• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain |OT2| A Franchise Robbed Of Its Future

Got around 13,000 of my unprocessed fuel resources and 5000 of my minor metal resources stolen and the dudes got a level 30 base so I probably won't be able to steal it back.

I'm salty as fuck.
especially cuz it's fuel :O

not enough fuel is always what holds me back... drowning in bio and not enough fuel (what? no biodiesel :p)
Dismiss all the soldiers with the trouble maker skill. There are ways to mitigate it either by paring them up in the same division or loading up staff with the diplomat skill but really it's just easier to get rid of them.
I actually always try do that... after every missions and after every few side ops/disaptches just in case the annoying auto-manage screws it up, I'll check... and I still get ppl going to the sick bay ...so i'm not sure if the 'pairing' actually works -- does it stop sickbay visits for you?

btw... is there any way to turn off auto-manage? :p the XCOM or 4X strategy gamer in me rather just take the time to do it all by hand, but then every time the iDroid opens it checks to see if it needs auto-managing lol

ramyeon

Just unlocked episode 46.

I'm shocked at some of the criticism about chapter 2. I never felt like I had to grind. Just did a couple of side ops here and there, only did two of the "difficult" repeat missions. I had expected it to take ages from what I had heard but it was super quick to do.

So many great story beats in chapter 2 as well. Goddammit Huey was a dark horse indeed.

Vuze

Getting to the point where I want to YT the rest of the game's cinematics anyway and just give up playing it myself. The way this game focuses on driving its own economies with side ops really preys on my obsessive completionist side. I feel like I can't play a main mission until my side ops are all completed, so I'm 50 hours deep and only on mission 17 now. I've already finished nearly 35% of the 157 side ops, in comparison.

I hate myself for forcing to play this way.
Same here. Yesterday I was like "I'll just do the Afghanistan side ops before I continue in Africa". 4 hours later new stuff still kept popping up :(

Chariot

especially cuz it's fuel :O

not enough fuel is always what holds me back... drowning in bio and not enough fuel (what? no biodiesel :p)
Not enough fuel? Just steal it from someone else. :p
Seriously you can see what you definitly can grab from an enemy before you invade him.

Hatchtag

Banned
Stuck in menus? First time I hear it and it hasn't happened to me yet. Strange.

Stuck in menus wasn't a glitch, but just a weird way of a tutorial popping up during a completely unrelated mission and not allowing me to do anything else until I completed it. Was confusing enough to seem like a glitch.

The controls and sound randomly freezing still sucks, though.

Salsa

uh so

I just unlocked mission 46 and am playing it

I unlocked it right after 43

I did nothing

and im reading that supposedly you gotta get rid of Quiet, get it after playing 47-50 etc

the hell

guess I did something right.. or wrong

ramyeon

uh so

I did nothing

and im reading that supposedly you gotta get rid of Quiet, get it after playing 47-50 etc

the hell

You don't need to do any of those things to unlock 46 - I just did a few side ops in between the story missions here and there.

uh so

I did nothing

the hell

Nope. You did nothing wrong. The mission structure in this game is that bad. Enjoy all that post game content with it!

Jesus, just finished Mission 31.

Holy fuck that was an info dump. And...emotion dump. When Boss is standing over
Skullface and he's begging to be killed and it gives you the option to pull the trigger, I didn't do shit. And then Miller grabbed my arm and made me shoot off his leg and arm.
Not gonna lie, that was fucking brutal.

Salsa

btw: im dreading this mission 46 bullshit so far

not surprising if you read my
early game comments

like yeah I get it already

y u make me do this

LeonSPBR

Jesus, just finished Mission 31.

Holy fuck that was an info dump. And...emotion dump. When Boss is standing over
Skullface and he's begging to be killed and it gives you the option to pull the trigger, I didn't do shit. And then Miller grabbed my arm and made me shoot off his leg and arm.
Not gonna lie, that was fucking brutal.

If you shoot at him with BB, he doesn't die, it just injures him and you have flashback as BB in the hospital. So BB is just crippling just like he was after the attack on MB at the end of GZ.

