• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain |OT2| A Franchise Robbed Of Its Future

tensuke

I was curious why a side op mission I have completed has a checkmark for it but it's still selectable.. Is this a bug or is it so some side can be replayed ?

So each map (Afghanistan, Africa, MB?) is separated into different "regions". You will always have one side op available from each region at a time. Side ops have a priority to them, 1-10 I think, the lowest priority goes first. So in one region, maybe the northwestern part of Afghanistan, say you have two side ops priorities 1 and 7 unlocked. The one with priority 1 will be available to play, then after you beat it, and go back to the acc, the priority 7 side op will be available to play in its place. If no new side op for a region is unlocked, you can play the last side op that was available for that region. That's why sometimes you can replay side ops you've already beaten.

artsi

Jesus, Mission 16 has to be the biggest bunch of bullshit so far. Terrible design.

After
the skulls come out
take the armored vehicle with the big cannon and shoot everything to pieces, it's easy.

Just move around (back and forth is enough) so you won't get killed.

Griss

Jesus, Mission 16 has to be the biggest bunch of bullshit so far. Terrible design.

I got stuck there the first time around, now I'm stuck there
on hard mode
. I must have made 30 efforts, but I can't deal with the
Skulls
. What's really frustrating is that Quiet refuses to fire on them or draw them off. And they destroy D-Walker with one hit so he's useless too. Gah, I hate them.

I just fultoned the tank out and killed them all with shotguns.

Got an S rank lol.

Honestly, though, how do people survive long enough to kill them? I'm down within 15 seconds and it makes me feel like I'm playing a different game when I hear people saying they took them on 1-on-1 or strafed them or whatever.

I hopped on D-Walker, got in, then drove the fuck out. Got an S rank. I laughed a lot because I failed like 10 times trying to be clever.

Yeah it's kind of funny about the game. Getting s ranks generally doesn't require skill or attempting to be all stealthy, just trying to finish the mission as fast as possible

I got stuck there the first time around, now I'm stuck there
on hard mode
. I must have made 30 efforts, but I can't deal with the
Skulls
. What's really frustrating is that Quiet refuses to fire on them or draw them off. And they destroy D-Walker with one hit so he's useless too. Gah, I hate them.

Honestly, though, how do people survive long enough to kill them? I'm down within 15 seconds and it makes me feel like I'm playing a different game when I hear people saying they took them on 1-on-1 or strafed them or whatever.

S rank for that mission
have d horse as your buddy, ride to the airport and climb over the wall on the back side. Fortunately the truck you need spawns right there. Go near it, the skulls activate. Quickly Fulton the truck. Start running whistle for d horse and ride like hell out of the airport and keep going. Eventually you'll exit the hot zone. Mission accomplished and s rank.

So once you reach the 30s or so in the main missions
it seems like they are harder versions of earlier missions
are these required? I feel like the main story isn't progressing and new missions aren't unlocking, but they aren't marked yellow and honestly it's unoriginal and not something I really feel like doing.

daveo42

Banned
I'm thinking I'll pass on S-Ranks and still clear out the "new" missions post 31 anyway. I've already dropped 75 hours up to this point and am expecting at least another 25-30 before I have the main missions and side-ops cleared out.

I'm still loving the game, but at some point I'll be ready to put it down and I don't want that to come before I actually clear these.

I can finally build a N
uclear
b
omb
!

Yeah, but just like everything else in the game, it takes a shit ton of fuel. I'm going to be grinding fuel and common metal for the rest of my life.

So once you reach the 30s or so in the main missions
it seems like they are harder versions of earlier missions
are these required? I feel like the main story isn't progressing and new missions aren't unlocking, but they aren't marked yellow and honestly it's unoriginal and not something I really feel like doing.

Not as far as you but from what I've read...
You don't have to do those. There should be a series of yellow side ops to do to progress the story.

Woffls

If it makes you feel better you can easily s rank that mission in just a few minutes.

