• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain |OT2| A Franchise Robbed Of Its Future

Braag

Mission 43 spoilers

Do I really have to shoot my own men? I just walked past everyone until I got the goggles and now they tell me to shoot the ones who are infected (which is everyone), it's fucking terrible. Now I'm in a room with people saluting me... do I really have to kill them all or can I just walk away and finish the mission all the same? I don't want to do it :(

Also fuck the iDroid telling me a staff member has died after each shot.

As much as i love the game there's one thing that bugs me (minor mission 23 spoiler).
Why the hell did they make the leader of the African child soldiers white. It just feels really weird that he's the only white one, and when you first meet him he's sitting on his throne like a king...... Also where the heck are the black characters?

ramyeon

Yeah, it's weird.
Now a boy runs around with a psychic, a small army so child soldiers and a giant robot and given that it's Liquid just loses most of it off-screen between games.
The cut episode seems to cover all this - mid way through watching it now and it would have been amazing if it had been included. Shame that it wasn't, would've made the game even better.

Randam

i dont even understand why this game has a checkpoint system. I just did some of the hardest optional tasks in the game during a total stealth mission. Got spotted at the very end, literally during the extraction. So it threw me back to the beginning of the mission with all of my tasks wiped.

I had that yesterday, did everything, got spotted while running to the chopper, got shot in the face while sitting in the choppet.
Got transferred back to the start of the mission...

there are only checkpoints in the open world.
right as you start a mission/side op, there isn't a new checkpoint.
next one comes, when you complet the mission, or leave the area.

gotta love even more those "WOW! 35 hours in and only 22 percent complete this game is massive!" now that i've finished the game at 46% with every mission done except for like 3 side-ops

lol

people are stupid.

SJRB

Gold Member
Wow, staying away from the Spoiler Thread. It's just an echo chamber of negativity. Fuck that, I loved this game.

No it's not, don't be absurd. As you can see in this thread as well, the game's ending and narrative structure leave a lot of people confused and disappointed.

myco666

there are only checkpoints in the open world.
right as you start a mission/side op, there isn't a new checkpoint.
next one comes, when you complet the mission, or leave the area.

There are checkpoints in bunch of missions. Atleast I have many times failed a mission at halfway and restarted almost the exact place where I failed. Some missions have you start over though or just outside of the enemy camp. Sideops doesn't have checkpoints though but they are so short that there is no need for them.

Guru-Guru

Banned
Nevermind, beat mission 31 with a S rank
just stayed really close to him the whole fight, and beat him in under 5 minutes. My 3 previous attempts I was running around trying to stay really far away, which was a dumb strategy. On my 4th go I almost fucked it up when I shot my RPG way too close to him for the final shot. I triggered the ending cutscene thankfully, if not, I would have died for sure.

Greddleok

Welp, a certain buddy,
Quiet, has officially left me, and mission 50 is extreme sehalanthropus. Quiet would have been really, really useful there, all the other buddies are trash for that mission. D-Dog has no use and dies too easily, D-Horse has no use and D-Walker, well he's not fully upgraded, but I can't see him being stronger than the tanks you find lying around.

Any tips on S-ranking that mission without
Quiet
?

RedAssedApe

Banned
hmm...yeah doing side ops is getting boring now. i guess its time to finish the game. this same thing happened to me with witcher 3. ten more missions to go

inevitable with open world games i guess

Welp, a certain buddy,
Quiet, has officially left me, and mission 50 is extreme sehalanthropus. Quiet would have been really, really useful there, all the other buddies are trash for that mission. D-Dog has no use and dies too easily, D-Horse has no use and D-Walker, well he's not fully upgraded, but I can't see him being stronger than the tanks you find lying around.

Quiet
?

Run around him with a rocket launcher and don't leave the starting area. it's a ridiculous easy S Rank. It's a broken boss....

that people still try to say is a good boss, and that the bosses in this game are good.

I keep seeing people complain about the side ops burning them out.

For the most part I have stopped doing them, they are highly repetitive and use the same areas the main missions use.

I will do the ones that look quirky/ unique or the wandering mother base soldiers but at this point I'm happier blitzing through the main game

I hear at a certain point you are forced to play side ops to continue main game progress and that's when I'll catch up on them.

