• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain |OT2| A Franchise Robbed Of Its Future

.J.

Banned
Okay, I'm 22% into the game. I've unlocked Quiet and
D-Walker
, but I can't for the life of me get D-Dog. Is it too late? I've tried following online guides, but so many are inconsistent. Some say you nab him during main missions, some during side missions, but I can't make it happen.

Halp?

Toa TAK

Banned
Mission 23 - Fulton the children! Big Boss love da kids

I really do enjoy how he kinda takes to the kids. It's subtle, but it's nice nonetheless.

Just like Miller does a complete 180 on them, too.

Ocelot: "You're too attached!"

Miller: "Fuck you, dude, you've got a hard-on for torture."

GeeTeeCee

I'm now sure Miller is giving Mother Base recruits rubbish names for shits and giggles.

Recruit: "Hey, Miller, can I have a cool codename like Snake or Ocelot?"

Miller: "Sure thing. You are now... Rancid Dingo."

Dingo: "FUCK."

I did see a soldier called Panzer Dragon though, which was cool.

brau

Alright... poll time guys!

YTS6le9.jpg

Neoweee

do I need to complete all the repeat challenge missions plus new side-ops to get all the Chapter 2 missions?

No, you don't have to do any of the repeats to complete the story. Missions don't unlock immediately, and there are a lot of side-ops that are "required" as well, as well as a somewhat long series of them that is needed for another subplot.

Wait, did I just read the story finishes at episode
? I'm so bummed if so, I feel it will be over quickly :(

And not really... That's when the main plot finishes, but the story continues on from there for a bit longer and deals with the fallout of the main plot.

FtHTiny

It is grindy, especially for the fuel. But you should farm more good soldiers for your base development team (ie: S rank) and bring its level to 60+. Then farm unprocessed resources (mission 12 is the best for fuel) to 100 or 150K.

Some numbers :
Base development level 25-40 : the processing takes 25min
Base development level 41-60 : the processing takes 15min
Base development level 61-84 : the processing takes 12min
Base development level 85-99 : the processing takes 10min

So you can level up to 61, I think it's enough (grinding to 85 is not worth it).
It'll still be a pain but by the time you get every other side objectives done, you'll upgrade all your MB.

These numbers are great but there is still no reason to not let you buy ressources for gmp. Even if it would be overpriced i would take it. Late game you swim in gmp but the refining rate is super slow.
A nuke costs 75000 fuel and takes 24h to build. How anyone gets this is beyond me, that´s also why i have only found 1 fob in all of my time looking online.

Qwell

did you do something else woth your computer?

I used alt + tab to surf some neogaf and the times stayed the same.
Sometimes, I'm usually playing the game still, probably put about 4-5 hours in on work nights and about 8+ hours on weekend days. Sometimes I'll alt+tab to watch a youtube video, but when I'm walking away to eat dinner or sleep the game is on the main focus. If you play the game in borderless windows you can alt+tab out and the game is definitely still running. I can still use my controller and actually play the game while have my mouse run the 2nd monitor to look-up videos and stuff.

Also word of advice, if you do this and walk away for a few hours, remember to disconnect. Got caught once or twice leaving it online and some point through the night it kicks you off the network and when the splash screen pops up to say you are disconnected that will stop the game from progressing until you ok the message.

I'm starting to lose interest in the game, perhaps because I was expecting Snake Eater caliber experience. Never did get into Peace Walker or Ground Zeroes much so I should of expected more of those.

Weekends are the only available times I have to play lately, and I'm barely getting by since I keep doing side ops. Would I be okay if I just stick with the story missions? I was trying to get it to where I can take Quiet on the field but she's still trapped in her cell.

Also, not a big fan of having the majority of missions/ops take place in the same area. I'm at the point where repetitiveness is kicking in and unsure if I want to keep going. I thought Destiny was a grind, but this is leagues beyond that. I'm considering ignoring side ops and just try to finish the story (and Quiet's side missions) and put it down for good.

TitusTroy

No, you don't have to do any of the repeats to complete the story. Missions don't unlock immediately, and there are a lot of side-ops that are "required" as well, as well as a somewhat long series of them that is needed for another subplot.

what is the requirement for the next mission(s) to unlock in Chapter 2?...if you don't have to do any of the remix/repeat missions then what causes the next mission to show up in your I-Droid (is it based on a certain period of time passing?)

I'm starting to lose interest in the game, perhaps because I was expecting Snake Eater caliber experience. Never did get into Peace Walker or Ground Zeroes much so I should of expected more of those.

Weekends are the only available times I have to play lately, and I'm barely getting by since I keep doing side ops. Would I be okay if I just stick with the story missions? I was trying to get it to where I can take Quiet on the field but she's still trapped in her cell.

Also, not a big fan of having the majority of missions/ops take place in the same area. I'm at the point where repetitiveness is kicking in and unsure if I want to keep going. I thought Destiny was a grind, but this is leagues beyond that. I'm considering ignoring side ops and just try to finish the story (and Quiet's side missions) and put it down for good.

Quiet won't join you on the field until you do a certain number of main missions. Side-Ops don't typically move things forward. Do Side-Ops if you feel like they'll benefit you, but don't go crazy trying to 100% the game at this point.