Just deploy with an armored car drive through the area with the skulls shooting at you. Get out, sneak to the door on the ground level on the side of the mansion (this is the only tricky part). Once inside go left into a hallway, run down and get code talker. As soon as you can call for the chopper and just run like hell dodging the zombie guys. Easy S rank.
Oh >_< well, I did it anyway, and it was actually pretty easy once I learned the patterns of the early encounter. Kinda annoyed at myself for not getting 100% accuracy at the start but whatever.

Is it possible to get the 'no traces' bonus in this mission? Seems like they always notice that
the skulls have been eliminated even though I extracted all of them.
sr_zps8yjvdcre.png

Not as far as you but from what I've read...
You don't have to do those. There should be a series of yellow side ops to do to progress the story.
I did all the
yellow side ops. Is it possible you need to do other side op missions?
this is a major disappoint. Totally ruins the flow the first half of the game had.

Griss

S rank for that mission
have d horse as your buddy, ride to the airport and climb over the wall on the back side. Fortunately the truck you need spawns right there. Go near it, the skulls activate. Quickly Fulton the truck. Start running whistle for d horse and ride like hell out of the airport and keep going. Eventually you'll exit the hot zone. Mission accomplished and s rank.

This is my current strategy but if alerted the
Skulls
will shoot down any fulton balloon. So I'm still stuck needing to beat them. Even spamming smoke grenades hasn't given me the opening I need to fulton the damn thing.

Gonna ask again just in case. Any stealthy way to take out a chopper?

Put it on the road and it'll disable the vehicle and cause the driver to jump out. Most tanks just shoot them though.

As in bringing it down without being noticed? Shoot it from behind and go then go prone, it won't notice you but will shoot the area you fired from for a good couple of minutes (unless your gun is strong enough to have taken it down in one shot).

Skulls
will shoot down any fulton balloon. So I'm still stuck needing to beat them. Even spamming smoke grenades hasn't given me the opening I need to fulton the damn thing.

Ahh, shit. Yeah that would be a problem.
I had the worm hole fulton by then, and there's nothing they can do about that.

daveo42

Banned
I was expecting much worse from mission 45. Really wasn't that bad. 16 and 29 on the other hand....

16 is only hard if you try to go for stealth. A few rockets to the chest can make short work of the mission as long as your targets are far enough away from the extraction vehicle. A strong wind would cause that truck to blow up
for very obvious post-mission reasons.

29 is the same, though having a high-damage close-range weapon like a shotgun. D-Walker is good in both too if properly equipped.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I'm only on mission 16, but so far, this is the biggest disappointment of the year. The game has no momentum whatsoever. The mechanics are amazing, but this game just feels so aimless.

So... I dunno. Maybe this thing picks up at some point, but it's so repetitive that I'm not sure I even want to see it through. I can't believe I'm saying this about an MGS game.

tensuke

For mission 16 I
initially tried to cut the truck off at an outpost, so I laid wait until it came by. I shot the tanks with rockets but the truck kept getting destroyed in the firefight before I could get to it. At one point the game saved a checkpoint with the truck on fire, so every time I started again it would explode seconds later. So I restarted and headed straight for the airport, I went up near the truck and fultoned as many guys nearby as I could, then snuck up near the truck and triggered the skulls. Before they saw me, though, I snuck behind that building next to the truck. Then I told Quiet to attack, and she actually managed to take out two of the Skulls while I sat in a box behind the building. Eventually one of them walked back there and saw me, so I had to rocket them to death. Ended up getting an S-rank lol.

Nemesis_

Mission 16 is easy as balls, why is everyone complaining about it

I really struggled with the Skulls because I was so afraid to experiment with defeating them and just ran away. I guess people might feel the same? Thought now replaying these missions I don't feel anyway near as bad.

Woffls

Mission 16 is easy as balls, why is everyone complaining about it
Because the encouraged way of doing the mission is utter bullshit. I struggled with it immensely until I got the right equipment to basically circumvent the whole mission.

