• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain |OT2| A Franchise Robbed Of Its Future

MrS

Banned
Im so happy that the cult of smoke is spreading.
I noticed it early and abused the hell out of it all game

oh also i believe its the zorn or uragan pistol
that has an final upgrade that fires smoke grenades...so yeah.
Same, it has now been replaced by S
tealth Camo and Raiden
outfit for me. Both are EZ mode.

54-46!

Is it just me or does the "End of Mission" rating system not reward stealth, but more time?

I just did the mission where
you have to destroy 4 walkers
. I actually went in guns blazing on my walker. No stealth or non lethal kills and I got an S rank. Same story where you have to hijack the truck and the cargo.

S and even A are given too easily. Should only get an S if done completely stealth, no alerts, no kills. Now I have gotten A doing this but still, the fact you can still get an A and even S for going guns blazing.

I don't find the ranks important in this game, I go for the emblems. Also in the Records they list how many missions you've completed with No kills and Perfect stealth etc.

ufo8mycat

Time is weighted very heavily for the end-of-mission ratings, more than anything else I'd reckon. If I had to guess it's so that the more action-oriented missions don't need a discrete rating system.

Yeah, problem is I think it penalises those who want to take their time, do all objectives of the mission, pure stealth/no detections etc, as not enough points are given in those areas.

Cyborg

Is it just me or does the "End of Mission" rating system not reward stealth, but more time?

. I actually went in guns blazing on my walker. No stealth or non lethal kills and I got an S rank. Same story where you have to hijack the truck and the cargo.

S and even A are given too easily. Should only get an S if done completely stealth, no alerts, no kills. Now I have gotten A doing this but still, the fact you can still get an A and even S for going guns blazing.

Yup, its lame.
I have a lot of mission with no kills, alerts and a lot of knockdowns and so on. But time seems to be a much bigger factor

Orcastar

So mission 16...
I ended up just bombarding the hell out of the tanks and snipers via bombing the hell out of them. Then I just rocket launched the hell out of the scull guys

Hardest mission so far. How did you guys approach this?

I cleared out one of the outposts along the route, tranqing all the guards and fultoning the most skilled ones. Then I waited behind a barricade a short distance away from the outpost for the convoy to show up. When they did, the truck driver stopped and got out to inspect the tranqed guards. Shot him in the head with my tranq sniper rifle. Next I waited for the tank in the front of the truck to turn its turret away and approached. This triggered the Skulls' appearance and also rendered the tanks immobile. Placed a decoy in front of the Skulls, making sure not to get too close to get spotted. Circled around behind the truck and deployed the decoy, causing the Skulls to move away from the truck. Fultoned the truck and the tank without getting spotted (despite the closest Skull being maybe 10 metres away from the truck), crawled away a short distance, called the chopper and ran away.

It was kinda hilarious.

I'm afraid to continue with story mission 43. Is this the mission
where you lose Quiet
? I have the butterfly emblem on.
So am i safe to start this mission or not ?
I heard you can't finish the story without losing her. So missions past 43 won't unlock since I'v got butterfly emblem on?

So uhm what is the wide array of lethal weapons even for?

Stealth seems like the way to play, I still go for guns blazing when a mission annoys the fuck out of me after a bunch of tries but it's boring if you do it that way.

So mission 16...
I ended up just bombarding the hell out of the tanks and snipers via bombing the hell out of them. Then I just rocket launched the hell out of the scull guys

C4'd the tanks, got close to the truck, at which point the Skulls came out.

Threw some Smoke Grenades to cover my approach, jumped in the truck and drove off.

I don't use smoke grenades often it's boring, good for a group of guys tho. Does it work against gasmasks?

Oh and I am stuck on mission 45, literally. Is there no way to abort the mission without it putting me back into it each time? I wanna go back to the security of my fob raiding :(

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious

Stealth seems like the way to play, I still go for guns blazing when a mission annoys the fuck out of me after a bunch of tries but it's boring if you do it that way.
I've already had countless times where I played stealth as long as I could, things turn sour, and the heavy guns come out... And I win anyway!

