• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain |OT2| A Franchise Robbed Of Its Future

Wait, are you saying they won't set of alerts? I always just assumed it'd be an auto alert (you know, it's a giant cloud of smoke, that'd be pretty alerting to me) so they were only useful if you were already in combat.

Nope
I throw up a screen and stroll up to a group of dudes who all get slammed or cut.
Smoke is the GOAT
Dont get me wrong they can see smoke but no sudden alert goes off.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
I've never used the smoke grenade. What do you like about it that makes it OP?

Basically
V
V
V
Uhh
Smoke+NVG+CQC
Its broken op
Even heavy guards cant handle it
Just toss smoke between u and them to approach them then also at their feet
You can just waltz up and stun or throat slit anyone
Makes the heavy guard side ops a complete joke
Even tanks wont see you walking up to fulton them away

I also kidnap a prisoner in the center of 4 walking gear right under their nose using smoke grenade. They're all panicked while i slowly retreat.

Basically
V
V
V

I also kidnap a prisoner in the center of 4 walking gear right under their nose using smoke grenade. They're all panicked while i slowly retreat.

Im so happy that the cult of smoke is spreading.
I noticed it early and abused the hell out of it all game
oh also i believe its the zorn or uragan pistol
that has an final upgrade that fires smoke grenades...so yeah.

Wait, are you saying they won't set of alerts? I always just assumed it'd be an auto alert (you know, it's a giant cloud of smoke, that'd be pretty alerting to me) so they were only useful if you were already in combat.

They will get suspicious but I don't think it will go to alert.

just completed Mad Max so now I can get stuck into MGS.

consumed.gif

Bleep

They will get suspicious but I don't think it will go to alert.

The grenade itself will scare them and make them move away, the smoke will make them take out their radio to report that they see smoke. Both of those are really minor setbacks compared to how easily you can set up taking out multiple enemies with CQC or just occupying them for a while. Smoke grenades are totally the best support weapon.

The grenade itself will scare them and make them move away, the smoke will make them take out their radio to report that they see smoke. Both of those are really minor setbacks compared to how easily you can set up taking out multiple enemies with CQC or just occupying them for a while. Smoke grenades are totally the best support weapon.

Totally.
I also like to watch enemies reaction to the decoy balloons.

Questions about this Kikongo bullshit:
FUCK ME, who thought that shit was a good idea? I had 640 Mother Base members at the time the Quarantine thing popped up, 240 of whom spoke Kikongo, and there's no way to sort by language spoken so I just had to be a human Ctrl F search for like twenty minutes. Then of course I had to go back through the whole list again for the inevitable ones I'd missed. And now I'm seeing A++ dudes popping up in missions, so I can't not Fulton them, and every mission I have to take note of all the dudes I recruited and check them for Kikongo. Fuck.

Which story mission do I have to reach to make this stop? I think I'm up to 27 now, but it's just telling me to rescue an Intel agent and that doesn't sound romantic enough. God, this sucks. This has completely screwed with my general playstyle of taking my time, clearing out side missions, Fultoning everyone, developing all the cool stuff; now I feel like I have to rush through main missions to find the cure.

And am I going to get all my dudes back once I find the cure? I was right on the verge of developing a gun with a medium suppressor which I was going to slap onto everything in Weapon Customization, but the epidemic dropped every one of my units by like six levels.

Questions about this Kikongo bullshit:
FUCK ME, who thought that shit was a good idea? I had 640 Mother Base members at the time the Quarantine thing popped up, 240 of whom spoke Kikongo, and there's no way to sort by language spoken so I just had to be a human Ctrl F search for like twenty minutes. Then of course I had to go back through the whole list again for the inevitable ones I'd missed. And now I'm seeing A++ dudes popping up in missions, so I can't not Fulton them, and every mission I have to take note of all the dudes I recruited and check them for Kikongo. Fuck.

Which story mission do I have to reach to make this stop? I think I'm up to 27 now, but it's just telling me to rescue an Intel agent and that doesn't sound romantic enough. God, this sucks. This has completely screwed with my general playstyle of taking my time, clearing out side missions, Fultoning everyone, developing all the cool stuff; now I feel like I have to rush through main missions to find the cure.

did u use square/X button to mark in bulk at least?

@ Hatchtag go to tapelist designate a track with X

malfcn

Fight with Quiet is
stupid? Can't cqc her, forced to go lethal because you probably need a ton of tranquilizers to put her down. And it seems that you have to recruit her unless you avoid the fight?

S rank without trying. Nice.

did u use square/X button to mark in bulk at least?

Yeah,
but it's still a list of 640 people that I had to go through one by one. There's no way to sort by language, and no way to even make Kikongo appear as the first language on the list. Some dudes speak like seven languages, and Kikongo can be anywhere in that list, so you can't just quickly scroll through and eyeball it. After a while the letters just don't make sense to your brain any more.

Hasney

Do 360 and PS3? Kinda humorous (and a bit sad) if that's true lol.

Yes, it's something to do with MS and Sony not allowing it in their OSs right now, or at least not officially if some games have a work around. It's the same with WWE where custom themes are only on last gen.
Fight with Quiet is
stupid? Can't cqc her, forced to go lethal because you probably need a ton of tranquilizers to put her down.