Vaga

I just finished a combat deployment that basically set me up for life.

Roughly 20.000.000 GMP worth of Precious Metals. Ridiculous.

Rough diamond hunting and low-level deployments can now kindly fuck off.

If you really think 20mil is enough for every upgrade you're gonna have a bad time.

Groof

Just unlocked episode 46.

I'm shocked at some of the criticism about chapter 2. I never felt like I had to grind. Just did a couple of side ops here and there, only did two of the "difficult" repeat missions. I had expected it to take ages from what I had heard but it was super quick to do.

So many great story beats in chapter 2 as well. Goddammit Huey was a dark horse indeed.

Yep.
I think in contrast to the densely packed chapter 1 it being so sparse in comparison is what turns people off.

But I'm still quite enjoying it. Looking forward to episode 46.

Salsa

I never had to grind either

I think the hate chapter 2 gets is mostly cause it just.. isnt as good as 1

like not even remotely

I enjoyed it but nothing much happened

also again regarding mission 46; I cannot believe they're
making me do this whole thing

this is my face throughout :|

Sayter

Had to give Quiet the night off. Put her on cover fire mode and she pops anyone who dares stick their head out. I finally got her a tranq sniper rifle because she kept killing all the A+ level soldiers. But then I forgot to give her the cease fire order. So everytime I went to kick an unconscience person awake to get some info outta them - phew - the sucker goes right back down. Was actually hilarious the first few times.

ramyeon

If you shoot at him with BB, he doesn't die, it just injures him and you have flashback as BB in the hospital. So BB is just crippling just like he was after the attack on MB at the end of GZ.
He doesn't even injure him if you shoot, he misses (Deliberately or subconsciously) every time.

Cramoss

Alright, just got bored of doing a lot of side ops (like 80-90 in total) and nothing has happened story wise since
the missing 5 child soldiers
. I'll only play main missions from now on (currently on 40).

What's funny to me is that you try and KILL the tank unit....I always try to extract, no matter what.
i have a bit of a scorched earth policy, to borrow their language haha

so i try to be conservative with my extractions so i that can still enjoy all the fun ways to kill or blow up stuff :D

also i stealth fully too where it especially makes story sense ... variety is the spice of life!

i dont even understand why this game has a checkpoint system. I just did some of the hardest optional tasks in the game during a total stealth mission. Got spotted at the very end, literally during the extraction. So it threw me back to the beginning of the mission with all of my tasks wiped.

ramyeon

Finished the true ending.

Honestly loved every second of this game. It is the best Metal Gear in my eyes, even if just for the gameplay alone. I can understand why some may dislike the twist at the end (Not being Naked Snake), but the idea that you didn't play as Big Boss is not true. Naked Snake even says as much at the end - that both he and Venom are two parts of a whole, they are together the legend of Big Boss. Big Boss is not a man, it's a legend, an idea.

The fourth wall breaking stuff was great in 46. I put in my real name and birthday so seeing that on the back of the photo and Snake's new passport was great haha. Forgot I'd even done that by that point.

I dunno I thought it was all fucking awesome.

Salsa

... what was even that ending

game
fellating itself over a "clever" twist that has.. no sense whatsoever, nor any bearing or closure on anything that happened other than "HA TWIST!"

:|

edit: ha.

Finished the true ending.

Honestly loved every second of this game. It is the best Metal Gear in my eyes, even if just for the gameplay alone. I can understand why some may dislike the twist at the end (Not being Naked Snake), but the idea that you didn't play as Big Boss is not true. Naked Snake even says as much at the end - that both he and Venom are two parts of a whole, they are together the legend of Big Boss. Big Boss is not a man, it's a legend, an idea.

The fourth wall breaking stuff was great in 46. I put in my real name and birthday so seeing that on the back of the photo and Snake's new passport was great haha. Forgot I'd even done that by that point.

I dunno I thought it was all fucking awesome.

... what was even that ending

game
fellating itself over a "clever" twist that has.. no sense whatsoever, nor any bearing or closure on anything that happened other than "HA TWIST!"

