• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain |OT2| A Franchise Robbed Of Its Future

SJRB

Gold Member
Playing songs from the helicopter goes from the greatest feature ever in a video game to incredibly annoying very fast. You think you love a song until you've heard the first 30 seconds and only the first 30 seconds a hundred times during a loading screen.

Looking out a dirty old window

...then disable it?

catspit

Is there a development timer for the very first FOB platform ? I was going to start playing FOB tonight (will unlock it in 1 mission).. But thought maybe I'll have to wait for the deck to be built :(

dealer-

I am at that point at Mission 11, but I am only concentrating on MB right now as I just really enjoy taking outposts/bases. All my units hover around 25 right now, if not higher.

Do your units still improve if you capture a ton of soliders with D/E ratings?

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Do your units still improve if you capture a ton of soliders with D/E ratings?

No, but I have left D/E behind long ago, they all go in the Waiting Room when I capture them.

Taking over bases gives you 300 Heroism points and every soldier I interrogate gives me either 10 or 15 depending on how I do it. So I am now finding a shit ton of C/B and a lot of As and the rare A+ or A++.

dealer-

No, but I have left D/E behind long ago, they all go in the Waiting Room when I capture them.

Taking over bases gives you 300 Heroism points and every soldier I interrogate gives me either 10 or 15 depending on how I do it. So I am now finding a shit ton of C/B and a lot of As and the rare A+ or A++.

Feck, I've totally skipped over taking entire bases and outposts for the most part. Ive just been cherry picking soldiers with decent stats too. Thanks for the info, will just go back to Afghanistan and focus on MB I think. I've just reached a mission where I need to fulton large cargo but don't have a high enough R&D etc to develop it, so I need to anyway.

$10 says there's a DLC in the making. They need to add Extreme and Subsistence difficulty to every mission, and I bet they will.

Playing songs from the helicopter goes from the greatest feature ever in a video game to incredibly annoying very fast. You think you love a song until you've heard the first 30 seconds and only the first 30 seconds a hundred times during a loading screen.

Lack of custom soundtrack on current-gen is a massive fail. I've turned off music for chopper completely.

Pandacon

I had over 700 people, and regularly dismissing guys by mission 20. But I was doing all the side ops, and always fulton'd everyone and everything I could.

muteki

To me there is no downside of fultoning everyone provided your teams aren't at the max headcount yet.

Fulton'd soldiers don't count as kills, they never wake up or alert if you do it properly, and with an early upgrade you have enough per mission to grab everyone in a small-medium sized base without a supply drop.

Just grab everyone, let auto do it's thing and fire the troublemakers. Once your teams are full you can start being selective, but if you are keeping up with base upgrades by then you will probably be encountering more Bs, As, in the field by then anyway.

Branson

I'm at mission 15 with 500+ people at MB. Fultoning is so cheap, why not take everyone remotely good?
I do. That's why I'm so low. At this point e/d soldiers seem plentiful so I only pick up B and up. But damn it sounds like you guys just clear out entire bases regardless. I haven't really struggled with anything I've wanted. I guess I need to do some free roam and get some more people. It makes me feel like I've been playing the game wrong.

brau

czB2xEc.jpg

Poll results so far. Pretty awesome.

Please vote if you haven't. :) please remember you can pick more than one answer.

Okay so in my base on the r&d platform the
Battle Gear Hangar
is lit up and there is a little yellow dot there, but I can't seem to find an entrance at all or figure out how to trigger anything. I did have a scene a little earlier
where huey showed me the progress, but literally nothing happened and he went up to a high platform I couldn't get to so I just left the room.
anyone know what to do?

sappyday

I just finished Chapter 1. In the preview hint
for Chapter 2 there seems to be a lot of important stuff,
but some here have said Chapter 1 is pretty much it for the story.
Is this true

The best way to build your base is to literally fulton everyone. The game's auto-sort will weed out the losers to the waiting room where you can just fire them all. Also I find fultoning everyone is a good way to avoid having people wake up when I'm still resource/weapon hunting. Of course it's also easier for me because I have 48 fultons which is more than enough.

muteki

I do. That's why I'm so low. At this point e/d soldiers seem plentiful so I only pick up B and up. But damn it sounds like you guys just clear out entire bases regardless. I haven't really struggled with anything I've wanted. I guess I need to do some free roam and get some more people. It makes me feel like I've been playing the game wrong.

If you haven't felt held back by your team levels then it is hard to say you have been doing it wrong then.

Heck, going off what I use on a regular basis (tranq, fulton, rare sniper/rocket), I haven't really needed any upgrades outside the cargo fulton. Once it is done, I might back off the recruitment a bit. I don't really use any weapon upgrades anyway.

poncle

So there's this
contagious disease outbreak on my base now, am I supposed to manually check the health condition of all of my 500 soldiers every 5 minutes to move them to quarantine?

Can't do combat deployment while
a quarantine is active
, I guess that a nice, paid, FOB would address this issue right?

pj

Banned

I slowed down when I noticed I had 70 people in the waiting room. Now I only pick up guys with A+ or better which are extremely common in afghanistan but not so much in africa. Not sure why.

My development progress is still limited by money and resources so I don't know how much it's helping me to have so many dudes sitting around.

RoKKeR

Base just keeps filling up.

Question: When you auto assign people, will it account for their rankings and determine the most efficient combination of people, will recruits with bad skills be put into the waiting room for dismissal?

Only through Mission 17. Honestly wouldn't be surprised if I never finish this game. That's alright though... it's fun as hell in bite sized pieces.

Timeaisis

To me there is no downside of fultoning everyone provided your teams aren't at the max headcount yet.

