• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain |OT2| A Franchise Robbed Of Its Future

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I thought so but I just loaded it up and the message didn't have an update saying that so I wasn't sure. Played for a bit while the update downloaded and then when I connected to the server after re-opening, it didn't have new patch notes.

Yeah, I have a feeling the in-game patch notes are being grabbed from Konami's server independent from the actual version of the game, so it may not be updated. Shit, they still haven't fixed those dopey tag mistakes in the PS Plus part of the patch notes.

But yeah, I guess better to be safe than sorry.

Quiet with the tranq is amazing. I absolutely love it.

Wait until you unlock "Cover Me" for Quiet. You won't even need to pull your gun out.

Shauni

Is mission
considered the last mission? Is that the
true end
? haven't started it yet, but I am intrigued.

I generally look at Mission 45 as the actual conclusion of the overall narrative of the game. Mission 46 is story content, yes, but the way it's presented is less like an ending and more like an addendum of the events of the game.

I don't know what the "official" stance is on the whole thing, but that's how I look at it, especially with the way Mission 46 is presented to you. You'll see for yourself.

It's disappointing to hear that the story isn't that good especially listening to the soundtrack which is stunning. It feels like the perfect soundtrack for the fall of a hero. Sins of the Father, wow. This might take #1 game soundtrack ever over The Witcher III for me.

To be honest, I'm not getting what the big issue is with the story. It's not the best, and a lot of it is contained within the tapes (which I get the feeling a lot of people aren't really listening to), but it's still a pretty decent narrative overall outside some disappointing aspect here and there. I don't even think Chapter 2 is that bad outside one glaring omission. I think it has a better story than 4 did, to be honest.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I don't know what the "official" stance is on the whole thing, but that's how I look at it, especially with the way Mission 46 is presented to you. You'll see for yourself.

To be honest, I'm not getting what the big issue is with the story. It's not the best, and a lot of it is contained within the tapes (which I get the feeling a lot of people aren't really listening to), but it's still a pretty decent narrative overall outside some disappointing aspect here and there. I don't even think Chapter 2 is that bad outside one glaring omission. I think it has a better story than 4 did, to be honest.

I'm only on Chapter 27 or so, but right now, the game barely has a story. That's my big issue so far. It takes forever to get going (so long, in fact, that some diehard MGS fans in this thread have asked if it's worth just dropping the game), and the pacing is fucking glacial.

The end of mission 18 was bullshit
The kids weren't a problem, I got through everything undetected, but as soon as I made it to the RV my helicopter would just sit there getting shot by the enemy chopper. In the end I had to take a missile launcher and blow the bastard up just so I could load the kids on. Ugh so glad that's over

Well, I'm assuming she dies. Once she speaks English, on top of being contagious, she would become symptomatic like the Diamond Dogs soldiers on the quarantine strut. I remember someone mentioning it's certain death once you become symptomatic. Though the main reason for her leaving is she's contagious now.

Agreed, but symptoms are a process and byproduct of the hosts lungs eventually being consumed by the virus, thereby resulting in death.

Maybe that does kill her, too; I really don't know. But, it seems unclear to me, I guess.

malfcn

I'm sure it comes handy later.. But stun hand is lame?

And what's the difference between a supply drop and supply flare?

And is the sonar arm always emitting a sound or do I input something?

Shauni

I'm only on Chapter 27 or so, but right now, the game barely has a story. That's my big issue so far. It takes forever to get going (so long, in fact, that some diehard MGS fans in this thread have asked if it's worth just dropping the game), and the pacing is fucking glacial.

I don't know, I just don't really agree I guess. Most of the story is contained in the tapes, but it's there, and I enjoyed it for the most part. *shrug*

Grisby

Ok, thanks. To get mission
though, I have
to take off the butterfly emblem
right? So really, there's no way for you to
keep quiet as a buddy is there?

Shauni

Ok, thanks. To get mission
though, I have
to take off the butterfly emblem
right? So really, there's no way for you to
keep quiet as a buddy is there?

Correct,
once you do mission 45, Quiet is gone into that cold and dark night

Mission 42
is bullshit. I seem to be severely underequipped to just kill the Skulls with firepower. D-Walker's gatling gun doesn't have enough ammo to do the job, and all my other weapons don't seem to affect the Skulls at all. The fact that their skin regenerates makes it just more ludicrous. I used one tank and two D-Walker drops, and still had three Skulls left, before one of them finally one-shotted me. Is there a trick, or do I really need top equipment?

