• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain |OT2| A Franchise Robbed Of Its Future

Hasney

Oh yeah, does anyone elses controllers lag out while playing this? Like for a little while it'll become unresponsive or hold directions longer than you actually hold it?

Only started happening while playing MGS, but I've only played this for over a week so I don't know if it's the game or my PS4 having issues.

Oh yeah, does anyone elses controllers lag out while playing this? Like for a little while it'll become unresponsive or hold directions longer than you actually hold it?

Only started happening while playing MGS, but I've only played this for over a week so I don't know if it's the game or my PS4 having issues.

Yes, this happens to me on XBox One, the sound will stutter for 3 seconds, and the game will become a little choppy, and the controls behave as you describe. It's an annoyance more than anything, it happens maybe once or twice an hour. I figured the game is pinging the server or something.

d9b

Banned

Nope. PS4 here too.

Hasney

Yes, this happens to me on XBox One, the sound will stutter for 3 seconds, and the game will become a little choppy, and the controls behave as you describe. It's an annoyance more than anything, it happens maybe once or twice an hour. I figured the game is pinging the server or something.

Sound and the actual game performance seem fine during it, but I think you might be right about the online being the issue. It acts like Rocket League when you're on a dodgy server.

I'll have PES next week so I'll find out if it's my console or what then.

Nope. PS4 here too.

Hm, staying connected or disconnecting?

CHC

I just finished Chapter 1.

To those that have beaten the game and unlocked the
true ending
... should I even bother? I'm really not very into this anymore and my stamina is pretty much sapped for doing the same mission objectives OVER and OVER at this point (extract, kill, or follow), and with the unlocking of
repeats of older missions (subsistence and extreme)
I just don't feel the need to go on. Is it worth it or should I just YouTube the endings and shelve it? I mean are there still interesting places to go and see and enjoyable scenarios to encounter, or is it just going to continue to be rehashes and grind work?

Does this game have any anything similar to the Carl Gustav M2 Fulton recovery in Peace Walker?

D-Walker can get the Fulton Ballista, which slowly pulls back a round and launches it in an arc, fultoning whatever it hits (person, vehicle, crate) automatically.

It only has 8 rounds and can only fulton one target at a time.

Ralemont

not me
I just finished Chapter 1.

To those that have beaten the game and unlocked the
true ending
... should I even bother? I'm really not very into this anymore and my stamina is pretty much sapped for doing the same mission objectives OVER and OVER at this point (extract, kill, or follow), and with the unlocking of
repeats of older missions (subsistence and extreme)
I just don't feel the need to go on. Is it worth it or should I just YouTube the endings and shelve it? I mean are there still interesting places to go and see and enjoyable scenarios to encounter, or is it just going to continue to be rehashes and grind work?

Maybe take a break and see how you feel? If your interest continues to wane then you'll know to stop, if you get the hankering again keep playing. Chapter 2 isn't better quality than Chapter 1 so if you're already feeling burned out it probably won't get better. There are a lot of cutscenes back at Mother Base, though.

Ralemont

not me
I've been calling the "pick-up" option every time I wanted to get back to the helicopter for 30 hours. Didn't realize till today that I can just hit pause and select "Return to ACC". smh

I think it's time for a dailer reminder of MGSV travel lifehacks!

1. Return to ACC after autosave anywhere in the field.
2. Cardboard box travel exists by taking invoices from the orange box platforms in the bigger bases.
3. Once you can fulton containers, jump on top, fulton, and then hold on to exfiltrate on top of a container.

So basically, after completing a side op press pause and Return to ACC. After completing an objective in a mission (or side op) find a container and exfiltrate yourself by hopping on top. If there's no container, leave the hot zone and then return to ACC.

54-46!

I think it's time for a dailer reminder of MGSV travel lifehacks!

1. Return to ACC after autosave anywhere in the field.
2. Cardboard box travel exists by taking invoices from the orange box platforms in the bigger bases.
3. Once you can fulton containers, jump on top, fulton, and then hold on to exfiltrate on top of a container.

