• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain |OT2| A Franchise Robbed Of Its Future

Do you have to be online in order to build your first FOB? I've completed chapter 1 and Miller talked about it but I never got a prompt.

I've been offline for most of the game since online caused menus to load slower.

You do need to be online to build/upgrade FOBs. You can't do anything at all with them if you're offline, though an established FOB will still continue to exist, allowing you to enjoy the increased soldier capacity and deployment amount.

Darkone

Got a GTX980 Ti gaming last night, i am planing to go 4K when the new monitors releases next month in Europe with gsync.
I dont know if to play now on 1080p or wait for 4K.
I so want to play this.

Anyone playing this on 4K?

JimPanzer

Got a GTX980 Ti gaming last night, i am planing to go 4K when the new monitors releases next month in Europe with gsync.
I dont know if to play now on 1080p or wait for 4K.
I so want to play this.

Anyone playing this on 4K?

do you want 60 fps? If so, 4k won't be possible with a single 980TI.

Ducktail

Can somebody just give a general idea if I still have more missions to come? I don't want this game to end :(

I'm at mission

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Exact answer
You have 7 missions left and 13 repeat missions with higher difficulties.

CHC

Goddamn this game is so stupid sometimes.

10 minute long
Skull Face
monologue.... Snake says literally not a word, then we just sit in the jeep for another 5 while
the theme song plays gratuitously

He's just saying words that don't even make sense. First they say his plan is to
wipe out every language BUT English, then (oh what a twist!) he wants to wipe out ONLY English, which he explains to you IN English after extolling on his time covering your tracks while he worked for the CIA
. Did they just make this up as they went along?

duckroll

So mission 16...
I ended up just bombarding the hell out of the tanks and snipers via bombing the hell out of them. Then I just rocket launched the hell out of the scull guys

Hardest mission so far. How did you guys approach this?

Found a small group of PFs with a jeep waiting at some crossroads. Took them out and stole the jeep. Drove the jeep up to the projected path of the caravan, and parked the jeep on the road when I saw them coming. Hid behind a rock. Waited for the caravan to stop because the jeep was blocking. Threw a bunch of smoke grenades, ran up, fultoned the APC, the Skulls aggroed, Quiet started shooting them, fultoned the jeep while they were distracted, go back into my jeep, drove the fuck away while the Skulls were chasing me until I was out of the hot zone.

J-Skee

10 minute long
Skull Face
monologue.... Snake says literally not a word, then we just sit in the jeep for another 5 while

He's just saying words that don't even make sense. First they say his plan is to
wipe out every language BUT English, then (oh what a twist!) he wants to wipe out ONLY English, which he explains to you IN English after extolling on his time covering your tracks while he worked for the CIA

I'm really starting to think that there was actually a bunch of stuff written for Big Boss, but Kiefer either wasn't available as much as they wanted him to be or he just didn't want to say a bunch of silly shit.

10 minute long
Skull Face

You get some cassette tapes that help explain it a bit better but yeah silent snake is really weird

swimbuff

So I backed up my save and went on Mission 29 with Quiet as buddy. Happy to report that everything went smooth with the game progressing just fine. I played up to Mission 31 and was able to reload the game and continue from there with no issues.

I'm not saying the game breaking issue isn't present, but if you've got a save backed-up I guess you can go ahead with Quiet on that mission and see if you get lucky? I didn't use the Butterfly emblem, if that matters.

Found a small group of PFs with a jeep waiting at some crossroads. Took them out and stole the jeep. Drove the jeep up to the projected path of the caravan, and parked the jeep on the road when I saw them coming. Hid behind a rock. Waited for the caravan to stop because the jeep was blocking. Threw a bunch of smoke grenades, ran up, fultoned the APC, the Skulls aggroed, Quiet started shooting them, fultoned the jeep while they were distracted, go back into my jeep, drove the fuck away while the Skulls were chasing me until I was out of the hot zone.
Much easier method is to go in with D-Walker, go straight to the upper left corner of the airport, walk to the Truck to trigger Skulls, gatling gun them, then fulton truck. Honestly takes less than 5 minutes.

pa22word

I'm really early in the game, but I was just listening to old MGS music a little bit ago, and it got me thinking: is there any iteration at all of the classic MGS theme anywhere in this game? I know it was featured in MGS4 in an edited form due to the plagiarism scandal, but I haven't heard any talk about it showing up here at all.

