• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain |OT2| A Franchise Robbed Of Its Future

I can't believe it... Return to ACC... I have to see it for myself. How could I have missed that.

EDIT: Someone should make a MGSV tips/quality of life thread, this type stuff is too nice to go unnoticed.

Wow at all you people that never saw the pause screen.

BE WARNED, only use it after you see it save/checkpoint. Say you cap or Fulton a few dudes after completing a sideops, until you leave that zone and see the reward tick on the side, returning to ACC via pause will make you lose all that

Carbonox

Finally - finally! after two evenings! - beat mission 33.

How I did it:
The trick was to go and raid the other outposts for weapons first before taking on the impossibly well guarded target outpost. Going in there with no weapons at all is a nightmare, those guards have no ammo, and there's only two rocket launchers when you need 3.

I think I'm approaching the very end now. About 48% completion.

It's a tense mission for sure and I went there without any ammo or weapons.

In the end I did it twice - first time to do all side tasks and the second to S rank by shooting everything while inside the helicopter on dispatch and then leaving within like 20 seconds of arriving.

Ambitious

I've been calling the "pick-up" option every time I wanted to get back to the helicopter for 30 hours. Didn't realize till today that I can just hit pause and select "Return to ACC". smh

Related: What's the fastest way to navigate Mother Base? Using the jeep takes forever, and using the helicoper seems to take even longer because for some reason it feels like circling the destination platform three times or so.

jfoul

This game has it's hooks in me. I'm at 108 hours and I'm on mission
. It's my favorite MGS of the series, and it's already in my top 10 of all time. Just an amazing game.

Related: What's the fastest way to navigate Mother Base? Using the jeep takes forever, and using the helicoper seems to take even longer because for some reason it feels like circling the destination platform three times or so.

Use the cardboard to fast travel, just sit on the orange platforms in a box and a prompt will come up.

TheBowen

Sat alone in a boggy marsh

Get in a cardboard box and sit on the orange platforms on the primary platforms and hold Y/Triangle, then you can transport quickly. You can also do this in the maps aswell

d9b

Banned
I'm sure I checked the iDroid before but I guess I glazed over the option in the pause menu a thousand times over my 75 hours...
You can go to your MB menu and press auto asignement of staff, that'll initiate game save, to make sure you won't lose any progress before you return to your chopper this way.

Lé Blade Runner;178345931 said:
This is a sickness that I am going to suffer from as well, once I get my copy of Super Mario Maker.

My sickness.
I know these repetitive side ops like mine sweeping and puppet soldiers should be boring me.
But i cant quit.
Me and quiet are just mopping them up.
Im a weirdo who likes grinding.

I've been calling the "pick-up" option every time I wanted to get back to the helicopter for 30 hours. Didn't realize till today that I can just hit pause and select "Return to ACC". smh

fgHGt3E.jpg

cj_iwakura

I can't believe it... Return to ACC... I have to see it for myself. How could I have missed that.

EDIT: Someone should make a MGSV tips/quality of life thread, this type stuff is too nice to go unnoticed.

You don't get YOU'RE LEAVING NOOOW blasting through the speakers when the copter shows up, though.

I'm kind of afraid to use the "Return to ACC" option because of how awkward the save system is, but I suppose it's safe enough if you do it right after completing a side-op.

Finished Chapter 1 last night, a great series of missions at the end there. The combination of infiltration, battles and epic cut-scenes was about as close as it's come to capturing the traditional MGS feel so far. That Chapter 2 preview video was a bit too revealing though. Kojima's obsession with TV-style credits and previews is not working well.

cj_iwakura

I'm kind of afraid to use the "Return to ACC" option because of how awkward the save system is, but I suppose it's safe enough if you do it right after completing a side-op.

Finished Chapter 1 last night, a great series of missions at the end there. The combination of infiltration, battles and epic cut-scenes was about as close as it's come to capturing the traditional MGS feel so far. That Chapter 2 preview video was a bit too revealing though. Kojima's obsession with TV-style credits and previews is not working well.

I also hate that it spoils who's going to show up at the start of each episode.

Ambitious

Fast travel box

Use the cardboard to fast travel, just sit on the orange platforms in a box and a prompt will come up.

Get in a cardboard box and sit on the orange platforms on the primary platforms and hold Y/Triangle, then you can transport quickly. You can also do this in the maps aswell

Wow, I had no idea. Thanks, guys.

Speaking of the cardboard box, there's something else that has bothered me for a while: The box is in the leftmost slot of the item selection wheel, while the NVG is in the bottommost slot. I mostly use the NVG and I hardly use the box, but for some reason the left directional buttons keeps defaulting to the box. Why?

For instance: Hold left and select NVG. Tap left to turn it off again. Tap any other directional button, then left again. Now Snake will use the box instead of the NVG. Why's that?

You don't get YOU'RE LEAVING NOOOW blasting through the speakers when the copter shows up, though.

