• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain |OT2| A Franchise Robbed Of Its Future

KarmaCow

Just ran into
the rain scene. I was pushing my back into my chair so hard I think I might've left a permanent mark. That might've been worse than the proposal scene from MGS4, which is the worst cutscene in the whole series IMO.

Well you'll be happy to know that's there something even worse.

I'm so confused. The "Customize" option in Mother Base menu disappeared and hasn't come back. I'm at Mission 20. I want to add a Suppressor to my Sniper Rifle and this is driving me nuts.

gotta say i was super happy to get a S rank in episode 20 my first try. really proud that i basically stealthed through the entire mission until
forced boss battle
which i figured out super fast.

need to repeat: first try blind! :D

CO-6U4nUAAAiC19.jpg:large

I botched that
boss fight
so badly

So, I'm at 3 DD simbols to max out DD and Quiet bonds, I love each of them, they ofer unique aproaches to the mission, DD is a hell more towards full stealth while Quiet is more about silent shots..

While Quiet can scout an area to find enemies, it is never as quick as DD and always is somewhat imprecise as some enemies are not identified, while DD cannot tranq everybody on sight like Quiet. With the "Cover Me" command, Quiet can almost capture a whole outpost

DD with Stun Suit equipped is perfection IMO. Moving sonar, can act as decoy, and KO any enemy instantly including heavy infantry.

Quiet is a bit too much of a pain to command IMO.

wiibomb

Making Kiefer tell his horse to "do it" and shit on command is probably in my top 10 of favorite metal gear things.

There are some incredibly funny kiefer lines for this game..

The one where he dumbly says "gooooood goooooood" to DD is another brilliant moment

DD with Stun Suit equipped is perfection IMO. Moving sonar, can act as decoy, and KO any enemy instantly including heavy infantry.

Quiet is a bit too much of a pain to command IMO.

It is pain if you care about exact precision in her actions, however, I learned that it is better to just equip a tranq gun to her (LOTS better if it has a silencer) and just give her the "Cover Me" command, she takes everyone out

ramyeon

Just finished Episode 43 myself and came here right away to sing praises of it, shocked to see criticism of it.

So much emotional weight for me. Seeing your soldiers surrender their lives to you in the bunker in the basement, while others tried to shoot back to fight for their lives. It felt bad every time I had to pull the trigger, especially as their names popped up above their heads and I recognized many of them from sorting through my staff up until that point.

The funeral/ash scene was super well done besides Huey being Huey. Nice touch with the shining diamond on Snake's arm post 43 too.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
I dunno, the rain scene was awkward but there was at least some hint of a heart with the both of them playing in the rain. The shower scene though...

This. Had sexual pandering gone out of the equation for that moment, it would've actually made for a lovely scene.

The shower scene on the other hand had nothing to justify its existence.

Salsa

mission 43:

if you see anyone with symptoms take em out of their misery boss

see guy clearly with symptoms

shoot him in the head

*MISSION FAILED*

man this game gets dumb sometimes

Aces&Eights

I just finished a combat deployment that basically set me up for life.

Roughly 20.000.000 GMP worth of Precious Metals. Ridiculous.

Rough diamond hunting and low-level deployments can now kindly fuck off.

All good Gaffers share their spoils.

Do tell....

Finally got to Africa.....damn it is nice to see some different landscape.

Best part is there are hardly any "walls" blocking you from your objective. However, I noticed some weird, white dot artifacts on the skybox when I was doing a mission at night. They were all uniform and went across all the dark parts of the night sky.

Got around 13,000 of my unprocessed fuel resources and 5000 of my minor metal resources stolen and the dudes got a level 30 base so I probably won't be able to steal it back.

I'm salty as fuck.

Aces&Eights

The S rank combat deployment missions (the one where you need Battle Gear, take over 2 hours and at best have a 60% success rate) have ridiculous rewards like 20k precious metals.

Hmmm, I always lose the farm when it comes to risk vs. rewards. I'm bad luck, man.

mission 43:

if you see anyone with symptoms take em out of their misery boss

see guy clearly with symptoms

shoot him in the head

*MISSION FAILED*

man this game gets dumb sometimes

I did the exact same thing.

The S rank combat deployment missions (the one where you need Battle Gear, take over 2 hours and at best have a 60% success rate) have ridiculous rewards like 20k precious metals.

Yeah, I think that was the second or third one.

Takes a lot of patience though. I fucking hate the fact that they wait until the timer has fully ran out to tell you that the mission has failed. So you're left with 2 hours wasted and a few high-rank soldiers dead.

It was worth the wait though. This one took me 3 tries.

Aces&Eights

I did the exact same thing.

Yeah, I think that was the second or third one.

Takes a lot of patience though. I fucking hate the fact that they wait until the timer has fully ran out to tell you that the mission has failed. So you're left with 2 hours wasted and a few high-rank soldiers dead.

It was worth the wait though. This one took me 3 tries.

Whelp, looks like I got some sacrificial lambs to be fultoning tomorrow after work, I gotta get paid!

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Best part is there are hardly any "walls" blocking you from your objective. However, I noticed some weird, white dot artifacts on the skybox when I was doing a mission at night. They were all uniform and went across all the dark parts of the night sky.

If Kohima was going to be around for the next one, the one thing I would love for them to fix is the the fucking sliding off unclimbable rocks....holy hell that shit is EVERYWHERE.

KarmaCow

If Kohima was going to be around for the next one, the one thing I would love for them to fix is the the fucking sliding off unclimbable rocks....holy hell that shit is EVERYWHERE.