Think the bar goes down as much with sniper tranq as it does lethal and if not, you can always drop supply drops on her head instead

All Support platform decks have been constructed. That just leaves 5 more platforms >.<
Probably develop more primary/secondary weapons and items since the only things I've been developing are tools and support weapons.

I did check out my total playtime so far: 61 hours. 61 hours and I've only completed 17 missions. I can only imagine how many more hours it will take me to beat the game considering I do so much other stuff in the game

54-46!

Fight with Quiet is
stupid? Can't cqc her, forced to go lethal because you probably need a ton of tranquilizers to put her down.

I tranqed her with a pistol on my first try, it took a while though,
I also tried to CQC her while she was dancing in the water but it didn't seem to work?

WITHE1982

So after 40 hours I finally
unlocked Quiet
as a buddy (only completed 15 missions and 40 side ops) and used her for the first time.

Couple of questions:
How do you stop her killing people? I went to
extract the legendary gun slinger
and after stunning him she then shot him in the head. No a great start to her career TBH. I only instructed her to scout from the i-droid.

Also what's the fastest way to increase her bond? I need dat
tranq sniper rifle

gconsole

So after 40 hours I finally
unlocked Quiet
as a buddy (only completed 15 missions and 40 side ops) and used her for the first time.

Couple of questions:
How do you stop her killing people? I went to
extract the legendary gun slinger
and after stunning him she then shot him in the head. No a great start to her career TBH. I only instructed her to scout from the i-droid.

Also what's the fastest way to increase her bond? I need dat
tranq sniper rifle

If you don't command her to cover you then that should be fine? She never shoot enemy on her own unless it's on cover me function (which Snake will literally says 'fire at your own will').

I swear. The times I bring my water gun, the mission is nowhere near a base. Times I bring my tranq pistol instead, comms dishes everwhere.

Wish that thing was an item or tool instead.

Hey so I'm just curious, people mention getting a hero rank and say they need all the code names to get it.

How do you check which code names you are missing? Is there a easy way to do that?

My encyclopaedia seems to just list all of them but not indicate if I have them or not!

Yo fuck this mother base shit. I was doing those stupid trials and was working on the last one I had problems with I died and it cleared out all of my progress on all of the trials I did.

I'm so fucking upset.

What does the water gun do, I mean is it useful?

Puts out campfires, but more imporantly, I belive it can disable comm dishes/stations without making any noise. I say "believe" because I've heard it mentioned but haven't encountered one while I had the damn thing equipped.

It also holds people up like normal. I've been wanting to see their reaction when they realize they've been help up by a squirting gun. Haven't run into it yet.

Puts out campfires, but more imporantly, I belive it can disable comm dishes/stations without making any noise. I say "believe" because I've heard it mentioned but haven't encountered one while I had the damn thing equipped.

Would be good if it's true, I always avoid disabling them because you need explosives which will obviously alert the gaurds.

Barrett2

just woke up at 5:30am so I could play this for an hour before going to work. I cannot remember the last time I was into a game enough to do that. It's been YEARS.

Yo fuck this mother base shit. I was doing those stupid trials and was working on the last one I had problems with I died and it cleared out all of my progress on all of the trials I did.

I'm so fucking upset.

I had pretty much the exact same thing happen. I'm honestly never sure when the game is actually saving or not, despite the 'saving' icon showing up repeatedly.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
Uhh
Smoke+NVG+CQC
Its broken op

I had no idea they were so useful, I have avoided using a bunch of things incase it would instantly set off alarms. Oh man, so many times I've tried to sneak into bases and do stuff would have been so much easier.

Well I know what I'm doing the next chance I get.

Kworn

Banned
So mission 16...
I ended up just bombarding the hell out of the tanks and snipers via bombing the hell out of them. Then I just rocket launched the hell out of the scull guys

Hardest mission so far. How did you guys approach this?

ufo8mycat

Is it just me or does the "End of Mission" rating system not reward stealth, but more time?

I just did the mission where
you have to destroy 4 walkers
. I actually went in guns blazing on my walker. No stealth or non lethal kills and I got an S rank. Same story where you have to hijack the truck and the cargo.

S and even A are given too easily. Should only get an S if done completely stealth, no alerts, no kills. Now I have gotten A doing this but still, the fact you can still get an A and even S for going guns blazing.

54-46!

So mission 16...
I ended up just bombarding the hell out of the tanks and snipers via bombing the hell out of them. Then I just rocket launched the hell out of the scull guys

Hardest mission so far. How did you guys approach this?

I waited for the Skulls move to one side of the truck (they're always slowly moving toward you), then I ran all the way around them, fultoned the tuck and sneaked out of there.

Is it just me or does the "End of Mission" rating system not reward stealth, but more time?

I just did the mission where
you have to destroy 4 walkers
. I actually went in guns blazing on my walker. No stealth or non lethal kills and I got an S rank. Same story where you have to hijack the truck and the cargo.

S and even A are given too easily. Should only get an S if done completely stealth, no alerts, no kills. Now I have gotten A doing this but still, the fact you can still get an A and even S for going guns blazing.

Time is weighted very heavily for the end-of-mission ratings, more than anything else I'd reckon. If I had to guess it's so that the more action-oriented missions don't need a discrete rating system.

ufo8mycat

Uhh
Smoke+NVG+CQC
Its broken op

Yup I used this tactic a couple times and it ruined the enjoyment as it is too OP. stopped using it

Top Bottom