:|

Metal Gear.

S ranked everything available that dosent require
losing quiet, im never doing that
Now all i have left is endless hunting for S++ ranks.
Sitting at 600k heroism and not a single damn one
The longer u play this game the more the flaws and repetitiveness stick out imo

Cyborg

I love this game, but the more I play it the more Ive come to realize that I miss my old Metal Gear style.

Dont get me wrong, I enjoy this game but after 50 side ops and 20 main ops I have the feeling that I am doing always the same thing (in the same village) I miss the amazing cutscenes, I miss the way you play it.

I cant shake the feeling that this is (in my opinion) the worst MGS game I have played (not regarding gameplay) but the overall feeling.

Salsa

gotta love even more those "WOW! 35 hours in and only 22 percent complete this game is massive!" now that i've finished the game at 46% with every mission done except for like 3 side-ops

lol

web01

i dont even understand why this game has a checkpoint system. I just did some of the hardest optional tasks in the game during a total stealth mission. Got spotted at the very end, literally during the extraction. So it threw me back to the beginning of the mission with all of my tasks wiped.

Yeah it is really stupid.
But I think you can create an artificial checkpoint by changing gear / getting new weapon via a supply drop.

I had that yesterday, did everything, got spotted while running to the chopper, got shot in the face while sitting in the choppet.
Got transferred back to the start of the mission...

Chariot

gotta love even more those "WOW! 35 hours in and only 22 percent complete this game is massive!" now that i've finished the game at 46% with every mission done except for like 3 side-ops

lol
I had worse. All my Batman games are at 20 hours/2x% and finished, similiar for Saint's Row. I actually enjoy takinh over outposts opposed to collecting riddler trophies.

Salsa

looks like it took me 54 hours to finish. at least that's what steam says. I feel like it was longer

i'll keep at it tomorrow for a bit since I havent seen stuff like
Quiet's ending
but its pretty much done

akira28

oh my fucing god the checkpoint on backup, backdown is brutal. I have restarted this mission like...multiple times. I had one last prisoner to 100% it and the fucking
gunship...the fucking gunship
. GODDAMIT

justjim89

How do I get the next story mission? My last one was
clearing out the quarantine platform.
Yeesh what a rough scene. Going through side ops trying to avoid doing any of the bullshit hardmode story missions. What do I need to do to push the story forward. I've done everything in yellow except a combat deployment mission that requires a tank that my team keeps losing.

OrochiJR

I just finished a combat deployment that basically set me up for life.

Roughly 20.000.000 GMP worth of Precious Metals. Ridiculous.

Rough diamond hunting and low-level deployments can now kindly fuck off.

That sounds great. What are the requirements for this mission?

Yeah it is really stupid.
But I think you can create an artificial checkpoint by changing gear / getting new weapon via a supply drop.

No you cant. I was having to switch to sneaking suit every time I reloaded checkpoint. Unless its just this mission that wants to fuck the player even more

Guru-Guru

Banned
I know it's been probably been asked a million times, but for mission 31 is there
any cheap way to beat the boss? With the Skulls in the previous mention I just went on a roof where they were pretty much unable to attack me. I want to cheese this fight too!

Chariot

Haha, pretty much.

I feel great about this game. Very positive all around. I hear there was cut content so I'm keen to go and see that now.

I do feel like they just left the Eli stuff hanging - obviously they intended to take that somewhere.
Yeah, it's weird.
Now a boy runs around with a psychic, a small army so child soldiers and a giant robot and given that it's Liquid just loses most of it off-screen between games.

Salsa

Wow, staying away from the Spoiler Thread. It's just an echo chamber of negativity. Fuck that, I loved this game.

why stay away from opinions. people have em

I really enjoyed my time with the game and overall really liked it; I think most people did

the universal hate seems to come from the completely underwhelming and garbage ending; of which i'll stop talking about here anyway

reactions that srong ussually come from people who gave the game more credit or were really enjoying it up to that point. It's not negativity; its disappointment.

Top Bottom