• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain |OT2| A Franchise Robbed Of Its Future

Lolcomin

Banned
Because the encouraged way of doing the mission is utter bullshit. I struggled with it immensely until I got the right equipment to basically circumvent the whole mission.
There is no encouraged way, if you read the Intel file, you can circumvent the whole mission easily

Stop caring about getting S rank? I think if you go for completing a mission in the least amount of time you can also get high ranks regardless of being discovered.

That's not the issue...

Maybe it's just me, but I appreciated that in Peace Walker gave me reasons to want to develop lethal weapons, especially stuff like rocket launchers and machine guns. I just feel like The Phantom Pain's reasons are pretty weak. Sure, I could be Rambo, and I am glad that people who just want to kill everyone has that option; however, in a stealth game - and this is a stealth game - I think that is a pretty mediocre reason.

The best way to explain it is in Peace Walker, you needed rocket launchers, machine guns, grenades, etc. to be able to beat probably 50% of the game - even if you are otherwise playing non-lethally. So as somebody who plays non-lethally, I understood why I needed to put in the time to get the resources and develop all those lethal weapons. And it was fun!

In The Phantom Pain, other than 3 or 4 missions, I don't need anything lethal be it rocket launchers, grenades, C4, etc. The only reason, aside from finding a new weapon part, for using lethal weapons is if you want to kill enemies. Considering the game is designed to discourage that, I think it's a weak reason.

I'm glad the weapons are there for those that just want to kill a bunch of dudes. Sometimes I just take out people too. I'm not arguing against their inclusion, I'm saying there isn't much justification for them.

At the very worst, I'm disappointed that Peace Walker justified lethal weapons that you would normally never use and had missions that were very fun where they were required, and that The Phantom Pain doesn't do it. In that respect, a PSP game outshines a current gen AAA GOTY candidate.

Just got 2 more missions to S rank. Fucking Mission 34 is one of them. I hated this mission the first time I played it too.

edit: Also wish you could buy resources with GMP. I have too much resources and I need a lot more Golden Crescent.

Nerrel

Honestly, though, how do people survive long enough to kill them? I'm down within 15 seconds and it makes me feel like I'm playing a different game when I hear people saying they took them on 1-on-1 or strafed them or whatever.

I approached the
truck when it stopped a the first checkpoint and snuck close enough to trigger the skulls,
then laid C4 clusters nearby and hid.
The skulls will shamble towards you even if you haven't been spotted, so with a little patience they'll step on your trap and you can blow them to hell without even engaging them.
I also put some C4 on one of the tanks for an even bigger explosion to take out the survivors of the first trap.

I had to restart at least 6 or 7 times and I was feeling really pissed by the time I found this strategy, but at least I got an S rank for it. If you go in with tranq/non-lethals and don't bring some explosives, you're kind of fucked.

Branson

That's not the issue...

Maybe it's just me, but I appreciated that in Peace Walker gave me reasons to want to develop lethal weapons, especially stuff like rocket launchers and machine guns. I just feel like The Phantom Pain's reasons are pretty weak. Sure, I could be Rambo, and I am glad that people who just want to kill everyone has that option; however, in a stealth game - and this is a stealth game - I think that is a pretty mediocre reason.

The best way to explain it is in Peace Walker, you needed rocket launchers, machine guns, grenades, etc. to be able to beat probably 50% of the game - even if you are otherwise playing non-lethally. So as somebody who plays non-lethally, I understood why I needed to put in the time to get the resources and develop all those lethal weapons. And it was fun!

In The Phantom Pain, other than 3 or 4 missions, I don't need anything lethal be it rocket launchers, grenades, C4, etc. The only reason, aside from finding a new weapon part, for using lethal weapons is if you want to kill enemies. Considering the game is designed to discourage that, I think it's a weak reason.

I'm glad the weapons are there for those that just want to kill a bunch of dudes. Sometimes I just take out people too. I'm not arguing against their inclusion, I'm saying there isn't much justification for them.

At the very worst, I'm disappointed that Peace Walker justified lethal weapons that you would normally never use and had missions that were very fun where they were required, and that The Phantom Pain doesn't do it. In that respect, a PSP game outshines a current gen AAA GOTY candidate.