Beyond that my plan is to basically finish the main game and then keep side ops as a fun bite sized stealth mission I can do on a daily basis when I have chance to keep me playing. I suspect I'll have something like 60-70 left to complete and that will be great as a way to keep me playing beyond the main game

KainXVIII

So there is no "point of no return"? You can play after ending?
I only finish 20 story missions and its already more than 35 hours playtime, damn, i need to get faster, lol

aember

Welp, a certain buddy,

Quiet
?
You can use the
Armor Parasite
with the
Parasite Suit
for the easiest S rank of your life. The description is broken for that;
Mist and Armor don't prevent S ranks

I'm on mission 25 now. 30 hours or so in. I've been playing little chunks where I can, pretty busy right now. I think a better way to play this would be to sit down for a few hours with it and blast through some of the missions because going in and doing one or two 20 minute missions with little to no story content isn't that satisfying anymore since I more than feel like I've seen what the open world gameplay has to offer. Ready to hurry up and get on with it and just see what the story has in store because what is there, and there's enough of it if you think of it on its own and not 1 minute cutscenes separated by an hour of running around and managing resources etc, is good enough.

Which is pretty much exactly how I expected to feel when I snap returned this game after playing 2 hours of it and then was convinced to cancel the return by people who were saying that it got a lot more interesting. It's true that some of the missions, especially with the buddy stuff and some of the additional tools and weapons, have been really fun. But for every fun mission there's a boring one that is the same as another.

The open world template is exhausted. If it's going to boil down to just inflating games with micromanagement of stuff which honestly, has no fun component to it, and long stretches of generic gameplay which repeats, then I'd rather have things condensed down to exploit the core mechanics in their most interesting ways, and just deliver the goods without all this running around.

Really mixed feelings about it overall after 30 hours. I want it to hurry up and be over, and yet I'm enjoying parts of it every time I sit down and play. There's also this weird feeling I have about the game of it being undercooked and yet there's so much of it to wade through. Things like graphical design elements seem without personality, the gameplay has a core scenario which it iterates on over and over but somehow rarely seems to do anything really exciting except when it deviates from it in some way, like with a unique encounter or setpiece.

Does anyone else feel like the game is exactly what they expected in both good and bad ways? I'm still steering clear of all spoilers, but like some people have said if I get any more burnt out, I'm just gonna youtube some of the future stuff to get the desire to see it out of my system and then try and enjoy the gameplay for what it is over a longer period of time where I might even sit it down and come back to it in a few months.

Some of this open world stuff just feels like work I need to wade through to get a paycheck at the end of the week. It's a formula so many games use just to keep you chugging along, and I guess it's fine and can be enjoyable depending on how bored and in need of distraction I am but jeez, just get to the point already.

As for side ops - haha, hell no am I doing any of that crap. Maybe I'll dip into it in a replay someday, if I ever do, but the main missions are superfluous as it is.

Vex_

Banned
hmm...yeah doing side ops is getting boring now. i guess its time to finish the game. this same thing happened to me with witcher 3. ten more missions to go

inevitable with open world games i guess

Don't you just love it though? Like an all you can eat buffet. Eat until you are full, then leave when you want to. Or stick around...

This is the ultimate Metal Gear experience. All you can eat Metal Gear gameplay.

Don't you just love it though? Like an all you can eat buffet. Eat until you are full, then leave when you want to. Or stick around...

This is the ultimate Metal Gear experience. All you can eat Metal Gear gameplay.

Except it's like an all you can eat buffet of bread, and you need to finish the bread before you are allowed to get the steak and by that time you're a little sick.

SomTervo

What I love about the game is that while it has quite a few of the classic MGS levels it also kind of shows the intelligence work that leads up to them. I really enjoy the missions where you go and track targets, abduct them, etc to gain other leads. When you get some of the cassettes near the end of Chapter 1 it actually makes the whole thing pretty tight and shows a much stronger throughline than immediately apparent.

It feels like a previous MGS game would have just started at Level 28
infiltration to get Code Talker
with a long mission briefing talking about all that went before (the target, his goals, your opposition). Instead that's not needed in MGSV because you've played through all of those steps yourself.

This. Totally agreed.

Basically MGSV is the most 'holistic' Metal Gear game it's possible to have.

We are in charge of the organisation behind the scenes, with a financial and ethical motive to do stealth operations. We are in charge of gathering intel for the stealth operations. We are in charge of travelling to the stealth operations. We are in charge of completing the stealth operations and escaping. We are in charge of what operations we do next and how we approach it.