Fulton'd soldiers don't count as kills, they never wake up or alert if you do it properly, and with an early upgrade you have enough per mission to grab everyone in a small-medium sized base without a supply drop.

Just grab everyone, let auto do it's thing and fire the troublemakers. Once your teams are full you can start being selective, but if you are keeping up with base upgrades by then you will probably be encountering more Bs, As, in the field by then anyway.

Even if your base is full, it'll auto dump bad people to make room for good dudes, I believe.

So there's this
contagious disease outbreak on my base now, am I supposed to manually check the health condition of all of my 500 soldiers every 5 minutes to move them to quarantine?

Can't do combat deployment while
a quarantine is active
, I guess that a nice, paid, FOB would address this issue right?

look for a connection between all the sick soldiers. Also just power through to the end of mission 29. Much less effort than trying to manage it all.

The first 30 seconds of Snake Eater never gets old.

spidye

I can't find the afghan lullaby in my idroid anymore. I used it only once. was this a one time thing only???

and somehow my game always shows me the 'extract prisoneer 2' mission as a new side op although the mission box is checked. is this normal?

xxracerxx

I can't find the afghan lullaby in my idroid anymore. I used it only once. was this a one time thing only???

and somehow my game always shows me the 'extract prisoneer 2' mission as a new side op although the mission box is checked. is this normal?

Tapes like that can break.

Yes...they give you the option to earn that money and another person.

muteki

Even if your base is full, it'll auto dump bad people to make room for good dudes, I believe.

Good to know.

Base just keeps filling up.

Question: When you auto assign people, will it account for their rankings and determine the most efficient combination of people, will recruits with bad skills be put into the waiting room for dismissal?

Only through Mission 17. Honestly wouldn't be surprised if I never finish this game. That's alright though... it's fun as hell in bite sized pieces.

Last time I auto'd everyone when I got new platforms I was fairly pleased at how it did it. All the extra E's were prioritized into R&D which is what I would have done anyway.

I don't think Auto weeds out the Troublemakers for you so you would need to account for that, but otherwise I haven't felt the need to fuss with it so much.

Qwell

That is what I do, I had maxed my MB at 700 people before unlocking the required FOB and its nice because the game will auto dismiss the lowest people in your waiting room as you surpass the unit limit.

One question though, a friend of mine told me to fire all troublemakers as well, aren't they worth it if they are high enough rank? I'm not sure what they do exactly, I figure they get thrown in the brig on occasion, and I have a ton of Boasters so I figure it kind of evens them out?

Branson

Guess I'll just stop being picky and Fulton entire bases. Which does seem fun. But I'm just going to say fuck it and stop being so picky. I need to fill out my security team more anyway.

Okay so in my base on the r&d platform the
Battle Gear Hangar
is lit up and there is a little yellow dot there, but I can't seem to find an entrance at all or figure out how to trigger anything. I did have a scene a little earlier
where huey showed me the progress, but literally nothing happened and he went up to a high platform I couldn't get to so I just left the room.
anyone know what to do?

Anyone on this?

Branson

Haha, you make it seem like I pick up the high school dropouts. I only pick up, C or above. Currently, I get a lot of B soldiers so why not get them. Plus side Ops have a great number of rank A's for me.
True. I just wonder if it's worth even getting any more at this point of the game. I'm on mission 30. I feel so behind now haha.

Do you guys do it in free roam, like take over bases/Fulton everyone there? Or are you guys doing it in main missions too? In main missions you're really graded on time so I'm trying to be time efficient so I try not to wander off extracting guards too much unless they are like A's

xxracerxx

True. I just wonder if it's worth even getting any more at this point of the game. I'm on mission 30. I feel so behind now haha.

Do you guys do it in free roam, like take over bases/Fulton everyone there? Or are you guys doing it in main missions too? In main missions you're really graded on time so I'm trying to be time efficient so I try not to wander off extracting guards too much unless they are like A's

Free roam or during a Side Op in that location. Not too mention when you clear a base/outpost you are awarded an emblem part the first time you do it.

Note: You do not need to fulton everyone to clear, they either just have to be knocked out, dead, or fulton'd.

Branson

Free roam or during a Side Op in that location. Not too mention when you clear a base/outpost you are awarded an emblem part the first time you do it.

Note: You do not need to fulton everyone to clear, they either just have to be knocked out, dead, or fulton'd.
Yeah I knew that. I'm not too clear what counts for heroism too. Clearing a base does it right? So does interrogating..extracting prisoners...uh?

Allforce

I'm super confused about all this staff management at Mother Base, can anyone break it down for me? I have a ton of guys in Sick Bay, and in the Brig, but I can assign them out still? I tried to Auto-Assign everyone and they're still in Sick Bay and the Brig.

Also I have no idea why for the last 4-5 missions I still have a blinking "3" next to "Staff Management" on the iDroid as if i'm missing 3 new items I haven't checked. What do I do to get rid of that?

xxracerxx

I'm super confused about all this staff management at Mother Base, can anyone break it down for me? I have a ton of guys in Sick Bay, and in the Brig, but I can assign them out still? I tried to Auto-Assign everyone and they're still in Sick Bay and the Brig.

Also I have no idea why for the last 4-5 missions I still have a blinking "3" next to "Staff Management" on the iDroid as if i'm missing 3 new items I haven't checked. What do I do to get rid of that?

The blinking new staff is just annoying and I wish after you viewed the new staff it went away, but oh well.

And of course you cannot assign people in the Brig or Sick Bay out, they are hurt or imprisoned. You have to wait until they are discharged and usually MB will auto assign them to the best spot.

Also, soldiers with the Troublemaker skill are the reason for Sick Bay patients, as well as soldiers getting hurt when sent out on Missions.

Top Bottom