You can use Lethal weapons and get S ranks. It's ok to kill people in this game. Believe me there is nothing more satisfying to me than getting through a mission undetected and not killing anyone but when needed I still killed people if I ran out of tranqs or something and still got S ranks. The game is open enough for those play styles to mesh perfectly well. And it's great you don't have to do that for S ranks. It lets you experiment with the weapons you develop.

lawnchair

Banned
so for some reason i've found that i enjoy using the capture cages .. ..

but now it's telling me that i'm flat out of capture cages. i go back to the choppa, i go back to mother base, is select a new mission, etc. there's a warning exclamation mark next to where it says my capture cages are equipped, and i can't use them. what gives? sorry if this question has already been asked/answered..

You can use Lethal weapons and get S ranks. It's ok to kill people in this game. Believe me there is nothing more satisfying to me than getting through a mission undetected and not killing anyone but when needed I still killed people if I ran out of tranqs or something and still got S ranks. The game is open enough for those play styles to mesh perfectly well. And it's great you don't have to do that for S ranks. It lets you experiment with the weapons you develop.

Yea, I certainly have spent considerable resources on upgrading my rocket launcher. I'm pretty sure you go undetected if you use it like a sniper rifle. If I had the extra resources I would definitely experiment more with the other lethal/non-lethal options but the game seems to try and limit you from just researching everything, at least where I'm at (mission 22).

I find that when I just let go of the notion that I need to play a certain way and get creative in the heat of the moment, the game can really shine and a lot of times rewards you.

so for some reason i've found that i enjoy using the capture cages .. ..

but now it's telling me that i'm flat out of capture cages. i go back to the choppa, i go back to mother base, is select a new mission, etc. there's a warning exclamation mark next to where it says my capture cages are equipped, and i can't use them. what gives? sorry if this question has already been asked/answered..

Is it maybe that you are out of whatever resource is required to deploy with them?

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
That's why we have a topic about whether the game is unfinished, or not. And it is definitely unfinished.

Plot holes do not make a game "unfinished". And truthfully, this particular thing that's being talked about isn't one really.

Quiet is a prisoner. She is permanently listed as being in the brig, so interrogating her isn't exactly a surprise. Kaz never trusts her and has been pushing BB to execute her from day #1, whilst Ocelot is only cool about it as he trusts BB to take care of business like he promised when she first came aboard. That she's "infected" is kind of a no-brainer given obvious connections made between the Skulls'/Skullface's abilities and their connection to Code Talker's research. Doubly so after Skullface monologued about his ultimate plan being unleashing the English strain of the language virus, and Kaz's continuing slide into paranoia.

Do you really need every detail spelling for you?

well gee, i suppose it might be. i didn't know resources were required to deploy with equipments..

Yeah I noticed that going in with stun nades uses 20 fuel each deployment so have taken them off my loudout

I don't know if they actually cost the resource unless you use them but I was worried in case they do :/

mcz117chief

Hey, guys. Since Portable OPS is my favourite Metal Gear I wanted to ask you if Calling to the Night is present in Metal Gear Solid V. It is my by far favourite Metal Gear Solid song and I would be heartbroken if it wasn't in the game. I can't find any solid evidence that it is there so I wanted to ask you if you have found it. It is, after all, present in Peace Walker and 4.

Cheers.

Ralemont

not me
Do you really need every detail spelling for you?

The Quiet scenes can feel really out of place in the story continuity, though. Like you can get that scene right after the rain scene. So in one scene it looks like
they are borderline about to fuck right on the MB platform and then the next Snake is watching her being tortured with an impassive look on his face. Super weird.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
I didn't get a new mission after 42 and I avoided using Quiet on 29/42 because I knew about the bug. This happen to anyone else? There are no important side ops or anything either. Do I have to finish a Combat Deployment Mission that's yellow? I've tried this one I have 3 times and 3 times it failed because I can't get higher than like 55% on it
It's the one where you have to send out Walker Gear

Gorillaz

Mission 16 fuckery pissed me off. Literally just
rushed to the airport and set up decoys everywhere then when the skulls came out I sawed off shotgun the shit out 2 of them and Fulton the truck in 2 mins fucking ridiculous

Im just leaving the sawed off with me now at all times if handling these missions gives me an S rank that easily

Sifl

I didn't get a new mission after 42 and I avoided using Quiet on 29/42 because I knew about the bug. This happen to anyone else? There are no important side ops or anything either. Do I have to finish a Combat Deployment Mission that's yellow? I've tried this one I have 3 times and 3 times it failed because I can't get higher than like 55% on it
It's the one where you have to send out Walker Gear
This might be a coincidence but I just
did 2 side ops where you kill those puppet/zombie things and the next story mission unlocked for me.

Jintor

The Quiet scenes can feel really out of place in the story continuity, though. Like you can get that scene right after the rain scene. So in one scene it looks like
they are borderline about to fuck right on the MB platform and then the next Snake is watching her being tortured with an impassive look on his face. Super weird.