CHC

I'm really starting to think that there was actually a bunch of stuff written for Big Boss, but Kiefer either wasn't available as much as they wanted him to be or he just didn't want to say a bunch of silly shit.

That's what I think too. Either it was too expensive or scheduling didn't work out and they had to relegate a lot of VA work to the cassette tapes.

But yeah that whole scene was clearly supposed to climactic but really I was just shrugging the whole way through, like "really!? THAT'S your plan?"

KorrZ

Finally got my bandana. Now I feel like Snake again.

Also did my first attempt at a subsistence mission last night (Mission 33)
it was a retread of the C2W early game mission to destroy communications. I have mixed feelings about this, it was kind of cool having to rush in and out with no equipment but it also feels a bit unbalanced. You have less tools available than the start of the game, but the soldiers are all decked out in end game gear with body armor, helmets, shields etc. I felt like I didn't really have any choice but to rush in loud and then bail ASAP.

Do you get anything for doing all of these mission retreads or are they purely optional?

Minamu

I saw in the Best Friends Play LP that they could manually zoom with the binoculars, not just jump between preset settings. How do you do that? Is it possible on the ps4?

jett

D-Member
Endgame spoilers :

if you finish all the main missions (up to 46) without completing Paz' "side quest," will it disappear forever? A friend of mine says he's locked out of her room and can't re enter after only showing seven photos.

I think this might be the case. The same thing happened to me. It's probably a bug.

ced

I'm starting ep 23 and starting to get burned out. I can only go back to the same locations so many times even if the gameplay can be drastically different each time.

What's the point in having so many weapons to develop? In Peace Walker, you had boss battles against mechs wherein having powerful rocket launchers, machine guns, assault rifles, etc. were a must in quickly dispatching the boss, or even be able to beat it at all. You had numerous tanks to take out, as well as helicopters (and having a sniper helped quickly beat them).

In Phantom Pain, I'm getting close to the end of the game and I just don't see the point. In Peace Walker, it felt like you were progressing to where you were powerful enough to S rank the very difficult Side Ops missions. In Phantom Pain, it feels like busy work.

I just hope before I've beaten every Main Op and Side Op, there are some missions where I will be thankful to have a really high level Rocket Launcher or Machine Gun. It's just pointless right now.

Cetra

I've been calling the "pick-up" option every time I wanted to get back to the helicopter for 30 hours. Didn't realize till today that I can just hit pause and select "Return to ACC". smh

Are you fucking serious? WHOA!

I've been calling for Pick Ups as well this whole time. Great googly moogly, haha.

duckroll

I'm starting ep 23 and starting to get burned out. I can only go back to the same locations so many times even if the gameplay can be drastically different each time.

Just stop doing most side ops for now. If you do main ops continuously, you're always going to new areas in the region which haven't been used before.

ced

Jesus, Mission 16 has to be the biggest bunch of bullshit so far. Terrible design.

I've seen a lot of complaints about that one, I guess I got lucky.

If you put Quiet in cover mode when the Skulls pop out she will keep them busy and I was able to just crawl around to the truck and drive it off without them doing a thing.

Interfectum

Woke up this morning, browsing this thread while I chug some coffee.

I see that not only can you use Return to ACC in the field after it auto-saves but you can Cardboard Box travel in the field too??

After 98 hours and 60% completion, this news makes me feel everything I thought I knew was a lie.

b28a3a52ee99399a5389e758f7de87b6.gif

Dunno if you know this or not but you can hop on top of a cargo crate, fulton it and grab on to immediately go back to the ACC as well.

