• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain |OT2| A Franchise Robbed Of Its Future

Rocketz

Can some explain the
butterfly
emblem to me and how it works. Basically how do I make sure I get
all the missions. I heard you might be locked out of some of you don't do something

I'm getting tired of this game, and it's mostly my fault: every time i end up spending that 1-2 hours i get to play repeating the same mission over and over again because i keep getting spotted and not only its frustrating, it becomes boring pretty fast. It feels like i'm just wasting my time. Plus, i have a really hard time focusing when i play it.

And hearing that
end-game consist on repeating the same missions in harder difficulties it sounds all but exciting...
Why not just go along with what happens? Getting spotted is just when another type of fun starts.

Drencrom

Okay, I need to vent.

Playing mission 42 now
and it just cements how utterly fucking horrible the skulls forces boss fight encounters are... they are literally fucking garbage. Cheap one hit kills, bullet sponges with shields that recharge, jumping/teleporting around nonsensically in big open areas while shooting you at all times, hard to avoid stone projectiles that nearly instantly kills you, CQC parries that barely works etc. It wasn't fun fighting them them in the non-extreme missions, but this is just bullshit. Lazy and awful game design.

Fucking hell, why did they feel the need to put this shit in the game? Didn't they have the time or money to make actual
boss fights
?

Okay, I need to vent.

Playing mission 42 now
and it just cements how utterly fucking horrible the skulls forces boss fight encounters are... they are literally fucking garbage. Cheap one hit kills, bullet sponges with shields that recharge, jumping/teleporting around nonsensically in big open areas while shooting you at all times, hard to avoid stone projectiles that nearly instantly kills you, CQC parries that barely works etc. It wasn't fun fighting them them in the non-extreme missions, but this is just bullshit. Lazy and awful game design.

Fucking hell, why did they feel the need to put this shit in the game? Didn't they have the time or money to make actual
boss fights
?

Probably not. They didn't even have the time or money to make
most of the game.

Drencrom

You know what, I'm not even gonna bother with all these
rehash missions
they give you in
chapter 2
at this time,
I just want to play the damn story but instead they just keep giving you these sadistic versions of older missions. Awful.

Edzi

rehash missions
they give you in
chapter 2
at this time,
I just want to play the damn story but instead they just keep giving you these sadistic versions of older missions. Awful.

Just do Side-Ops until the story stuff unlocks. Still not great, but better than those garbage rehashed missions. Every 2-3 side ops should trigger something.

Keep your expectations low for the payoff though.

Ame

Omg this game... Worst MGS

rehash missions
they give you in
chapter 2
at this time,

I'm enjoying MGSV, but this is one of the very few things I hated the most. Putting a road block in front the player in terms of the story progression is dumb.

eso76

Ok you are supposed to(middle game mother base spoilers)
put everyone who speaks kikongo on quarantine right?But some of them have a flag and i cant move them to quarantine.Is it inevitable to have disease spread?

I thought that's what I had to do (didn't listen to relevant tapes on the subject yet) but the thing being an absolute chore had me thinking it had to be something else; something you could manage more easily / quickly.
Eww..

Squishy3

Ok you are supposed to(middle game mother base spoilers)
put everyone who speaks kikongo on quarantine right?But some of them have a flag and i cant move them to quarantine.Is it inevitable to have disease spread?
The ones with a flag are out on combat deployment and you just need to quarantine them when their deployments finish.

isnt mission 46 just a repeat of the start of the game? Also is there any way to get quiet back as a buddy to help me with side ops or is the only other option a new game?
The part you play is the same, bookending cutscenes are different though. And yup, unless you're on PC. In which case you can mod her back in

Ok so I'm at the point where I have to built a FOB.

I've learned a couple of things but it's hard to wade through all the misinformation, is this correct so far?

- Resources are split between motherbase (offline) and FOB (online, with the little globe icon). ONLY the FOB resources can be stolen. So in this regard there is no disadvantage at all from having a FOB, as the only resources that can be stolen are the ones produced by the FOB in the first place. You would not even have them w/o FOB. I'm setting camp in the region that gives me more fuel.
When you're online, the FOB resources will be eventually refined to the actual resources you can spend (and I think those are untouchable by other players).

- The guards in your security team can be fultoned (unless they are under direct contact? not sure) so do not put your best fighters in here. But also not just E soldiers (though with increasing heroism you anyway only get better and better guys in the missions) and definitely put as many as you can to increase the chance of catching the intruder.

---> I still read conflicting stuff about what happens if a player reaches the core. Apparently this allows them to steal staff from your non-security units like R&D. Though you can secure the top percentage by putting those under direct contract.
However, to me this still doesn't make sense considering I don't understand how it would sync this as you could do whatever you want with the staff while you're offline (get rid of them, put them under direct contract, send them on a mission etc.).

At the same time this would be the crucial thing I would like to know, like, could I lose skills that I still need for R&D etc.? On the other hand, FOB allows you to get so many more staff in total that it balances any stolen guys out (you would need a lot of S/A+++ guys in your non-FOB limited platforms to get to the same unit ranks than by just having a ton more standard guys that you can find and extract easily constantly).

- Having a strong FOB base (with many decks) with lots of ok guards with good equipment and security measures will make it very hard for someone to actually reach the core. So the event of actually losing something worthwhile reduces while you get a bonus from each successful defend. Furthermore, you or friends can fight them off and the attacker only has one chance.