Proper MGSV play should adapt to the circumstance. Thinking "stealth only" is the same as "gunplay only" I believe.

Ambitious

Wow, I had no idea. Thanks, guys.

Speaking of the cardboard box, there's something else that has bothered me for a while: The box is in the leftmost slot of the item selection wheel, while the NVG is in the bottommost slot. I mostly use the NVG and I hardly use the box, but for some reason the left directional buttons keeps defaulting to the box. Why?

For instance: Hold left and select NVG. Tap left to turn it off again. Tap any other directional button, then left again. Now Snake will use the box instead of the NVG. Why's that?

Anyone? As a workaround, I'm gonna try putting the NVG in the leftmost slot.

Stealth-oriented weapons like tranqs have poor ammo capacity, next to no armour piercing capability, and are generally ineffective at range; riot (rubber-bullet) weapons suffer similar problems; suppressed lethal weapons don't last forever. All of these shortcomings combine to make them ill-equipped to handle large amounts of enemies in a firefight, where unadulterated lethal weapons shine.

I mean, sure, if you prep properly you'll never be a large firefight, but sometimes that just isn't possible. And sometimes it's simply more fun to win in a blaze of glory.
Anyone? As a workaround, I'm gonna try putting the NVG in the leftmost slot. If that doesn't work, I might just not take the box with me.

I don't know about console versions, but on PC with KB&M putting NVG in the leftmost slot was all I needed to do to make it the default tool, always the first selected when first deployed. It would only change to the box if I manually select it by holding the tool button (in my case, 4) and opening the radial menu to select the box manually.

Left slot is your default slot.
There's a kind of logic there I guess, but I'd prefer if it remembered what you used last like all the other games.
But I appreaciate there's only a few items now aside from pills, thanks to all the tools having integrated controls.

Was surprised my tranq rifle shatters glass, I take it the default pistol doesn't penetrate like in GZ?

TedMilk

I waited for the Skulls move to one side of the truck (they're always slowly moving toward you), then I ran all the way around them, fultoned the tuck and sneaked out of there.

Use D Horse. Ignore the camps, go straight to the compound where the truck is. travel to the right and around to the back of the compound where the truck is parked by the rear fence. There's some wood stacked and a gap in the barbed wire where you can climb in near the truck.

Approach truck, trigger skulls cutscene. Place fulton on truck as reflex mode from the skulls noticing you is happening/is wearing off. From facing the back of the truck, immediately set off running right while whistling for the horse. Get on the horse while running, exit the base and head out of the mission area while zigzagging the skulls.

They will never give up chasing you, but if you can make it out of the mission area you're safe.

S Rank.

Sub Zero

his body's cold as ice, but he's got a heart of gold
Do you have to tranq the Skulls in order to extract them, or can you just kill them with conventional weapons?

I'm pretty sure you can kill them and still extract them as long as there is at least one of them alive. As soon as the last one of them goes down, their bodies disappear

"Great job, Boss! That's why you're the best! They'll remember this one for a long time!" S-rank!!!

... 34 hits taken, 6 alerts, several kills... but I completed the mission in like five minutes. Time is definitely like 99.9% of your grade which is a little disappointing.

shiba5

Is it possible to get a S rank without
killing the skulls in that mission?

You can do mission 16 in 3 minutes if you ride directly to the airport, jump over the fence directly behind the truck, trigger the cutscene, Fulton the truck out and then ride d-horse right through the front gate and out of the hot zone. S-rank.

Makai

So mission 16...

I parked a jeep on the road. The convoy stopped and everyone left their vehicles. I jacked one of the tanks and fultoned the other vehicles. Blew up the skulls with tank.

I've already had countless times where I played stealth as long as I could, things turn sour, and the heavy guns come out... And I win anyway!

Proper MGSV play should adapt to the circumstance. Thinking "stealth only" is the same as "gunplay only" I believe.