CHC

I'm only on mission 16, but so far, this is the biggest disappointment of the year. The game has no momentum whatsoever. The mechanics are amazing, but this game just feels so aimless.

So... I dunno. Maybe this thing picks up at some point, but it's so repetitive that I'm not sure I even want to see it through. I can't believe I'm saying this about an MGS game.

My thoughts exaclty.

What I did:
Honestly I just stopped playing during Chapter 2 and dove head first into the spoiler thread. I feel bad for ruining the ending but I feel worse that I actually wanted to rather than play it to completion. Either way I feel closure I guess, I probably will not finish the game, there are other things I would rather do.

BiGBoSSMk23

A company being excited for their new game is a huge slap in the face to all the fans that liked their old games.
Once you hit a checkpoint save, you can just esc/back/options->Return to ACC to skip the wait time on both the heli arriving and flying out.

This should have been in the OT title.

Setsuna

Alright combat deployments are bugged I was on mother base for 3 hours listening to cassettes and running combat trials

I cleared out everything (helmets body armor etc etc) then all of a sudden its filled to the brim with things again

So you're complaint is "Why are there so many options? I limit myself to one option so there's no point in more!"

I do the missions multiple times, with multiple strategies. All the different guns are just fantastic and means missions feel fresh each time I approach one again.

Metal Gear Solid: The Phantom Pain is a stealth game. It's designed to reward stealth, and especially non-lethal stealth. Furthermore, ever since Metal Gear Solid 2 (and to a degree Metal Gear Solid), players have been rewarded for not only being very stealthy, but also by no killing anyone. MGSV:TPP is no different. Furthermore, the game is designed both in the staff building mechanic and the alert systems to discourage killing.

Here is my complaint: There are over 300 items to develop, with probably half of those being weapons. It takes a lot of time and resources to develop these guns, and if there is virtually no reason to develop them other than possibly getting a weapon part upgrade or to just murder everything, then it feels like bloat. Again, I emphasize that in Peace Walker, a game with similar designs, there were probably 50 or more Side Ops missions in which having lethal weapons - specifically rocket launchers, machine guns, snipers - is more or less required to beat the level, let alone get an S rank. Plus, there are bosses that require lethal guns to defeat. So even though in Peace Walker you similarly needed use non lethal methods to dispatch of enemies, there was still a purpose for developing the 75+ lethal weapons.

In The Phantom Pain, if the only reason to develop them is to kill enemies in a game that discourages killing for fun, that's not a very good reason for how much time and resources you need to pour into it.

So your quip about me limiting myself to one option isn't a very fair rebuttal.

BiGBoSSMk23

A company being excited for their new game is a huge slap in the face to all the fans that liked their old games.
For mission 16 I
initially tried to cut the truck off at an outpost, so I laid wait until it came by. I shot the tanks with rockets but the truck kept getting destroyed in the firefight before I could get to it. At one point the game saved a checkpoint with the truck on fire, so every time I started again it would explode seconds later. So I restarted and headed straight for the airport, I went up near the truck and fultoned as many guys nearby as I could, then snuck up near the truck and triggered the skulls. Before they saw me, though, I snuck behind that building next to the truck. Then I told Quiet to attack, and she actually managed to take out two of the Skulls while I sat in a box behind the building. Eventually one of them walked back there and saw me, so I had to rocket them to death. Ended up getting an S-rank lol.

I just used one of the tanks on them... With Quiets help it was short work.

S rank too ;3

Metal Gear Solid: The Phantom Pain is a stealth game. It's designed to reward stealth, and especially non-lethal stealth. Furthermore, ever since Metal Gear Solid 2 (and to a degree Metal Gear Solid), players have been rewarded for not only being very stealthy, but also by no killing anyone. MGSV:TPP is no different. Furthermore, the game is designed both in the staff building mechanic and the alert systems to discourage killing.