So basically, after completing a side op press pause and Return to ACC. After completing an objective in a mission (or side op) find a container and exfiltrate yourself by hopping on top. If there's no container, leave the hot zone and then return to ACC.

I'm pretty sure you can also force an autosave by going in to Combat deployment and then go return to ACC.

CHC

Maybe take a break and see how you feel? If your interest continues to wane then you'll know to stop, if you get the hankering again keep playing. Chapter 2 isn't better quality than Chapter 1 so if you're already feeling burned out it probably won't get better. There are a lot of cutscenes back at Mother Base, though.

Alright, thanks for the input. I have a feeling I'm not going to want to revisit it. It's sad but I just find that everytime anything happens in this game I find myself shrugging and being like "whatever."

I can't see any plot twists or developments that would make it worth continuing at this point, the whole story seems to be kind of a write-off for me.

A few random questions, I am about 10 hrs in and just wrapped up Story Mission 9 I believe. Feel free to be as spoilery as possible in response.

1. What is there to do in Mother Base? I return after every mission or two, run around a bit all of the various platforms but don't really find anything substantial outside of saluting soldiers and the occasional diamond. Should I be returning frequently, and if so, where?

2. I have heard that there are specific story bits / cutscenes that are difficult to trigger. Is there a comprehensive list somewhere? I would hate to miss something. Specifically, I read, BIG SPOILER
That you can find Paz by going to the Medical Wing and using your night vision goggles or something.

3. Is there a definitive guide to get the True Ending? Again I have heard / read bits and pieces of needing to replay certain missions.

4. Any key weapons or items I should be researching? I am still using the tranq pistol 95% of the time. Hearing bout this awesome tool box I want to experiment some more but I still primarily just crawl / tranq (or choke) / fulton and repeat for most missions.

5. Should I make an effort to fulton soldiers with specific skills? If so which are critical? Right now I am pretty much snatching up everyone.

Thanks!

max_505

Err... sorry if this has been asked before, but how do you grab on to something you've fultoned? Playing on the PC with an Xbox controller.

Free UK PSN code for Ground Zeros if anyone wants.

First to reply gets it... And the code.

Got it with my pre order but already had the game plus it was free on PS+ so meh :p

Canti

So mission 16...
I ended up just bombarding the hell out of the tanks and snipers via bombing the hell out of them. Then I just rocket launched the hell out of the scull guys

Hardest mission so far. How did you guys approach this?

Everyone sharing their elite strategies with this and I totally hammed it up.

Had a checkpoint at a village outpost, truck only stayed their a short while before departing (not long enough to stealth in). First time I accidentally detroy the truck while missling the tanks, game over. Next try, I shot out the tires and then had a long drawn out battle with myself and Quiet sniping everyone until the post was captured. Approached the truck and was surprised by the mini-boss battle, unprepared and died. Did this again, now equipped with rocket launcher/grenade launcher, still died. Next try, forgot to shoot out the truck tires and it escaped...

So I sprint after it, taking the shortcut over the hill to meet it on the other side of the airbase. Missile the tank in front, causing the truck to stop. Tranq the driver. Can't fulton the truck as I didn't have the skill at the time. Get into another battle with skulls and use up all my weapons sans grenades. Just myself and one skull left, my screen covered in tomato ketchup (one hit from death). So basically, I ran around in wide circles throwing grenades hoping the final skull would be caught by splash damage. He kept teleporting away but after several minutes I finally got him XD Fulton out the truck driver (which upgraded my fulton for vehicles, a bit too late!) and drove cross-country out of the hot zone.

I am the klutzeist super soldier alive.

Also several missions later
on taking out the arms dealer at the airport. First try, stealth all the way in, pick up loads of goodies, follow the truck and take them out from afar, but get spotted by an unmarked guard. The patrolling heli mows me down upon trying to escape. Next try, knowing their route, I just stealth around to the truck, lay in the back and wait for them to arrive. They turn up, tranq both and the walkers outside, airlift them to base. On escpaing, heli spots me again! Luckily, I strafe fire at it with a missile launcher as its raining machine gun fire on me, and by some miracle manage a hit. Just about high tail it out of there before backup arrives.