Stealth-oriented weapons like tranqs have poor ammo capacity, next to no armour piercing capability, and are generally ineffective at range; riot (rubber-bullet) weapons suffer similar problems; suppressed lethal weapons don't last forever. All of these shortcomings combine to make them ill-equipped to handle large amounts of enemies in a firefight, where unadulterated lethal weapons shine.

I mean, sure, if you prep properly you'll never be a large firefight, but sometimes that just isn't possible. And sometimes it's simply more fun to win in a blaze of glory

Idk I don't feel a sense of accomplishment that way, I'll do it because I'd feel like I wasted too much time restarting the mission so late but if I feel like I can do better a 2nd time I'll sometimes do it.

CHC

"Great job, Boss! That's why you're the best! They'll remember this one for a long time!" S-rank!!!

... 34 hits taken, 6 alerts, several kills... but I completed the mission in like five minutes. Time is definitely like 99.9% of your grade which is a little disappointing.

Yeah it totally is, I never seem to know what rating I'm going to get because all the missions seem to have arbitrary time thresholds for S-rank.

Also that avatar is fucking amazing. You need to make the flame iDroid blue, however.

WITHE1982

You wouldn't,
it's a secret way to keep her around, she's supposed to leave as part of the story.

Just how much does it (Quiet late game kinda spoiler but not really a spoiler at all)
compromise the story if you have her stay? I do want to hang onto her but not at the expense of a more believable story arc.

Hasney

Just how much does it (Quiet late game kinda spoiler but not really a spoiler at all)
compromise the story if you have her stay? I do want to hang onto her but not at the expense of a more believable story arc.

It feels totally separate to the main story. But if you want trophies, you do have to let her go at some point

I'm not too far into the game, but from what I've seen they created the system to award both action and stealth players.

There are two major sources of points, one is time, the other is all the extra stuff like no kills etc.
If you go all out action, you better do it fast to get a S rank.
If you go stealth, you can take your time as you get the bonus points.

I got S rank for mission 13 etc. on first try and usually I get more bonus points than time points.
I think no-alarms&no-kills usually nets 10k+10k+20k (you get another bonus for achieving both at once) points alone. It also fits more my playstyle and I have some time to collect tapes, gain more heroism from holding up all the guards etc. (plus I guess you don't grow your horn for shooting everyone if that as any impact on stuff?).
edit: I also turned off reflex mode in the options, I think that's 10k? Maybe I should reactive it to make my playthrough less punishing.

Also, IIRC PP is much more lax with punishing for using continues than PW/GZ. You get a 5000 points for not using any continues, after that use as many as you want. That's only a small bonus and it doesn't impact big ones like the ones above.

Because of this I even started to save in between the same outpost by doing what I want to do w/o getting caught like fultron our good soldiers/hostages, planting C4 on the radar etc.) and then run out of the outpost "zone" to have it save all that progress. Then go back to do the actual mission objectives etc. (so if I get caught I won't have to do everything again).

ramyeon

As far as I understand
it's just the end of her character arc, which doesn't affect the main story arc really. It's obvious that the intent was for her to leave on your first play through though, with the emblem trick to keep her around being a hidden secret.

54-46!

Use D Horse. Ignore the camps, go straight to the compound where the truck is. travel to the right and around to the back of the compound where the truck is parked by the rear fence. There's some wood stacked and a gap in the barbed wire where you can climb in near the truck.

Approach truck, trigger skulls cutscene. Place fulton on truck as reflex mode from the skulls noticing you is happening/is wearing off. From facing the back of the truck, immediately set off running right while whistling for the horse. Get on the horse while running, exit the base and head out of the mission area while zigzagging the skulls.

They will never give up chasing you, but if you can make it out of the mission area you're safe.

S Rank.
But not Perfect stealth.

This fucking Kikongo/
quarantine
bullshit has really soured me on the game.
I just looked it up, and the infection stuff only goes away after Mission 29. So, on top of having spent all that time sorting through my list of 640 dudes to find the 240 of them who speak Kikongo (again, no option to sort by language spoken), I now have to rush through the game until I'm right near the end to hopefully minimise the damage done to the giant army I've spent all this time building. And, worse, I don't even want to Fulton any more dudes in the upcoming missions, even though I'm seeing A++ guys all over the place, because chances are they're going to speak Kikongo and get auto-sorted into my units and I'll have to go through the whole fucking list again to find them.