What's the point in having so many weapons to develop? In Peace Walker, you had boss battles against mechs wherein having powerful rocket launchers, machine guns, assault rifles, etc. were a must in quickly dispatching the boss, or even be able to beat it at all. You had numerous tanks to take out, as well as helicopters (and having a sniper helped quickly beat them).

In Phantom Pain, I'm getting close to the end of the game and I just don't see the point. In Peace Walker, it felt like you were progressing to where you were powerful enough to S rank the very difficult Side Ops missions. In Phantom Pain, it feels like busy work.

I just hope before I've beaten every Main Op and Side Op, there are some missions where I will be thankful to have a really high level Rocket Launcher or Machine Gun. It's just pointless right now.

I like the variety of ways I can approach missions I've done because of the arsenal of weapons I have. Also, certain attachments can only be gained by researching specific weapons (like medium-durability suppressors for pistols, assault rifles and sniper rifles). And, OP rocket launchers are hella fun to use in missions against heavy battalions.

Minamu

I've seen a lot of complaints about that one, I guess I got lucky.

If you put Quiet in cover mode when the Skulls pop out she will keep them busy and I was able to just crawl around to the truck and drive it off without them doing a thing.
I had a tranq rifle by then and it did next to nothing :/ Rockets were the thing that saved me. That, and an AK by the end.

Dunno if you know this or not but you can hop on top of a cargo crate, fulton it and grab on to immediately go back to the ACC as well.

This is another thing I didn't find out until late in the game
(already had wormhole fultons lol)
but yeah, seems like a lot of people don't know this too, so thanks for the info.

The ACC Pause trick helps if there are no cargo crates, but yeah, I always leave on a crate when the option is there.

I like the variety of ways I can approach missions I've done because of the arsenal of weapons I have. Also, certain attachments can only be gained by researching specific weapons (like medium-durability suppressors for pistols, assault rifles and sniper rifles). And, OP rocket launchers are hella fun to use in missions against heavy battalions.

The variety is nice, but as somebody who plays stealthily and non-lethally, having 6 SMG's doesn't do anything for me. Now, I wouldn't have a problem if there were missions where you had to do damage to non-living things, so having a huge arsenal is a boon, but that's not the case in Phantom Pain. I guess part of the problem is balance, and part of it is not having boss battles/mini boss battles.

Geg

Finally got my bandana. Now I feel like Snake again.

Also did my first attempt at a subsistence mission last night (Mission 33)
it was a retread of the C2W early game mission to destroy communications. I have mixed feelings about this, it was kind of cool having to rush in and out with no equipment but it also feels a bit unbalanced. You have less tools available than the start of the game, but the soldiers are all decked out in end game gear with body armor, helmets, shields etc. I felt like I didn't really have any choice but to rush in loud and then bail ASAP.

Do you get anything for doing all of these mission retreads or are they purely optional?

I was told that yeah, they're optional. I think all you get from completing them is more GMP than from normal story missions. I think mission 34 for example gives like 420000

Greddleok

The variety is nice, but as somebody who plays stealthily and non-lethally, having 6 SMG's doesn't do anything for me. Now, I wouldn't have a problem if there were missions where you had to do damage to non-living things, so having a huge arsenal is a boon, but that's not the case in Phantom Pain. I guess part of the problem is balance, and part of it is not having boss battles/mini boss battles.

So you're complaint is "Why are there so many options? I limit myself to one option so there's no point in more!"

I do the missions multiple times, with multiple strategies. All the different guns are just fantastic and means missions feel fresh each time I approach one again.

The biggest example I can give to keep researching stuff with a stealth/non-lethal play style is getting a Suppressor for the US-ARC-NL, the non-lethal assault rifle. I can't get it until my R&D and some other team are at level 53, which is damn high even for me right now, and I had to research the weapon a handful of times now just to get to that point.

The best HIP primary I have for stealth atm is a low-suppressor air shotgun, but I want the distance and accuracy of that assault rifle so bad. It's a good combo between NL sniper rifle and NL uzi.

Top Bottom