• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain |OT2| A Franchise Robbed Of Its Future

fourstorks

Neo Member
I got the
Quiet interrogation scene.
Felt out of place because I went back to mother base and it just happened. There was no build up to it.

Yeah...this is the scene that had me the most confused. It really felt out of place, especially because I had been using her almost constantly. Seems like something that should've happened much earlier in her storyline.

This game just seems so perfectly made for DLC. I would gladly pay like 20 dollars for an entire
chapter
and have it be like a tv show. It doesn't even have to be Kojima writing the entire thing just have him take the role of the showrunner. But sigh...Konami gon Konami.

When are the two cutscenes for
Quiet interrogation
and
Quiet dancing in the rain
suppose to happen? I'm on Misson 32ish and I haven't gotten those two yet.

Apathy

Question regarding the combat deployment "Rescue the Peacekeepers". This is the first one with the
Battle Gear
. I was wondering if I fail the mission
can the Battle Gear be destroyed
? If so
how would I get another
?

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I guess people are super lazy with their Mother Base. I just got the
Architect
trophy
(Construct all available platforms for Mother Base)
and it's "ultra rare" at 0.3% attained? Hmm.

Or maybe they didn't want to grind the FUCKING FUEL for the last platforms.

ramyeon

Any recommendations for weapons against heavy armor guys? So many of them in Chapter 2 missions. My old tranq pistol/sniper combination just doesn't cut it anymore.

Apathy

When are the two cutscenes for
Quiet interrogation
and
Quiet dancing in the rain
suppose to happen? I'm on Misson 32ish and I haven't gotten those two yet.

The
Rain
scene happened before I did 32 and the
Interrogation
happened after I did 32. I think it has more to do with
side ops
, because the
interrogation
scene happened after the first
eliminate the wandering puppets side op

Any recommendations for weapons against heavy armor guys? So many of them in Chapter 2 missions. My old tranq pistol/sniper combination just doesn't cut it anymore.

When I have to do the side ops to eliminate heavy armor units, I just rocket launcher them with Quiet distracting them

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
Man, chapter 2 of the game with all the repeated missions is just lazy. And the fact that you're even getting all the story cutscenes twice just adds to the ridiculousness.

They should have left these missions out and just allowed players to replay any old mission with modifiers.

She had the English strain of the parasite virus. As soon as she started talking in English it triggered the virus and she had to leave or she'd infect everyone around her.

But doesn't the virus kill by consuming the lungs of its host?

She has no lungs, right? I specifically recall them saying her organs no longer function. Unless it's assumed that Quiet kills herself alone in the desert to stop her from being contagious to others eventually.

Corpsepyre

Banned
Finished chapter 1.

Incredible all over. Yes, some parts felt padded, but then again, it's open world, but the payoff was SWEET! Last two episodes were utterly amazing. Kojima knows his writing, even if it's over the top as it always has been.

Felt like a proper end, Chapter 1. Lets see what Chapter 2 offers.

here is my pattern for the key dispatch missions

first S rank mission: beat it first try

Second: two tries

Third: three tries

Fourth: Just started third attempt, I wonder if I will make it to 4.

This is unbelievably stupid.

Shauni

This shit has more fake endings than Return of the King, man. Finished mission 45 and I know there's more past this.

I generally look at Mission 45 as the actual conclusion of the overall narrative of the game. Mission 46 is story content, yes, but the way it's presented is less like an ending and more like an addendum of the events of the game.

Davide

It's disappointing to hear that the story isn't that good especially listening to the soundtrack which is stunning. It feels like the perfect soundtrack for the fall of a hero. Sins of the Father, wow. This might take #1 game soundtrack ever over The Witcher III for me.

Ame

But doesn't the virus kill by consuming the lungs of its host?

She has no lungs, right? I specifically recall them saying her organs no longer function. Unless it's assumed that Quiet kills herself alone in the desert to stop her from being contagious to others eventually.