In the previous games, only the middle step would be the 'gameplay experience'. Only the 'completing the stealth operation' (and maybe escaping). It's just an amazing vision.

Spazznid

Mission 43 spoilers

Do I really have to shoot my own men? I just walked past everyone until I got the goggles and now they tell me to shoot the ones who are infected (which is everyone), it's fucking terrible. Now I'm in a room with people saluting me... do I really have to kill them all or can I just walk away and finish the mission all the same? I don't want to do it :(

Also fuck the iDroid telling me a staff member has died after each shot.

You sweet summer child.

ramyeon

This. Totally agreed.

Basically MGSV is the most 'holistic' Metal Gear game it's possible to have.

We are in charge of the organisation behind the scenes, with a financial and ethical motive to do stealth operations. We are in charge of gathering intel for the stealth operations. We are in charge of travelling to the stealth operations. We are in charge of completing the stealth operations and escaping. We are in charge of what operations we do next and how we approach it.

In the previous games, only the middle step would be the 'gameplay experience'. Only the 'completing the stealth operation' (and maybe escaping). It's just an amazing vision.
Pretty much how I feel. I'm going to spoiler this, end game spoilers.

Ironically (And definitely what Kojima was aiming for considering the last monologue that Punished Snake hears on the tape from Big Boss) this game makes me feel like I'm playing as and am Big Boss/Snake more than any other game in the series. It's pulled off really well.

It's just a blast to play, and I'm having a lot of fun watching LPs on YouTube as well - it's crazy how different missions can play out depending on all the variables and how you approach them.

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
I love the way this game makes you think. Constantly throwing curveballs into you strategy and giving you new toys to use. Even remembering strategy games it's hard to think of a game that made me think this much.

Completed Mission 30 with a C rank, but I don't care. I was ready to spill not just the blood of my opposition, but my own blood as well. It was fucking worth it.
will have to replay it to get the cassette tape, whatever it is

Was halfway close to completing 31 but I got OHKO >.<

I did mission
for the first time and it wasn't that hard, not easy but not "i'm gonna spoil myslef on YT cuz I can't pass this shit"-hard. I just used
the CGM25 and got a S rank on the 3rd try. Just lock a tank, fire and run in cover.

Blackthorn

"hello?" "this is vagina"
The difficulty curve in this game is perfect. Every time I start relying on a certain set up and start thinking, "Huh, this is getting a bit easy," the game puts up a new obstacle.

By forcing me out of my comfort zone so regularly I've toyed with weapons and items and found whole new approaches I'd never have considered otherwise.

As much as I love Witcher 3, the difficulty curve was atrocious, punishing at the start but by the end I was literally invincible, even on the hardest difficulty.

I think I'm approaching 70 hours and parts development tree still make me excited like a kid before Christmas.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
I started out all stealthy and non-violent and shit, but hell, the enemies want to escalate? Fine. Fuck you and your future. Now you die and you'll never even see it coming. You could've just taken a little nap and subsequently woken up a bit groggy, but alive. Now you get to wake up in hell.

soultron

Banned
Same here. Yesterday I was like "I'll just do the Afghanistan side ops before I continue in Africa". 4 hours later new stuff still kept popping up :(
If it makes you feel any better, you eventually stop receiving side ops in Afghanistan around mission 14-16. I've not had any new ones there in quite some time, and now in Africa I'm only getting 2-3 every time I beat a mission. It's manageable now, feels like.

I'm sure if new missions pop up in Afghanistan, side ops will show up with them.

Can someone help me with the animal capture ? I have 44/47 animals captured and I miss one between Trumpeter Hornbill and Oriental Stork), one between Rock Hyrax and Sand cat and the last one on the list.

I think the hornbill I saw in the mine mission? Might be wrong. But I seriously don't remeber collecting half the things it says I have.

Edit: oh you want the unknowns between the gaps, my bad.

SJRB

Gold Member
You know, going out of your way to collect 100 fuel somehow isn't really worth it if you have to collect 48,000 units to build a platform.

I like raiding outposts and bases for resources, but 48,000 units of fuel for the 4th platform is insane. That's 48,000 x 6 to maximize your Mother Base. I suppose the point is to push you towards the FOB gameplay, but come on.

Top Bottom