The game is only repetitive or grind if you're playing every mission the same way. Listen to the mission tape and try to tweak your loadout based on what you expect the mission to call for. There are a ton of different ways to handle every situation and that's what makes the game so good.

dealer-

You can make side ops really quick by just going in all guns blazing, completing the task and then using the pause menu to return to the ACC immediately. I don't think any of them are that time consuming and you can free roam and go from one to the next.

Dreez

Finally moved on from Afghanistan.
Africa is so much more pleasing to look at, also the outposts aren't as sparse so there's always someone to shoot :)

Finally moved on from Afghanistan.
Africa is so much more pleasing to look at, also the outposts aren't as sparse so there's always someone to shoot :)

Traversal is so much easier too. I can just hop in my jeep and drive straight across the map usually.

Neoweee

what is the requirement for the next mission(s) to unlock in Chapter 2?...if you don't have to do any of the remix/repeat missions then what causes the next mission to show up in your I-Droid (is it based on a certain period of time passing?)

Completing any content you want will eventually unlock missions. You can really focus on any Side Ops or hard modes that you want.

Pinktaco

Uh right so now I'm just doing side ops. I've already done many before chapter 1 and now I'm somewhat far into chapter 2. Nothing is happening and it's getting rather dumb.

The pacing is this game is so out of place -.-

Looking at the list it would appear the missions I'm waiting for are 45 and 46.

av2k

I'm terrified of looking in this thread because I don't want to accidentally read spoilers but can someone PM me like a spoiler free video of cool MGS 5 strategies with different tools? I keep doing the same thing over and over (sneak, shoot, sneak, melee, etc) and it's getting kinda boring. I want to learn how to deploy a lot of the items and things of that nature without looking through this thread. >.<

Question about mission
40+

I had the second epidemic and I've done all yellow side ops. From what I understand Quiet should be leaving but that hasn't happened. I even completed a couple of repeat missions figuring it would trigger, but nothing. What do I need to do?

Afrodium

Banned
Playing songs from the helicopter goes from the greatest feature ever in a video game to incredibly annoying very fast. You think you love a song until you've heard the first 30 seconds and only the first 30 seconds a hundred times during a loading screen.

Looking out a dirty old window

Dimmle

Playing songs from the helicopter goes from the greatest feature ever in a video game to incredibly annoying very fast. You think you love a song until you've heard the first 30 seconds and only the first 30 seconds a hundred times during a loading screen.

Looking out a dirty old window
You're not choosing the right song then.

wiibomb

You can make side ops really quick by just going in all guns blazing, completing the task and then using the pause menu to return to the ACC immediately. I don't think any of them are that time consuming and you can free roam and go from one to the next.

since I'm used to not killing anyone in a MGS game, I last for hours to finish a side op just because I don't kill anyone..

guess I'll have to start making use of all these equipment

So in Chapter 2 side mission(prisoner related) .
The kid prisoner stuck on top of that tower. Do I have to use the fulton or is there some other way to do it? I don't have enough resources for the fulton

dealer-

I've been reading people having like 500 at mission 25 and just like..what lol.

Ha yeah, I think we need to lower our standards.

since I'm used to not killing anyone in a MGS game, I last for hours to finish a side op just because I don't kill anyone..

guess I'll have to start making use of all these equipment

I was the same to begin with but there are just so many. I'm full stealth for the main missions and then let off steam by taking everything down in the side ops, plus there are no rankings either.

Question about mission
40+

I had the second epidemic and I've done all yellow side ops. From what I understand Quiet should be leaving but that hasn't happened. I even completed a couple of repeat missions figuring it would trigger, but nothing. What do I need to do?

If you want her to leave, make sure you don't have the Butterfly emblem equipped and also you must have her bond maxed out, assuiming this is done then doing a few missions should unlock it.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
I only have about 330 people at about mission 30. That seems..low compared to what I've seen other people post.

I am at that point at Mission 11, but I am only concentrating on MB right now as I just really enjoy taking outposts/bases. All my units hover around 25 right now, if not higher.

So in Chapter 2 side mission(prisoner related) .
The kid prisoner stuck on top of that tower. Do I have to use the fulton or is there some other way to do it? I don't have enough resources for the fulton

Answer:
Yes, fulton only. You have to climb to get down, and obviously that's impossible while carrying someone.

brau

Can someone explain demon points to me? All I know is it involves the horn and killing people.

As explained by the guide.

What you might not know is that a hidden "demon" value acts as a running tally of your most callous and unconscionable acts. Though your current total is never directly revealed as a figure, the effects of passing certain Demon point milestones will cause BB to undergo disturbing physical transformations.

The length of the horn like shrapnel protruding from BB forehead is determined by the hidden Demon value. There are three possible sizes, each corresponding to a specific Demon point milestone.

Threshhold Short Horn Medium Horn Long Horn
Default <25,000 25,000-50,000 >50,000
1st Change <40,000 40,000-80,000 >80,000
2nd Change <55,000 55,000-110,000 >110,000
3rd Change <70,000 70,000-140,000 >140,000
4th and Beyond <85,000 85,000-170,000 >170,000

There are certain actions in the game that lead to Hero points, but some lead to Demon values. The chart is kinda long. So i'll just give one example.

Unlock the "Conservation" Trophy/Achievement Hero Value = +10,000 Demon Value= -10,000

Groof

So right now I have a yellow main mission and several yellow side ops where I have to
extract the kids
. Does it matter what order I do them in?

Top Bottom