Yeah, she had no lungs. Miller mentioned they were burnt to a crisp along with some of her other organs back in the hospital sequence of the game. The parasites were introduced inside her body to supplement her non-functioning organs. This is also why she uses photosynthesis and drinks/breaths through her skin.

Yeah, she had no lungs. Miller mentioned they were burnt to a crisp along with some of her other organs back in the hospital sequence of the game. The parasites were introduced inside her body to supplement her non-functioning organs. This is also why she uses photosynthesis and drinks/breaths through her skin.

So how would the infection kill her?

Corpsepyre

Banned
It's disappointing to hear that the story isn't that good especially listening to the soundtrack which is stunning. It feels like the perfect soundtrack for the fall of a hero. Sins of the Father, wow. This might take #1 game soundtrack ever over The Witcher III for me.

Play it for yourself. I'm loving it. It's disjointed because of the whole open world structure, but it still has the usual Kojima-isms, though spread apart. And the voice-acting is pretty good too, esp that of Miller.

Darksol

Or maybe they didn't want to grind the FUCKING FUEL for the last platforms.

Fuel definitely was the holdup for me too. Thankfully some of the combat deployments had decent fuel rewards. Biological matter on the other hand...I was pushing 150k+ in that while everything else was like 1/4 of that, lol.

I also hope they up the GMP limit because I have so many unclaimed rewards that I'm sitting on after maxing out most of my development and research upgrades.

That's it. When I get home I'll do more missions until I unlock my FOB and can start blowing my money on that.

Ame

So how would the infection kill her?

Like I mentioned before. They gave her the English strain of the parasites. So, while they're basically keeping her alive, it's the reason she can't speak English. When she spoke English in order to communicate with Pequod to save Snake, she triggered the parasites to become infectious and kill her and anyone around her.

Chapter 1 is awesome, chapter 2 feels like padding. All the good stuff in chapter 2 should have been in chapter 1 that would have been way better.

Chapter 1 is awesome, chapter 2 feels like padding. All the good stuff in chapter 2 should have been in chapter 1 that would have been way better.

Honestly Chapter 2 should've been called an epilogue, or it should've been Chapter 3 and Chapter 1 should've had a Chapter for Afghanistan and a Chapter for Africa.

It's best to think of Chapter 1 as everything in Return of The King up to the point where the destroy the ring, and Chapter 2 is everything after that.

Like I mentioned before. They gave her the English strain of the parasites. So, while they're basically keeping her alive, it's the reason she can't speak English. When she spoke English in order to communicate with Pequod to save Snake, she triggered the parasites to become infectious and kill her and anyone around her.

I guess I am reading too much into this. The parasite kills its host by consuming their lungs, thereby rendering its host the inability to breathe.

Quiet breathes through her skin, not her lungs.

So, even assuming the parasite consumes her lungs, what kills her?

Grisby

Is mission
considered the last mission? Is that the
true end
? haven't started it yet, but I am intrigued.

ramyeon

Cloaked in Silence on extreme sucks. One hit kills and you can't even easily cheese it with the supply drop trick (She leaps out of the way like 80% of the time) :/

ElTorro

Cloaked in Silence on extreme sucks. One hit kills and you can't even easily cheese it with the supply drop trick (She leaps out of the way like 80% of the time) :/

I used several air bombardments and 1-2 sniper shots. Went well. The use of bombardments restricted the grade to A though.

Meier

I maxed out Quiet's bond and am just getting to mission 28 (ugh, more Skulls..just what the game needed). The info note at the beginning makes it seem like as long as I don't max her out on 29, I'll be okay? So since she's maxed out, I have nothing to worry about?

I want to upgrade Mother Base, which takes like two hours for a single platform. So I upgrade and want to do another one but don't have enough fuel. Ahhhh but I do, it just isn't processed yet. But processing takes forever and a day. To speed up this process, I need to upgrade Mother Base. But I can't upgrade Mother Base without more fuel. Which takes forever to be processed because...

Fuck, I hate Mother Base. Mobile game timer bullshit.