Literally what happened to me.

lawnchair

Banned
Yeah I noticed that going in with stun nades uses 20 fuel each deployment so have taken them off my loudout

I don't know if they actually cost the resource unless you use them but I was worried in case they do :/

that is a bummer. throwing capture cages around was just a fun little part of what i was doing every single mission, i guess i have to save them for special occasions now. :\

AEREC

WTF?!

Early
chapter 2
spoilers:

So I was doing some side-ops(nothing important, just usual stuff) with Quiet, and decided it's time to take a break and come back to mother base. When I came back I was greeted with a cutscene showing Ocelot and Kaz torturing Quite, saying that she is infected?! And Big Boss is acting like he knew about it?!!!!

Okay, seriously what the fuck? I feel like I missed on some cutscenes/tapes or something. They didn't even asked me to come back to mother base. Is that normal or have I missed something?

Ya...I think this was the moment my immersion was killed in this game. What's even more jarring is that I had just used
her as a buddy
right before this cutscene.

That particular scene definitely felt out of sync with the rest of the game. Chapter 2 is feeling like a series of outtakes at this point.

Also annoying are (mid
chapter2
spoilers):

Eli,
and how he starts randomly calling you father without any explanation...though I know your meant to think he's liquid. The game alludes to this but never gives any narrative confirmation.

Huey,
dude keep fucking up and getting people killed, and betraying them...yet they let him go about his business at MB for the longest time.

Still incredible game in almost every way but the story at this point.

Spazznid

Fuck mission 43 in particular.

FUCK the virus, Fuck shooting all my S ranks, FUCK THAT FINAL SCENE WHERE ALL MY BROTHERS ARE HUMMING THE PEACE WALKER THEME AND SALUTING ME WHILE I HEADSHOT THEM, and FUCK THAT ONE GUY WHO LIVED BUT HAD ALL D-RANK SKILLS AND THEN HAD TO DIE ANYWAYS!

And most of all FUCK HUEY. When I'm at my highest highs, you undermine me, and when I'm at my lowest lows, you berate me. FUCK you Huey. I'm glad
You lost your son

I'm gonna say it. I'm gonna say it...

I don't care that you hurt your legs.

Wow. Mission 28 is awesome.
I wish I didn't have to do the sniper fight if I replayed the mission. It was a cool fight, but I just want to infiltrate the mansion over and over again. Bummer. If I used Quiet on 28 do I automaically go into chapter 29 where the bug is? I haven't got on the chopper yet?

kiyomi

I'm about 11 missions in.

I just got told that a platform was being created (or something) where animals would be kept and that I could go visit it?

But I can't seem to find it. Am I missing something?

Spazznid

Wow. Mission 28 is awesome.
I wish I didn't have to do the sniper fight if I replayed the mission. It was a cool fight, but I just want to infiltrate the mansion over and over again. Bummer. If I used Quiet on 28 do I automaically go into chapter 29 where the bug is? I haven't got on the chopper yet?

Nah, you good. To be continued and stuff.

I'm about 11 missions in.

I just got told that a platform was being created (or something) where animals would be kept and that I could go visit it?

But I can't seem to find it. Am I missing something?

Hit Y/Triangle on the Mother Base map when selecting a destination in the chopper.

hypotc

Is there a device that can change weather / create sandstorms etc?

I think I saw something avout that somewhere. If yes, how can I develop it? I've completed the story etc.

Qwell

Does anyone know how long it takes for the material containers to respawn in the game? I've heard some people say 5 in game days, some people say you have to complete 5 missions, and other guesses. I'm pretty sure I have had both of the above scenarios without them respawning yet and I needs my fuel.

Hey, guys. Since Portable OPS is my favourite Metal Gear I wanted to ask you if Calling to the Night is present in Metal Gear Solid V. It is my by far favourite Metal Gear Solid song and I would be heartbroken if it wasn't in the game. I can't find any solid evidence that it is there so I wanted to ask you if you have found it. It is, after all, present in Peace Walker and 4.

Cheers.

It is not.

Cassette spoilers

Snake Eater is in. And the instrumental of Heaven's Divide is in. But that's it.

20cent

Banned
Ya...I think this was the moment my immersion was killed in this game. What's even more jarring is that I had just used
her as a buddy
right before this cutscene.

That particular scene definitely felt out of sync with the rest of the game. Chapter 2 is feeling like a series of outtakes at this point.

