• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain |OT2| A Franchise Robbed Of Its Future

The way the game handles extracted guards is weird (side op spoilers)

I'm extracting heavy infantry. I need to extract 6. I just extracted one and checkpointed to confirm that he was in my base, but while attempting to take out another I screw up by throwing the magazine incorrectly and had to checkpoint.

There were six guys again, and none of them were marked like they were previously.. I will be extracting 7 out of 6 heavy infantry I'm supposed to eliminate.

I might have accidentally discovered a potential exploit, as minor and non-useful as it might be.

Caode

Well there goes my chances of 100%/Platinum - you need all blueprints for The Collector trophy/achievement, and for 100% obviously, but there's a glitch making one of them unobtainable - it seems to be a fairly common problem reading around online so unless Konami patch it then fuck that, 150 hours in - not too far off the platinum then this rears it's head.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Well there goes my chances of 100%/Platinum - you need all blueprints for The Collector trophy/achievement, and for 100% obviously, but there's a glitch making one of them unobtainable - it seems to be a fairly common problem reading around online so unless Konami patch it then fuck that, 150 hours in - not too far off the platinum then this rears it's head.
What's the glitch?

wotter

I just reached Africa, and there is a weird ass disconnect between real life <>gameplay for me there. Because I am dutch, I can actually understand afrikaans to a certain degree. So I know what the soldiers are saying, yet Ocelot keeps yapping about how we need a translator. Just shut your mouth Ocelot, I can actually understand these guys just fine without a translator :)

Lol, I was thinking the same thing ^^

Just got 250 squad members, I'm spending more time trying to find better squad members than playing.

Xanathus

So... I went back to check out Stefanie Joosten's Twitch stream to see more of her playing MGS5 but she hasn't streamed since Sep 6. I then checked out that youtuber's channel who was playing MGS5 together with Joosten but she also stopped playing MGS5 after only playing the prologue over a week ago. Does anyone else think that Joosten's streams were intentionally set up by Konami just to promote MGS5's launch where she was paid/part of her contract was to play a couple of games early on to promote the launch?

Caode

What's the glitch?

It's mostly the blueprint for the G44 in Ditadi Abandoned Village it seems from reading around - if you pick it up then die/restart mission/checkpoint, the game no longer spawns it but also fails to register you ever having picked it up, there's also some players saying that even when they picked it up and finished the story mission there it didn't register it at all. Doesn't seem to spawn in free roam either. It's not happening to everyone obviously since some people have acquired all blueprints/100% but it seems really common.

brau

From the other thread.

Just talking to a friend. Discussing some elements that i think would make the game a lot richer.

1) Don't leave the deployment to be a game you don't play.

The whole idea of sending your troops to do things that affect the game is kinda lame. The RPS article mentions this, and its true. I wish we would do this kind of thing within the game. Actually. i wish outposts and bases or fortress had this included. For example. The comms array and comms links and communication control is a good indication that you can do something to make your life easier, its not an objective, but if you tackle these, then you have more freedom. You not only do it yourself, but you see the ramification of your actions within the game in real time. This is awesome!!! The game needs more of this.

What if there is a base that supplies all of the helmets and upgrades to other outposts? then you can take these out to disable them. Not permanently, but at least until they rebuild it. Its a handicap, and every time you go back to it, they try to adapt to your last gameplay to change things up. Barricades, air support. things of the sort.

BUt lets take this even further. This place sends regular shipments by truck to supply. What if each outpost and base had a space reserved to receive this... you have options now. You can track these trucks, sneak into them, and travel into the place to infiltrate its core. Things branch from here. You can disrupt the truck and cut off the supply. you can steal the truck and reinforce your army. or you can get to the objective, disable the space in the fortress and see things happen.

Lets go even deeper tho!! If you keep disrupting the trucks... they start to supply by air.. using helicopters. you take them down, they send a detail to protect them. you keep going... they send a detail and decoys... to keep you on your toes.

The whole idea is that you are the one that is making the choice to make the game adapt to you. Not the other way around. This makes the gameplay more dynamic, and you feel like the outcome of a scenario is totally based on you, and not of something that is happening off screen.