If you have Quiet. Just get her her best gun. Pick cover me, and hide, or whatever you need to do to survive. She'll take them all out. You'll also likely get an S rank.

That's what I've read.

I guess I'm frustrated it takes so long of having to guide her shots before she become autonomous.

She actually becomes OP
once you get her a tranq rifle (even the loud one), or if you don't care about getting non-lethal takedowns. If you get alerted by guards she'll start to fire at them indiscriminately and the guards will focus on her and she never seems to die.

I literally captured a small outpost by getting alerted by the guards and not salvaging the situation fast enough.

I'm sure it comes handy later.. But stun hand is lame?

The stun is actually a pretty big conal and can arc a little bit to nearby enemies. It good for a group of guys standing around together. I still think the rocket arm is way better. The stun isn't that long, but you can take out an entire camp with it.

Has anyone seen a good guide on catching all the animals I'm kind of struggling to find everything. I know some only spawn during certain missions, but stuff like the emperor scorpion seem impossible to find.

Furyous

That's what I've read.

I guess I'm frustrated it takes so long of having to guide her shots before she become autonomous.

Increase your bond with her until the cover me option becomes available. I S ranked Over the fence by letting her target everyone and stay back. I fired three shots during the whole run and fultoned everyone she took down.

Apathy

The stun is actually a pretty big conal and can arc a little bit to nearby enemies. It good for a group of guys standing around together. I still think the rocket arm is way better. The stun isn't that long, but you can take out an entire camp with it.

Has anyone seen a good guide on catching all the animals I'm kind of struggling to find everything. I know some only spawn during certain missions, but stuff like the emperor scorpion seem impossible to find.

There are youtube videos for locations of every animal

Revengineer

Unconfirmed Member

And is the sonar arm always emitting a sound or do I input something?

1. Supply flare triggers a supply drop as near as possible to the flare location. Supply drop drops the drop where you designate on the map.

2. No, you must use it like the Knock ability. L1->Down on Right Stick. Alerts nearby enemies (must be around 20-25m in radial proximity) but ends up going like 150m diameter. Shows "things" in distance with a general circular icon (doesn't differentiate between humans, animals, or other). It's pretty useful for FOB invasions.

Is mission 16 possible without the cargo fulton? Miller says
the goal is to extract the truck, but I don't have it and am several R&D levels away from unlocking it. I'd rather not grind to get that just to complete this mission, but is that the only way? Are you allowed to just drive it out of the mission area or does it have to be extracted?

You can easily kill them with a rocket launcher, just run around and don't destroy the truck :p (having Quiet helps)

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
If you have Quiet. Just get her her best gun. Pick cover me, and hide, or whatever you need to do to survive. She'll take them all out. You'll also likely get an S rank.

Thats a really really easy mission when you know the trick.

That doesn't work for me. My strongest rocket launcher barely takes 10% of their health/shield bar, and Quiet does even less damage. Occasionally, they also jump onto the roof, or a double-combo of the teleporting stone time bombs kills me.

Guess you really need top tier weapons.

Blader

You can just drive away with it I believe.

I know it's possible because I just watched a guy on youtube do it, but I've attempted it at least a dozen times now and each time
the Skulls either destroy the truck before I can get to the out of mission area line OR I cross the line but the game keeps going (although Miller will start warning me how I'm close to leaving the mission area -- even though I'm already outside it by this point) and then the Skulls will destroy the truck.
What the fuck. Spent close to 2 hours on this mission tonight and have nothing to show for it. :\

You can easily kill them with a rocket launcher, just run around and don't destroy the truck :p (having Quiet helps)

I've tried
using Quiet on this mission, and she's terrible. Instead of actually shooting the Skulls she just keeps running around for some reason and never stays still, much less fires.

Vamphuntr

How do you tell Quiet where to go? She isn't doing much for me. I try placing Markers and calling her but she sits at the same place until I get attacked :/.

Permanently A

How do you tell Quiet where to go? She isn't doing much for me. I try placing Markers and calling her but she sits at the same place until I get attacked :/.