Also annoying are (mid
chapter2
spoilers):

Eli,
and how he starts randomly calling you father without any explanation...though I know your meant to think he's liquid. The game alludes to this but never gives any narrative confirmation.

Huey,
dude keep fucking up and getting people killed, and betraying them...yet they let him go about his business at MB for the longest time.

Still incredible game in almost every way but the story at this point.

Jesus, just played through all of these and I thought that I missed tapes or skipped something while browsing/customizing on the iDroid.....

Just like the tapes actually, I never know if they give them to us too late or if I am too slow to catch up. It's like listening to what I already know or what I am supposed to do in the mission I just finished.

papo

I just wish I could fulton more stuff. Trees, Guard posts, buildings, fences, lights, bodies of water, sand, radar.

I love this game and usually take the stealth approach. and fulton everything in my way.

I'd say I'm about 35+ hours in and just passed mission 23. I had a full waiting room about 10 missions back lol

Haunted

I like it in here much better. People in the spoiler thread are bitter and jaded as fuck.
I think that's completely normal.

People tend to think more analytically and critically about something when they're done with it compared to when they were in the thick of it.

I'm seeing it happen with myself on a smaller scale every time I come in this thread and stop to collect and articulate my thoughts on the game's design, characters, writing etc.

And the more I think about it, the more I find to be critical about. I can already guess that if I'm to post in the spoiler thread after I'm done with the game, my judgement will not fall on the super enthusiastic side. That said, I'm still having a lot of fun playing it and I'm actively choosing MGSV over other, good games to play atm, so there's that. :D

Jesus, just played through all of these and I thought that I missed tapes or skipped something while browsing/customizing on the iDroid.....

Just like the tapes actually, I never know if they give them to us too late or if I am too slow to catch up. It's like listening to what I already know or what I am supposed to do in the mission I just finished.
I think the tapes are quite literally filled with the voice work that would have been in mandatory mid-mission codec calls in previous MGS games. Hence much of the information in them seems better suited to before/during the mission instead of after.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
So im stuck at
Episode 45: A Quiet Exit
I clearly didnt equip well enough for the mission, is there any way to go back to the ACC ?

Haunted

So im stuck at
Episode 45: A Quiet Exit
I clearly didnt equip well enough for the mission, is there any way to go back to the ACC ?
You can abandon the mission zone (via leaving or container extraction), but quicker would probably be to let the enemy kill you and choose Return to ACC from the load menu.

Guymelef

Anybody else has problem with 5.1 sound on PS4?
Not a single sound from back speakers, not real 5.1 but after you finish Mission 1 the video with scenes from Ground Zeroes is in 5.1.

Alienous

FUCK the virus, Fuck shooting all my S ranks, FUCK THAT FINAL SCENE WHERE ALL MY BROTHERS ARE HUMMING THE PEACE WALKER THEME AND SALUTING ME WHILE I HEADSHOT THEM, and FUCK THAT ONE GUY WHO LIVED BUT HAD ALL D-RANK SKILLS AND THEN HAD TO DIE ANYWAYS!

And most of all FUCK HUEY. When I'm at my highest highs, you undermine me, and when I'm at my lowest lows, you berate me. FUCK you Huey. I'm glad You lost your son

kD4XPFn.gif

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
You can abandon the mission zone (via leaving or container extraction), but quicker would probably be to let the enemy kill you and choose Return to ACC from the load menu.

Actually there's no such option on this mission

Glass

Is it me or (mission 40-something spoiler )
Huey being pissed at Boss for killing the infected soldiers seems really forced, after all the shady stuff he's pulled. He's a scientist, why couldn't he see it was either killing the soldiers or the virus getting out?

Alienous

Is it me or (mission 40-something spoiler )
Huey being pissed at Boss for killing the infected soldiers seems really forced, after all the shady stuff he's pulled. He's a scientist, why couldn't he see it was either killing the soldiers or the virus getting out?

It is dumb. That
was the best decision Big Boss could have made. Killing incurable staff and soldiers who want to die to stop the spread of an infection is heroic.

Huey's just a prick.

So... I need 228k of fuel to upgrade all my MB. This is so cruel :(
If only the processing of the resources could be done when I'm not playing...

yuraya

And most of all FUCK HUEY. When I'm at my highest highs, you undermine me, and when I'm at my lowest lows, you berate me. FUCK you Huey. I'm glad
You lost your son

Best part about mission 43 is
in the lower floor when they all salute you. You shoot one of them and the rest hesitate lowering their hands but slowly afterwards they raise their hands again because they know they are next. Shit was really messed up lol.

Top Bottom