This post sent me to hell, but we are going even deeper still. ALL FOR THE LUST OF A BETTER GAME!! so... you have all this branching. What if you left them alone... places would get reinforced, what if your actions made the world build things to respond to you. If you keep attacking a place with force they build barricades and trenches. If you tend to hit and run, they build pursue vehicles that chase you until you either engage them or you loose them and be sneaky. Even more fun, a team that is dedicated to hunting you down and ambushing you at times, this could be avoided by collecting intel and going back to some of the places to get data or disrupt or destroy certain outposts. This kind of choices really make the game react to the things you do. Having soldiers just wear a gas mask, or helmets is a great idea, but it doesn't happen as often as it should.

What else... i guess i can keep adding layers of this kind of gameplay. But the truth is... the game needs more things happening around you and affecting you, instead of waiting for you to interact with them. More wild life... like riding your jeep and you see a pack of animals just living their life. Or maybe some hienas taking on a pack of AI. I dunno... keep it fresh. there is plenty of space to make things fun.

i just figured that the game would be a whole lot more unpredictable and fun. Think about you see these two guys at an outpost... they are talking about you infiltrating the suppliers... they said that people are upset and they are putting a group together to hunt you down... bleep.. you get a codec call from Kaz saying "Boss... this new intel, we might want to look into it" a new marker has been added to your map.

Then you can go look for it if you want. But if you stay and listen longer, or maybe on another base, and you never got the data of the new outfit to hunt you, you hear of the path of an ambush.. bleep... you have a new target that talks about the possibility of something happening. It doesn't even need to be marked. Really. Or maybe you find a convoy of enemies going and as you follow them you see them setup camp to set up an ambush or something.

Or if you steal something from a fortress, instead of knowing you can just run away without the enemies pursuing, they have bikes, and jeeps that hunt you down. They send helicopters to track you down and are more effective, than just hiding behind a rock for a few mins until they forget anything ever happened.

I dunno.. i feel like i have to go prod at the game for it to do something. When the game should be the one messing with me most of the time.

Anyways... that is some of the ideas i was discussing and wanted to share. I am prbly full of it. what do you guys think?

TL;DR i just want things to happen.

myco666

Okay this is bullshit. Just started the game again after getting the true ending and decided to go through some sideops. Went to mission sortie and ENDGAME SPOILERS
realized Quiet is not there because of her story. Is there anyway to get her back? I really want her in some style of missions and I couldn't even try out everything with her. I am so annoyed right now since this sucks big time if I can't get her back. I can't even develop stuff for her so am I not able to get all trophies?

This game is fucking long. I'm on mission 25 but I already find myself getting a bit bored and not playing it every day any more. Most missions are pretty much doing the same thing. Anyone else feeling similar?

I'm a bit mad at myself for feeling this way already. I was so hyped and dumped so much time into the first week. I think I screwed myself over by doing so many side ops.

It's not a complete game. They rushed it and padded it out. You can't even really beat it without doing the copy/paste side ops which makes no sense because some are tied to the main story. To be honest the game is a big disappointment for me compared to past entries, but I think I would have been more impressed if we didn't have Ground Zeroes a year ago. It feels like Ground Zeroes, if Konami hadn't gutted it from MGSV and sold it for $30, would have made MGSV better if it were integrated into the product. People are asking for DLC but I've already given them $90 (Ground Zeroes + MGSV) and still don't have a complete game. This isn't all that different from Destiny when you think about it.

Travo

This game is fucking long. I'm on mission 25 but I already find myself getting a bit bored and not playing it every day any more. Most missions are pretty much doing the same thing. Anyone else feeling similar?

I'm a bit mad at myself for feeling this way already. I was so hyped and dumped so much time into the first week. I think I screwed myself over by doing so many side ops.

They really should've trimmed the fat on the main missions or rather made a good many of them side ops. It's strange to average a play time of 10 hours with a MGS game then this one clocks in at over sixty hours.

Caode

Okay this is bullshit. Just started the game again after getting the true ending and decided to go through some sideops. Went to mission sortie and ENDGAME SPOILERS
realized Quiet is not there because of her story. Is there anyway to get her back? I really want her in some style of missions and I couldn't even try out everything with her. I am so annoyed right now since this sucks big time if I can't get her back. I can't even develop stuff for her so am I not able to get all trophies?