On the map screen press up and down to cycle between options. Using this you can tell Quiet to scout out a base, or telling her what sniper perch to sit on. And as you level her bond you will unlock better commands to use from the interrogation menu. Also I'm not sure if this is true but someone told me to use the "Quiet" command from the speech menu to level the bond faster.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.

In the map view you can use up and down on the d-pad to switch between marker types. There is a "Quiet (Scout)" and a "Quiet (Attack)" marker to give her commands. You can only place these markers on designated scout and attack spots on the map. Selecting the marker will show you where you can place it.

Revengineer

Unconfirmed Member
problems with an enemy group

Research the GROM (or whatever the acronym is) rocket launcher.

Or, if it's the other mission... the earliest one where you see these dicks
Use the damn Bee rocket launcher you get earlier in the mission. Lock on, shoot, MOVE MOVE RELOAD repeat until you win.

Vamphuntr

On the map screen press up and down to cycle between options. Using this you can tell Quiet to scout out a base, or telling her what sniper perch to sit on. And as you level her bond you will unlock better commands to use from the interrogation menu. Also I'm not sure if this is true but someone told me to use the "Quiet" command from the speech menu to level the bond faster.

In the map view you can use up and down on the d-pad to switch between marker types. There is a "Quiet (Scout)" and a "Quiet (Attack)" marker to give her commands. You can only place these markers on designated scout and attack spots on the map. Selecting the marker will show you where you can place it.

That's more like it. Thanks a bunch will try this.

You can do Mission 16
without killing the Skulls. It's not even necessary for an S Rank unless you spent enough time on the level that you need the extra points. Basically you can kite around the truck until they are in a favorable enough position to where you can fulton the truck.

If you don't have Cargo 2, I've heard of players getting into a tank and using that to kill the skulls, which would be a way to be able to drive off with the vehicle without needing to bring a rocket launcher or Quiet to kill them. Aggro'ing the Skulls doesn't count as a combat alert so it should work.

Geg

Just did Mission 45. That was tough but not nearly as brutal as I was expecting given the posts I've seen about it lol

Vamphuntr

You can do Mission 16
without killing the Skulls. It's not even necessary for an S Rank unless you spent enough time on the level that you need the extra points. Basically you can kite around the truck until they are in a favorable enough position to where you can fulton the truck.

If you don't have Cargo 2, I've heard of players getting into a tank and using that to kill the skulls, which would be a way to be able to drive off with the vehicle without needing to bring a rocket launcher or Quiet to kill them. Aggro'ing the Skulls doesn't count as a combat alert so it should work.

I did something similar and got S rank on my first try with me not even being seen by them. Just throw Active Decoys with sound to attract them and fulton the truck.

daveo42

Banned
Just cleared mission 3
6-37
with some pretty easy S-Ranks. The second of those was surprisingly easy once you knew how it worked.

Voidance

Increase your bond with her until the cover me option becomes available. I S ranked Over the fence by letting her target everyone and stay back. I fired three shots during the whole run and fultoned everyone she took down.
Any suggestions on a way to grind that earlier in the game? Is there a particular story mission that is efficient for building buddy bonds?

You can do Mission 16

I laid out some C4 at a perfect enough distance to blow up the tank in front and back. When the baddies came out from truck, I sprinted straight at the truck, fultoned that shit, and hauled ass away the opposite direction. Dove to my stomach in tall grass, called in copter, bailed, then sipped whiskey back at base with my main cat and Limpy.

Ame

Agreed, but symptoms are a process and byproduct of the hosts lungs eventually being consumed by the virus, thereby resulting in death.

Maybe that does kill her, too; I really don't know. But, it seems unclear to me, I guess.

Yeah, I wasn't 100% sure if
she was gonna die due to the whole lung thing, but I assumed considering how the virus is described as deadly once it's triggered.

I also I found this on the MGS wiki.

"Once activated the parasite eventually left the host in a vegetative state as the cognitive functions of the brain were destroyed."

So, either way she's pretty much fucked.

Geg

Err... now I feel like an idiot

Mission 45:
How do I find Quiet at the end? I assumed you were supposed to give up and leave on the helicopter but it looks like I have to find her

ramyeon

Okay so... Late game spoilers again.

All the stuff with Paz being alive still was just a figment of Big Boss' imagination/a hallucination?

Top Bottom