Angry Guy

So where can I find Heavens Divide and this "A Phantom Pain" tape I keep hearing about? Do you start with Heavens Divide? I'm not on right now or else I would just check...

ElTorro

Mission 42
is bullshit. I seem to be severely underequipped to just kill the Skulls with firepower. D-Walker's gatling gun doesn't have enough ammo to do the job, and all my other weapons don't seem to affect the Skulls at all. The fact that their skin regenerates makes it just more ludicrous. I used one tank and two D-Walker drops, and still had three Skulls left, before one of them finally one-shotted me. Is there a trick, or do I really need top equipment?

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Is there a particularly efficient way to raise buddy bond level? I wanna max Quiet but I dunno she just fucking sucks compared to DD.

I thought that at first, but she's worth leveling. Just set her to Scout instead of Attack and she'll mark whole outposts for you. Once you get her bond to 20 you can get the tranq rifle (which doesnt take long).

Then she's totally OP. I love DD, but Quiet is totally fucking OP.

I maxed out Quiet's bond and am just getting to mission 28 (ugh, more Skulls..just what the game needed). The info note at the beginning makes it seem like as long as I don't max her out on 29, I'll be okay? So since she's maxed out, I have nothing to worry about?

Wasn't that JUST patched?

I want to upgrade Mother Base, which takes like two hours for a single platform. So I upgrade and want to do another one but don't have enough fuel. Ahhhh but I do, it just isn't processed yet. But processing takes forever and a day. To speed up this process, I need to upgrade Mother Base. But I can't upgrade Mother Base without more fuel. Which takes forever to be processed because...

Fuck, I hate Mother Base. Mobile game timer bullshit.

it was cool when I first got over the beginning hump and I was building stuff, but once you build platforms, there's nothing to do with it. You can't add or customize each platform, and there's nothing to do when you get back to motherbase except talk to certain NPCs once their flags are up.

It's sad. There's really not much to do.

ElTorro

Didn't think of air bombardments - does she ever dodge those like the supply drops?

Sometimes she runs away before the bombs arrive, but she never dodges them per se. When she runs away, you can just shoot at her to make her stop. You don't even have to hit her.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Mission 42
is bullshit. I seem to be severely underequipped to just kill the Skulls with firepower. D-Walker's gatling gun doesn't have enough ammo to do the job, and all my other weapons don't seem to affect the Skulls at all. The fact that their skin regenerates makes it just more ludicrous. I used one tank and two D-Walker drops, and still had three Skulls left, before one of them finally one-shotted me. Is there a trick, or do I really need top equipment?

Thats a really really easy mission when you know the trick.

Use a rocket launcher and climb the ladder onto the roof of the building near you. Shoot the skulls from the roof. Dodge their rock spikes occasionally. Resupply with supply drops when you run out.

That is literally it. You can S rank it that way even.

Meier

Wasn't that JUST patched?
I thought so but I just loaded it up and the message didn't have an update saying that so I wasn't sure. Played for a bit while the update downloaded and then when I connected to the server after re-opening, it didn't have new patch notes.

Ame

I guess I am reading too much into this. The parasite kills its host by consuming their lungs, thereby rendering its host the inability to breathe.

Quiet breathes through her skin, not her lungs.

So, even assuming the parasite consumes her lungs, what kills her?

Well, I'm assuming she dies. Once she speaks English, on top of being contagious, she would become symptomatic like the Diamond Dogs soldiers on the quarantine strut. I remember someone mentioning it's certain death once you become symptomatic. Though the main reason for her leaving is she's contagious now.

Xemnas89

Well that was certainly something. Just finished it and there were certain things I liked and some I disliked.
For one I didn't really like having to replay the prologue again for the last mission but I was actually fine with the fact that you weren't really big boss. Kojima did say he wanted snake to be an extension of the player and in this case they did it literally. I still have 45 to do whenever I'm done using Quiet so I hope that mission is a good final mission. Actually I just now remembered that they seem to have completely dropped the eli story. Seemed like it was going somewhere then never got brought back up. That was kind of a shame but oh well.

Top Bottom