really changes the tone of all cutscenes, and I don't like it at all.

Covered in stuff.

No he's probably covered in blood. And yes there is a way for that to disappear. You are very high on "demon points" so you need to do mission without killing anyone to make the horn disappear and the blood leave.

Was trying to be vague about what covers you, but anyway, it should take only one mission?

Geg

I keep seeing posts about this and seen a thumbnail for it on YouTube. When I get off work I'm just going to use the cigar until it rains on MB and make it happen. I need to know what the deal is. I have a pretty good guess but we'll see.
I think it just happens after returning to base from a mission or side op during chapter 2

Soulflarz

Banned
Got the mess, you mean? I'm pretty sure it's not affected by heroism, and what I've seen so far indicates the differences between certain actions between growing or receding the horn, which I believe because the audio cues for some of them are very distinct, like when you use your knife on a held guard.

I'm just not finding anything conclusive or confirmed, so that's what I've got to go on. A hidden stat, but one that really changes the tone of all cutscenes, and I don't like it at all.

Covered in stuff.

Oh geez, wrong thing

Yeah uh, i got hero at 175k it's affected by horn noise. It's the demon meter.

LeonSPBR

Any tips for mission 50? Thisll be fun!

Find a spot to hide, his fucking rail gun is a one hit kill with high precision. I recommed the missle launcher with 13 shots for less time waiting for ammo. Other than that just play as did
in the mission 31
and you'll be fine.

Soulflarz

Banned
Find a spot to hide, his fucking rail gun is a one hit kill with high precision. I recommed the missle launcher with 13 shots for less time waiting for ammo. Other than that just play as did
in the mission 31
and you'll be fine.

I'm going with the Grenade launcher, RPG, and a zorn (pistol grenade launcher)

I guess I need to find spots to shoot besides the tubes and glowy chest.

anyway, it should take only one mission?

Not sure if
I can post links from gamefaqs or not
, but punch
"metal gear solid v phantom pain demon points" into google, first result is a gamefaqs guide on it that seems pretty detailed.
Learned some stuff myself, I thought ending the misery of a wounded soldier was a good thing too, guess I was wrong.

I do wish the upgrades for certain NL weapons didn't take so long to make. I need such high levels to slap a silencer on my NL Assault Rifle. I also need to learn to trust the game mechanics; I'm really paranoid to hold-up the enemy with a gun and make them lie down out of fear of them getting up and causing a headache again, so the biggest no-no I've been doing is neck stabbing :/

ezekial45

Banned
What's the best way t get S rank soldiers? I'm not expecting anything as simple as PW's farmable missions, but I do hope there's some places I can focus on.

Not sure if
I can post links from gamefaqs or not
, but punch
"metal gear solid v phantom pain demon points" into google, first result is a gamefaqs guide on it that seems pretty detailed.
Learned some stuff myself, I thought ending the misery of a wounded soldier was a good thing too, guess I was wrong.

Yeah, I looked at that. I just wondered if anyone here knew anything more or could confirm/deny things, but I suppose that's what I'll use as reference.

It does suck I'll have to alter my free roam playstyle, which is to try out the lethal weapons that I mostly only use as a last resort in missions.

I'm always low on money... What am I supposed ro sell?

Precious metal is fairly worthless in development.

Plants are also good things to sell because they're used in such low quantities per insertion you can easily find replacements and more in the field.

finished Mission 12 last night... damn that was long, pretty epic trek though. maybe a touch easier because I had already cleared all the way from the
power plant
to the
command center camp
though, so had fewer comm dishes, AA dishes, etc hope, and had put some time into disrupting the sniper rifles and body armour to guards. intense fight... felt rather relentless at times, and great dose of story finally. the main characters are awesome so far.

really starting to love night vision with the infrared upgrades...
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5cQPO_sOYUM
pretty awesome during a sandstorm too: sandstorm approaching is basically NV on, bionic arm on, and zerg-rush charging-punches haha

loving the music in this game... was making my way through the relay station, clearing the infrastructure...
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZhS2RjRbcU0
and suddenly in the distance I can hear Billy Idol haha

and finally got my first walker last night, too... thing is pretty awesome

oh, and I found DD or D-Dog, whatever it's called... went into the game almost totally blind but
I had no idea he was random (or at least optional) haha I've just been exploring a tonne, and this little wolf pup pouncing around caught my eye haha I was headed to that one mid-western walled base for... Mission 10, the prisoner that wasn't at the palace ruins... was just going up some random treed hillside to scout the base and there was
d-pup just pouncing around haha

Cubed

I love that after beating the story through the "Truth" mission and beating the side ops, the game still has its hooks in me as it turns into an RPG. I simply infiltrate bases and outposts, trying different tactics and routes each time, and looking for the best soldiers to bring home to Mother Base. Basically, it's super-diverse farming. Then, I get to micro-manage my staff in order to create even more insane weapons and gadgets to take out and attack bases and outposts all over again.

Love it. This may be my favorite game of all time. And no, I'm not that disappointed with the story. Was it everything I wanted it to be? Nah... but I have little issue with it overall.

Quiet:
I just go the cutscene of her in the rain and I can't believe they used such a beautiful song for such a ridiculous scene.

Top Bottom