And forget all those cool new things I was planning on developing from here to the end of the game. With over a third of my army in quarantine, every unit I have has dropped by like six levels. Fuck, why would you do this, Kojima?

WITHE1982

As far as I understand
it's just the end of her character arc, which doesn't affect the main story arc really. It's obvious that the intent was for her to leave on your first play through though, with the emblem trick to keep her around being a hidden secret.

It feels totally separate to the main story. But if you want trophies, you do have to let her go at some point

Thanks guys. Guess it's gonna be a case of
"if you love something set it free"
...at least for my first playthrough anyway.

hiro4

So I got to meet Quiet, which was a fun and tense moment.

Also Story spoilers afterwards just in case:
But afterwards was also the part where I kinda miss the old voice of Snake, his gruffy old voice instead of just.. well just Kiefer Sutherland. Until now I didn't really mind Kiefer as his voice, but just that moment where he says she shouldn't be shot or that he will kill her herself if necessary fell flat to me.
Not like Hayter had more Emotion, but this was just bad.
Also I really hate that Miller and Ocelot have almost the same voice. I almost can't separate them both.

Yeah it totally is, I never seem to know what rating I'm going to get because all the missions seem to have arbitrary time thresholds for S-rank.

Also that avatar is fucking amazing. You need to make the flame iDroid blue, however.

Good idea and thank you! I also added a little puff of hologram smoke.

54-46!

Do you have to be online in order to build your first FOB? I've completed chapter 1 and Miller talked about it but I never got a prompt.

I've been offline for most of the game since online caused menus to load slower.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I'm pretty sure you can kill them and still extract them as long as there is at least one of them alive. As soon as the last one of them goes down, their bodies disappear
Hrm, okay. I'll try that... too bad the Mist Skulls are only at the end of those two missions. The other ones are at least at the start of their own missions.

Why would you extract the skulls? Is there any benefit?
Yeah, an end game item.

Thanks guys. Guess it's gonna be a case of
"if you love something set it free"
...at least for my first playthrough anyway.
I mean, you could always just copy your save file to USB if you want to see it but not deal with the consequences.

This fucking Kikongo/
quarantine
bullshit has really soured me on the game.
I just looked it up, and the infection stuff only goes away after Mission 29. So, on top of having spent all that time sorting through my list of 640 dudes to find the 240 of them who speak Kikongo (again, no option to sort by language spoken), I now have to rush through the game until I'm right near the end to hopefully minimise the damage done to the giant army I've spent all this time building. And, worse, I don't even want to Fulton any more dudes in the upcoming missions, even though I'm seeing A++ guys all over the place, because chances are they're going to speak Kikongo and get auto-sorted into my units and I'll have to go through the whole fucking list again to find them.

And forget all those cool new things I was planning on developing from here to the end of the game. With over a third of my army in quarantine, every unit I have has dropped by like six levels. Fuck, why would you do this, Kojima?

For what it's worth, you can sort by
newly added, so you can still get new guys and quarantine them. I had 1000 soldiers and it was a pain, but the three missions go by really quickly and you only lose perhaps 10 or so soldiers.

Do you have to be online in order to build your first FOB? I've completed chapter 1 and Miller talked about it but I never got a prompt.

I've been offline for most of the game since online caused menus to load slower.
Make sure you want one before you do it, because once you do, the game will force you to finish the tutorials and put yourself up for invasion every time you go online.

Woke up this morning, browsing this thread while I chug some coffee.

I see that not only can you use Return to ACC in the field after it auto-saves but you can Cardboard Box travel in the field too??

After 98 hours and 60% completion, this news makes me feel everything I thought I knew was a lie.

b28a3a52ee99399a5389e758f7de87b6.gif

Top Bottom