True. I'll call a copter in the middle of a firefight so "A Phantom Pain" will be a herald of their doom.

They will not see through the pain.

I'm sorry, but this is awful. I will always prefer Pequod flying in and picking me up, all while "Ghostbusters" is blaring out of the chopper.

Joking aside, the chopper mechanics and the lack of travel between points-of-interest on the map do irritate me.

Wish I could customize it. PS4. The song above works very well, but what I wouldn't give to "Let the Dogs out".

artsi

Should be mentioned that it doesn't work with missions, just side-ops and free roam.

Or it works, but that just cancels the mission and you have to do it again.

Should be mentioned that it doesn't work with missions, just side-ops and free roam.

Or it works, but that just cancels the mission and you have to do it again.

I assume you mean that's if you return to ACC while in the middle of a mission. Because that's understandable if so. But beating a mission and then returning to ACC afterwards is fine, right?

I asked this last night but never got a response. I'm just about to start mission 13
in Africa. I have Quiet on my brig but she's still not available as a buddy. When do I get to use her?

This is vital information that stares me blank in the face every time I pause but never clock haha!

True. I'll call a copter in the middle of a firefight so "A Phantom Pain" will be a herald of their doom.

They will not see through the pain.

Wish I could customize it. PS4. The song above works very well, but what I wouldn't give to "Let the Dogs out".

Yeah, it's one of my favorite things about the game. Nothing like CQC-ing a bunch of Soviets while "Born In The USA" is blasting over the audio. Really is a great feature.

Actually, if you can return to Mother Base by pausing and selecting "Return to ACC", then what is even the point of requesting a pickup? It costs GMP, takes longer, and is more inconvenient. I'd understand if it let you quickly fly between drop zones without returning to Mother Base, but it doesn't.

Just keep playing missions, it's soon.

After mission

Thanks guys.

Think I was just getting a little impatient overall!

Randomly found Quiet before I'm supposed to? And I sneak up to her and she can't be held up.. Bummer.

I did too! It felt wonderfully organic as I just ended up in the mission area.

Luckily I had my
sniper on me so I just kept my distance and kept taking shots at her, had some breaks with sandstorms.

That method is pretty simple as I did it quickly and on my first try.

xam3l

I have one question:
how essencial are those substance and extreme missions for the progress of the story? I've done missions 33/34 (quite easily tho) and didn't notice at first that they were just old missions, it kinda broke the rythm of the game. Can I just pass these for now?

oh... fuck lol /facepalm

KarmaCow

Actually, if you can return to Mother Base by pausing and selecting "Return to ACC", then what is even the point of requesting a pickup? It costs GMP, takes longer, and is more inconvenient. I'd understand if it let you quickly fly between drop zones without returning to Mother Base, but it doesn't.

What's even weirder is that if you're in a vehicle (even one you didn't bring in) and use the Return to ACC option, the game will auto fulton it up for you, complete with sound effect.

Randomly found Quiet before I'm supposed to? And I sneak up to her and she can't be held up.. Bummer.

If you're worried about killing her, don't be.
I guess you could miss recruiting her but the game makes that hard to do.

I have one question:
how essencial are those substance and extreme missions for the progress of the story? I've done missions 33/34 (quite easily tho) and didn't notice at first that they were just old missions, it kinda broke the rythm of the game. Can I just pass these for now?

Completely optional. Do the side ops marked important instead.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Plot progression seem awkward after starting chapter 2, similar to peace walker true end. but screw it, this is the game that allow you to rocket punch a bear.

Some trivia tips.

Destroying anti air radar allow you to visit the base or near it directly, and i think that's permanent, though of course enemy will notice you when you come in with chopper.

You can cqc enemies with walking gear from behind.

Every elimination side ops can be completed by extracting targets (exception for chopper)

Smoke grenade is OP.

I've never used the smoke grenade. What do you like about it that makes it OP?

Uhh
Smoke+NVG+CQC
Its broken op
Even heavy guards cant handle it
Just toss smoke between u and them to approach them then also at their feet
You can just waltz up and stun or throat slit anyone
Makes the heavy guard side ops a complete joke
Even tanks wont see you walking up to fulton them away

54-46!

I finished chapter 1 last night, this first part of the game was a bit too easy for my tastes so it's nice to see that the upcoming missions have OSP and such.

Greddleok

Uhh
Smoke+NVG+CQC
Its broken op
Even heavy guards cant handle it
Just toss smoke between u and them to approach them then also at their feet
You can just waltz up and stun or throat slit anyone
Makes the heavy guard side ops a complete joke
Even tanks wont see you walking up to fulton them away

Wait, are you saying they won't set of alerts? I always just assumed it'd be an auto alert (you know, it's a giant cloud of smoke, that'd be pretty alerting to me) so they were only useful if you were already in combat.

Top Bottom