The ability to climb over rocks is so inconsistent, did they hand design which ones you could (or couldn't) climb over?

xxracerxx

The ability to climb over rocks is so inconsistent, did they hand design which ones you could (or couldn't) climb over?

That's the terrible part, you have to approach the climbable rocks at the exact right angle and speed to get the prompt.

Hatchtag

Banned
90% of the time the Xbox One version works wonderful, but when it doesn't it is fucking irritating. Keep getting stuck in menus and having the controls, sound and visuals glitch up on me.

haha i'm so dumb... i was doing tank unit 03 in afghan with the tank and heli, and a sandstorm came

and i got so disorientated by the sandstorm, and the contrast of the sandstorm to the light's NV amplification (combined with no idea there was a mortar nearby to even consider other possibilities), i thought the light or star in the sky was the helicopter's search light

it was a flare ;p

i fire 1 rocket at the 'helicopter' lol and barely notice it passed through, was in a panic with that tank firing at me so i turned to finish the tank, and then after shot at the 'search light' again and by then i'm beginning to wtf.... turn around and the helicopter is behind me... the 'star' was just brightened by the NV in a sandstorm... so i was firing at a flare ;p

dumb moment but sort of represents how random or unplanned combat situations in this game can be haha still fun that a mistake from disorientation (or poor scouting missing the mortar being another likely light source lol) like this could even happen
yeah i've found that too... i find myself spamming Triangle a lot... I actually like to play HUD-less so I actually tried playing with Action HUD pop-ups turned off, but similar to Deus Ex Human Revolution, the game isn't really visually intuitive to turn it off... you'll end of spamming action buttons so much because it looks like it should work but it doesn't, or vice versa

KarmaCow

Am I missing something? I've been in an endless loop of
discharged from med bay
fighting has broken out

Repeat that hundreds of times.

Dismiss all the soldiers with the trouble maker skill. There are ways to mitigate it either by paring them up in the same division or loading up staff with the diplomat skill but really it's just easier to get rid of them.

xxracerxx

haha i'm so dumb... i was doing tank unit 03 in afghan with the tank and heli, and a sandstorm came

and i got so disorientated by the sandstorm, and the contrast of the sandstorm to the light's NV amplification (combined with no idea there was a mortar nearby to even consider other possibilities), i thought the light or star in the sky was the helicopter's search light

it was a flare ;p

i fire 1 rocket at the 'helicopter' lol and barely notice it passed through, was in a panic with that tank firing at me so i turned to finish the tank, and then after shot at the 'search light' again and by then i'm beginning to wtf.... turn around and the helicopter is behind me... the 'star' was just brightened by the NV in a sandstorm... so i was firing at a flare ;p

dumb moment but sort of represents how random or unplanned combat situations in this game can be haha still fun that a mistake from disorientation (or poor scouting missing the mortar being another likely light source lol) like this could even happen

yeah i've found that too... i find myself spamming Triangle a lot... I actually like to play HUD-less so I actually tried playing with Action HUD pop-ups turned off, but similar to Deus Ex Human Revolution, the game isn't really visually intuitive to turn it off... you'll end of spamming action buttons so much because it looks like it should work but it doesn't, or vice versa

What's funny to me is that you try and KILL the tank unit....I always try to extract, no matter what.

xxracerxx

It actually annoys me that you either need to kill or extract them. I don't want to kill them but I don't want scrubs in my Mother Base either.

Dismiss is a god send. All it take is 200 people in the waiting room for me to get rid of the scrubs.

soultron

Banned
Mission 16.
So awful to have a trap like that sprung on you if you're playing stealthily and setting up traps.

I fumbled around trying to figure out if I did anything wrong until I finally decided to just throw a stun grenade as soon as they popped out so I could fulton the truck. I had to book it (on foot) to the chopper under heavy fire (red jam all over the screen) after that and it was just not fun.

I still got an S-rank somehow though!

Really hope there are no more missions like this in the game. Really frustrating.

KarmaCow

Dismiss is a god send. All it take is 200 people in the waiting room for me to get rid of the scrubs.

I'm running at near max capacity most of the time now, with some hand placed staff in certain division to get to certain thresholds, so the micromanagement of dealing with a scrub filling up a division, possibly blocking a better soldier is annoying. If only you could dismiss them from the brig before Ocelot even bothers with his brainwashing.

ramyeon

I've heard about fights breaking out on Mother Base and troublemakers but I must've been lucky - nearing the end of chapter 2 now and never had any of that or needed to dismiss anyone.

90% of the time the Xbox One version works wonderful, but when it doesn't it is fucking irritating. Keep getting stuck in menus and having the controls, sound and visuals glitch up on me.

Stuck in menus? First time I hear it and it hasn't happened to me yet. Strange.

xxracerxx

I'm running at near max capacity most of the time now, with some hand placed staff in certain division to get to certain thresholds, so the micromanagement of dealing with a scrub filling up a division, possibly blocking a better soldier is annoying. If only you could dismiss them from the brig before Ocelot even bothers with his brainwashing.

I am always at max with staff these days, the game does a good job of switching out old soldiers with new into the best units as soon as you get them to MB. That is why I am saying the waiting room is where you just go to dismiss 100 staff at a time. Basically I just say good-bye to anyone with a stat of C or lower these days.

soultron

Banned
Getting to the point where I want to YT the rest of the game's cinematics anyway and just give up playing it myself. The way this game focuses on driving its own economies with side ops really preys on my obsessive completionist side. I feel like I can't play a main mission until my side ops are all completed, so I'm 50 hours deep and only on mission 17 now. I've already finished nearly 35% of the 157 side ops, in comparison.

I hate myself for forcing to play this way.

Top Bottom