Yeah she's gone for good. Pretty disappointing.

CO8V3VQUwAA4taV.jpg

From Kojima's twitter.

They're gonna be showing MGO soon.

I watched the original reveal recently after playing the single player and it seems like the map there is based off of a fort in the single player.

lol holy jesus i thought that was a fake image at first.

Markoman

From the other thread.

Great read. This is how open world games should work in general, but guess what, there is no open world game atm that features concepts like this or even remotely close. I had the same idea/concept for a tactical open-world game years ago when I was playing Operation Flashpoint - imagine playing a single unit in a RTS game with the ai reacting to your actions on micro (enemy soldiers) and macro level (AI general).

brau

Great read. This is how open world games should work in general, but guess what, there is no open world game atm that features concepts like this or even remotely close. I had the same idea/concept for a tactical open-world game years ago when I was playing Operation Flashpoint - imagine playing a single unit in a RTS game with the ai reacting to your actions on micro (enemy soldiers) and macro level (AI general).

Well... i think tpp has the foundation to do all of this. Even if its more on the simple side.

i just figured that the game would be a whole lot more unpredictable and fun. Think about you see these two guys at an outpost... they are talking about you infiltrating the suppliers... they said that people are upset and they are putting a group together to hunt you down... bleep.. you get a codec call from Kaz saying "Boss... this new intel, we might want to look into it" a new marker has been added to your map.

Then you can go look for it if you want. But if you stay and listen longer, or maybe on another base, and you never got the data of the new outfit to hunt you, you hear of the path of an ambush.. bleep... you have a new target that talks about the possibility of something happening. It doesn't even need to be marked. Really. Or maybe you find a convoy of enemies going and as you follow them you see them setup camp to set up an ambush or something.

Or if you steal something from a fortress, instead of knowing you can just run away without the enemies pursuing, they have bikes, and jeeps that hunt you down. They send helicopters to track you down and are more effective, than just hiding behind a rock for a few mins until they forget anything ever happened.

I dunno.. i feel like i have to go prod at the game for it to do something. When the game should be the one messing with me most of the time.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?

Gone

Forever

Prompto

Banned
I just got the end of Mission [late game spoilers?]

I think Skull Face might officially be the worst villain in the series. That "such a lust for revenge" line lived up to the hype. I was cracking up.

Markoman

Well... i think tpp has the foundation to do all of this. Even if its more on the simple side.

I'm absolutely feeling you, pal. Exactly my thoughts...less handholding via iDroid more AI capabilities like motorized hunt-squads and the terrain would be fully utilized.

The game has to many "gamey" features and the balance is kinda off...a hard-mode for the economy would fix this or at least certain aspects. Making supply drops really expensive for example would alter the game experience drastically.

There is so much wasted potential (not storywise)...
I was on a side-ops where I had to travel a really long distance and as I have arrived at some ruins the Quiet boss-battle emerged out of nowhere
This was some top-tier video gaming moment for me, which could have been easily ruined by some indication on the map/interface.

brau

I just got the end of Mission [late game spoilers?]

I think Skull Face might officially be the worst villain in the series. That "such a lust for revenge" line lived up to the hype. I was cracking up.

WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

brau

I'm absolutely feeling you, pal. Exactly my thoughts...less handholding via iDroid more AI capabilities like motorized hunt-squads and the terrain would be fully utilized.

The game has to many "gamey" features and the balance is kinda off...a hard-mode for the economy would fix this or at least certain aspects. Making supply drops really expensive for example would alter the game experience drastically.

There is so much wasted potential (not storywise)...
I was on a side-ops where I had to travel a really long distance and as I have arrived at some ruins the Quiet boss-battle emerged out of nowhere
This was some top-tier video gaming moment for me, which could have been easily ruined by some indication on the map/interface.

I guess that the game just gives you all these amazing tools and gameplay that it ends up not using them or giving you scenarios to be creative with them. Unless you are just messing around in free roam.