Fun times :D

J-Skee

All I want to do is listen to "The Tangerine" while I'm at work, but the companion app is so shitty. Can't turn the display off or exit out of the app to continue to listen to it. Why can't I just buy the damn song?

Free UK PSN code for Ground Zeros if anyone wants.

First to reply gets it... And the code.

Got it with my pre order but already had the game plus it was free on PS+ so meh :p
If it works in Spain id love to have it!

Edit: Just looked it up and they seem to be locked by region; but thanks anyway!

Woffls

oh for fuck sake. I was doing an S-rank run on extreme Code Talker and
I'd beaten all four skulls without being detected and made it to the mansion.
Then I get invaded and for some reason I thought I should go deal with it.

I turn up and my security dealt with the guy in a matter of seconds, and I lost my checkpoint in the mission. Now I gotta' restart :( I wish the game made it clear that this would happen... and the official guide didn't say as much either.

catspit

I was curious why a side op mission I have completed has a checkmark for it but it's still selectable.. Is this a bug or is it so some side can be replayed ?

Ralemont

not me

I turn up and my security dealt with the guy in a matter of seconds, and I lost my checkpoint in the mission. Now I gotta' restart :( I wish the game made it clear that this would happen... and the official guide didn't say as much either.

It tells you you'll have to restart when the whole FOB thing is first introduced. Easier to miss than it should be, though.

jett

D-Member
In FOB it's total BS that the defender can respawn after you kill him. He even gets an invincibility period.

I don't think this mode was tested well at all. Anything beyond one strut is way too hard, especially with an actual human, and what you get in return is not even close to good enough. It takes forever for shit to be converted into usable resources, too.

In FOB it's total BS that the defender can respawn after you kill him. He even gets an invincibility period.

I don't think this mode was tested well at all. Anything beyond one strut is way too hard, especially with an actual human, and what you get in return is not even close to good enough. It takes forever for shit to be converted into usable resources, too.

Good - hopefully this is a good deterrent and people move away from this mode.

The less fun it is and the fewer people that invade as time goes on the more safe I will feel in building a fob lol!

Hasney

The less fun it is and the fewer people that invade as time goes on the more safe I will feel in building a fob lol!

I'll always be playing... Watching and waiting. I just enjoy it too much.

Unless MGO lives up to its potential of course

SomTervo

I'm like 40 hours in and have never once called an airstrike.

I'm a stealth purist, but I called an airstrike once when I was in a rush IRL and wanted to finish a certain mission.

It was... Surprisingly awesome. Expensive, though. And it doesn't hit a huge area.

Gonna ask again just in case. Any stealthy way to take out a chopper?

I am probably doing something wrong, but how does one use the electronic vehicle capture mine? I can't get it to work.

Put it on the road and it'll disable the vehicle and cause the driver to jump out. Most tanks just shoot them though.

If it makes you feel better you can easily s rank that mission in just a few minutes.

Just deploy with an armored car drive through the area with the skulls shooting at you. Get out, sneak to the door on the ground level on the side of the mansion (this is the only tricky part). Once inside go left into a hallway, run down and get code talker. As soon as you can call for the chopper and just run like hell dodging the zombie guys. Easy S rank.

SomTervo

I'm really early in the game, but I was just listening to old MGS music a little bit ago, and it got me thinking: is there any iteration at all of the classic MGS theme anywhere in this game? I know it was featured in MGS4 in an edited form due to the plagiarism scandal, but I haven't heard any talk about it showing up here at all.

50 hours in, i havent heard anything :(

I'm still gutted about this, 13 years later. That MGS theme tune was iconic for me. I don't understand why they can't just pay a licensing fee for the piece of music it was similar to and use an adapted version of that.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost

I just moved like 80% of my combat unit to my security force and set my security rating to the highest and almost all invasions against me fail

But FOB mode still kinda sucks, it's not particularly fun.

Top Bottom