Here is my complaint: There are over 300 items to develop, with probably half of those being weapons. It takes a lot of time and resources to develop these guns, and if there is virtually no reason to develop them other than possibly getting a weapon part upgrade or to just murder everything, then it feels like bloat. Again, I emphasize that in Peace Walker, a game with similar designs, there were probably 50 or more Side Ops missions in which having lethal weapons - specifically rocket launchers, machine guns, snipers - is more or less required to beat the level, let alone get an S rank. Plus, there are bosses that require lethal guns to defeat. So even though in Peace Walker you similarly needed use non lethal methods to dispatch of enemies, there was still a purpose for developing the 75+ lethal weapons.

In The Phantom Pain, if the only reason to develop them is to kill enemies in a game that discourages killing for fun, that's not a very good reason for how much time and resources you need to pour into it.

So your quip about me limiting myself to one option isn't a very fair rebuttal.

Stop caring about getting S rank? I think if you go for completing a mission in the least amount of time you can also get high ranks regardless of being discovered.

malfcn

I actually checked, played 6 missions and found Quiet. The guide says you are supposed to find her around 11. Damn, son.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Stop caring about getting S rank? I think if you go for completing a mission in the least amount of time you can also get high ranks regardless of being discovered.

Yup. You can kill everyone in an area, get spotted and shot multiple times and still S-Rank missions quite handily, if you are quick enough.

TPP is all about playing how you like. You're limited only by your vast toolset and your imagination. It's fucking genius.

BadHand

I accidentally figured out how to call in strikes via the binoculars last night when I called in a giant smoke grenade attack on an outpost. I ran in with my NVG on and they were all choking on the ground. I'm sure Ocelot explained this in the first mission or something though.

Pretty cool, too bad I'm post game and you can't use that stuff for S ranks.

Henkka

Banned
I accidentally figured out how to call in strikes via the binoculars last night when I called in a giant smoke grenade attack on an outpost. I ran in with my NVG on and they were all choking on the ground. I'm sure Ocelot explained this in the first mission or something though.

Pretty cool, too bad I'm post game and you can't use that stuff for S ranks.

I totally bullshitted my way through one of those Perfect Stealth repeat missions by using 2 air strikes. So stealthy.

WTF?!

Early
chapter 2
spoilers:

So I was doing some side-ops(nothing important, just usual stuff) with Quiet, and decided it's time to take a break and come back to mother base. When I came back I was greeted with a cutscene showing Ocelot and Kaz torturing Quite, saying that she is infected?! And Big Boss is acting like he knew about it?!!!!

Okay, seriously what the fuck? I feel like I missed on some cutscenes/tapes or something. They didn't even asked me to come back to mother base. Is that normal or have I missed something?

Sifl

WTF?!

Early
chapter 2
spoilers:

So I was doing some side-ops(nothing important, just usual stuff) with Quiet, and decided it's time to take a break and come back to mother base. When I came back I was greeted with a cutscene showing Ocelot and Kaz torturing Quite, saying that she is infected?! And Big Boss is acting like he knew about it?!!!!

Okay, seriously what the fuck? I feel like I missed on some cutscenes/tapes or something. They didn't even asked me to come back to mother base. Is that normal or have I missed something?
Chapter 2
is a giant mess, you should honestly stop because it's going to get worse.

WTF?!

Early
chapter 2
spoilers:

welcome to
chapter 2

theyoungwolf

Neo Member
Skulls

either develop better fulton or hand me the controller over the air and i can help you with it. the problem most people have with the skulls is that they are too stationary. i had my own headache with them on the
metallic archaea mission
took me a few tries before i started putting obstructions between me and them like the downed tanks or plane inside the hangar. the d-horse strat is gold if you have the late game multi-balloon or wormhole. if i were you i'd take d walker and sprint in different directions until one catches up to you and starts emitting that shit smoke do what you have to do and run to a different position.

WTF?!

Early
chapter 2
spoilers:

That's why we have a topic about whether the game is unfinished, or not. And it is definitely unfinished.

Top Bottom