I agree tho... mission
and how its unlocked was awesome. Unfortunately, that just doesn't happen again. I love the talk
between soldiers on Quiet... and they give you her location.. but its never marked. I stumbled on it heading for a side op lol

Cramoss

I'm currently on mission 39 and done like 50-60 side ops so far. Do you keep getting story content if you keep doing random side ops or I can just now finish the game by only playing main missions?

I don't want to miss any story content.

Anyone?

Agentnibs

I'm contemplating just spoiling myself at the moment. The game is long, I'm forty hours in and I just completed chapter 1 and now I'm hearing the game goes on for another 20+ missions or so. Most of which just seem like hard mode versions of missions I've already done. It also doesn't help that there is next to no story at all and so many missions play so similarly.

Does chapter 2 get any better? The preview made it look interesting, but with the way they spaced out the story in chapter 1 it doesn't give me high hopes.

Caode

I'm contemplating just spoiling myself at the moment. The game is long, I'm forty hours in and I just completed chapter 1 and now I'm hearing the game goes on for another 20+ missions or so. Most of which just seem like hard mode versions of missions I've already done. It also doesn't help that there is next to no story at all and so many missions play so similarly.

Does chapter 2 get any better? The preview made it look interesting, but with the way they spaced out the story in chapter 1 it doesn't give me high hopes.

Chapter 2 isn't all that long compared to Chapter 1 and you don't have to play the extreme versions of Chapter 1 missions. Just important Side Ops.

i was running after 2 vehicles in one of those vehicle missions, trying to fulton them. smoke grenades didn't work and i didn't want to altert them. the first stopped for some reason so i had a small window to fulton the 2nd. the 1st was a real bitch, had to run after it until the next outpost. i'm sure this was the most ridiculous way to do this mission, but that's why i love MGS i guess.

brau

i was running after 2 vehicles in one of those vehicle missions, trying to fulton them. smoke grenades didn't work and i didn't want to altert them. the first stopped for some reason so i had a small window to fulton the 2nd. the 1st was a real bitch, had to run after it until the next outpost. i'm sure this was the most ridiculous way to do this mission, but that's why i love MGS i guess.

I just layed down next to the road... left a big truck in the way... and fultoned them.

or... you can shoot at them... from the side, by the time you are on them, they don't have the range to shoot at you since you are super close. just fulton as they wonder what is going on.

JackelZXA

Is moving my save off of my ps4 the only way to properly replay MGS5 and see all the cinematics again? (A lot of mother base and between mission cutscenes I don't think you can rewatch?) I've been thinking of how long it'd take me to play all the story missions without dangling around in the side ops forever and open worlding for 50 hours like I've been doing. Would creating another profile on my PS4 work as well for a fresh new game? Would I have access to my CE content as long as it's on the same system?

Also YongYea was talking about it but with TGS there's presentations scheduled for MGO and presentations scheduled for MGSV separately. They're showing off Online as it's own thing in the schedule, so I'm really interested why V would come, too. I'd absolutely love if THAT was the rumored dlc announcement. It'd be the best time. People are just beating the game and feeling a phantom pain. I just want a third map... ;p

Woffls

When do I start finding S+ soldiers? Never seen one above S. I don't know what factors are involved but my heroism is 750k....

Loomba

How can I get mission 45 to appear?

I've just
listened to the tape explaining that Huey added the beta rays to cause the radiation, although there isn't anything after that?

Caode

How can I get mission 45 to appear?

I've just
listened to the tape explaining that Huey added the beta rays to cause the radiation, although there isn't anything after that?

It wouldn't appear for me either even though I seemed to have met all the requirements, I just went and replayed a mission/side op then the cutscene triggered when I finished whatever mission I replayed.

Groof

Get Sinful Butterfly for Quiet. Four shots takes out one of the Skulls. If you climb on to the closest roof you will be safe from all stuff except the exploding ground spike. Rather easy S-Rank this way.

Sorry misclicked. Meant 43.

I just layed down next to the road... left a big truck in the way... and fultoned them.

or... you can shoot at them... from the side, by the time you are on them, they don't have the range to shoot at you since you are super close. just fulton as they wonder what is going on.

yup. i was running after them, so there was no time to lay out traps. gonna try shooting next time. was too afraid to alert them.

Top Bottom