- If your FOB loses, your FOB gets locked by the servers for a set time so you can't get constantly raided. Also, not going on infiltration missions will reduce the chance of getting invaded by other players (seeking revenge etc.).

Aurongel

I'm disapointed about the repeat missions in chapter 2 but the fact that many of them were repeats of the weakest missions in the game is inexcusable.

Skull airport firefight applies here X100

I'm disapointed about the repeat missions in chapter 2 but the fact that many of them were repeats of the weakest missions in the game is inexcusable.

Skull airport firefight applies here X100

For Traitor's Caravan (both extreme and non-extreme).
Give Quiet the fitty cal. Use decoys to lure Skulls out into the open and into her sight lines. Granted you reach the truck in stealth and before it departs the airport. If you approach the truck from inside the fenced off area that houses the power box, you'll trigger the skulls spawning without them seeing you.

Lucentto

Banned
Just finished the game. Honestly I am utterly disappointed, I expected better. I just don't like the way this game was made in some areas. Though it was still worth a play through at least.

katagai

---> I still read conflicting stuff about what happens if a player reaches the core. Apparently this allows them to steal staff from your non-security units like R&D. Though you can secure the top percentage by putting those under direct contract.
However, to me this still doesn't make sense considering I don't understand how it would sync this as you could do whatever you want with the staff while you're offline (get rid of them, put them under direct contract, send them on a mission etc.).

Soldiers captured seem to stay in an "online" brig, until a set amount of time passes I assume. I haven't been able to to use them and haven't been retaliated against, so not sure if I need to wait out the 30 day window or what.

Also should add that I left all my FOB platforms at 1/4 and they did not have any resources on them. It wasn't until I upgraded my combat platform to 2/4 that it begun holding resources.

Darksol

I guess people are super lazy with their Mother Base. I just got the
Architect
trophy
(Construct all available platforms for Mother Base)
and it's "ultra rare" at 0.3% attained? Hmm.

leng jai

Architect
trophy

I wouldn't be surprised if most people spent as little time as possible with all the Mother Base stuff.

Spazznid

Architect
trophy

It's much easier and more immediately rewarding to simultaneously build FOB facilities, instead.

Ame

Question about Mission 4
5 ending

I still don't get why Quiet can't talk.

Because she spoke english, is the boss infected now?

She had the English strain of the parasite virus. As soon as she started talking in English it triggered the virus and she had to leave or she'd infect everyone around her.

Darksol

I wouldn't be surprised if most people spent as little time as possible with all the Mother Base stuff.

That's a shame. I love it ^_^

It's much easier and more immediately rewarding to simultaneously build FOB facilities, instead.

Ironically, I haven't even reached the mission where FOB unlocks (at least, I assume it's a mission, because I can't access it at the moment). I've just been going crazy on hunting down animals, vehicles, and soliders :p

She had the English strain of the parasite virus. As soon as she started talking in English it triggered the virus and she had to leave or she'd infect everyone around her.

Is she immune though because of her, well, being a parasite, essentially.

fritzo

Architect
trophy

Don't think so. It just takes awhile to accumulate all those resources to build all the platforms. I've got over 100 hours in and I only have 3 platforms fully built. Plus I spent resources on developing a
Nuke

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
This shit has more fake endings than Return of the King, man. Finished mission 45 and I know there's more past this.

Darksol

Don't think so. It just takes awhile to accumulate all those resources to build all the platforms. I've got over 100 hours in and I only have 3 platforms fully built. Plus I spent resources on developing a
Nuke

Ah I see. Yeah, I have my Vita here at work so I often just sit at Mother Base collecting resources with the occasional dive into the menu to do some upgrades, expansions, etc.

Guess I better move the story along so I can start FOBing like everyone else, haha.

NIN90

Is there a particularly efficient way to raise buddy bond level? I wanna max Quiet but I dunno she just fucking sucks compared to DD.

Blader

Is mission 16 possible without the cargo fulton? Miller says
the goal is to extract the truck, but I don't have it and am several R&D levels away from unlocking it. I'd rather not grind to get that just to complete this mission, but is that the only way? Are you allowed to just drive it out of the mission area or does it have to be extracted?

Nameless

Midnight will mark two weeks since I played anything else . Dozens(and dozens) of hours in seeing I'm still seeing & doing cool shit and finding new ways to approach things. Remarkable game.

Aurongel

Is mission 16 possible without the cargo fulton? Miller says
the goal is to extract the truck, but I don't have it and am several R&D levels away from unlocking it. I'd rather not grind to get that just to complete this mission, but is that the only way? Are you allowed to just drive it out of the mission area or does it have to be extracted?
You can just drive away with it I believe.

Ame

Is she immune though because of her, well, being a parasite, essentially.

She's not immune. She always had the parasites inside her. They were just dormant until she spoke English. Speaking any English triggered the parasites to start reproducing and become infectious.

DigiMish

So the soldiers you Fulton eventually level up on their own where they're assigned, right?

So in theory, can an E dude eventually become S+?

Apathy

I got the
Quiet interrogation scene.
Felt out of place because I went back to mother base and it just happened. There was no build up to it.

Top Bottom